Rhythmic/dance/step workout for the out-of-shape?

SaraE

Hello,

Once upon a time I was in quite good shape and loved to work out to the more "dance-y" or rhythmic workouts, which I mixed with swimming. I'm now older, and have not worked out at all for years, but would really like to get back into it. So I pulled out my old favorites, and soon discovered that I don't have the stamina for any of them--I quickly run out of breath and start getting dizzy if I push it. My all-time favorite workout used to be the classic Rhythmic step. Another favorite was Kick, punch, and crunch (probably a subset of it, where it was focused on combos. Aside: I used to buy all my cathe videos on download, and at that time there was a workout blender that let you create your own mixes, without having a subscription. It was a software you ran on your computer. So I still have those mixed videos, luckily. For instance, some videos had fun combos, but then intensity blasts where you e.g. did a lot of lunges in a row. That's not for me, so I'd remove those parts.)

Anyway, I've tried going back to the basics with Basic Step, and this is about what I can manage to get through, fitness-wise, at the moment. (Kind of depressing, but it is what it is.) The problem is that it's not very mentally stimulating compared to what I was used to, and I find it difficult to stay motivated when working out feels like a chore. I'd like to be mentally challenged by the choreography, but with a reasonable athletic challenge for my current fitness level.

Does anyone have any advice? I know cathe's videos tend not to focus on beginners. Is there some other videos anyone could recommend? I'd like to work my way back to my old favorites, gradually improving my fitness, but preferably have fun doing it. :)

Thanks!

Sara

I am a notch or two above you, fitness-wise, after my reboot earlier this year. I came back to Cathe after about a ten year absence (four babies and life) and MAN did I feel out of shape! You and I have the same favorites! And we started in the same place — “Basic Step”. (That’s what I used to do on my rest days way back when.) It definitely has its place — no shade — but for an experienced stepper it’s torture.

Two recommendations:
1) Modify, modify, modify
  • no risers on your step
  • lighter weights
  • fewer reps
  • no jumping
  • take out the arm movements — this helps me stay with it tremendously
  • march in place if you get too winded, then jump back in
  • do what you can do and keep at it
  • make it fun, like a game “How silly can I get while I try not to die in this workout?”
  • watch yourself improve over time
2) Get OnDemand and start using the LITE and ICE series rotations — both are built for intermediate exercisers. These have been a Godsend for me, for real!
  • subscribe to OnDemand (7 days free)
  • work your way through the LITE series first (it’s easier)
  • ICE comes next, a bit more challenging
  • both have loads of premixes so you can customize
  • you can download the LITE and ICE rotation (a mix of both series in one month) and put it in your workout calendar on the Workout Manger page (this site)
  • I promise, promise, promise you will not get bored! And your fitness and self-confidence will improve greatly.
  • All workouts are low impact, challenging, stimulating, fun, creative and will make you SWEAT.
HTH! And keep me posted on what you decide. I’m in the trenches with you, girl!

Last edited:
Good advice on workouts given already. I can relate to the frustration and disappointment in getting back into fitness when you were once fit and enjoyed complex choreography. I made a little sign and framed it for next to the TV ... " do what you can, with what you have, and where you are" ... helped me mentally in the challenge- fitness, like Rome, isn't built in a day. I also pulled out old intermediate step VHS tapes and found myself enjoying the workouts ... some Gin Miller, Kari Anderson, Jay Blanik, Kathy Smith, Kelly Roberts, even a Jazzercise tape, and some old CIA workouts. I think there was some muscle memory as the choreography came back to me and they got me ready for Cathe's step workouts. You can do step workouts without a step to start, then graduate to the platform. If you don't have some older intermediate workouts, I also found Jessica Smith's workouts good to get back into fitness. ..she's very encouraging, has her mother and a friend modify up and down to match your fitness level ... you can download them or purchase DVDS on Amazon.com. And I'll second the recommendation to get Cathe's LITE series as they're low impact and intermediate and fun!

Rebecca Small has complex moves, but she uses only the step and it is not that intense. Angie Belle is fun too. They are both on youtube.

Thanks everyone! That's a lot of great info. I tried out a Jessica Smith video from youtube yesterday. The one I picked was perhaps too low-intensity even for me, but it was so great to try something new and actually succeed at it. :) It made me realize that I need to focus on positive reinforcement right now, i.e. trying things where I set myself up to succeed, not trying things there's no way I can manage and just depressing myself.

@Abveyera Thanks for the comprehensive answer! Modify sounds like the way to go, at least starting out. Perhaps a modified Body Fusion might work, together with some of these easier youtube videos the others suggested, for variation. I didn't find any 7-day free trial for OnDemand, so I think I'll hold off on trying that for now, though I like the idea of having a workout plan in the future. Is there a way in Workout Manager to space things out? I might be able to work out 2-3 days a week, but that's it (I've got a very long commute, unfortunately, the main reason I stopped working out before. I only have around 2 hours from the time I get home to when I go to bed, and I need to fit dinner in there too, and I'd like to spend some time with my husband too. :) )

@Debinmi I don't have those older ones, but I did try Jessica Smith, and I like her energy. There are a lot of videos on there, so that's great! I like variation. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

@Repo Thanks, those look very promising! I'll definitely check them out.

Sara

Hey Sara!

Yes — set yourself up to succeed! You absolutely DO need positive reinforcement during this momentum-building time. Getting started and figuring it all out is probably the hardest part. (It was for me.) A few things I’ve learned:

• Start slow — a 15-30 minute workout is not a failure. It’s exactly what you need to shoot for at first to keep yourself winning; not throw a monkey wrench into your schedule; and get that “I can do this” biofeedback your brain needs. 2-3 times a week is perfect.
  • Schedule it like a doctors appointment. It’s for your health. Keep the appointment the way you would if you were actually seeing a professional.
  • The mental and physical health benefits are HUGE ... but they take about 2-3 weeks to really materialize.
I can’t stress this enough.
If I could bottle and sell how much better I feel after coming back to regular exercise, I’d be a billionaire and no one would be depressed. But those first few weeks were really, really hard. I was tired, I felt like a failure, I struggle-bused through most of my workouts.
Then something happened: as my body and brain got used to the work, I got better and I started to look forward to working out. It’s like I turned a corner. It felt amazing (still does). But I had to commit to doing it regularly. Committing was the hardest (my life is insane).
You can do it! You’re just going to have to figure out creative ways to get it done. Once that positive feedback starts, though, you’ll feel so good that you’ll be tearing up your schedule to fit exercise in. (Pinky promise.)

Re: OnDemand
The 7 Days free is standard. If you have iOS, you get the OnDemand app and the billing cycle delays for 7 days. The monthly fee is $15.99 (a steal). Check with tech support if you’re still not getting it figured out.

PLEASE stay in touch <3 I hate it when people wander off and I never hear how they’re doing (even if you stop cold and burn the whole thing down! LOL!).

Thanks for the encouragement @Abveyera ! 15-30 minutes should be very doable, I hope. Just have to hang in there. :cool:

As for OnDemand, I checked the webpage https://cathe.com/ondemand_subscribe/, and didn't find any trial option. I also checked out the play store (I'm on Android), but the app there seems to be... not so good, let's say. Most of the reviews are about how the app is always crashing, or how people love cathe but are treated poorly by the technical support team who can't/won't help them, and won't offer a refund either... So I don't think it's the way to go for me.

I would suggest like Abveyera, get Cathe Ondemand and make your own workouts. That is what I do to get back in shape! And when you do it, you can modify the workout when you do it. Like if you have a hard time doing it on one riser do it without a riser. What it is great you can put in breaks after the segment. And you don’t have to do all the segments.

Jen Den

There is an official Cathe Beginner Rotation on the pinned part of the rotations page on the forums. She has Basic Step and Low Impact Step in that rotation, as well as some body work.

Thanks @jennifer319_2013 and @Zenara25 ! That's great with the free offer, that way I can test if the Android app works as poorly as the reviews claim. :)

@vivbc Thanks for the tips! I think I'd go crazy doing basic step three days a week though. A good thing with the youtube video I tried Monday was that even though it didn't have advanced choreography, it was stimulating in that I'd never done it before. I think I have Low Impact Step though, I'll throw that into the mix. Thanks!

There is an official Cathe Beginner Rotation on the pinned part of the rotations page on the forums. She has Basic Step and Low Impact Step in that rotation, as well as some body work.

This is an excellent rotation for getting back in shape after a lay off or injury. I’ve been following it much to my benefit. I’m finishing Week 7.

I started using the step topper only and Basic Step. Now I’m back to 6” and holding my self back from 8” because I want to progress slowly.

I started with 2# weights. (I had injured my neck) I’m now using 6-10 # weights. The tubing exercises scheduled for the first few weeks helped immensely.

I totally understand your becoming tired of the same workout. I’ve actually been longing to branch out. I get your time constraints as well. The strength WOs are short and the step WOs can be split up. Don’t be afraid to modify step height/weights. You’ll be surprised how fast you’ll be raising things up again.

Editing to add that I’m 64.

I know this wasn’t written to me but I appreciate your post. These were WOs I was considering subbing in.

I know this wasn’t written to me but I appreciate your post. These were WOs I was considering subbing in.
Another one is all of Cross Train Xpress, if you aren't just looking for stepping. I used that when I needed to ease back in to working out. It's an oldie for sure but something to look at. I like the upper body workouts, very basic.

I would suggest do Low Impact Step, if you are tired of Basic Step. It is only 37 minutes. I remember when I found that Basic Step got old I found Low Impact Step and it was a challenge! You will be jumping over the step in the Combo 2, but it isn't that bad! It is a Warm-Up, Combo 1, Step Blast 1 (which isn't that hard), Combo 2, and Step Blast 2 (which gets your heart pumping, but it is over really quickly!). I love Low Impact Step because it was simple, but effective. It seemed Cathe and her crew was having a really good time doing it! It had magic to it!!!
Hopes this helps!!

Jen Den

Attachments

• low_impact_step_cvr.jpg
    low_impact_step_cvr.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 0

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.