STS CHECK IN....DISC ONE

I did disc 1 yesterday along with no equip ABs! By the time I got to the ab exercise where you are climbing with and invisible rope I could not even do it!! My five year old who was working out with me got behind me and was pushing me up, one rep after the next!!! I was going to do some cardio today but I just wasn't motivated enough I guess to workout before a full day of skiing wth my kids. Anyway that's my excuse and I am sticking to it! I skied all day today so I am trying not to feel too guilty. It wasn't cardio but at least I was moving all day. My abs are killing me and so are my pecs. I have another day of skiing tomorrow with the kids, but I am planning on doing disc 2 @5am before I need to leave for the mountain. Oh man I am hurting!!!

I know this doesn't go here but wondering if anyone can help me. I am trying to get the view first unread post to work and everytime I go into a thread and hit it, it just goes to the first post in the thread.
It is frustrating that I have to try to remember what page I read last as this thread is getting pretty big.

I have tried hitting the arrow button on the front page also with no luck.

Thanks
Rhonda

Hi Rhonda!

For some reason the last visited is stuck at an earlier date, it's not updating properly for some reason. So the forum is acting as if you havent visited from, in my case, since feb 4th, in which case you wouldn't have seen the threads you already read.

Maybe SNM can get this sorted out, bc I agree, it's a bit annoying.

Yes, I did count those push-ups...someone check my math!!!

OMGosh Cathe, Cathe, Cathe,

Your post has me rolling...so many of your points (to yourself) were just as if we were working out together...oh, but then, I guess we were, ha! :p

Have to tell ya, I added those push-ups after the w/o (counted 146)...told Deb I dropped down right there and did 4 more, just so I could say, that once upon a time I did *150 push-ups!!! Someone check my math.

Okay, let me qualify - while I'd been doing 4DS (Oct/Nov/Dec), I left Jan to cardio, pilates and group fitness at the gym...I'm telling ya, I'm feeling it today, but I know 4DS did wonders for me already because I'm not dying ;-)

DOUBLE HIGH FIVES, CATHE!!!

Yes, I could hear your evil witch laugh when you told us to hold that last rep...but when you wrote this in your post, I was giggling so hard & just shaking my head in agreement:p I know you heard all of us "talking" at you on this one:

Alright now, who's idea was it to put those high end reps on the seated lateral raises? Oh, wait that would be me :eek:. Ok, I meant to say whose idea was it to put the SUSPENDED HOLD at the top at the end of the last rep? Oh, shoot, me again :eek: :eek:. Brenda, your face was priceless!

*Note: Push-ups - I modify on the bosu with as much/little support as I need to use good form to complete the reps (due to my knees). Try it, very interesting with the bootcamp & staggered p/ups ;-) I also use the Perfect Pushups which I discovered during 4DS, allows me to concentrate on the p/up and not wrists and evens me out on the bosu... If you try the bosu p/up let me know what you think.

I also enjoyed the extended stretch, STS is so amazing! Thanks for the challenge...and I did sleep very well last night:rolleyes:.

♪ Cyndi ♪

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Everyone! Late workout night for me so I didn't get to report in until now but all I can say is man I have gotten quite out of shape and just got my butt whipped :eek:

Ok, in case you didn't already know, let me give you a little background before I "report in"....

Due to editing STS and the recent holiday season I have not been able to weight train nearly as often or steadily as I would like/need to. But I can say that I have continued to do my classes the whole time and they are a mixture of cardio and light weight training. That has at least been enough to maintain my stamina but wasn't enough to maintain my "sorely" missed muscle strength and endurance.

So knowing that, here is my report for Disc One Chest, Shoulders, and Biceps:

Oh, boy, I was so excited to do this workout. I so needed this today :) I got all set up in the filming studio, popped my disc in and actually got goosebumps seeing the finished product from the other side of the fence. I could finally relax and "enjoy" this without grooming the footage for mistakes, lol.

The warm up was fun for me because I was all happy and charged up, taking in the cast, seeing how we all moved, remembering how the guys would come join us for the stretch and then boom......PARTY'S OVER Gulp....suddenly I find myself on my hands and toes doing 1.5's for 8, (okay, not too bad), then another set of 1.5's for 8..(ok, getting tougher but I'm good)....and then I hear the word THIRTY! (What???? 30??? Well, ok, how hard can it be, I mean I obviously have done it before so I can do it....). Well I did it, but thank goodness the camera wasn't rollling this time....my word (I mean my chest, shoulders and arms...). I was shaking and sweating by rep 20 and forget about after that....by rep 24 things got ugly...I sounded WAY TOO PERKY on video. How on earth is that possible? I'm going to have to have a talk with that woman ;)

Okay, so I'm gettin through the exercises and loving these 30 second rests. Yes, I'm scrambling fast getting my stuff together, but knowing me (and hopefully you'll feel the same) I will appreciate this brief rest when the routine and format become a little more familiar to me again.

I did pretty well on most of the exercises feeling perfectly challenged...some harder than others due to weaknesses that have snuck up on me during my time off.

I'll review where my real challenges were and you tell me yours, ok?

1) Well I already mentioned the opening push up sequence....amazing if anyone sticks with the program after opening with that...LOL

2) 1st round of barbell curls....good challenge but I needed to go way slower toward the end (I just couldn't keep up with myself :D) Which is fine and what I would expect any one of us to do...including me.

3) Rear fly into band pulls...ok, were the band pulls really necessary? Ha, that simply was not nice!

4) Biceps inclined on the ball. Wow, that was deceiving. I'm thinking no biggie, but by rep 8 I was like, HELLO!

5) Incline front raise on the ball with dumbells. I'm actually not commenting on the difficulty of this one (though it was not easy) but rather pointing out that I really like how the ball sits right in the curve of the back so that you can push that weight up to shoulder height with perfect back support. It felt great, didn't it?

6) 3/4 dumbell curls, again, pretty deceiving. By the end I was working for it!!!

7) Alright now, who's idea was it to put those high end reps on the seated lateral raises? Oh, wait that would be me :eek:. Ok, I meant to say whose idea was it to put the SUSPENDED HOLD at the top at the end of the last rep? Oh, shoot, me again :eek: :eek:. Brenda, your face was priceless!

8) Straddle Push Ups....hahahahahahaha...4/4 slow, okay, I'm hanging with myself....16 singles...well after 8 (at an already way slower pace) the girl on the screen left the girl on the floor in the dust. It was ugly, be happy you weren't there.

9) Preacher curls on ball. I love this angle for the arm. It is awesome but I needed to slow down a bit.

10) Seated front press with barbell...the last few reps were KILLER!

11) Staggered push ups...I staggered all right...right to failure with a flattened nose to prove it. Crashed and burned by the last rep.

12) The difficulty of the wide grip barbell curls caught me off guard and I really needed to go S-L-O-W on the last 7 full range reps.

Overall I LOVED the change and variety in this workout. The 50 minutes flew by, honeslty they did. The workout left me feeling warm in all the right places and very accomplished too.

Today's "event" has made it quite apparent that "somebody" (formerly known as the whip cracker in red) needs to get back with the program. I'm on it! Are you with me?

When you finish the workout and get a chance to write, please let me know how you did. If you have any questions regarding this workout, feel free to post them here.

High Fives, Good Night and Sleep well!

Cathe

Last edited:
:(
I did Disc 1 yesterday with my husband. Those opening push-ups were enough to make anybody wonder if they were really up for this program!

We got through the whole thing. I have to say that it got easier to follow as I got accustomed to the pace. The Workout Card really helps because I could get my equipment together and see what was coming next (and how many)!

I actually copied my workout card into Word and made the font size 16 points. Otherwise, I would have been unable to read it during the workout (reading glasses on, reading glasses off).

I was able to do a kickboxing video today for cardio. Hubby slept in and took a day off. I think he's going to be seriously beaten up by Cathe and STS! :D

I totally did the same thing couldn't read w/glasses on.

Cathe, I SO enjoyed your post about disc 1!!! (Due to vacation timing, I am starting in March.) You are just hysterical! And you sound alot like me when I am suffering through your workouts!

Hi Melissa D. and awesome changes Heather, you rock girl!

Disc Two done!

Mornin All! I completed Disc Two this morning. This is the second time through on these so I'm finding it is flowing better for me as I know what to expect.

Unfortunately I don't have access to my pull-up bar because I'm staying in a different location. So I have been using the tubing...which doesn't seem to be nearly enough challenge for me no matter what I do....any suggestions?? I'm thinking I might have to order a squat rack and use a bar to do them like Cathe does them on the tower.

What are you all doing to increase weights for next week....use weighted gloves? I need to get some before next week.

Tonight I'm planning to do the cardio workout that was scheduled for tomorrow (Kick Punch and Crunch) as I have to reconfigure the rotation around the spin and yoga classes that I take at my gym.
Have a great day all!!

Cheryl

Unfortunately I don't have access to my pull-up bar because I'm staying in a different location. So I have been using the tubing...which doesn't seem to be nearly enough challenge for me no matter what I do....any suggestions?? I'm thinking I might have to order a squat rack and use a bar to do them like Cathe does them on the tower.

What are you all doing to increase weights for next week....use weighted gloves? I need to get some before next week.

Hi Cheryl,

I bought one of those tubing with the door nap here in Germany, I tried to use it on Monday and the hooks broke. My luck! I told DH I would try to use my squat rack (I bought it in Wal Mart) for pull ups, he tried it out (just to make sure its safe!LOL!) and it works perfectly for pull ups. The barbell doesn’t move and it’s stable! I have never done a pull up before Monday; I have to say I start liking them. :D

Cathe,
I'm not doing my STS rotation until May, but I have to say it's interesting to see your take on the program as you are doing it as the exerciser and not as the instructor!

And just what nasty things WERE you saying to Cathe-the-instructor during those toughest moves? LOL!

STS Check In Disc One

Thanks Belinda...that really does help a lot to know that using a squat rack with a bar across it is stable and works well for pull-ups! Now....I just have to get the squat rack ordered real quick here :)

Cheryl

Thanks Belinda...that really does help a lot to know that using a squat rack with a bar across it is stable and works well for pull-ups! Now....I just have to get the squat rack ordered real quick here :)

Cheryl

Cheryl, I bought mine in Wal Mart, its's a Gold Gym for only $99:D and it came with a bench! Can't bet that! I love my squat rack! Until Cahte comes out with her tower, it will work. Can't wait!

I

Last edited:
I really wanted to know -Cathe whips all our butts, but can Cathe whip Cathe? Turns out, yep! she can!
That's when you know the workout is perfect--when the leader kicks her own butt!!

I'm on the 6-month rotation and did disc 1 for the second time on Monday. I got closer to doing all of the push-ups than I did the first time (had to skip the last set altogether the first time, but got halfway through them Monday). My chest is sore, but my triceps are absolutely killing me!!

Cathe, I wonder if you are bamboozling us all to make us feel better, or what??? :) Ok, I do believe that its possible for a person to lose some of their fitness level due to (partial) inactivity and stress and work and all that, but I'm guessing, your body fat %-age probably went from 0.5 to 1.9 and instead of doing the push-ups like a robot who just had three Red Bulls, you just have to do them without talking at all...... sigh.. if YOU struggle with that, WHAT IS LEFT FOR US MERE MORTALS??? Cathe, I feel totaly discouraged now, honestly. I feel scared and not capable of going through with this program. I was probably one of the first to get it when it was released, but I havent started it yet due to the fact that I feel that I must "work up" for it first - do some heavy training etc. just to get in form to be able to do it. I havent been exercising since November (same excuses as yours, plus a vacation in Jamaica for a week) and now I can barely do a 35 min of cardio without having to pause the player. It feels depressing, that I was able to do a full hour before and now I cant. STS sounds so intimidating, you have no idea! I read all these posts here, everyone so cheerfully praising it, some people melting down like snowmen in July, and my heart is gripped by fear and anxiety.. all fed up even more by your post now!
Sigh..
Just wanted to share..
Krasy
P.S. Cathe, I love you still.

Dear Krasy

P.S.
Not Cathe....

Oh don't feel that way you can do this! We are all going at our own levels this is what the 1RM helps you figure out. I am sure that if you try just Disc 1 at a lower weight you will be happy with your purchase of STS.

I did disc 1 for the first time a couple weeks ago. I started out with 3# & 5#DB's, 20#BB just because I wasn't sure what I could handle or not knowing what I was in for.
I hadn't been consistant with any workouts since.....sometime last year either. I did get DOMS from that first workout but not overwhelming.
This week I started the program again. I did Disc 1 with 5's, 8's, 10's and 25# BB. I am really feeling it today but it is manageable. I look forward to my next workout tomorrow.

Please don't get discouraged! This is for everyone! Just go at your own pace and modify where needed. (I can't do all those push-ups on my toes or all of the sets! ;) ) Just keep trying and you will get there.

I hope this helps you feel better about your new program. Give it try and you'll be happy you did. :)

Take Care,
Heidi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.