STS STS 3.5 Mo.-Is Anyone Else Doing This?

Good morning!

Been away for a few days. Needed to go to Pennsylvania for a funeral. 7 hour drive on Sunday due to traffic and heading back home today. If I get home early enough I am planning to take the dog for a nice long walk. I am sure no one has done this since I left!

Did plyo legs on Sunday before I left and managed to get in Travel Fit on Monday. I think I have 5 more workouts for meso 3 and then I am finished. Will be sad when it is over as I really enjoyed this rotation. I am going to do cathe's LIS rotation next and then the 30 day Xtrain rotation then back to STS!

I really hear the rollers are great. Been thinking about getting one for my DH as I think he could really benefit from it.

Chat with you later!

I've been meaning to post here for a few days, but life has just been so busy. Finished my two weeks of Disks 16, 17 & 18 and I start Disks 19, 20 & 21 on Monday for two weeks.

I am really loving STS, but I won't lie, I am missing the way I normally workout. I am more of a total body, cardio + strength girl. I always enjoyed Cathe's split series workouts, but I didn't do them for as long as a period as I am doing STS. That does seem to make the idea of doing STS as a 3 month program rather than as a 5 or 6 month program more reasonable. When I do STS in the future, I will do it as a 3 month program.

labnick--that's great you were able to get workouts in on vacation! I always try, though we tend to be on our feet so much on vacation I am usually too tired. I always "plan" to tho--the plans just don't always come to fruition. I can't believe your so close to being done! Even though I am loving STS, I am also kind of envious. I get bored with long rotations, so there is a part of me that is already looking ahead to what is next. And I can't seem to make up my mind what that is! I think I need some kind of fat loss rotation.

fej327--Happy late birthday! I meant to post this earlier--but I just couldn't seem to find much time to post on the forums the past week. I did come and read the posts and see what you ladies were up to.

I am still doing doubles. I got Bob Harper's Skinny Rules workouts. They are WODs based on his Crossfit obsession. I have done one so far, but my doubles all next week will be the WODs from this series (there are 12 WODs and I'll do 2 a day as my doubles workout). I am looking forward to it. I did the first WOD on Thursday and though short, it was tough! I also got Zuzka's ZCut Cardio workouts. Another series of short HIIT workouts (12 in all + an ab workout). I'll be doing those as my doubles once I get through all of Bob's WODs.

Double Wave Sets/Equipment malfunction

Today was my first day with the double wave sets and wow! Not only was that a loooong workout, but it kept me busy in my recovery time, changing weights. I really liked this workout and I really felt it. It made my chest sore before the workout was even done! Those chest press double waves really burned me out right from the start. For the rest of the workout, every time we were lying on the bench for any reason and I had to sit up, I felt it all through my chest muscles!

And I had an equipment malfunction during this workout! I am so upset! I have SelectTechs, which is how I go heavy with my dumbbells. I always get everything ready the night before. So I always have the right plates on my barbells for the the first exercises and my Select Techs dialed up for the first exercise they're needed for. So the first time I used the Select Techs was for the flatbench chest fly. I had them dialed up to 35 pounds. The next time I planned to use them was for incline chest flies and for that I needed 27.5 pounds. Well, when I went to dial them up for that, one end was locked on 35 pounds! So I spent every spare minute of my recovery time until that exercise came up struggling with it and trying to get it dialed to the correct pounds. I never did get it to work. I did get it to go higher tho so now it is locked at 50 pounds and won't go down or up. :eek: My husband said he will try to fix it tonight, but I am so upset! Of my other dumbbells (not Select Tech, just free weights) the highest I have is 20 pounds. So I put on my weighted gloves and did the incline chest flies at only 22 pounds. It was way too easy. Luckily all the other chest exercises really burned my chest muscles out, but still! I am so upset! I hope he can fix it!

How is everyone else doing?

Good morning ladies!

This week I am actually on vacation. Last week I was out visiting family for a funeral. I was really trying to be done with STS before I left yesterday. But due to going away last week my plans needed to change. I did manage to get all done but the very last one. So when I am home on saturday I will bump out the last.

I will be kind of sad when done as I really enjoyed STS. Each meso cycle kept me interested. After completed all three I can't really say which one I favored most. I am glad I decided on the 3.5 rotation. I am like you Jen and I start longing to do my other favorite workouts.

I love double workouts and try and do doubles frequently. Before I left for the funeral last week I was doing insanity as my morning workout then STS or another workout in the evening.

I did jump on the bandwagon and ordered the T25 workouts. I love the idea of an intense 25 min workout. They are expected to arrive on Tuesday. Monday though I am planning to start the 30day LIS rotation. I have heard great things about leaning the legs out with this one!

Jen...hope you got your SelectTechs fixed. I would be so not happy if this happened during my workout! I know those are not cheap too so hoping your husband was able to fix them.

Hi to fej!

labnick--so Saturday is it for you! Wow! So what kind of results did you get? More muscle definition? Stronger? Did you use 1RM? I am definitely stronger already and see much more muscle size and definition in my upper body.

Yes! My husband was able to fix my Select Techs.:D I am so relieved. They were working fine this morning for my Legs workout.

I really want the T25 workouts, I just can't afford them right now. At some point I'll get them. However, Bob Harper's new workouts are killing me! I did two of his WODs yesterday for doubles and my legs and glutes are so sore today. And today was Legs Disk 20--I actually had some problems getting through it thanks to Bob's WODs. :confused: Each WOD is short but incredibly tough--at least the Cardio and Strength WODs that I've done so far. The Core WODs are effective, but not nearly as difficult as the Cardio and Strength WODs.

How is everyone else doing? How many of us are left?

Jen....i received great results! My bis and tris are a lot more defined then prior to STS. Also prior to STS i swear my left arm was not as defined. I am sure it was not noticable. Only to me and it bugged me. Glad to say the are evened out. As far as strength I am lifting so much more then I ever dreamed. Inclined flies with 23lbs is crazy for me. Chest press with 50lb's. a year ago when I decided to do P90X the heaviest weight I used was 10lbs. Look at me now!!

I decided not to do the 1rm. I record all my weights used and make adjustments when needed. I always make sure I challenge myself. This worked fine for me as I am very happy with the results. I plan to do STS again in the Fall.

T25 was very expensive. If I do not absolutely love them then I am going to send them back. Need to LOVE them for the $ I spent.

I have never done any Bob Harper workouts. I will check them out.

I think it is just you, me and fej left.

I will still check in with you two to see how all is going!!!!

Oh work and family got crazy but I'm back! I missed posting I really like hearing how everyone is doing. Thank you for the birthday wishes Jen :)

I agree with you Jen sts seems to be dragging a bit - I start Meso 3 Sunday. The last leg disc in 2 had wall squats but the pattern was different so not as bad. I'm back to doubles also. I downloaded some new cardio with the download sale so I've been mixing breathless with some new cathe - but now you have me you tubing bob and zuska - I love anything hiit. Those double waves really socked me with some doms too - one day I swear every time I lifted my arms over my head it was like oh my!! And I'm glad your husband fixed your select techs - it would have frazzled me so much I don't know if I would Have finished my workout

Labnick hope your enjoying your vacation!! Let me know how you like the t25 workouts - that time sounds perfect for early morning workouters like us. awesome work on evening out your arms!! I have one thigh that lags and I hope it's even at the end of sts. And wow flys with 23 and chest with 50?? Way to go!!

I must be getting the hang of step because I seem to be on the correct foot more and more :) . I'm trying to keep my high impact down to only 2-3 of my cardios a week. I don't have any pain or joint issues but I don't want any so I'm mixing it up a bit more. I love up the feedback you guys give me on other cardio - I'm not sure I'd venture out without your reviews.

Labnick I think the roller is a good investment - my son hits the gym and lifts pretty heavy and when I got home from work I found him watching tv using the roller. He said it really helps his soreness too.

Ok, Sunday Meso 3!! I can't believe I used to dread working out and now that I found cathe I've completed 4 rotations and found a cardio I like (hiit).

Have a great holiday ladies!!

fej3217--Yuck! Wall squats! I did see that was going to re-appear. :( But I am glad to hear it is different than it was in Meso 1--did not like them in Meso 1! I did all 12 of Bob's WODs and I loved them with the exception of Strength WOD 4. I hated that one. But that leaves 11 other WODs to love so it still turned out great! I really like the length and the intensity. I can add on a super intense but short cardio to my strength workouts. I'm doing the Zcut cardios HIITs for my doubles this week, so I'll post what I think of those. They are also short, but she has a warm up and a cool down stretch, so if I use those it will put the workouts at or close to 30 minutes each.

And you do get the hang of Cathe's step eventually. I know I hated her step workouts and avoided them, but then when I did Body Max 2, I realized I was starting to get the hang of it and started buying more. Now I can do most of her step workouts w/out much problem. Some of them are still too complicated for me and therefore, still no fun (Step Blast--still hate that one, plus the two step workouts in 4DS--way to complicated).

Let me know what you think of Meso 3! I'm still not there yet. I'm about to start my second week of disks 19, 20 & 21--so I've passed the halfway point for Meso 2!

labnick--that's how I feel! I remember when I first bought my Select Techs and did ChaLean Extreme and P90X--I was impressed with myself that on some of the exercises (lower body and back) I went over 20! Now look at me! Cathe has taken me to a whole new level!

Well I finished today! Very proud and sad at the same time as I really enjoyed STS and will look forward to starting again in the Fall. I am now going to start Cathe's LIS rotation. I have heard great things about this rotation. I ordered Focus T25 and it will arrive on Tuesday. I am sure I will need to try out a few of these workouts. So my low intensity rotation may not be completely low intensity!

Yes it is awesome the amount of weight I have been using. In 2009 I had intestinal surgery and could not work out for 12 weeks. Then in late 2009 I fell down my office stairs and hurt my knee and ankle. Then in spring of 2010 I had tears in my right bicep!! This took surgery and 2 summers of PT to finally heal. After pretty much doing nothing for 3 years my son and I decided on a whim to do P90X. I loved it and found this new love of weights. When I first started I could not even do 1 sit up and used only 8 to 10 lb dumbbells! Can you believe that! Now after Xtrain and STS my body has really changed. I have muscular legs and they tend to look chubby if I do not work them. I received a great compliment from a coworker that she did not think it was possible to change your body and now believes you can after looking at me! Very nice to hear as I have worked so hard the past year.

I use to do Step back in the day. Never liked the dancy ones. Most of Cathe's I do like and I own most. I do not do them very often any more with the exception of the Imax ones. Love all three of these!

While visiting family last week I borrowed my cousins turbo fire program and did Charlene's 25 min HIIT workout this morning. This was my first experience with her and I really liked it. I can not see my self doing this program in it's entirety but will enjoy some of the cardio workouts while I have them. My cousin works on a cruise ship and not due back home till November and she said they will just sit there so take what you want...so I did. :). I also borrowed Charlean's Extreme. After reviewing I can't see my self doing this after STS. It is a great program but just not for me at this time.

Enjoy the rest of STS!! Very glad I got to know you both a little. It was fun giving updates and following each other. I will still check in to see how you ladies are doing! I wish you both amazing results!

Lori

Only one more trio of workouts left in Mesocycle 2! I'm getting close to the end! I'll do those workouts for 2 weeks, take a recovery week, then I will only be in Mesocycle 3 for a month--so 7 more weeks left until I'm done with STS.

Congrats labnick on finishing! Pretty exciting! I have heard great things about the LIS rotation as well. I've done all of the workouts but have never done the rotation. I am tempted. I'm still not 100% certain what I will be doing when I finally finish STS.

I loved TurboFire and still use some of the workouts. I loved ChaLean Extreme when I did it but it was a long time ago. I haven't come back to the strength exercises in years, though I still do the cardio and stretch workouts sometimes.

Have you done any Focus T25 yet? I did all of Bob Harper's Skinny Rules WODs and I loved them all execpt Strength WOD 4--I hated that one.

fej327--how is Meso 3 going?

Well I started the LIS rotation and I am just not enjoying it. Kind of bored with it. Has no fun factor for me. Even though STS was hard work I looked forward to it. I did receive the t25 workouts and have thrown in a couple of these and really like the two I have done and are perfect for a morning workout which is what I hoped. I do not plan on doing an official T25 rotation any time soon. Perhaps in the winter.

I came across one of Cathe's rotations that uses STS and her Gym style workouts. This looks like something I would enjoy. So I am going to start this on Monday. I most likely will sub the step workouts with another cardio. On weight days I will do a T25 workout in the morning. Jen I do not remember the date of the rotation and the picture I took of it to save cut the date off so I am attaching it for you to review.

I have done a few of Turbo Fire now and previewed the rest of the workouts and they look like the are exhausting but fun! I will absolutely be throwing these in my rotation!

Hi fej! Hope all is well!!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 16
Hi ladies!! First week of Meso 3 down :). Lori you were so right - those breaks are long! I shortened them to fit them in before work. Really feeling strong - I love this program.

So Jen I'm always looking for good 30-40 min cardio. I might check out bob. And yeah I tried the step in 4 day split - you know it's bad when I just start doing basic and watching and laughing. I don't see me ever pulling those out again. I'll stick to imax, low max etc. Dancy ones not for me ;-) Meso 3 is good - this week it was 4 sets for each body part - really shaking by the end. And plyo legs -- love love love it!! Your starting 3 this week right?? Home stretch till we finish.

Lori you finished!! Woo hoo you should be so proud! An amazing accomplishment. Wow to hear your story and how far you've come - woman you are an inspiration. To come back from all that is truly an accomplishment. You earned those guns and toned legs way to go!! I'm not sure what I'm doing after sts - I wondered about the lis rotation. Thanks so much for posting that rotation - looks very interesting :). But your right - cardio will be a hiit not step probably.

I love the information/ review you two give me on other work outs - I like variety and I was always afraid to try anyone other than cathe in case it sucked.

Ok , I have to have another procedure next weekend - I'm trying super hard not to have to have a hysterectomy - so this week I can still hit Meso 3 but next week I'll have to see how much work they did. Lori thank you for sharing you story - I was down thinking if I have to have a big surgery and take weeks off how do I start back? And boom there's your story - one day at a time until I'm all the way back. You ladies are awesome - so glad to hear your updates and info.

Enjoy Sunday and Jen let us know how you like Meso 3 and Lori I hope this rotation in better!!

fej327--no, I'm still in Meso 2 since I'm doing the 5.5 month rotation. In fact, I will be starting Meso 3 as you are finishing it--so I'll be doing Meso 3 alone I guess! I started the last trio of Meso 2 workouts this morning. So after two weeks I'll have a recovery week, then Meso 3. I'll only be in Meso 3 a month tho.

This morning was Disk 22 Chest, Shoulders & Triceps--dropsets. Wow. I did something to my shoulders during the first set of dropsets. I'm a little confused by the workout cards as well. I used a calculator to compare my percentages for the drop sets to what the workout cards gave me and they have me going too heavy again. No wonder I hurt myself! She says during the workout to drop 20% each time, but that is not what my workout cards have me doing. They drop me about 10% each time. So I did 22.5 pounds for my first set of overhead presses (which was so hard--the heaviest overhead presses I have done to date), then 10 seconds later I grab the 20 pound dumbbells as the workout cards told me to and I felt something all through my cervical spine and shoulders. I couldn't complete that seconds set. However, I was able to complete the 3rd set. But the rest of my shoulder work I felt all through my cervical spine and shoulders. And it was NOT the good workout pain. Now I am having problems turning my head to the right. :( I took an excedrin. Hoping that helps. Anyway, I took out the calculator and figured up the weights I should have been using based on what Cathe said during the workout and I should have dropped to my 17.5 pound weights for that second set set!

However, with that complaint out of the way, so far I am liking Meso 2 the best. I love how every week we challenge the muscles in some completely new way. I am really hoping my neck/shoulders heal so I can do it right next week.

I also really like the shorter length of these workouts. I was able to do some cardio afterward. I did Insanity's Fast and Furious (22 minutes). I love getting an intense cardio burst in after my strength work. This week I'm doing the short Insanity workout and TurboFire HIITs after my strength work. Next week I'll do some of Bob's WODs after the strength work.

Hope your procedure goes well fej327. Will you be continuing on with STS anyway, or recovering for a week or so?

labnick--well, that sucks that the LIS rotation isn't fun. It kind of surprises me because I love the workouts themselves. I still can't decide what I am doing after I finish STS. However, the first thing I am doing is a week of Ilaria Montagnani's new Athletica workouts. I have the first one and love it. She came out with 3 more, so I figure I will do a week of Althletica to give them all a try. After that I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I know I still have time to decide, but I wish I could figure it out!

Jen only have a quick minutes hope your cervical spine and shoulders are better! So frustrating when your exercising to be healthy and get an injury :-(.

I think I'll have to start Meso 3 over - on the third week i'll have surgery and I can't lift for a few days. Hey I'm finally taking a recovery week lol ;-). So my plan is to start 3 over so we will be doing Meso 3 together.

Yep, Meso 2 is my favorite - length and intensity are perfect IMHO.

I'm still unsure what I'm doing next. Playing it by ear till after my procedure.

Lori - how's the new rotation?

I can't believe this is happening to me. Today is cardio day. I was 20 minutes into Peak 10 Cardio Interval Burn and my back goes out! My lower spine! What is going on with me! It was excruciating--I couldn't bend--I could barely walk! I had to take 2 tramadol and I am mobile again, but still in a lot of pain. I'm going to try to go to work.

Here's the kicker--the thing I am most worried about is STS! I've come so far! I can't quit! Tomorrow is Legs and Thursday is Back and Biceps and I am supposed to deadlift 85 pounds. :confused:

My cervical spine and shoulders are better but not 100%--hoping my back heals up quickly too. My husband is harassing me though to take a break. I don't know what to do. :(

Hi Jen,
Listen to your body. I know it's hard but you should probably take a break til your back heals. STS will still be there when you are ready. Here's a link to a blog article that talks about taking a break (during vacation but also applies to recovering from being injured as well). Rest and hope you feel better soon.

Cathe Friedrich - Exercise on Vacation? Here’s Why You Should

Here's the part that I like.

"If You Take a Break, Will You Become Less Fit?

Here’s the good news. Even if you take a full week off from exercise, you won’t experience a decline in your fitness level. Detraining doesn’t happen that quickly. It usually takes 2 weeks away from endurance exercise to experience a decline in aerobic capacity and you won’t begin losing your strength gains for three to four weeks. So you’re not going to lose the gains you worked so hard to achieve by taking a few days or even a week off."

Here's another article:
http://cathe.com/why-recovery-days-are-important-for-getting-fitter

"Sometimes You Need an Unplanned Recovery Day

If you’re ill or feeling more sore than usual, you might need an unplanned recovery day. Some people try to work out even when they’re ill or injured. Always think of the long-term picture. Pushing yourself when your body is in a weakened state can prolong an illness or injury. Missing a day or two is a lot smarter than turning a minor illness or injury into a more prolonged one."

Last edited:
Oh Jen!!! I am so sorry to be reading this. I agree with Zenara and you should take a break. We are talking your spine here. This is exactly what happened to me a couple of years ago with my right bicep. After a workout it was kind of achy and I didn't think much of it. Well I kept working because like you I had come so far and did not want to stop. Well I ending up with tears in my bicep that took surgery and two years to completely heal and get to the point where I was 100% again. Please do not make that mistake! Rest your spine. You will be glad you did.

Thanks ladies. I am going to take a break--I have to, I couldn't complete my workout this morning. It took me like 15 minutes just to leave the workout room. :( I could barely walk. It still hurts, but I am mobile and it is feeling better right now--but I'm not sure if that is due to the tramadol or if it really is better.

So now I need to figure out how to address this! Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Let me give some real quick background. More than 10 years ago I used to suffer from excruciating chronic low back pain--debilitating, much worse than today, even tho todays was/is pretty horrid. Then I started working out and lifting weights and my back pain went away, never to return. Then I do STS and start lifting heavier than I ever have in my life and it has returned for the first time in more than a decade. :( I don't know what to think.

However, I do want to finish STS because I really like it and I really like my results so far. In addition, it is a deeply ingrained habit (again--well over a decade) for me to get up at 4:30am and workout for an hour. I do not want to stop doing that.

So how should I address this? I guess I will take this week off of STS and intense cardio. But what should I do instead? Even low impact workouts like Afterburn have bending which I cannot do right now. I was thinking I would do some yoga in the mornings, but if my back starts feeling better by Friday/Saturday--any suggestions on a low impact workout that wouldn't aggravate my back? I do have Cathe's cycle workout from Xtrain--Ride. Would that be ok on my back? And if everything feels normal by the end of the week, could I pick up where I left off on Monday?

Thanks for any suggestions! As you can see, I haven't injured myself since I have been a committed exerciser. At least not like this. A drunk driver hit me head on in 2009 and shattered my heels--but that is completely different. I was in the hospital for a month and didn't walk for 4 months. Long recovery. But as I said, that was obviously a completely different kind of injury and recovery period. I don't know what to do about an injured back. When I had back problems before, I didn't work out at all, so how to modify wasn't something I worried about!

Last edited:
Time off

Thanks ladies. I am going to take a break--I have to, I couldn't complete my workout this morning. It took me like 15 minutes just to leave the workout room. :( I could barely walk. It still hurts, but I am mobile and it is feeling better right now--but I'm not sure if that is due to the tramadol or if it really is better.

So now I need to figure out how to address this! Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Let me give some real quick background. More than 10 years ago I used to suffer from excruciating chronic low back pain--debilitating, much worse than today, even tho todays was/is pretty horrid. Then I started working out and lifting weights and my back pain went away, never to return. Then I do STS and start lifting heavier than I ever have in my life and it has returned for the first time in more than a decade. :( I don't know what to think.

However, I do want to finish STS because I really like it and I really like my results so far. In addition, it is a deeply ingrained habit (again--well over a decade) for me to get up at 4:30am and workout for an hour. I do not want to stop doing that.

So how should I address this? I guess I will take this week off of STS and intense cardio. But what should I do instead? Even low impact workouts like Afterburn have bending which I cannot do right now. I was thinking I would do some yoga in the mornings, but if my back starts feeling better by Friday/Saturday--any suggestions on a low impact workout that wouldn't aggravate my back? I do have Cathe's cycle workout from Xtrain--Ride. Would that be ok on my back? And if everything feels normal by the end of the week, could I pick up where I left off on Monday?

Thanks for any suggestions! As you can see, I haven't injured myself since I have been a committed exerciser. At least not like this. A drunk driver hit me head on in 2009 and shattered my heels--but that is completely different. I was in the hospital for a month and didn't walk for 4 months. Long recovery. But as I said, that was obviously a completely different kind of injury and recovery period. I don't know what to do about an injured back. When I had back problems before, I didn't work out at all, so how to modify wasn't something I worried about!

Hi Ladies,

Sorry for highjacking your thread:eek:

Here my advise Jen, take two days off with no workout at all. Go out, meet friends or date your husband to clear your head. Take time off to keep you mind off the pain. it's probably not serious.

After two days do stretching, massage and yoga. I am sure you'll be up and running in a week.

Sorry to hear you are in pain. Let's be positive ;)

All the very best,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.