Surprised when reading dvd reviews

I think that most who are really serious about working out can ignore the music if the workout is good enough. If you are going to deprive yourself out of a good workout because you don't care about the music, that means you probably lack motivation anyway and probably aren't very dedicated to getting into shape. Background music is way to trivial to determine whether or not I'm going to skip out on or get rid of a great fitness dvd.

I'm not here to bash the thread or disagree with the general thoughts in it, not at all. I haven't even done any of the new workouts just yet and don't yet have the time, but I am thrilled to have them and will love most of them when I do get the chance. That's good enough for me.

I love the option of triple tracks: most fitness DVDs out there do not give me any choices for music at all and they still charge $19.99, and no premixes either! With the exception of Cathe and Kelly Coffey-Meyer, the premix queens. From all the clips I watched, I was sitting, rocking along with the soundtrack as a teen in the 80's and with teens now, it's perfect for me, I know most of the songs and I love it. It's completely energizing and that's exactly what I need.

However, I disagree most heartily with the statement above. Please don't make assumptions about people who need energizing music in order to get through workouts. Don't assume I'm lazier than you or take my workouts any less seriously than you do. Music matters to me far more than it does to you, that's the only difference between us. The choice of music does matter: it can make an otherwise good workout very unappealing and lessen my energy while I do it. Alternatively, fantastic music can power me through a workout even if it's tough and I'm exhausted: Low Max and Imax 2 are perfect examples of this.

I do choose workouts based on music because the main reason I workout is to beat stress since I have a tendency to get depressed. That's why one of my favourite things to do is powerwalk with my own soundtracks. Music is sometimes the only thing that can get me out of the slump. At those times, the fitness benefit is the icing on the cake.

Please don't generalize about the rest of us.

Meanwhile, I look forward to getting on top of my current work and family load so I can actually try out some of these workouts with their most excellent sound tracks: they are gonna rock.

Clare

Hi Clare, I just wanted to say your posts are very enjoyable to read. They are always so on the mark for me. I guess it's because I always agree with you! :D

On a side note, isn't it ironic to complain about the people who are complainers?

Last edited:
She actually did only give 4 stars not five....if I remember not only did she say the music was too loud but said it was pop-tardish!!!

4 stars means great...so that did not lower the rating!! I think that you are over exaggerating a bit. If she would have given the workout 2 stars or 1 star that would have been a bad rating and would have lower it but 4 stars...that means great. Remember 3 stars means good 4 is great, and 5 would have been excellent. She gave the workout 4 stars therefore saying it is great...so let's not over exaggerate!

However, I disagree most heartily with the statement above. Please don't make assumptions about people who need energizing music in order to get through workouts. Don't assume I'm lazier than you or take my workouts any less seriously than you do. Music matters to me far more than it does to you, that's the only difference between us. The choice of music does matter: it can make an otherwise good workout very unappealing and lessen my energy while I do it. Alternatively, fantastic music can power me through a workout even if it's tough and I'm exhausted: Low Max and Imax 2 are perfect examples of this.

I do choose workouts based on music because the main reason I workout is to beat stress since I have a tendency to get depressed. That's why one of my favourite things to do is powerwalk with my own soundtracks. Music is sometimes the only thing that can get me out of the slump. At those times, the fitness benefit is the icing on the cake.

Please don't generalize about the rest of us.

Meanwhile, I look forward to getting on top of my current work and family load so I can actually try out some of these workouts with their most excellent sound tracks: they are gonna rock.

Clare

I guess we can agree to disagree. I just think if the workout is good enough then the music shouldn't matter as much. If the music is great then all is well, but if some of the music isn't your particular cup of tea then it's not the end of the world. A lot of reviewers complained about the music in the Low Impact series (a brilliant series in my humble opinion) and some people have even given up on and traded in those workouts because they can't stand the music. That doesn't make any sense to me. The music that Cathe uses in her videos is not always going to appeal everyone, nor should that be expected. However, that is no reason, at least in my opinion, to get rid of an otherwise great workout dvd. Personally, I think Cathe is sometimes too giving because most instructors are not going to spend so much time on track selection or offering triple track audio selection on DVDs. Even with all of this, some people are still complaining! I just don't know what more she can do. With most other instructors you pretty much get what you get and that's that.

As I said before, I don't particularly care for the music in most of the workout dvds on the market, but for me that is not a deal break breaker. As long as I get a great workout that is all that matters and Cathe's dvds never fail to disappoint. :cool:

Also please don't take my post as a personal attack. That's honestly not what I intended. I was just a little disheartened to see some reviewers marking her dvds down because of the music and not judging the workouts based on their own respective merits.

I was intrigued, so I checked the reviews. Appears to be one person who wasn't pleased, primarily, and let's face it, you can't make everyone happy. The solution is to post your own reviews :D.

Unfortunately, I'm considered "essential" this week at work (at least today and tomorrow), so I likely will have to wait until the weekend to post my own rave reviews.

You are right swimmer , I will be posting my reviews on my favourite lifting program directly on the website.
I won't mention music at all. Music is just too trivial :D:D:D:rolleyes:. The content of the program, result gained according to input is the real deal!

I don't feel that I over exaggerated . I summed up her remarks and stated my opinion on them . You can disagree with me but my take on her review had nothing to do with exaggeration - but rather interpretation . I fully understand what the star ratings mean -
I still find the point of the comment in question petty .

The music on Cathe's DVDs has always been a really important part to me, from the very first few routines I saw her do on Fit TV. There have been studies on music and exercise intensity and pain threshold I believe, while listening to upbeat music.

I however do not need a study to tell me that, I know when I find myself humming a tune from my workout, long after the workout has ended, that Cathe indeed, has another hit. I love that you can pick music with lyrics, without, or no music. I think this new set is great.

Does Music Make You Exercise Harder?

Last edited:
The music on Cathe's DVDs has always been a really important part to me, from the very first few routines I saw her do on Fit TV. There have been studies on music and exercise intensity and pain threshold I believe, while listening to upbeat music.

I however do not need a study to tell me that, I know when I find myself humming a tune from my workout, long after the workout has ended, that Cathe indeed, has another hit. I love that you can pick music with lyrics, without, or no music. I think this new set is great.

Does Music Make You Exercise Harder?

Hello 112 Guru,

Thanks for sharing this article. I do love my upbeat music a lot and have no doubt it does improve performance. I won't dispute this fact. Example: high step challenge, When I visit this dvd I always look forward to crazy 8 on barbell cause the track is so upbeat and help bearing the burn!;);)

That being said, making a purchase decision purely based on the content of the music regardless of the potential of the program is a non-sense in my opinion. upbeat instrumental is actually the preference for me. Lyrics are distracting in my opinion. There is no time day dreaming around what is being said!! Thanks to cathe for the hard work, i can now mute those lyrics!:mad:

Last edited:
Oh I much prefer the originals to sound alikes, and I understand the reasoning behind them, I do however prefer lyrics to instrumental but that goes back to a total aversion to Muzak of the 70s, maybe I'm showing my age here but I would much rather have music with lyrics. :)

Oh I much prefer the originals to sound alikes, and I understand the reasoning behind them, I do however prefer lyrics to instrumental but that goes back to a total aversion to Muzak of the 70s, maybe I'm showing my age here but I would much rather have music with lyrics. :)

:) :)
There has been changed in copyright few years ago. Production cost are IMO affected by these changes. We all, ideally, would prefer original music from well known singers. It cost a lot. That being said the new sound currently being "on trend" is not my preference either;);).

Music in workouts really isn't a big deal to me. I'm so focused on the workout, I don't even notice the music most of the time. I completely understand though that we are all different and have our own preferences. So I think it's great that Cathe has provided choices. There's a few times that a song has helped me get through a difficult section. One that comes to mind is Xtrain Low Impact HiiT. During the step segment with running man there's a song that comes on that seems to motivate me to finish all of them.

I'm one of those that finds music very important to a workout. I also love the music Cathe puts with her workouts--so bonus for me. Some more than others but she doesn't have a single workout that has music that detracts from the workout and many in which the music adds to it.

With other trainers, sometimes it is the music (or lack of) that makes or breaks a workout for me. Example--one of the reasons I love and frequently return to TurboFire is because of the music. I LOVE it--it is energizing and makes me work harder--I get more "second winds" in those workouts due to the music than in any other workouts I own. And one I am having a hard time getting into is Zcut Power Cardio due to the complete lack of music. I can't seem to get a rhythm with those workouts. They feel awkward--even tho they are very good and intense workouts.

Then there are other workouts like Zenara25 mentioned that I don't even register the music because I am working so hard--Insanity is good example. But I am aware there is music and it apparently fits the workout because I do get in a rhythm with those workouts and they keep me coming back for more.

I'm one of those that finds music very important to a workout. I also love the music Cathe puts with her workouts--so bonus for me. Some more than others but she doesn't have a single workout that has music that detracts from the workout and many in which the music adds to it.

With other trainers, sometimes it is the music (or lack of) that makes or breaks a workout for me. Example--one of the reasons I love and frequently return to TurboFire is because of the music. I LOVE it--it is energizing and makes me work harder--I get more "second winds" in those workouts due to the music than in any other workouts I own. And one I am having a hard time getting into is Zcut Power Cardio due to the complete lack of music. I can't seem to get a rhythm with those workouts. They feel awkward--even tho they are very good and intense workouts.

Then there are other workouts like Zenara25 mentioned that I don't even register the music because I am working so hard--Insanity is good example. But I am aware there is music and it apparently fits the workout because I do get in a rhythm with those workouts and they keep me coming back for more.

I'm with you on the music. It is very important to me also. Good music can really enhance a workout and I can understand why someone could nix a workout because of music. However, I find that if I can completely tune out really bad music, then I can continue to do the workout. If I can't tune it out (and that has happened), then it has to go. I had a DVD that I had to get rid of because I just couldn't get past the music. I was lukewarm on the workout itself and the music just made it worse. With the Dreambody workouts, I know there's music, but it's so soft and I'm working out so hard, I am only slightly aware of it. I like what I can hear, though. I'm probably one of the few who like the music in Cathe's LIS. Love the music in CrossFire. That really takes the workout up another notch (like it needs it!). I don't have all of Cathe's workouts, but I don't think that I have one where I don't like the music.

I didn't even consider buying Zcut Power Cardio precisely because it doesn't have any music. I work out a 4am, so I don't want to wake anyone else up playing my own music. And quite frankly, I don't want to have to bother with making my own soundtrack for a workout. Conversely, I bought Zcut Power Strength partly because it *does* have music.

Last edited:
I don't feel that I over exaggerated . I summed up her remarks and stated my opinion on them . You can disagree with me but my take on her review had nothing to do with exaggeration - but rather interpretation . I fully understand what the star ratings mean -
I still find the point of the comment in question petty .

Actually I don't find my comment to be petty at all. I was just bringing up your comment because you said the reviewer gave Cathe's workout a poor rating. Now in all fairness she did not like some of the music she did express that but she still gave the workout a 4 star rating. I was just stating my opinion that this doesn't seem to be a bad rating to me just because she dosent like the music. I don't like some of the music either but I think that the workouts are great!

That being said, making a purchase decision purely based on the content of the music regardless of the potential of the program is a non-sense in my opinion. upbeat instrumental is actually the preference for me. Lyrics are distracting in my opinion. There is no time day dreaming around what is being said!! Thanks to cathe for the hard work, i can now mute those lyrics!:mad:

I couldn't have said it better myself. I also don't think it is fair to the instructor when reviewers rate workouts based solely on the music. The music may be a blast to some and it may not sit to highly with others, however, the instructors have no way of knowing this. I say as long as the music is in line with the spirit of the workout and it's not too off putting (i.e. having Cindy Lauper's True Colors as background music in a high intensity cardio workout) then it shouldn't be so strong of a factor in making a purchase decision.

I also read on another forum that shall remain nameless where someone wrote that Cathe should have spent more money on songs in the new videos with the actual real lyrics. To me that is insane. There is no point in Cathe bankrupting her business just to have the original songs in an exercise video. If you are going to be huffing and puffing anyway, why even care so much about the actual lyrics? :confused: Some people I tell ya...

If you are going to deprive yourself out of a good workout because you don't care about the music, that means you probably lack motivation anyway and probably aren't very dedicated to getting into shape. Background music is way to trivial to determine whether or not I'm going to skip out on or get rid of a great fitness dvd.

I usally don't take offence at others opinion but this is just a very negative statement. I get that you were originally posting with a reference to negative reviews because of music but seriously your post was self righteous

I take my health workouts very seriously. I workout hard with music. It makes the workout fun for me. I don't see because I want my workouts to be fun that I'm any less motivated to be healthy.

I've been in the health care business for over 2 decades. I work a E/R that had 55,000 folks roll through for 2012.

I like music I find in fun and helps me distress.

Why would I want to work my ass off and not enjoy myself. I'm not a professional athlete. I workout because I enjoy it and love being strong and healthy.

That was one of the more condescending post I've seen on this forum.

I personally have a few video that I hate the music which is why I like the vocals only. I run my own music through the stereo

Because I don't workout without good music - oh my shameful unmotivated lazy self (sarcasm)

I'm just grateful to have the luxury of owning Cathe DVDs. I'm grateful that I am physically able to actually do most of the work in them. I am grateful that I possess the privilege of "spare" time to do Cathe DVDs. I'm grateful that I've "met" a multitude of inspirational and motivational individuals that share my love of a healthy life and pursuit of happiness.
PEACE.;)

I'm just grateful to have the luxury of owning Cathe DVDs. I'm grateful that I am physically able to actually do most of the work in them. I am grateful that I possess the privilege of "spare" time to do Cathe DVDs. I'm grateful that I've "met" a multitude of inspirational and motivational individuals that share my love of a healthy life and pursuit of happiness.
PEACE.;)

Sigh Sigh---

I am grateful to be able to hold my barbell safely (with no injury) heavily loaded, listening to the music made for a unique genre of workout series ever made for low impact exercisers LIS.
I love Triset music a lot. Not everyone cup of tea but yes I did and still do enjoy this series:cool::):):) Peace everyone;)

Last edited:
I personally have a few video that I hate the music which is why I like the vocals only. I run my own music through the stereo

Because I don't workout without good music - oh my shameful unmotivated lazy self (sarcasm)

Not to turn this into a negative thread where fellow Catheletes are arguing amongst one another because that honestly was not my intention, but if motivating music is an absolute factor I just don't understand why people can't just do what you do and run their own music through the stereo system. I think most of Cathe's dvds have a vocals only option. To me that makes a lot more sense then getting rid of the workout entirely especially if you're benefiting from it. In my opinion it shouldn't be the instructors job to come up with a soundtrack that appeases everyone because everyone has different musical taste. As someone else mentioned, when I'm writing up reviews for workout dvds I don't even take music into consideration or better yet, I won't negatively review a dvd if I don't like the music because an instructor has no way of knowing the type of music that I like. Others may disagree though. I just tend to judge fitness dvds based on the actual content of the workout itself.

I buy a workout for the workout, not for the music. Isn't there a "music off" option w/this series, giving you the option of playing your own tunes? Since I usually don't focus on the music unless it really appeals to me, it's not a big deal if it's not my cup of tea. I tune it out--no pun intended. I can understand how it motivates others and would be important. But if you can opt to workout w/Cathe's vocals and your own music, there is a reasonable solution to not digging the DVD music.

You want bad music in a workout? Listen to the early Spinervals workout DVDs.

Not to turn this into a negative thread where fellow Catheletes are arguing amongst one another because that honestly was not my intention, but if motivating music is an absolute factor I just don't understand why people can't just do what you do and run their own music through the stereo system. I think most of Cathe's dvds have a vocals only option. To me that makes a lot more sense then getting rid of the workout entirely especially if you're benefiting from it. In my opinion it shouldn't be the instructors job to come up with a soundtrack that appeases everyone because everyone has different musical taste. As someone else mentioned, when I'm writing up reviews for workout dvds I don't even take music into consideration or better yet, I won't negatively review a dvd if I don't like the music because an instructor has no way of knowing the type of music that I like. Others may disagree though. I just tend to judge fitness dvds based on the actual content of the workout itself.

I can understand why you may think that...let me give my take. Since I started working out with DVDs, there is a certain ambiance that is created in each. For me it's a little escape into someone else's place, for instance, the Body Blast series always has a beachy feel to me, Bodymax 2, that woodsy cabin-like, yet the music has some city-like sounds in the beginning and the songs that just draw me in. It's all very motivating.

There are other instructors I like that do this really well too, you just know they put thought into what they were creating. In addition to the set, backdrop or not, and music, lyrics or not, the crew or instructor adds in another dimension. That can be a gym setting, outside, whatever.

I thought about these things when I did a short bout of strong lifts barbell work, like Starting Strength, the simplicity of just lifting, straight heavy lifting is very appealing. Sometimes that is what I want, or relaxing meditative yoga. I really started with Cathe though for the whole package, the workouts, her, the crew, which are quite awesome this time around too, and the music.

:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.