STS 2.0 Wall hooks for tubing.

christosz

Cathlete
Hi all!
I’ve posted this question on Facebook, too, but as I’m in the process of getting ready for STS 2.0 I really need some advice for the experts.
I’ve purchased hooks for my tubing and the instructions say I should place one at 7ft, one at chest level, one at waist level and one at ankle level.
I’ve noticed (while previewing the videos) that Cathe has installed one at forehead level, one at midsection level and one at calves level.
As I will be drilling holes (), should I follow Cathe’s placements or the manufacturer’s.
TIA.
Christos.

Great question ...typically they're placed at fingertip-stretch level for the high one, sternum level, and low for the band to be placed around the ankle. But you're right in that Cathe has them at slightly different heights. I hope Cathe or Chris provide an answer!

Hi all!
I’ve posted this question on Facebook, too, but as I’m in the process of getting ready for STS 2.0 I really need some advice for the experts.
I’ve purchased hooks for my tubing and the instructions say I should place one at 7ft, one at chest level, one at waist level and one at ankle level.
I’ve noticed (while previewing the videos) that Cathe has installed one at forehead level, one at midsection level and one at calves level.
As I will be drilling holes (), should I follow Cathe’s placements or the manufacturer’s.
TIA.
Christos.
Well, I'm definitely not an expert, but... my physical therapist would likely be considered an expert, even if it's in a different field. I went to P.T. for my back awhile back, and while he was making me do exercises that felt like torture, we talked. I asked him a lot of fitness questions - best equipment, modifications, etc. Anyways, when I asked him about permanent fixtures for band placement, his recommendation matched Cathe's. I asked my P.T., because I didn't want permanent holes in the wrong places either. Hope Cathe replies to this. I'd love to hear her answer.

My P.T. said to stand as close to the wall as I can (facing it, with my toes touching the baseboard) and reach above my head. The top anchor goes at the end of your finger tip. Hope that makes sense. Stand arm's length from the wall and reach your arms out straight in front of you. Where your fingers touch is the next anchor (chest/sternum type height). The last one should be above the ankle bone. I am substantially shorter than my husband and his workout goals are oriented towards being in shape for his sport (armored combat fighting), and he needs to be able to face pulls, so he needed one at his forehead level in addition to the other 3. So, he needed 4 anchors and I could only share the lowest one with him. We ended up needing 6 anchors to accommodate both of us. So, to avoid having to put so many hole in my wall, I installed board - using 2 deck screws at the top and 2 at the bottom, with one in the middle. We then put our anchors where we wanted them. Plus, if we end up needing to move them or adding to them, it won't cause additional damage. I use my lower one for outer thighs and other leg exercises (in addition to biceps and other upper body), so I like my low one where I have it, because it works well for both. Due to my husband's height and arm reach (and the height of our ceiling - walls are only so tall), my husband's top anchor (while being higher than mine) is not at his full reach, but it seems to work for him anyway.

My P.T. said to stand as close to the wall as I can (facing it, with my toes touching the baseboard) and reach above my head. The top anchor goes at the end of your finger tip. Hope that makes sense. Stand arm's length from the wall and reach your arms out straight in front of you. Where your fingers touch is the next anchor (chest/sternum type height). The last one should be above the ankle bone. I am substantially shorter than my husband and his workout goals are oriented towards being in shape for his sport (armored combat fighting), and he needs to be able to face pulls, so he needed one at his forehead level in addition to the other 3. So, he needed 4 anchors and I could only share the lowest one with him. We ended up needing 6 anchors to accommodate both of us. So, to avoid having to put so many hole in my wall, I installed board - using 2 deck screws at the top and 2 at the bottom, with one in the middle. We then put our anchors where we wanted them. Plus, if we end up needing to move them or adding to them, it won't cause additional damage. I use my lower one for outer thighs and other leg exercises (in addition to biceps and other upper body), so I like my low one where I have it, because it works well for both. Due to my husband's height and arm reach (and the height of our ceiling - walls are only so tall), my husband's top anchor (while being higher than mine) is not at his full reach, but it seems to work for him anyway.
Braille, thanks for detailed response .... sounds similar to what I posted earlier EXCEPT that comment about "face pulls" - Cathe does that excercise in one of the STS2.0 DVDs (maybe a Body Parts one?) ....So actually if wall anchors are to be used, we may need 4 in total....

Braille, what type of board did you use ? A 2x4, 2x6, or just a 1x4 or 1x6. If you used just a 1x (nominal depth of ~0.75 inches vs a depth of 1.5 inches for the 2x) , what kind of screws did you use? I kinda like this idea ....

Debinmi, We live in an older home that has those really wide entries between rooms with the decorative woodwork. So, I used a 2x6 (and stained it to match the existing woodwork), because I wanted it to be the same width as the wood framing that was already there. I don't have a separate workout space, so I needed it be not as much as an eyesore as possible - although, there's not much I can do to make the anchors look like part of my room decor. lol If you're not trying to make it fit into an environment, I'd go with a 2x4. I used 3 inch deck screws and pre-drilled my holes, because I was going into hardwood (my home's woodwork). I didn't have to find studs or mess around with drywall or anything like that. I considered using shorter screws, but my husband is big, lifts heavy, and uses a lot stronger tubing and bands than I do, so better safe than sorry. For wood, patching it if I ever remove the board will be the same wood putty process regardless of the depth of the drill hole.

Terina, I had huge (think they are called eye-bolts?) on hand. I got them at the hardware store years ago and had some left-over. They work fine, and I saved a few bucks, but honestly... the loop part of them is only about an inch in diameter. My fingers don't work real well in the a.m. (getting older) and I feel that it wastes a bit more time than necessary each time I have to put a band through them. So, when I get a chance, I'm going to change them out for something else. I haven't done enough research on the options yet to decide what I'm going to go with yet. I need anchors that are more efficient (for cranky finger joints that don't want to cooperate) than what I have now, while being durable and safe for my husband's weight (he actually does a few TX or TRX or something like that exercises on it), so it has to be able to hold the majority of his body weight. So, if anybody that's happy with their anchors wants to make suggestions... I'm all ears. Love it when Members share, because it saves me having to do the research myself. Yeah, I know, sounds pretty lazy on my part. lol Christosz, after you've had a chance to use yours, can you let us know if you're happy with them, what brand, etc.?

The top anchor goes at the end of your finger tip. Hope that makes sense. Stand arm's length from the wall and reach your arms out straight in front of you. Where your fingers touch is the next anchor (chest/sternum type height). The last one should be above the ankle bone.
Thank you! Just the information I need.

So, here’s what I did with 4 band supports. Followed the image I posted and added one at forehead height.

Attachments

• 1685383554183117.jpeg
    1685383554183117.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 16
So, here’s what I did with 4 band supports. Followed the image I posted and added one at forehead height.
Cool - those look like some pretty heavy-duty anchors - sort-of like for TRX systems.
Thanks for sharing. I'm still thinking about this & which wall to place them on. The back walls have some "home-made" hook-ups that I put up for STS 1.0. The disadvantage is my back is to the TV, but once I start, I just listen for the count. I've been thinking of adding some purchased anchors for a side wall....

So people aren't using the door anchor thing? That's what I purchased and intend to use. Then I can position as necessary.

Is it not as good?
The door anchor is fine. Cathe designed the series so that we can work out with what we have. I don't have a door anywhere near my living room (open floor plans aren't as great as one would think). So, I had a choice between using bands by themselves or using anchors. I have wrist issues. In past workouts where I've used bands, I've been fine with the exercises where I stand on the band. But... if I have to do something where one arm/hand braces the band while the the other one does the exercise, my wrists get unnecessarily overworked (the one that could be resting is doing the bracing). So, bad wrists and no door... I'm going to try the anchors. If you have a door, I'd use it. You can always add anchors later if you want. But if you use the door anchor and like it, why put extra holes in your house? :)

Door anchors are great as long as you have a door that latches tight. I have a folding closet door ... wouldn't trust it.
I agree, but if I remember right... I'm thinking I saw a video of how to use Cathe's door anchors. I'm almost thinking that they slip through the hinge side of the door? I could be wrong about that. I was having very low iron level issues back when all the STS 2.0 videos were coming out, so I was having trouble with thinking, concentrating, and memory. So, like I said, I could be wrong.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.