Steig Larsson fans

What book blogs/forums do you guys visit regularly? Got any recommendations for me?

Clare

Clare

It is really funny you asked this, because I have been thinking for a couple of days that YOU should write a blog with YOUR book recommendations. Your reviews are fantastic, your observations are spot on, and your criticisms are apt. Plus, I have similar reading preferences.

BTW, You'll love "The Woman in White".
:D

Hey Janis:

what a wonderful thing to say, thank you! I think you have a brilliant idea here. Why did it never occur to me? I never think or at least, I never assume people will be interested in what I have to say but I confess, I live and breathe literature, narrative and am always reading a book or ten, listening to a book on CD, etc.

This is a great idea, thanks!

Clare

I just have to share this: I ordered "Case Histories" by Kate Atkinson for my Kindle for $7.99 and I noticed that my Kindle downloaded both Case Histories and One Good Turn, also by Kate Atkinson. I checked, but I only paid for the one. :)

I've read that the prices of Kindle books will be going up soon, now that Google is getting into the game, and it's a good thing for authors and publishers, but it sure was nice while it lasted!

Last edited:
Oh you got a bargain, how fab! You have both vol 1 and 2 in the Jackson Brodie series. Hope you enjoy them. Stay with it. At the beginning of each of the Jackson novels, Atkinson introduces a variety of narrative threads, all seem disparate and you cannot possibly imagine what they might have to do with each other or how Atkinson will weave them together, but she will, and brilliantly.

Enjoy!

Clare

Whew, Clare! :eek: Normally I'm a bit resistant to mysteries as a genre (Agatha Christie overload at a young age) but you make me want to try again.

I've had that Maggie O'Farell on my To-Read list for quite a while so thanks for the reminder - perhaps my new local library will have it when I visit today.

I agree with Janis that you should start a blog of your own. And I'd love to find a great forum or blog on books but fear my own non-intellectual reading level. I like to disappear into the stories and not necessarily deconstruct the life right out of them.

Clare, I agree you should start your own blog.

I read Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and was blown away. Especially for a translation. It was recommended to me by one of my check-in friends here on the Cathe site. It's a very well written book with a lot of strong characters.

And I second the Tana French recommendation. I haven't read her second book yet, but the first one was incredible. I found myself re-reading passages because the language was so intricate. And her voice is quite unique; it took some getting used to, but I really enjoyed it. Now that Clare has said her second book is even better, I'm going to get it from the library soon.

And, does anybody else read Mary Doria Russell? She does some sci-fi/fantasy and some historical fiction, but her writing is really good, too. I think it's her third novel that is set in Italy during WWII and is about the Jewish community there during the war. Very fascinating stuff and very well researched.

anne

I've read the third book the Girl who kicked the Hornet's nest. My fab hubby brought it back to me from England and it is great. I couldn't put it down. I have already loaned it out twice. So Happy Reading!

Jen

My copy of "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" is arriving tomorrow.

I'm in the middle of "That Old Cape Magic" by Richard Russo. I loved "Straight Man", "Empire Falls" and "Bridge of Sighs" but "-Cape Magic" just isn't doing anything for me, so I am setting it aside and diving right into the final Steig Larsson book. Any one else?

Clare - I recently finished "Behind the Scenes at the Museum." Wow - what an incredible book. I absolutely loved the writing and the story.

I saw the Swedish film of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last weekend. I thought it was really excellent, and at 2.5 hours, managed to include a lot of the book's details. I read in EW that they are thinking of re-making the film with big name stars, and vying for the role of Lisbeth are actresses like Ellen Page and Keira Knightly (I guess she is anorexic-looking enough!). I hope they don't do this. The Swedish film is really good, and the whole idea of situating the events in an American context seems very wrong.

I tried reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but had difficulty getting into it. I only got to about page 40. By that point, I was VERY confused as to the players in the book. Does it all come together and is it easier to get into? I have heard such good things here about that book that I really want to like it!

Carrie

Clare - I recently finished "Behind the Scenes at the Museum." Wow - what an incredible book. I absolutely loved the writing and the story.

Kate Atkinson just gets better and better as a writer. Check out her Jackson Brodie series which I think begins with one Good Turn, or is that the second one in the series, can't remember. Anyway, if your local library is a good one, see if they have or can get you the BOCD of the first in the series, it is read by British actress Susan Jameson and her narration is to die for. Love it.

Clare

I read in EW that they are thinking of re-making the film with big name stars, and vying for the role of Lisbeth are actresses like Ellen Page and Keira Knightly (I guess she is anorexic-looking enough!). I hope they don't do this. The Swedish film is really good, and the whole idea of situating the events in an American context seems very wrong.

Totally agree. If they do a remake, and I sincerely hope they leave this one alone, which they won't because the books have been so successful all they can see are dollar signs, they need to use unknowns, certainly NOT Brad Pitt who could never be Mikhail Blomqvist and not Keira Knightley, she's not fierce and feral enough.

It will be just as god-awful as the remakes of Traffic by Soderbergh and Dance with me with Jen Lopez and Richard Gere, where the original British TV series of Traffic, so complex and well written and the original Japanese film of Dance with me was so wonderful. Who's afraid of a few subtitiles? Don't we all have a brain? Like so many of my favourite books made into films (Ya Ya Sisterhood, Girl with Pearl Earring, etc), I will not go see a USA remake/book-to-film of any Larsson book. Once you've read a truly great book, you are better off keeping it alive in your own imagination.

Sigh....

Clare

Clare, did you watch sundari's video link? I thought both the director and actress sounded like they were thoughtful about being true to the characters and to Larsson's social critique. Interesting that the Swedish title for the book is actually "Men who Hate Women." I think it's "Mann som Hate Kvinner," but my Swedish isn't very good--all derived from watching (too) many Ingmar Bergman films.

I tried reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but had difficulty getting into it. I only got to about page 40. By that point, I was VERY confused as to the players in the book. Does it all come together and is it easier to get into? I have heard such good things here about that book that I really want to like it!

Carrie

Oh Carrie I am so relieved to read this. Everyone seems to love these books SOOOO much, I sat down today in fact with the first one (Dragon Tattoo) and only made it to about page 25, I got bogged down in the middle of some long-winded section about the backgrounds of the various corporations and parent companies blah blah. I have read that it takes somewhere between 100 and 300 pages to get to the "good part" of the first book, the first part is just exposition. I also think either the writing or the translation is clunky and heavy, it doesn't seem to flow easily.

One of the main problems I had with it is that I really disliked the main character Blomqvist - he seemed very emotionless, chilly, passive - I didn't care about him at all. And by page 25 there had not been a physical description of him, so I just could not get a grasp of him in my head. (Of course there is a LOOOOONG physical description of Salander when she first appears.) A friend told me that throughout the novel a string of women are so taken with Blomqvist that they fall into bed with him willy-nilly. It must be based on his looks because I can"t imagine it would be based on his charm...

I did read a bunch of reviews on Amazon (about 80% five stars, about 10% 1 star, so it's a love it or hate it thing I guess), and between the reviews and skimming through bits of the rest of the book and quizzing friends, I am pretty sure I would not like Lisbeth. It sounds like she is a pretty masculine character, Aspergian, nerdy, antisocial, she is described as being so skinny she could not even be a professional model, she has had lots of voluntary sexual relationships but without emotional entanglements, her only emotion is anger/revenge? So to me she sounds like more of an anti-feminist character, a woman who is physically unfeminine and is emotionally and interpersonally very like a man, and that is what enables her to succeed? And (spoiler alert) I saw from skimming through that Salander one day seduces Blomqvist which to me seems predictable and annoying, the stereoptypical middle-aged guy lying passively in bed and being seduced by the exciting quirky dangerous young girl. Seen it a hundred times in the movies.

OH I am so sad that I didn't like this book (what little I slogged through LOL) . I wanted to be on the bandwagon with every one else :)

Oh Carrie I am so relieved to read this. Everyone seems to love these books SOOOO much, I sat down today in fact with the first one (Dragon Tattoo) and only made it to about page 25, I got bogged down in the middle of some long-winded section about the backgrounds of the various corporations and parent companies blah blah. I have read that it takes somewhere between 100 and 300 pages to get to the "good part" of the first book, the first part is just exposition. I also think either the writing or the translation is clunky and heavy, it doesn't seem to flow easily.

One of the main problems I had with it is that I really disliked the main character Blomqvist - he seemed very emotionless, chilly, passive - I didn't care about him at all. And by page 25 there had not been a physical description of him, so I just could not get a grasp of him in my head. (Of course there is a LOOOOONG physical description of Salander when she first appears.) A friend told me that throughout the novel a string of women are so taken with Blomqvist that they fall into bed with him willy-nilly. It must be based on his looks because I can"t imagine it would be based on his charm...

I did read a bunch of reviews on Amazon (about 80% five stars, about 10% 1 star, so it's a love it or hate it thing I guess), and between the reviews and skimming through bits of the rest of the book and quizzing friends, I am pretty sure I would not like Lisbeth. It sounds like she is a pretty masculine character, Aspergian, nerdy, antisocial, she is described as being so skinny she could not even be a professional model, she has had lots of voluntary sexual relationships but without emotional entanglements, her only emotion is anger/revenge? So to me she sounds like more of an anti-feminist character, a woman who is physically unfeminine and is emotionally and interpersonally very like a man, and that is what enables her to succeed? And (spoiler alert) I saw from skimming through that Salander one day seduces Blomqvist which to me seems predictable and annoying, the stereoptypical middle-aged guy lying passively in bed and being seduced by the exciting quirky dangerous young girl. Seen it a hundred times in the movies.

OH I am so sad that I didn't like this book (what little I slogged through LOL) . I wanted to be on the bandwagon with every one else :)

So sorry you have not managed to like this book.

You got bogged down, you say, with the first part of the book. Shame. Larsson is setting the stage though for a trilogy, so the pacing of the book will be different than that of a stand-alone thriller. Sometimes, as readers, we need more patience and the information Larsson gives you is very much needed to understand later events. The main "action" does happen later in the novel, but the point of the novel is not the action which comes later. If you wait for the "action," you are missing so much in terms of character development and social critique which, again, you will need in order to understand not just this book but the rationale behind the characters' actions throughout the trilogy. In order for the "action" that occurs later in the book to arise, a certain amount of narration and plot exposition needs to be laid down. The "action" pertains to the solving of the mystery that is entrusted to Blomqvist: he needs time to investigate before he can go around accosting criminals. He is, after all, an investigative journalist, not a detective out of some thriller penned by John Grisham.

Blomqvist is not, in fact, the main character of the trilogy. You haven't read far enough yet to realize this. He is described throughout the trilogy in terms of his intellect, determination, dedication to investigative journalism and professional integrity rather than good looks, so if women are falling into bed with him, and I certainly did not come away from the book with an impression of him as a local romeo, then it has nothing to do with any stereotypical depiction of masculinity. Leave that to the Hollywood movie adaptation that wants to use Brad Pitt in the role.

Salander is the main character of the book, and she is the character about whom revolves the book's social critique. And since you have not read much of the book yet, you cannot really appreciate how unlike any literary "heroine" we have met before Salander truly is. It is a misconception to conflate aggressive behaviour in women to "acting like a man." Such misconceptions are worrisome because they lead to the stereotypical pairing of aggression with masculinity and passivity with femininity, which you actually do here in your post. Now that is anti-feminist, not Salander. There is no link whatsoever between "femininity" and feminism, none at all. You can be as anti-feminine as you like and be an arch feminist. You can be as stereotypically feminine as you want, and still be a feminist. Feminism is a question of social activism and politics and has nothing to do with how a person dresses or whether or not she chooses to seduce an older man.

Since you have read so little of the book, you have no real understanding of Salander's psychology. Yes, anger and revenge are driving forces in her life: with good reason. She is continuously infantilized by the state and relegated to the status of "one who cannot govern herself," just as women have been and were judged for centuries. The fact that she decides to fight back against this judgment and infantilization, against this state-sanctioned political and economic disempowerment, makes her one of the most arch-feminist icons in literature.

I challenge you to go back and read the book and judge it for yourself, rather than through the opinions of others. Whether you end up preferring the movie version over Larsson's creation, I hope you will at least consider that since the original title for this book was, "Men who Hate Women," the book stands to offer a powerful social critique that more than makes up for any possible failings in the character depiction of Blomqvist or the narrative pacing.

Reading should never be about jumping on bandwagons.

Clare

Clare,

Thank you for the explanations. As I said in my previous post, I didn't get much past page 40. There was just so much jumping around and I felt the telling of the backstory to the journalist introduced too many characters way too quickly and then went on for too long. It was difficult to follow and figure out which players were which. Also, as Diane said, there was no physical description of Blomqvist so it was difficult to picture the scene, or even get into the character. I don't have any comment about Salander because when I gave up reading, I don't think she was introduced yet!

I will probably try to pick this up again. Unfortunately, I am not very good at plugging along at reading a book that doesn't somewhat capture my attention in the first chapter or two.

Carrie

Clare, thank you for your thoughtful response. I did sit down with the book again and after reading 2/3 through it, it still is not my cup of tea and my initial impression of the characters has not changed much (although I do now cut Salander a bit more slack.) I am now abandoning it with a relatively clear conscience.

I googled a lot of critical reviews and read through about half of the user reviews on Amazon, and this book definitely seems to be in the love-it-or-hate-it category - many more love it than hate it so you are in the majority. Many of the haters, including a handful of critics, have many of the same objections to it as I do. At the very least, Larsson must be commended for creating a series which arouses such passion in people!

Now I am so happy because a trip to Barnes and Noble is in my future for the holiday weekend :)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.