protein Powder that isn't disgusting???

mmis29

Cathlete
Does one exist??? I have tried several and they have a horrible flavor that can only be covered up by adding lots of other stuff which of course translates to more calories. Any suggestions on brands to try would be so appreciated, thanks !

Tera's Whey is the only brand that I enjoy the taste of. The dark chocolate, coffee, and cherry flavours are especially yummy with none of the distinct, icky "whey protein" taste. You can buy single serving pouches at Whole Foods to see if you like them.

Unfortunately they are very pricey so I tend to stock up when they're on sale at WF or Lucky Vitamin and only use them as a post-tough Cathe workout treat. :p

No help here, I haven't found one... I just generally put up with it...., grit my teeth and try to convince myself it is not that bad :confused: or have some chocolate milk :D which is proven to be a great post-workout drink.

I really like Whey Factors Double Chocolate. Cathe said she was using this a few months ago. I do not like the Vanilla flavor though.

I have not found a plant based protein (either pea or hemp etc) that I can drink. They all taste disgusting to me :(

Last edited:
Unflavoured, No GMO,Sweetners

Now my statement may sound strange!:):):)

I love my plant source protein unflavoured (Brown rice protein and Pea). Aiming to get fit and healthy is about aiming to be as clean as possible. meaning to chemical including sweeteners.

A scoop of pea protein with half banana blended taste good enough for me!
In all honesty I have learnt to hate the taste of aspartame, sucralose etc...:eek::rolleyes:

I do like vanilla flavoured myo protein which taste good IMO but I hardly use it.

That being said I do have shake when I desperately need it for recovery.
I do not aim at using it as a meal replacement.:):):)

Lol protein supplement were not made to replace chocolate nor were they made to replace candies;)

BTW when I want chocolate i always go for the real deal ;), ideally Belgian, which contain at least 70% pure cocoa butter. The darker and bitter it is more interested I am lol. The point is everyone is different. We all have various expectations when it comes to protein supplement.

I think we all need to venture by adding fruit or essential fat to unflavoured protein.
The outcome of the mixture is not that bad IMO :D:cool:

All the best everyone ;-)

Last edited:
Lean Dessert or Syntha 6 proteins by BSN are yum to the tum. You can check out reviews on bodybuilding.com

I'm another that cares more what is in it than what it tastes like. My system didn't handle pea, hemp, or rice proteins very well (especially pea). My problem is balancing the cost vs. ingredients. I've settled on VitaCost's store brand whey protein, because it's sweetened with stevia. It does have xylitol, however. But it is less expensive than the unflavored/unsweetened ones I have tried, and only slightly more than the cheaper artifically sweetened ones. It's the best quality that I can afford.
Vitacost Whey Protein Complex Powder with BCAAs Vanilla -- 5 lbs - Vitacost
I think the vanilla tastes good. I haven't tried the chocolate, but some reviewers said the vanilla was better.

My absolute favourite is Isagenix. They have several flavours but I keep going back to Natural Dutch Chocolate. I am conflicted because I am kind of trying to stay away from processed foods, and protein powders are the ultimate processed food, but they are so convenient!

Stebby

Thank you so much for the responses everyone. So many products to try and a great article to read. I hadn't even considered plant based proteins, something new to research! Have a great night everyone :)

I'd have thought that if you don't like them, then don't have them!
I know they're convenient, but not really necessary
Protein Powder: What You Should Know

I am with you on this one. The more I read the more I realize I don't need/want them. I would rather have a green smoothie or a fruit smoothie with almond milk.
I see them as a "processed" food product. Something I try to stay away from as much as possible. If they are sweetened with anything forget about it. They are overpriced and I don't feel necessary for good nutrition. You can't beat a green smoothie with vegies, fruit and some nuts. Just are my thoughts on protein powders.

Okay this is weird, I admit, but I love putting a scoop of Blue Bonnet Vanilla whey protein in my oatmeal with a cinnamon and coconut milk and whoosha!!! I'm ready for 3 hours on the trails!

Another weirdo ;-)

Okay this is weird, I admit, but I love putting a scoop of Blue Bonnet Vanilla whey protein in my oatmeal with a cinnamon and coconut milk and whoosha!!! I'm ready for 3 hours on the trails!

That is fine, I do not think it's weird at all.:)
Coconut milk---yummy healthy food choice:D

I do add a tea spoon of Baobab superfood powder. It's full of vitamin and antioxidants. I love this because it's taste good and it is full of benefit.

if that make me a weirdo:D:D:D, well I happy with this healthy convenient choice;) it's very good for baking, making dessert and smoothies etc...

Here is the link Health Benefits of Baobab Fruit-Baobab Fruit Powder

some people are totally against consuming protein powder as it is not proper food. IMO as long as i do not rely on it too much and have it everyday as a meal, there is no harm. As long as it is not GMO and it does *not* contain too much chemical!!!

Last edited:
some people are totally against consuming protein powder as it is not proper food. IMO as long as i do not rely on it too much and have it everyday as a meal, there is no harm. As long as it is not GMO and it's *not* does contain too much chemical!!!

I'd have thought that if you don't like them, then don't have them!
I know they're convenient, but not really necessary
Protein Powder: What You Should Know

My absolute favourite is Isagenix. They have several flavours but I keep going back to Natural Dutch Chocolate. I am conflicted because I am kind of trying to stay away from processed foods, and protein powders are the ultimate processed food, but they are so convenient!

Stebby

Milk is processed (pasteurization which IMO destroys the biological content), coconut milk and almond milk are processed unless you are making your own from the very source, not to mention most have additives such as fake vitamin A, carrogeen, etc. Whey protein can be minimally processed...less then the above examples. Protein isolate is usually touted as superior and therefore more expensive but isolate proteins have most fats removed and the fats (phospholipids) are important for many reasons, so I use both isolates and concentrate forms. If you want minimally processed look for whey protein that is cold processed, it should state something like that on the label.

I don't agree with the WebMD article where its states you need carbs for recovery, not protein. I believe you need both, but it depends on who you are, what age, what are your goals, what did you just do as a workout or event? The *researchers* failed to mention that yogurt and whey are two different proteins. Yogurt and sour milk (think fermentation) are fantastic for your gut health (probiotics) lowering blood pressure, but not particularly for building muscle. One the most prevalent health issues today for women and men as they age is sarcopenia. I am most keen on preventing muscle loss as I age, and I read this all the time on the boards about not being able to do strenuous workouts anymore, not being able to lift heavy, muscle strains, injuries, including knee pain or twinges, think of your leg muscles here.

I typically rely on medically published articles and plain proof of athletes that have been out there for quite a while. Whey protein also provides superior benefits for burn victims, wound healing, insulin normalization, sarcopenia and beyond what I can write here, but I use it for retaining and building muscle. I definitely don't want a 4 to 1 carb ratio to protein after training either, unless I just finished a race or I'm about ready to ride for a few hours.

I know it may be too much information, but fruit smoothies are full of fructose depending on the what you just made it out of, but if that's what makes you feel good then you should have that. My ultimate after workout drink is reverse osmosis water with a scoop of whey protein (about 18 grams of protein) and a tablespoon of melted coconut oil for my fats and carbs.

Hey thanks nckfitheart2009 for the link to Baobab fruit, I'm going to look into that. I love slicing a kiwi up and eating those daily, but this looks really good!

Hi Dirt Diva - sorry if I came across as meaning people shouldn't have protein powder - I meant it more as they don't have to if they don't like it. I don't, simply because we are self-sufficient, so don't buy in any food stuffs.
Justine

Yep protein powders are not necessary, but the convenience is great.

i use Muscle milk. THey all taste great with milk or water. But, there are others brands that have better nutrients.

I use Muscle milk for the protein, convenience and flavor.

I find I have to have protein powder being a vegan and lifting heavy weight, as much as I don't like anything processed, I don't know how else to get enough protein.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.