Real controversy--Let's talk pie!

I asked my DH. It is called mince meat because:

1. the word mince is because everything is chopped up (the Brits also call hamburger mince).
2. the meat has two origins - one, the original pies from way back in medieval times used to contain meat (maybe liver...EEEWWW!!!). Now it is called meat because the fruits the pie contains are the "meat" or "heart" of the pie. However, some mincemeat pies are made with suet, which is raw beef or mutton fat. Kind of like cooking with lard, I guess.

Carrie

This just shows where my mind has been at lately. The one thread that I've felt like replying to in weeks is one about pie...:D

I don't like egg nog, so I can't respond to that part of the conversation, but if we're choosing pumpkin vs. pecan pie, it's pumpkin all the way... Pecan is too sweet, but the way I've been feeling lately, if you put one in front of me right now, I'd scarf it down in 20 minutes...

Now I've got to get back to that bag of chips I stopped eating to answer this........

Wow! This is a lot of pie talk. Personally, pumpkin pie doesn't do it for me. However, pecan pie was how I gained my Freshman 10 many years ago. Add chocolate to that pecan pie and you have real winner! YUM-O!

PUMPKIN! And with a big dollop of whipped cream :D. Pecan is good but it's too rich -- it actually makes my teeth hurt. :eek:

Apple pie with real whip cream. An acceptable alternative is pumpkin cheesecake. I will not waste calories on pumkin or pecan pie, mince meat nor egg nog. (Sorry ladies!) Now I will need all of those calories because I think I'm going to go make an apple crisp - yummy!!

I haven't heard of Edy's...are they in Southern CA? And I'm from Texas...have y'all ever had Blue Bell ice cream?!? If so, let's wax sentimental together.

I believe Edy's is called Dreyer's on your side of the Mississippi. And Haagen Daaz puts out a Bailey's ice cream in the winter which is great with Pecan Pie.

Nan

I believe Edy's is called Dreyer's on your side of the Mississippi. And Haagen Daaz puts out a Bailey's ice cream in the winter which is great with Pecan Pie.

Nan

cool that is a bit of info i didn't know. learn something new all the time in the food realm

kassia

I'm with you! The only pie is PECAN PIE!!! Only homemade is allowable! Anyone complaining that pecan pie sticks has never had a really good homemade pecan pie!

I'm showing my southern colors here! :eek:

The absolute best was made at a little diner I would have lunch at in Dawson, GA and they made the absolute best chocolate pecan pie!

Pecan all the way!!! ;) I like a homemade one though - no store bought pecan pies!

I LOVE all this pie talk! If for some reason, there is no sweet potato pie for Thanksgiving, I can always get into a dutch crumb apple Pie.

pumpkin, pumpkin, and pumpkin. I usually make the one on the Libby's can, but last year I made the one from The Best Recipe cookbook (more work to be sure, but yes it was even better than Libby's recipe). Pumpkin pie is the only kind of pie I will allow myself to have more than one piece (I tell myself it counts as a vegetable!).

By the way, Edy's also makes a reg and light Pumpkin ice cream. It tastes just like pie, but the texture is not dense like pumpkin pie. DH loves it.

Finally, though, I must add a vote for homemade banana cream pie. My second favorite.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.