STS STS 3.5 Mo.-Is Anyone Else Doing This?

Ladies - surgery was today and all is well. No more lupron so I'm hoping my water retention and belly that looks preggers will be gone. I'm going to have to repeat m2w2 but that's okay. Consistency is more important. I just need to focus on how I feel.

Toni - is that a new picture? You look very pretty in it. ( if its not new I'm blaming anesthesia vision lol). Way to go on the doubles . You must be so geeked your energy is up!

Labnick - glad your getting stronger too. Always wondered about the blender. Do you just play the mix in your computer or can you run a cable to your tv from your laptop?? I have a treadmill and I might try a walking DVD added in to try and help shed my bloat.

Rlw - how are you doing? Hope the med situation is finally fixed

Jen - WAY. TO GO ON LOSING THAT WEIGHT!! Woo Hoo . Did you focus mainly on cardio like HIIT or diet? I'm still determined to be back down for my birthday. What about plyo for you thighs? Do you think that might return them to where they were? Just a thought. Or maybe turbo barre?? And wow, so sorry to hear about that accident you had. The fact you have come so far from not being able to walk is inspiring.

Stay strong ladies. 17 days till the official first day of summer!!

Last edited:
fej327--glad the surgery went well! Hope everything gets better now.

I'm not sure exactly what made the weight go away except tightening up my diet. I had suspected that the weight would come off during the recovery week which, IMHO, really does make the gain point somehow toward the strength training, but I don't understand why. I have strength trained for many many years. Why is it causing issues now? The only thing different is 1RM and how heavy I am now lifting. During the recovery week I did Bob Harper's Cardio Condition, TTM, CF, AB, Low Max and Low Impact Circuit. So cardio, HIIT and MWT. I also made a conscious decision to eat better when we went out to eat. I cannot seem to get away from eating out on the weekends, but I usually make poor food choices. I made very good ones last weekend and also, last week, I kept my diet clean and tight. I just need to keep up the good work. I have TWO meals out this weekend and I really need to do good at both of them so I don't undo it all.

I'm really not sure what to do to thin out my thighs--back to what they were just 2 months ago!?!?! For now, I am just sticking with STS. I am still using 1RM for all upper body work, but not for Legs. And I am doing a lot of HIIT/plyo for my cardio. I also decided to forgot the squat rack workouts in Meso 3. I hope to one day do them, but not this round.

Now I am in Mesocycle 2 and lifting heavy again. I don't weigh myself on strength days so I won't really know anything until tomorrow morning. But I am through a week of Meso 2 workouts. Very different from Meso 1. It's so odd to have the long rests between sets but it does help me power through better than I would w/out the rest. And I do like the Legs workout better. I did feel a lot of guilt during it though. I finished Meso 1 using 45 pound dumbbells for squats and deadlifts. I used 25 pound dumbbells for squats and deadlifts yesterday. And at one point Cathe even states that if we are not increasing our weights we are cheating ourselves. And I decreased mine! It made me feel like I was wimping out. But I still felt like I got a really good workout.

I am so sore btw! It's not just Meso 2, btw--though that is a big part of it. I decided that it was time to really shock my system. STS is doing that with the strength training, but I have been doing almost exclusively Cathe cardio for more than a year now. So for Meso 2 almost all of my cardio is non-Cathe--but still intense. Tuesday I did Amy Dixon's Breathless Body which I haven't done in more than a year. It is a tabata workout. It was harder than I remembered (and here I thought Cathe workouts like Imax and Tabatacise were making everything easier!) and hit muscles I apparently have neglected. My entire back and hips were seriously sore!!! And this was before I did Legs and Back & Biceps! So I know it was Amy Dixon who caused the pain! I actually flinched and groaned every time I moved yesterday! I was a little scared to do Back and & Biceps this morning because my back was already sore! But it had lessened this morning, so I hit it anyway!

How is everyone else doing?

Hi all!

Last night was disc 23 legs. I have one more workout and I will be done with meso 2. I completely loved everything about meso 2. Jen, at first it feld odd to me weighting the minute between sets. I quickly learned to appreciate them. Next week is recovery but I am going to shorten it so I finish STS before I leave on vacation in July. I have heard meso 3 has a longer wait period inbetween sets. Not sure how I will like this. I found 60 seconds to be perfect.

I am looking forward to plyo legs. I downloaded one of these several months ago an have done it a couple of times. I love anything plyo or HiiT. I have Breathless Body too and that is one tough workout. Been a while for me since I have done that. May have been right before I started Xtrain.

I tend to have thick thighs too and you seemed to be doing everything I do except I use lighter weights and mine have really leaned out. I am no expert but perhaps you are right to go a little lighter with the leg weights. The heaviest dumbell I have is 35lbs. I ended meso 2 with... Squats I am using 25's, deadlifts 30's or 35's, plyo one 35. I also have a 10lb weight vest and 3lb gloves....so my squats are total 66lbs, deadlifts 76 or 86 and so on. Now for the other exercises I am a lot lighter for example....all with vest and weighted gloves....slide or back lunges with paper plate I use 15lb weights and this is more than enough for me.

You are such an inspiration. To come back like you have after that terrible accident is amazing.

Take care all!

Happy Friday!! Quicke check in

Getting back in the groove - plan on ab or tabacize tomm - see how's feel!

Way to go Jen on sticking with better eating - always such a challenge to be faithful with that - especially when out to eat at a yummy restaurant!! I am learning to like the long rests - I do have more stamina to finish the sets. Do not feel guilty about adjusting your weight wok for legs - remember cathe also says listen to your body and that's what your doing!! Hearing about your DOMS with Amy Dixon I am taking the plunge and getting it!!i can do all of tabacize so I'm curious how'll ill do :)

Labnick congrats on finishing Meso 2!! That's a huge accomplishment. Enjoy your recovery week even if it is short - you are going to look amazing on your vacation.

Rlw how are you feeling??

Toni still pounding out those doubles??

This morning double wave pyramid - already sore!! Back to hitting it hard with sts !! Did crossfire and tabatacise this weekend :)

Jen how'd the restaurant eating go?? And how's the non cathe cardio treating you? Waiting on my Amy Dixon - is your DOMS any better?

Labnick how'd plyo legs treat you? Did you start Meso 3?

Rlw - still sending positive vibes

Toni - hope your still kicking butt!

Happy Monday everyone !

Good afternoon Ladies!

I finished up meso 2 last week. I am now on to meso 3 (starting tonight). Decided I need to just dive right in and not have a recovery week at all since I want to be finished before I leave on vacation 7/2. I will need to be aggressive but I think I can do it. Going to try to do a STS pretty much every other day instead of 3 times a week. I am pretty good about resting when I need to and will know if this is too much. So we will see how this goes.

Fej...congrats with your workouts. Looks like you also dived right into things. Good for you. Tabatacise and Double wave are my two favorites right now! If you like these two you will like Amy Dixon's Breathless. It is a little repetitive but a great workout!

How is everyone doing?

I did really good this weekend! We had dinner at a really fattening place(Shorty Smalls) and I had the chicken spinach salad. Then we had breakfast with my folks at another fatty place (Jimmy's Egg) and I had an egg white veggie omlete (told them to cook it dry--no oil or butter--and they complied) and fruit. I was pleased with myself! So far tho the scale hasn't budged. But I am maintaing the loss of the gain. :confused: I'll just keep it up and that 5 pounds I want to lose will come off!

I am enjoying my non-Cathe cardio. I have been so obsessed with Cathe workouts since I discovered her that I forgot not only how much I enjoy other trainers, but also that there are other advanced workouts out there. My current workout rotation plan for Meso #2 goes like this--the 3 STS workouts each week + Extended Stretch once. The other 3 days--one HIIT-type workout, one kickboxing workout and one MWT workout. This morning was my HIIT-type and I did Michelle Dozois new Peak 10 workout: Cardio Interval Burn Remix. I did Cardio Strength Remix on Saturday as my MWT workout. She is as tough as I remembered!!! The "Remixes" are new workouts but I have all her other Peak 10 workouts and her PeakFit system. I plan to use those during Meso #2.

Yes, the DOMS went away--but I had it all last week. Every workout I did--both STS and non-STS was causing soreness! So far this week no DOMS--yet!

Labnick--have you don Plyo Legs yet? Dying to hear how it compares to Xtrains Cardio Leg Blast which is one of favorite workouts.

fej327--sounds like you did jump right back into it with the toughies! Soreness getting any better?

Friday is here!! DOMS has faded and I am loving Meso 2!! Got 2 lb wrists weights so I went up with bi and tri's - I remember thinking 12 for curls were a lot and now I'm up to 22!! Woo Hoo !

Labnick how is Meso 3? And how much longer are the breaks? I don't think I'd want more than 60 either. How is plyo legs? I'm a HIIT junkie too so looking forward to it. Are you doing ok without the recovery week? I was wondering if it might increase your DOMS. You are so close to finishing sts -- that is awesome :)

Jen- how is the clean eating going? I commend you on staying strong at those restaurants - that's tough. How's your non cathe cardio?? Your rotation sounds perfect - I'm betting those 5 pounds won't be with you for long !!

I have doubled every day this week - I was feeling strong and I had some early days so I just went with it. I figured my birthday is next week - I plan on hitting 44 with more muscle and cardio fitness than I had at 24! Tomm I want to do Amy Dixon - excited!! Plus I ordered a rumble roller -- I'm terrible with stretching but I'm going to make myself starting tonight with cathe yoga or sts stretch. I'm trying to remember everything doesn't have to be a sweat fest to be good for me. How often do you guys do an extended stretch? I always do a couple of minutes but that's it and I'm thinking its not enough.

How are you guys doing?? Have a great weekend!

Hi ladies!

Meso 3 is going well. I really did not do a recovery week. Took a couple days off from weights but that is it. I like meso 3 but it does move a lot slower. For example, today was disc 27 sh,bi,ti. You are using heavier weights and only doing 8 reps. So you do one exercise of 8 reps, wait 60 secs then next exercise of 8 reps, wait 60 secs and so on. I get that you need that rest but like I said it moves slow. I LOVE plyo legs though! Jen...it is very similar to cardio leg blast...HOWEVER, it is true to STS style and has the breaks in between. Only 30 secs. So it does move quicker than the upper body workouts. I think you will like it.

For cardio during meso 3 I decided I am going to do strictly Insanity because I want to lean my legs a little more and hoping this does the trick. So far I have done 5 of these workouts and wow they kick but. I am following the Insanity 60 day workout and doing these as my morning workout then doing the STS upper body at night. When plyo legs comes up I will do this in the morning in place of Insanity then just follow with the next scheduled Insanity workout the next day. So far so good!

Fej...how do you like the rumble roller? I have seen them and not quite sure what it does! Oh and how did you make out with Amy Dixon? Tough isn't it? Happy Early Birthday to you!!!

Jen..I have not done any Michele Dozois workouts. They look like they are pretty good workouts. Like you I have been doing 100% cathe and sometimes you do need to mix it up a bit. I am going to buy Shaun T's new workouts when they come out in a couple of weeks. Focus T25. 25 minutes of intense moves then you are done! Sounds perfect for a morning workout!!

Have a great Saturday evening!!!!

Hi ladies!

Meso 3 is going well. I really did not do a recovery week. Took a couple days off from weights but that is it. I like meso 3 but it does move a lot slower. For example, today was disc 27 sh,bi,ti. You are using heavier weights and only doing 8 reps. So you do one exercise of 8 reps, wait 60 secs then next exercise of 8 reps, wait 60 secs and so on. I get that you need that rest but like I said it moves slow. I LOVE plyo legs though! Jen...it is very similar to cardio leg blast...HOWEVER, it is true to STS style and has the breaks in between. Only 30 secs. So it does move quicker than the upper body workouts. I think you will like it.

For cardio during meso 3 I decided I am going to do strictly Insanity because I want to lean my legs a little more and hoping this does the trick. So far I have done 5 of these workouts and wow they kick but. I am following the Insanity 60 day workout and doing these as my morning workout then doing the STS upper body at night. When plyo legs comes up I will do this in the morning in place of Insanity then just follow with the next scheduled Insanity workout the next day. So far so good!

Fej...how do you like the rumble roller? I have seen them and not quite sure what it does! Oh and how did you make out with Amy Dixon? Tough isn't it? Happy Early Birthday to you!!!

Jen..I have not done any Michele Dozois workouts. They look like they are pretty good workouts. Like you I have been doing 100% cathe and sometimes you do need to mix it up a bit. I am going to buy Shaun T's new workouts when they come out in a couple of weeks. Focus T25. 25 minutes of intense moves then you are done! Sounds perfect for a morning workout!!

Have a great Saturday evening!!!!

Hi everyone!

Labnick - excellent job on going right to Meso 3! I'm thinking I'll have to get some heavier weights - my heaviest are 25 and I can use my vest for legs but not for back or chest. I'm totally intrigued by plyo legs now! Have you used insanity to lean your legs before? I didn't know Shaun t had new workouts coming I'm totally going to google after posting!!! Since I do early morning workouts I agree 25 sounds perfect. And thank you for the birthday wishes! So happy I took charge of my fitness and am weighing in this birthday 20 pounds lighter and lifting twice what I started with :)

My rumble roller hasn't come yet but Amy Dixon oh my!! I think my sweat was sweating!!

Jen how is your rotation going??enjoying the non cathe cardio? When do you start Meso 2??

Hope everyone had a good weekend!!

Rlw and Toni I hope your doing well and sending good vibes to you !

Hello all!

Today was walk the dog three miles then disc 28 chest and back. Like I said in my earlier post I like meso 3 but it does move slowly. Today was 5% heavier from last week and only reps of 7 each then 50 to 70 sec rest after each. This disc is 68 minutes long! No way do I have time to do that in the mornings! I did fast forward at times and cut the rest times a bit on some of them.

Fej..my heaviest dumbbell is now 40lbs and I have not used it yet. Just got one yesterday. I felt the last time I did plyo leg squat with alternating dumbbell in middle (sorry for the life of me I can't remember the exact name) i felt I could go up. I only bought one for now. Other than that I mainly use 20 to 35lbs and right now this is enough for me. I also use 1lb hand gloves throughout and then at times when I want to increase a bit 2 lb wrist weights.

I tried insanity last year and did not like it. So I put it on the shelf for another day. This year I have a new appreciation for HiiT workouts and I am loving Insanity!

How are you doing Jen with Meso 2. I think Meso 2 will end up my favorite out of the 3.

Rlw and Toni wishing you are well!

Disc 29 plyo legs this morning! I am really liking plyo. I feel so strong when I finish. I used my weighted vest during the weight portions but took it off for the plyo moves. I completely forgot to use the vest last week. Made a huge difference using it. I also liked this plyo legs more than last weeks. Love that each workout is a little different.

So far so good with the Insanity workouts too. Still really enjoying them.

Hope all is doing well!

Finished with up my sts portions this week! Legs Sunday , chest shoulders tri Monday and back and bi Tuesday. My work schedule will be unpredictable so I needed to knock it out back to back. Wow I have some doms! But my rumble roller came yeah :). I tried it a little last night - it was awkward but I think I'm going to like it. Really helped with my muscle aches.

Labnick 68 is long. No way I can fit that in for a morning work out. Glad to know you shortened some of the breaks. That will be my plan too. I have 1 and 2 lb wrist weights also, love those for pushing myself o keep increasing when I know a full 5 pounds is too much. I think I might try insanity after sts. I always hated cardio but the results from hiit have made me love it. I'm itching to try plyo legs - how much weight do you have un your vest??

Jen how is Meso 2 treating you??

Off to do intensity step plus low impact hiit have a great day everyone

Hello! This week and next week are Disks 16, 17 and 18. I really like the back off sets except for one thing--what I was enjoying about Meso 2 so far was the time to do equipment changes, specifically with the barbell. These back off sets kind of mess with that! I just cannot change my barbell plates as fast as Cathe and crew.

I have some pretty bad DOMS, too--but the worst of it is from Amy Dixon again! I did her Breathless Body 2: The Edge yesterday and this morning my glutes were so sore! And it was Disk 17 Legs day! Ouch! I've been adding things to my Legs workout. Since I am not using 1RM for Legs anymore, the minute between trisets seems too long, so I do jumping jacks and squat jumps. I do about 20 seconds worth, so I still have 40 seconds of recovery. I feel like I get a much better workout!

I've started doing doubles again. I feel like I need them. So far, the first two days I've done them I've slept better than I have in a long time. So more benefits!

fej327--how do you modify the longer workouts so that they fit in your time frame? I love Insanity, btw and am planning to add in some Insanity workouts soon for cardio. Amy Dixon is killing me tho. I had forgotten how hard her two Breathless Body workouts were. And I can't believe how sore I am after doing them!

labnick--you are doing a PLYO squat with a 40 pound dumbbell!! Wow! Kudos to you--sounds like a nightmare. I do the plie squats with a 45 pound dumbbell but I cannot imagine jumping with that much weight! I am impressed! Is that for one of the Plyo Leg workouts in Meso 3?

I bought a bunch on new non-Cathe workouts I am excited about trying. Don't know when I will fit them in as I have already created my rotation for Meso 2 and it is full of Michelle Dozios, Amy Dixon and Bob Harper that I already own. Probably Meso 3. I'm excited tho. I forgot how great other trainers can be too. I still love Cathe, but I can't believe I have done nothing but Cathe workouts for more than a year!

Hi ladies!

This evening was disc 30 sh,bis,tris. 3 exercises done 4 times completes one set. 3 sets make up the workout. With the rests inbetween each exercise. I like meso 3 but again it moves slower. I am noticing huge strength gains from when I did Xtrain. Finished xtrain then immediately started with STS. My tris were always my weak muscle. I am really getting some nice definition in them. My bis seem to be evening out too. My left never looked as defind as my right. I think it was all in my mind but I always thought this. I also did an Insanity plyo cardio circuit in the morning. I will be sleeping really good tonight.

Jen...lol! Sorry but I mislead you...the squat I do is plie squat not plyo!! My mistake. I think I would die doing plyo with 40lbs!! I really liked the the back off sets too and agree with you about the weight change think I had to pause the dvd a few times. Meso 2 will end up being my fav out of the 3 mesos even with rushing to change weight. I have the same 2 amy dixon's dvd. I'll pull them out as soon as I finish or get bored with insanity. When I do a rotation i get really bored towards the end. Hate to say this but it is true...most recent was the 90 day Xtrain. Needed it to end sooner than what it did. i stuck it out but man I could not wait for it to end. STS is the only rotation that has kept my attention towards the end. Loving this!

Fej...my vest is 10lbs and I am fine with this weight. Works perfectly for me. That is what happened to me....I fell in love with all of Cathe's HiiT workouts which motivated me to try Insanity again. Glad I did as I am really liking Insanity and love doing these as my morning workouts and then weights in the evening or walk my crazy strong dog who is a workout and then some! Let me know how the roller is going too. It does look very interesting!

Have a great night ladies!

Hello ladies!! So glad Friday is finally here! Did tabatacize yesterday - Jen I agree - I didn't want Amy to make me sore again lol. Who knew I'd ever ever start to enjoy hiit / tabata so much? I did feel it in my glutes and hams after - loving that! And I sleep way way better doing doubles - it gives me a burst of energy to get some things done in the evening and then when I get tired it's time for bed. I do a couple of things to modify. I sometimes shorten the minute break between sets, but as I go heavier that doesn't work as well ( can't get the 10 reps in some times ) so my other thing is to split the weight part up. If its chest shoulders tri I might do tris in the evening with my cardio. Also, once I know a workout if there places where she's explaining a move or giving pointers I forward through that as well. Jen you really are impressive with Amy and planning insanity- you inspire me to branch out :)

Labnick - you are so close to finishing sts!! Way to go! And congratulations on the strength gains and muscle definition - its so nice when you can see results - shows hard work pays off.

The roller is going well. The reviews I read said it hurts when you first do it but I would say its uncomfortable but not actual pain. It really truly helps with soreness and getting any tightness out. I still look awkward doing it though lol I'm glad you clarified about the vest - I was thinking you must have legs/knees of steel to plyo with 40 pounds - I must say I was feeling so lame thinking I don't do plyo with any weights lol

Ok today is birthday day!! I'm still 2 pounds over goal (diet cheating ;-) but who cares? I'm 44 doing doubles and Amy and tabatas and bicep curls with 21 pounds - on zero meds and no aches or pains. Truly blessed!! 1 year ago my blood pressure and cholesterol were creeping up - and I got busy! So happy....

So happy I think I will treat myself to insanity - you guys were on the money with Amy so Shaun here I come - have a great Friday and weekend!!

Rlw and Toni sending out good vibes to you

Last edited:
Happy Birthday Fej!!!! Congrats on your goals! I am going to be 52 this year and most people mistake me for 10 years younger. Keep up the good work and when you are my age the same thing will happen!!!! I love it! I have more energy now than when I was in my 30's. Eating right, exercising and sunscreen are the three things that I committed to and it is paying off.

Slept in this morning and plan to take the dog for a nice walk this evening. I may do a heavy bag workout after. Not sure though.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

Thanks for the birthday wishes labnick! How are you doing on Meso 3?? I'm finishing up Meso 2 this week and my doms is with me every day - it just moves to a different body part lol really putting that roller to good use.

I'm glad to hear that at 52 your still banging out a sts rotation! That's amazing - you must be in great shape and I'm not surprised people think your younger - your descipline has paid off with health and a youthful look :)

Hope your still doing sts Jen!

Hope everyone's week is going great !!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.