Push It

The new DVDs arrived last night!!!:eek:
I just previewed Flex Train and decided to give it a go when I get home. I'm scared :eek::p! It looks pretty tough...the crew is dying throughout most of it (even CATHE!!!:eek:!)!!! I will give you a full report tomorrow :D.
I did S&G last night as promised and had a blast! I forgot how challenging some of the muscle conditioning segments are! I'm so glad I got the month off to a good start. I have a superstition about working out on the first day of the month: I think it sets the tone for the rest of the month. I never have a rest day on the first (I know it's silly, but it seems to hold true for me!).

Jen, glad you're enjoying the taller desk! Justina, a lady on another check-in is also using a standing desk and loves it! I use a bench for experiments throughout the day, but I find I'm sitting more than I like. Thanks for the remarks about Strong Curves. I have that on my wish list for gifts I'd like (along with a yogurt machine!).

Well, I'm going to start wrapping things up here and head home. I got my flu shot today (shoulder really hurts!) & I'm starting to feel the DOMS from S&G :confused: so I hope I can give Flextrain the effort it deserves!

Please forgive my "cut & paste" from another thread:
Oh my! I know I'm going to be hurtin' tomorrow! :eek:
This was an exhilarating and challenging workout!!!! I could not keep up with Cathe and Crew and definitely have room to grow with this one. I certainly know where my weak spots are ;).
Plank kickbacks are pretty tough for me (I had to drop down to 6 lbs on the second set) and it didn't help that I got the giggles when the "Stayin' Alive" sound-a-like came on :rolleyes:!!!
Flextrain has left me soaked in "determination" and a bit on the trembly side too :D ! Loved it!!!!

Hello. No workout today. I took the day off to paint the wood trim for the house. I received my furniture today!!!!! Super excited with the look.

I received my DVDs yesterday. I'm planing on finishing the week with FlexTrain & Rockout Knockout :)

Have to run to pic up Jasmine. Be back for personals tomorrow.

Attachments

• image-767599563.jpg
    image-767599563.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 7
Good morning,
I'm going to do Yoga Foundations 1 this morning and that is all; I am supposed to receive the new workouts today (hopefully for real this time!) so tomorrow morning I want to be able to give Great Glutes or Lean Legs a try. Or Flex Train. Decisions, decisions!

Pilates last night went well although I didn't do the treadmill like I thought I might.

Nancy,
Glad you enjoyed Flextrain! Thanks for the review! I love the plank kickbacks in Trisets and I know you're good about doing triceps work so now I'm scared!

Toni,
I'm so excited for you, your home makeover is coming along nicely! Be sure to show pictures when it's complete!

Heartymax,
Sounds like you are really getting conditioned from your running!

Tash,
Happy Thursday! Did you and Bella do anything special for her mid-week break from school?

Have an awesome day!

Hi ladies :)

Bella has been sick w/fever for the past few days :(. She is getting up frequently at night which means little sleep for the both of us :(. I was supposed to do another de-load w/o today, but we'll have to see how I feel come 5pm when Mark get's home and can watch Bella. We did go outside for a little walk today since the weather has been remarkable beautiful lately. I think a little sunshine and fresh air does wonders :).

Glad you guys are so psyched for the new w/o's! I'm hoping to read more reviews soon :eek:.

Jennifer
I'm so happy you are loving the standing desk! No doubt you will feel all the amazing benefits associated with standing more throughout the day!
So the Pilates classes are gong well then? Didn't you say a few times that you wanted to be able to teach low impact/high intensity cardio at the gym too?

Nancy
Ahhh :eek: Flex Train sounds AMAZING! I wish you some nice DOMS soon ;):D. BTW, plank kickbacks with 6lbs?! That's pretty incredible :eek:. I can do it with 5lbs and struggle :eek:.

Have a great day everyone :cool:

So, I'm feeling some DOMS from my bra strap to my knees right now and some in the traps as well...and bit in the tris and shoulders...but that's it. I'm glad I'm not totally incapacitated :rolleyes:!!!!
Tonight I think I'll give X10 Low Impact a go (planning on the Double Low Impact Premix). I still have about 2 hours until "launch time" and I may be changing my mind based on how much this DOMS increases :p! I haven't previewed it yet, so I'll be flying blind :eek:!
One of my new co-workers (she's been here about a month) just started T25. She has the CSDOTT DOMS ;)...I've heard her groaning getting up and down from her chair! It's fun to have someone else "sharing the pain"....she's young/she can handle it!

Tasha, I think the fresh air and sunshine will do both you and Bella a lot of good. Poor little thing; it's tough to be around all those new germs at school! I hope she's back to her sweet little self very soon! And I hope you're able to get a workout in!

Jen, I can't wait to hear what you think of Flextrain! I'm planning on doing Lean Legs or Great Glutes this weekend, so I'm interested to hear what you think of those too!

Toni
, your family room looks incredible...now it's time to get some workouts in :p;):D!!! I highly recommend Flextrain!!!!!

I'll try to get back here tonight after X10 Low Impact to let you guys know whether I'm a hero or a zero!!!!!

TWO BIG THUMBS UP for X10 Double Low Impact premix! :eek:
I did this with the windows open (86 degrees outside!) and felt warmed up before the warm-up! Very good warm up section...then the "meat" of it all came on! This is a very challenging, constantly moving 10 minute cardio whomp-fest! The music had me giggling a lot (Aerosmith "Walk This Way" sound-a-like) but I was huffin' and puffin' and thinkin' there was no way I was going to pull off another round of it :rolleyes:! Low impact in no way means low intensity to Cathe :p! For the first round I stuck with the 8 pound weights with Cathe & Crew, but I dropped down to 5 pounders the second round....and I only "dragged" during the dragging plank/tricep push-ups the second time :eek:. I don't know if I was fatigued from doing Flextrain the day before (the triceps and shoulder segments were really tough!). But, as Cathe would say, NO EXCUSES ;)!!!! I was dripping with determination and quivering and panting at the end! I had to walk it off a bit before I could do the standing stretch at the end. WOW!!!!!
Today I feel great: not worn out, not DOMSing, just ready to get back at it tonight :eek:! Tonight may be a walk and yoga night just to avoid over-doing it!
So all in all, I feel like a hero and not a zero!!!

Happy Friday to you all!
This morning I did Great Glutes! Great Glutes Extreme premix.

Pre-warm up I foam-rolled and then did 3 sets of hip thrusts paying special attention to the contraction squeeze at the top.
THEN I started Great Glutes. I enjoyed it, it is a nice addition to my glute work. I never felt fried but I felt the burn on a few things. I used heavier weights than what Cathe used. I loved the moves and the music and the time went by SO fast!

After the workout I added some single leg dead lifts since there weren't very many of them in the workout and I also did some cable hip rotations as well as cable leg abductions. I'm wondering what Lean Legs will be like so I'm going to give that a shot Sunday... unless I end up with severe DOMS;)

I think I'm just so used to Bret's program (hard and heavy for a few sets and also with the hip dominant exercises in it) that I just was surprised to not be doing each exercise to fatigue; I missed some of the program's exercises (hip dominant and to fatigue - not failure).

I'm really looking forward to Flex Train (especially now, Nancy!) and Rockout Knockout and X10 and Pedal Power! So many new workouts, so little time - especially since I vowed to myself that I would do Yoga every several days. I like the Yoga Foundations because it stretches, we don't hold the poses super long, it is relaxing, and his commentary helps me stay focused on the Now.

Tomorrow morning I have to be at the church by 8:10 so I'm not sure I'll be able to do a workout. A group of us are going to the Ronald McDonald House to help clean and organize - for 4 hours. I may not feel like doing anything when we're done!

Nancy,
Awesome reviews, thank you very much! Loved your descriptions:D

Tash,
So sorry to hear about Bella and your lack of sleep:( I really hope she feels better soon. I wonder if antioxidant smoothies would help her - like OJ with yogurt and frozen berries. I hope you get some sleep and a good workout soon!

Gotta get back to work. Still lovin' my new tall desk!

Hi Ladies! Sorry for being MIA for a bit...I am having trouble keeping up with things due to work and Tyler's activities (like selling cub scout popcorn). This week I have been focusing on doing my 1RM testing for STS. I should have them finished next week and I hope to start an official rotation on the 13th. I haven't tried any of the new workouts yet but the new step one looks like the most fun -- I think it was Party Rockin 1 (the one that has more dance like moves). Anyone notice that Cathe seems to moving away from heavy weights for legs? I might ask her about that in her next Q & A session.

Nancy
Great reviews and I'm glad you had a great time on your vacation.

Natasha
I'm sorry about Bella's crying at drop off but it's totally normal. It's hard on us moms too when they do that. I know I used to tear up when he would do that but the teachers always told me that he was fine right after I left. I hope she feels better soon and that you both are able to get some sleep.

I think I need to look into getting the Nia Shanks program. It sounds like it has some interesting info.

Jennifer
What's this I hear about a bad reaction to a flu shot? I didn't go back through all the posts and find out what exactly happened but I hope that if it was recent you are feeling much better.

More and more people at work are getting their desks raised and they all say it has really helped their back problems. I hope that you feel the benefits from it soon!

HeartyMax
I'm jealous of all the running you are doing -- I feel like I've missed this entire running season due to the health issues. It even snowed here today already!

Btw, you asked a while about about my neighbor...we don't really talk any more. Things got really strange after her dog got really sick and he had to be put down. There were getting weird before but that pretty much finished it off. I'm not exactly sure what happened all the way around. If we see each we talk but it's not like it was. It feels weird and broken now.

Tyler is also doing pretty good with his new teacher. She always tells me how much she loves having him in her class. We had conferences next week and I'm hoping that she doesn't drop any bombs on me.

Toni
Love all the pictures of the remodel! It's going to look awesome when it's all done!

Hi ladies!

Yesterday I did 2 tabata's from Tabatacise + my daily walk to/from school.

My de-load w/o Thurs was as follows:

4x10 RDL
4x10 1 arm shoulder press
4x10 front squats
4x10 assited chin-ups
30 sec side planks

Stacie
Thank you for the reassurance about Bella :). It makes me feel better that I am not the only one :).
How is Tyler doing at school?
If you ever decided to get Nia's program, I don't think you will be disappointed in the slightest. No fluff -- just the basic's. I personally love what the heavy weights/body weight exercises is doing for me. I also found that the TT is acceptable for me to use as a squat rack since I can unload the bar/get under the bar fairly easily with the weight I am using (especially for front squats). It's good to be a shorty ;). But eventually I want to invest in a squat rack. I forgot, do you have one?

Jennifer

I love that you are volunteering at the Ronald McDOnald house :). I have decided to be a volunteer at the school, I just have to get a police record check first.
I would love to give Bella smoothies but truth is that she is not a fan of them :confused:. She does eat greek yogurt and frozen berries though :p.
I "liked" Bret on FB. He seems to have some pretty interesting articles!

Nancy
Happy for the DOMS ;). And I'm happy you are enjoying the new w/o's :eek:. Speaking of DOMS, I rarely get it bad anymore...but I've made peace with that :D. Training for strength (with less than 6R) I have learned that you don't really get DOMS, and that it's completely normal.
Hope you enjoyed that walk and yoga -- sounds perfect :).

Have a great day ladies!

Today I did Xtrain C,B, and S; the core chapter from Lean Legs and Abs; a bunch of glute work; and a 90 minute walk!!!!!:eek:
We're on our way to a party that's about a mile away so we're walking it!!! The only downside is that it's 88 degrees out right now at 5:30pm!!! Hope they have a frosty beverage waiting for us ;)!
I'll be back for a more thorough post!

Hi there!
I managed to do a low-impact of X10 yesterday morning; I liked it. Sad but I really don't remember much of it! What's up with that?! So I can't really give a description:eek: I do remember that it went right into a step routine afterwards so I did some of that but I ran out of time.

The Ronald McDonald house cancelled us do to rain/storms; I guess they were wanting a lot of outside work done. Instead we went to a place that is for kids/teens/adults who need role models, transitional support from home to independent living, help for families, and basically anyone who needs help (Epworth Children and Family services).

We did a LOT of cleaning. They have a gym and that's one of the places that needed cleaning so naturally that's where I went! Lifting and moving equipment, sweep/mop - the place looked awesome when we were finished! On another note, I tweaked my back last week during a squat and it is acting up and I'm sure it's because of all the time I spent bending over scrubbing and moving things. I'm trying not to be too bummed out because I know it'll get better but I will have to take somewhat of a break from some of my favorite workouts. I guess I'll be doing Pedal Power sooner than expected.

This morning I foam rolled and then did Yoga Foundations 1; could not bend to one side because the muscles are completely tensed:(

After church we walked the dogs; it's a beautiful day! Windy so a little chilly; we should be outside next to the firepit but Craig's watching golf and I started laundry.

Stacie!
Great hearing from you! Cool about STS and 1RM testing; I know you've been missing that for a while.

I hope you and Tyler sell a lot of popcorn! I'm glad to hear that things with his teacher are going so well. Let us know how the conference goes!

As for the flu shot, I felt achy and feverish for a couple days and my arm was really sore for even longer. When I went to the doctor to get my poison ivy treated :)rolleyes:) I asked about it. Since I got the flu shot so late in the season last year and early in the season this year she thought that might be why I had such a strong reaction. As for my arm being sore, I probably tensed up more this time than last time -- and I know that is true because the guy who gave it to me this year just seemed to jam it in and press the syringe whereas last year the lady who gave me the shot was very slow and gentle.

Tash,
That is awesome about volunteering at Bella's school! Oh no, a record check?! Just kidding:) Sorry Bella doesn't like smoothies.

Glad you were able to do a workout!

Oh, forgot to answer before. Yes, I was hoping to teach a low impact/high intensity class at the gym and I mentioned it to the group exercise manager; she said she would keep it in mind. I think the time slots are filled already. It's okay with me, actually, because teaching 1 night a week is really enough. I still am willing to volunteer a class at the church if that ever comes about.

Nancy,
How was the party?! Sounds like you were due for it especially after such a great workout and active day.

Best get - have a wonderful day!

Hey all :D I only got in two workouts last week. I opted to spend my morning workout time finishing small pieces of the house project. Thankfully we are done with all the large projects. The only things left are very small activities that involve putting things back where they belong. I can do that here an there as time permits. No more skipping workouts for me ;)

Today was Rockout Knockout. I really liked that one. Reminded me a great deal of KPC, but somehow not as intense. I did the entire workout and managed just fine with it. Last week I noticed my cardio capacity for the higher intensity workout has diminished so I will need to build that back up. I am planning on Great Glutes tomorrow :eek:

Jennifer
It was really nice that you were able to do some volunteer work. I really want to do that so badly, but my kids schedule makes it difficult. There are many days where I have to figure out how to be two places at once. Adding something might make my head spin. I should look into things that are a one time event for a specific day. That would likely work.

Nancy
I love that you are so active and have the stamina for all that. I want to be you when I grow up :D

Tasha
I need to dig up Tabatacised again. I've only done it once. And that one time I did it I threw something out in my back. I think I should start with just one Tabata through. I did all five the first go the last time I did it.

Stacie
So good to hear from you!! I'm going to be getting back to STS in January :eek: I really liked what it did for me before and I'm hoping to have even better results this time :eek:

Stacie--I'm very happy that Tyler is having a good year. You deserve a stress free school year--- well you know what I mean. Didnt know things changed between you and your neighbor. You were so supportive and encouraging. I wonder if she is even working out anymore.

Tasha---hopefully Bella will adjust soon.

Jennifer-- awesome job on your volunteer work.

Toni---I got the step workouts but I havent tried them yet.

I ran 3 miles with DH on Saturday. My time was 32 minutes on Saturday. I was planning to do a strength training DVD this morning but I needed to take care of some other stuff before going to a midday birthday party with DH for one of his colleagues. I hope to workout more days this week. If not, I will be happy just getting in my running.

Happy Monday :eek: Today was Great Glutes. My oh my how does Cathe do all them hydrants and pizza thingys :eek::eek::eek: I got through a lot of the hydrants, but them pizza presses were ridiculous...LOL!! I did what I could. I should improve over time. I will say generally I have a nice burn in my bum and inner thigh from the workout, which is exactly what she was targeting. I have schedule Pedal Power tomorrow, we shall see. I should be able to do it even if I have to reduce the tenstion some.

HeartyMax
That sounds like a great time on the running. Do you have a specific goal in mind?

Good morning,

This morning I foam-rolled and then did a modified version of Pedal Power (I stayed seated the whole time); I did premix #3 which is about 35 minutes including the warmup and cool down. I especially loved the Tabatas!

I think the doctor may call in some muscle relaxers for me - either that or I'll need to go in to see the doc. My regular doc is out today so her partner is in whom I've not seen before. Now the side of my neck is tensed - noticeably so, my traps on that side even moved up higher on my neck than the other side - so I hope to have an answer soon.

I looked at my workouts since my week off in July - definitely am not over-training or over-reaching and they are very well rounded. I guess it's just what the chiropractor says... the nerves in the spine/vertebrae freaks out and tenses the muscles to protect itself. With that area being tight everything else tightens up. Good thing I had already scheduled to be off work today so I have another day to lounge, for the most part anyway.

Stacie,
I forgot to mention before - yes, I have noticed Cathe's going lighter with the weights. That is a great Q&A! I'm also interested to hear why. She may be doing higher reps in some instances but certainly not all of them!

Heartymax,
Wow, you made great time on your 3 miles! That's about a 10-min mile! When is that 5K? You may be doing half-marathons before long:cool:

As for volunteering it is my church that sets it up so they made it really easy for me to step up:) There were about 10 different groups to go to 10 different places; individuals chose and sign up for which one to go to. Between all 10 places about 150 people signed up; they do it twice a year. The Ronald McDonald house organization really helped my brother and SIL (Pam) when my niece (Keira) was born which is s why I signed up to go there. My niece had to have surgery and be hospitalized for 2-3 weeks right after my SIL had an emergency c-section; they lived in a small town that didn't have the capability to treat Keira so she had to be taken to a hospital hours away from where they lived. Among all things, imagine the expense of a hotel and meals for that long!

Toni,
I'm glad you're back in the swing of working out. I'm dying to give RK a try so thank you for the review!

Let me know how Pedal Power goes! I'm generally not a spinner, it's just not my favorite, but it is a fantastic cardio workout; it can be whatever you want it to be!

Hi Tash and Nancy :) Signing off - have an awesome day!

Today is my DH's birthday so I'm leaving work early so we can celebrate! We're going to go to a matinee at our local IMAX theater to see Gravity. I worked 6 hours on Sunday so I don't feel guilty about it :p!
Yesterday I started the week off with X10 Double Low Impact Premix. It was only slightly easier than the first time :eek:. Today will be Xtrain Bis & Tris and Core#1. Tomorrow will be Great Glutes!!! Looking forward to that one with all the good reviews it's getting on the forum.

The party on Saturday was a lot of fun: it was a work function to celebrate 2 of our students getting their PhDs. It was at the home of one of our professors and was very laid back and casual. The walk back home at 10 pm was actually one of my favorite parts! It was cooling down and the stars were out; quite refreshing!

Well, I'm going to head off to work and get my day going! I'll try to be back a little later!

Hello ladies!! Today was a timesaver premix of Pedal Power. Really like that one. So much variety in the routine :cool: I'm looking forward to doing the entire routine next week. I milled around too much this morning and was a little short on time. I also wanted to get some good stretches and foam rolling in this morning. I tell ya, the entire back side of my legs and inner thigh is feeling it from Great Glutes yesterday. Cathe targeted those areas really well. I'm esp glad for the inner thigh work. It seems like I don't get enough of that and it becomes a weak link.

Nancy
Hope you have a great time at the movie and happy bday to DH!!

Jennifer
I hope your back feels better soon. I hate when my body is out of whack!!

Hi ladies!

So I have decided to do another 8 weeks of BBA beginner program, starting at phase 1 (increasing my weight #'s than what I originally used). Truth is that I'm LOVING, and I mean really LOVING this program SO DAMN MUCH :eek:. I have not been so excited to train since I found Cathe TBH. I'm seeing fantastic results-- both aesthetic AND in strength! What I love most is the sheer simplicity of it. Back-to-basics strength training at it's finest. My body, as whole, is a lot more functional too, and I owe it to those heavy deadlifts and kick-a$$ front squats! My shoulder's, back, knee's, everything feels more "healthy" and "balanced". I don't think I can go back training any other way -- at least for the unforeseeable future, anyway :p.

My w/o yesterday was:

1) 4x6R conventional deadlifts (starting weight 70lbs)
*these are the type of deadlifts where the bar is on the floor (mid-shin level is optimal). I honestly don't have the flexibility and ROM to reach down that low while keeping excellent form. SO I place the barbell on my step at one end, and high step on the other end, to raise the bar to 1 inch below my knee. TBH the weight I used FELT LIGHT :eek:. But I need to start off a bit low because I have to increase weekly for 8 straight weeks. My goal is to deadlift at least 120lbs x 4R. Please wish me luck!!!!*

2) 4x6R chin-ups superset w/
4x6R barbell overhead press

*beach work*
2x10R hammer curls
2x10R tricep kickbacks
2x10R lateral raises
2x10R barbell hip thrusts

Toni
So how are you enjoying your beautiful newly renovated room? I bet your so happy all that is behind you now, hun?
Glad you are loving the new w/o's :eek:.

Hearty
You've been so dedicated to your running. Do you do jog/walk intervals or do you jog the entire miles? How many miles do you do, on average?

Jennifer
:(:(:(:(:(:( about your back. I really do hope you have a speedy recovery. Back injuries really suck because it's hard to work around them :mad:. How are you feeling today?
LOL about the police check :D. Anyone who wishes to volunteer at the school must get a criminal background check (new laws in Ontario).

Stacie
I just read that you wrote to Hearty that Tyler is doing well at school and likes his new teacher. I'm SO happy to hear that! I don't usually read the responses you guys post to one another :eek:, but when Hearty said she was happy Tyler was having a good year I had to go back and read your post.

Nancy
Happy birthday to DH!!! I hope you both had a wonderful celebration :).

Have a kick-butt day everyone!

Had a great run this evening. I was to tired to run yesterday so I knew I had to make sure I got there before too late this evening.

Tasha----We are running 3 miles. DH and I have a 1.5 mile route in our neighborhood that we run twice. Most days I can run the first 1.5 mile without stopping. We keep a water bottle in the yard so we can grab a drink...take about a 30 second break and get back to it. I usually take about another 20 second or so break along the last round. I'm definitely doing better. The run was 32 minutes again this evening. I don't have any specific goals right now but we may try to increase this to 4 miles in the next month.

I've been so focused on my running the last few weeks until I haven't been focused on my Cathe workouts or even the strength training. I will get back to it. I haven't even tried out my DVDs yet.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.