PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION: Month 2 FEBRUARY

Good morning my friends !!!

You can do it Stacy !!! I have faith in you !!

Quick drive by. My goal for this week... in addition to moderation and consistency.. is to get off the computer at 8:00 a.m. and head for the gym to do some moderate walking on the treadmill every morning.. in addition to whatever else is on my workout schedule.

It is now 8:03 a.m. so I need to get going...

later.....

Morning :)

Stacy, my heart is with you. xoxoxoxoxoxo

As you know I am pulling myself out of a recent depression. I was finding myself going to work coming home and getting in the bed. I work in Mental Health and one of the Social Workers asked me if I was still exercising? I told her maybe once a week and how I was coming to work and then going home getting in the bed. She said "Deanna" that sounds like Depression. If it wasn't for my workout buddies, I do not know what I would have done. Since my actions was to just get in the bed, this is why I am hitting the Gym. I exhaust myself at the Gym and then come home and get in bed.

Fnv - I did not workout yesterday, my body was way to sore. :(

I printed out the class schedule at the Gym for next week. I am going to TRY and attend 2 classes (2hous) per day. The class selections are Body Pump (similar to Muscle Max), Kickbox, Core and maybe Boot Camp. If I have time today, I am going to determine which days of the week I will attend.

My son and I did not Walk/Jog yesterday. He asked me if we could do it Firday and if not I will be doing the 5/10K Saturday morning.

Time to get ready for work, will check in later.

Make it a great day my friends.

Deanna

PS: I am sending prayers and love your way today Stacy.

PSSSSS: Changing my diet next week in a attempt to eat Heathy. Going shopping today to get Fruits, Veggies, Chicken and Fish.

Last edited:
Deanna - sounds like you are back on track my friend !!! Way to go !!!

Stacy - we are here. We will give gentle encouragement because we care and we have faith that you can get back on track. We've all had slumps over the last several months. Luckily, we don't all crash at the same time !!!!

Gym report:

Did 3 miles on the treadmill. That's all that is on today's schedule !!

Food so far today:

Coffee... duh with FF 1/2 and 1/2
1/2 c FF Greek yogurt
1/2 c fresh blueberries
7 whole unsalted almonds

after gym:
6 slices of center cut bacon
1 Lite multi-grain English muffin (that's the only wheat I'm allowing myself)
1/2 TB pasture butter
decaf coffee with FF 1/2 and 1/2

off to do housework :p

As always ...... Progress, not Perfection !!!!!!!

Heeeey, finished TBT LB. Was gonna sub w/ BG but reviewed it and decided to do TBT LB and stick with the rotation as designed. TBT LB has a cardio factor but isn't as heavy wt as BG. Plus it was shorter.

I'm going to space my rotation so that Wed is rest day and Sun is work day. In the mean time, I'm doubling up today and tomorrow to catch up.

Regarding the stop and start aspect of out fitness, there was a timely posting on the Primal site- No magic solutions, but maybe with understanding w/ can forgive ourselves for the blunders and create an environment for success.

From the Primal daily "..... Willpower, experts say, is like a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it becomes. On the other hand, research also suggests it’s a finite supply each day. The more we resist temptation in a given day, the weaker our will gets as the day goes on. Setting ourselves up for success by avoiding as much temptation as we can and reducing the mental clutter of meaningless decisions (e.g. Should I buy the teddy bear or floral print paper towels?) can go a long way toward avoiding disruptive impulses and conserving our willpower resources.

Read more: Akrasia, or Why You Act Against Your Own Better Judgment | Mark's Daily Apple

OK, ADD BM2 Cardio for me, I subbed for CSS b/c I wanted an old friend.
Stacy, if you don't think you have anything to show for all your work, think about how you can complete so many workouts, including BM2. That is saying a lot. I am a puddle.

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,

Way to go with your workouts!

Stacy - I understand your struggle. I've been there too. Please be encouraged by all the PROGRESS/accomplishments so far. You did a 5 mile walk in 88 minutes (it takes me 30 minutes to power walk 2.5 miles). Your workouts are producing muscle strength, bone strength and cardiovascular health. You keep on, keepin' on. I believe in you and that you are a fighter, so keep fighting off that funk.

FnV - Way to go on TBT LB! I have DOMS from that workout.

I just started STS like you. I bought it and Ab Circuits last month with the sale. I haven't tried Ab Circuits yet.

Thanks for the suggestions on DVDs. I probably don't need more strength workouts with STS, STS TB and LIS TBT, right? I think circuit workouts or another type of cardio/weights with step mixed in, something newer, but I need low-impact or at least modifications. How would you categorize Intensity - HiiT cardio?

Susan - Great job on your consistency with your workout schedule and eating plan!!!

Deanna - Enjoy your walk tomorrow and/or Sat.

I have serious DOMS from Mon and Tue, yikes! I won't be working out tonight, hubby is off tonight and we don't get much time together with his crazy work schedule, so I am going to enjoy my night with him. Then errands to run after work tomorrow, so will be late when I get home so just STS 18 for back and arms, no cardio. Then Afterburn on Sat.

Have a good night everyone.

M

Good evening my friends, thanks for all the votes of confidence :)

I did end up doing Cardio & Weights, and sweated and huffed and puffed more than I usually do with that one. So, maybe I"m just tired and need a break. Also my eating has stunk and that's making me sluggish and crabby I'm sure! During my workout I was thinking that "hey I'm working out, and there are many ppl my age who sweat this much walking up a flight of stairs". Progress not perfection.

I've been stressed lately by a few things work related and even more recently with all the money I'll be spending on fixing up my house. I keep thinking "what have I gotten myself into???" Alot of my bad eating has been from stress. I need to just smack my own hands when I reach for junk!

Tomorrow is my planned rest day. Saturday I was going to do STS Total Body but I may just do Turbo Barre instead. It's a bit easier and more of a fun factor. I'm enjoying The Susan Rotation but cant do 6 workouts a week every week! As my training walks get longer I may start feeling more fatigue so I may think about taking an extra rest day. We'll see how it goes. My knee and hip were a bit achy after my 5 mile walk, and next week is 6 miles. I definitely need to go shopping for some new walking shoes this weekend as well.

I've got some busy work to do tonight for work, and the ever-so-fun laundry! Have a good night and thanks for always being there!! You ladies are the bestest!!

Yesterday I ended up w/ 3 workouts- TBT LO, BM2 cardio ts (had just about same time, cal and met value as CSS and I just wanted to do something familiar and guaranteed to be fun, i love the music in the no name series) And a 40 min run while dd at TKD.

The scale dropped 1.2 pounds in one day, lol, water weight that I will get to add back on but not surprising with all that sweat.

Today is STS 18 back and biceps plus LIS LIC for me in order to be back on track from slacking on Tues and knowingly missing on Wed.

I will have to work on my 1RM to make the STS more effective. I didn't feel the Mon disc 16 workout at all, so I was either off on my wts or it was my overall lackluster effort, or maybe the unfamiliarity w/ workout - missing too many reps while I tried to get the correct wts and equipment. Actually, that may be the hardest part of the rotation LIS/STS rotation, its all new unfamiliar workouts.

Michelle, I'm in Palm Beach County, are we neighbors?

Susan, good job on your food, at least in the AM and hopefully all day. I have to laugh tho, what a turn around in thinking- shamefully including a grain but having bacon! What is shaking this morn?

Deanna, did you get to run w/ your son? How is his first semester going?

Stacy, enjoy your Friday Fun day. Don't feel guilty about not doing 6 workouts every week. Personally, I don't think its bad to workout 6 days, but I don't think it is necessary for good health or fitness. Stick with what works for you so you don't get derailed with guilt or exhaustion. Remember Feb was food focus- I know you eatin some veggies today girl. : )

All caught up on rotation, finished STS disc 18- went pretty well today and I had my 1rm done. That being said I couldn't do what the 75 percent of my 1rm for biceps, too heavy but I maxed out doing what I could. I also did LIS LIC- I held back a lot of energy moved enough for me not to feel guilty for checking it off in my WM calendar.

Had super yummy breakie- tons of assorted colored peppers sauteed in coconut oil in a 2 egg omelet and gorgonzola cheese, plus a side of sprouts and tomatoes. I have a ripe mango I get to eat up today. Overall, I did pretty well with eating all my produce this week.

Quiet on the check in today, hope all are doing well. I might go see besties dance at Hippocrates and eat a raw foods dinner but I'd end up snacking later-

Hi Ladies,

I am pooped out today so I am moving my STS 18 to tomorrow and will add in some Afterburn. I am not sure if I can do the full Afterburn after STS, but will shoot for a pre-mix. In fact, I am thinking about re-arranging my rotation since I do have more time on Saturdays and hubby is off on Wed/Thu and we don't get much time together so I need to keep those nights free. If I can get my butt up in the mornings, I could at least do cardio then. I don't know about weights in the AM at this point in time. Maybe one day I can do both. For now, I will just focus on being consisten in the evenings and may try for morning cardio and/or stretch soon.

FnV and Stacy - I agree, we don't need to workout six days a week. I think 4-5 is good. Just depends on our goals.

FnV - GOOD JOB catching up!!!

Yes, we are neighbors, I am in Palm Beach County too! Small world, huh?

BTW, with your diet, what are you doing for protein for muscle repair besides cheese? I know I cannot go 100% raw or vegan, but I would like to aim for 75%.

Have a great weekend, all of my peeps!!!

Michelle

Today is Afterburn which is a Hiit? My legs are stiff from Thursdays TBT LO/ run/BM2 extravaganza so hopefully everything will loosen up once I get started on AB.

I did end up hanging with the dance gang and I am not going to record this morning's weigh in in my WM. : (

Michelle, I eat cheese b/c I am addicted more than for protein muscle repair, lol. I was told last night that gorg. cheese has gluten in it, too. sigh. I do use a whey protein powder to give me some quick protein before I walk out the door or sometimes in relation to a muscle workout. I use one that I'd read that Cathe uses (Gold Standard). But I really want to hear about the chia seeds. It sounds like you've had great experience with them.

My food addictions aside, I think that an ideal diet For ME would be a vast amt of veggies and fruit (8 svg a day) and then what ever else I eat hopefully won't kill me and hopefully will add to my health and fitness, lol.
I think gluten free and dairy free are also healthful aspects of diet. I think Primal (pro meat and relatively high protein) has some good science but also think China Study (vegan, relatively low protein) has some good science. ::shrug::

I am pretty sure those darn Girl Scout cookies from yesterday won't contribute to a lean fit body in any way whatsoever.

Michelle, maybe we can gtg and have coffee sometime. Its funny, b/c in some ways I count on relative anonymity in my online life and it can be awkward to think of someone in real life hearing all my check in drama. But, that being said, if you make good soup, like Stacy, or soul food like Deanna, I will stalk you and show up at your house and demand to be fed. : D

What is everyone doing today for a workout?

I've done absolutely NOTHING so far today! Well, I have had two cups of coffee and eaten a leftover slice of pizza. I was feeling just tired so I've just been laying in bed and watching dumb tv shows, but I think my mind and body needed the rest.

Once I get off my butt, I'm just going to do Turbo Barre today, dont have the energy (or motivation) for heavier weight lifting today.

I have no plans today!

I completed my 1st 10K in 1 hour 35 min. This course was difficult, it was hilly, and I am tired. I know I can do it, so I will try and participate in 10K's events when available and there are no hills involved.

Deanna

Deanna, YEA!! Wowsers, you upped the challenge and kicked butt. Hilly sounds harder but fun and at least different. Pamper yourself and pat yourself on the back this afternoon.

I completed Afterburn, it is supposed to be a 506 cal 8.50 Met workout, but I don't get nearly as many reps in as the crew, so I think it is much lower for me. Afterwards I was thinking fondly of Drill Max cardio only premix.

Susan, I worry about you when you are quiet! How goes?

Stacy, I had similar morning. We'll have to compare notes someday as to what we consider dumb tv shows we are guilty of watching.

Oh I made an omelet w/ assorted peppers and garlic and gorg and kale this morning...dd tried it and asked for one of her own! I've been trying to use tumeric. I can't remember why tho! Something Primal Mark said on his blog....

Tomorrow is another STS so I will make sure I have my 1RM done, plus I want to get some core work in...maybe I should just add that on my rest day, too. (To tweak the rotation, I'm moving the Mon w/o to Sun, Tues to Mon, and taking Crazy Busy Wed off...lets see how that goes)

Last edited:
Congrats Deanna!!! That's a great time!! I did 1 mile less in about the same time! My short legs cant go any faster!!

I just finished Turbo Barre......I dont think that workout ever gets any easier!!

Hi Ladies,

Great job everyone on your workouts!!!

I had to rearrange my rotation due to hubby's schedule so Sat is my first day now so today I did STS C/S/Bis. No time for AB, but it is on the agenda for Mon anyway. TB tomorrow.

I'm sorry for the quick reply, have plans and gotta get ready. More to share later.

M

Good morning, finishing a cup of coffee, going to walk my 6 miles soon. I've been walking on my treadmill at a 1 degree incline. I read to walk at a 1 degree incline to help simulate what walking outside or against the wind might be once I do my walk outside for my race. It's a bit boring being on the treadmilll that long, but there's snow on the ground and right now it's 16 degrees outside so not much choice!!

I was shocked to hear about Whitney Houston's death!! I love 80's music and loved her songs!! What a loss of great talent.

I've printed out the LIS rotation and going to see how it fits into my work schedule, and walking schedule. I've heard that doing it as is, has some ppl's knees. Until I decided I'll still follow The Susan Rotation as best I can!

I'll check back later!

Hey, I've got to do an STS today- 55 min and 3 body parts. At least my 1rm are done for this disc.

I was sad to hear about Whitney Houston also. It was sad to see her in such bad shape and constantly be in the news or the butt of jokes, too. Too bad for her and her family that there was no happy ending. She was able to to reach into your chest and wring your heart when she sang.

OK, laundry and STS then visit my mom today. I'm eating up my produce, I've had mango, kiwi, kale and some quinoa (not primal but I'm trying to eat up my groceries on hand). This morning's food has been brought to me by the sound "K".

PS, Stacy, I can see where that long on TM would get boring. Do you listen to music?

Last edited:
Well, I had good intentions but the walk didnt happen. I only made it through 1 mile. My right shin was really burning and I tried to walk it off, and I def stretched beforehand. I bumped the incline down to 0 and still it burned, not a "good pain" either. I dont know if I had walked too fast on my last walk on Tuesday, or maybe it was something aggravating it from doing Turbo Barre yesterday (though TB is more calve work). Either way, to avoid injury, I stopped and then popped in LIC and did the 48 min cardio only premix. No pain at all, so it was def something specific to walking.

Tomorrow I'm going to do upper body, rest my lower body altogether and then try my walk again on Tuesday.

I'm considering taking something out of my rotation and adding in a day of yoga. Things to think about it!

FnV...my treadmill is in front of the tv so I can watch tv, or sometimes, especially during my longer walks, I'll put in the dvd player and just watch an entire movie. My hubby sometimes will bring his laptop in the basement and hang out just to keep me company, but it still can get boring!! But, that's part of the training, the mental endurance of eventually walking 13 miles!

Ow, I had the "not good" pain today, too. At the end of the STS4, doing pushups something zinged in my back and neck. I hope it resolves easily and quickly.

Stacy, isn't that funny how walking caused pain but then you could do LIS LIC? I can see why you'd want to try to get some yoga in your rotation. So many aspects of fitness...

I was just telling dd this am that I spend so much time procrastinating the workouts, maybe I'd be better off in my life if I just walked everyday and did a total body once or twice a week. Quite unsolicited, she pointed out that even tho my wt hasn't changed, I look better since I have gotten back into my Cathe routine.

Susan, what's going on with you this weekend? When you are quiet, I am suspicious that you are up to no good!

Deanna, are you recovered from you 10K? Do you think your son would join you in one of the races?

Waves to Michelle~ I hope all have a nice Sun.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.