Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/15

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

No workout yesterday, just agility class. I plan to do something today. I have to get back into it.

Diane Sue, that is great that you slept that long! I don't think I have slept 8 hours since high school. A special event at your daughter's house? mmmm.....now you have us wondering! :) I have 3 email addresses, but I don;t want to use them for anything like purchases, like you said, then you will get notices on that one etc. and they are not my main email.

Valerie, I can't imagine what your cousin must have thought after he saw what was happening to his dog when left with his mother. I would have taken it back in a heart beat. That's too bad about your phone...I hope its fixable. I don't keep my passwords on the computer....too worried about hacking etc. I made an excel spreadsheet with columns for "user name", "password"...and if the site is connected to a credit card. Print it out and pencil in the information, this way if it has to be changed its erasable.

Carolyn, will go over and look at that yoga workout on youtube....I don't usually do separate stretch workouts, just whatever is at the end of the workout I have done.

Judy, I see you did an nice walk yesterday...:). 5-6 hours is my top sleeping time too...and it is not all sleeping....it included bathroom breaks etc.

Hi Lori!

Take care,

Deb the cousin had gone thru a rough patch in his life with a divorce and job changes and stayed at his mothers house for a while so it seemed fine at first for the dog. Big dog lots of space she loved the dog but no discipline. It took a few years for his behavior to really go downhill. cousin remarried and bought a condo never had room for a big dog. He was angry and disappointed that his mother never learned to handle the dog, and wouldn't listen to anyone .she was getting old and frail herself. would have been easy to maintain if she had bothered to learn what to do, but she didn't.

Wow ...I often get 8 hours of sleep. Not uninterrupted. Always need to pee but usually read and then go back to sleep I seem to need that much even if it is spaced with reading in the middle of the night
No workout yesterday ... painted the room and Repainted the elliptical. keeping the home gym. not worth selling it . maybe it will motivate us to use it more.
More in a bit

Last edited:
A wonderful bakery/cafe opened in the spring, and I kept buying all kinds of fattening food. I ended up gaining 20 pounds from the spring to the fall, and, so far, I lost about 7. All my DVD's are packed, so no cardio. Next weekend, my boyfriend, Anthony, whom I know for six years is taking me to look at a place in New Jersey. Oh, my very old cat Felix passed away, and he had a long, wonderful life. He was twenty years old.

It is much easier to lift 40 pounds now, but I doubt I could manage 55 pounds. I am only 5'1" tall, and I am not even sure what I weigh. All I know is that I lost seven. I might be 117 or 118, and I think it is too much because I have a very small frame. My ring size is only a 4, and my hands are as small as a child's. I was correct about weighing too much, and I just checked my BMI. It is 22, when it really should be be 20. I know I do not appear overweight or obese, but I am very picky about being the correct weight. By the way, my boyfriend Anthony is 6'4" tall t0 my 5'1". You can imagine how I look next to him.

Do any of you wonderful ladies watch HBO's Game of Thrones. George R. R. Martin began writing the fantasy novels in 1996, and each book is 800 to a thousand pages long. The HBO series is the best thing I have ever watched on television or in the movies.

Last edited:
Today I did a JS 30 Minute Fat Blaster workout. Calories burned 232, average heart rate 135, and maximum heart rate 157. After that I did a JS yoga from her YouTube channel. It was 30 Minute Yoga Stretch. Time for that was actually 35 minutes and 78 calories burned.

I need 7 1/2 to 8 hours of sleep! I wake up during the night one or two times, but can usually fall asleep again without any problems. My body does not function well on less than that and I have always tried to respect that.

Deb, Jessica Smith has several free yoga workouts on YouTube. Most are around 30 minutes. You might look at those since you want less than an hour.

Valerie, I agree it’s not worth selling fitness equipment to a place like Play It Again. Maybe you will use your Home gym occasionally for variety.

Diane Sue, you have me intrigued with that teaser that you gave us yesterday. I can’t wait to hear about the special event!

Judy, I enjoy Jessica’s yoga and Cathe’s yoga dvds. I also like Chris Freytag’s yoga from the 28 Day Slimdown and from her Get Healthy U tv. They are all different.

Lori, I hope you’re still feeling relief from that shot.

Caitlin, it’s good to hear from you. I have never watched Game of Thrones but my husband and son-in-law love it.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Good afternoon ladies,

I thought I posted Friday but never hit send.

Friday morning’s workout was all about the quads. I did several SB’s targets focusing on them. Later on in the day I was really feeling them. 32mins / 163 cal. In the evening it was another Bellicon low impact bounce for 30 mins. 223 cal. I am enjoying the slower pace with my bouncing I feel I am still getting a great workout in without stressing my shoulder. Saturday morning I did the Fit Tower Road Trip Live workout. I used the pink band for anything shoulder work and did more of a stretching exercise then a strength. I did bis or tris when it came to pull ups. Felt great. The pink band is the easiest of Cathe’s. Bob and I then rode our local rail trail 6 miles. Was a great little ride for me and we enjoyed. Last but not least I walked GiGi 2 miles. I was able to wrap her lead around my waist in a way that my right arm was able to control and I never had to use my left arm. She was very happy and I was tired from all my workouts! Today was a fun workout. I did a few segments from some of Jessica Smiths dvds. From her 10 min dvd..happy hiit, dance and power walks. Then I went on to her Walk On dvd and did her 15 min cardio blast and then the 30 min fat blaster. A few mins into the 10 min workouts I felt like I needed more so decided to try them on the rebounder to give me that extra intensity I was looking for. Well it was such an awesome workout! I never intended to do all of the 30 min fat blaster but I was having too much fun. I used ankle weights but no hand weights. I tracked on my apple watch as an indoor walk and total times was 80 mins/651 cal/4.37 miles. I will be doing more of Jessica on my rebounder!

Deb...Happy Anniversay!! So sad about your friend. We are so blessed Madeline has done as well as she has. It has taken it’s toll though. It is such a nasty disease.

Valerie...I did not think you were preachy at all. I completely get it. GiGi needs to calm down a bit. You will love the workout room once it is put all back together. Did you paint the eliptical? Never thought of doing that to ours. It could use some love. Funny your husband did not fess up to cracking the screen until you noticed! Sorry that this happened though. :(

Carolyn...I loved that 30 minute fat blaster! So much fun. Funny we did the same workout. My shoulder is doing great so far. Going to start easing back to light weights tomorrow.

Diane Sue...wow that is a lot of sleep!! Good for you. I am going to start tracking my sleep. I know I do not get enough. A friend of mine uses the app called Pillow. Been meaning to download it. All this talk about sleep made me do it today. Will be interesting to see how much or how little I actually get.

Hi Caitlin! I love GOT and read all the books. I can not get enough. I wish he would finish writing the books. I had heard he never will. Oh well one can only hope.

Hi Judy!!!!!!!

Lori... us serious bicyclists get a little sensitive about unruly dogs! I always feel bad when I see a dog lunging like a gigantic fish on a line with some poor little woman trying to hang on. Gigi is so pretty. Did you notice any relief with the shot?

we rode 2 hrs 10 min ... 25 mile road ride this morning. it was lovely. fairly warm and sunny. never know when the last of summery rides will happen. still needed long pants and sleeves but glad we went.
yes, we painted the elliptical with Rustoleum black spray paint. Elliptical works fine but major areas of rust. not sure why, none of our other equipment has rust problems and all in the same room. the areas of the elliptical that were gray to begin with seem to be the ones that rusted, so we used a matte black anti rust spray and are pleased with the outcome. whatever. maybe Precor didn't paint it properly to begin with. DH sanded rusty spots down to smooth , covered the plastic parts with saran wrap, and sprayed the sanded areas. it looks almost like new. we've both been using it more lately. '
DH's close vision is not very good anymore. I don't think he saw the cracks. in the iphone. the screen is not shattered, and I didn't notice it until I picked it up at 12:30 am to read something and saw 3 hairline cracks radiating from a small pit in the screen. we have some coverage on it, so it won't cost a ridiculous amount to get it fixed. we will go in this Wed to replace the screen.

Carolyn that is the same for me. 8 hours are just what I need. Yoga is not intuitive at all for me, and even when I think I'm doing things correctly, I usually am not. Many simple poses are not possible. my hip joints don't rotate outward well so sitting cross legged is hard. I went to classes for 10 years and not much changed but I enjoyed it. I have no patience for meditation or for the yoga style where you hold a pose for several minutes. boring!
Deb I can't remember if I wished you a happy anniversary so will do it now. hope you had a nice celebration.

Today was a rest day and another family day. Last night my granddaughter 21's boyfriend officially proposed to her and had a surprise family gathering from both sides at my daughter's house afterward. It was so sweet. They are such a great couple. It was so much fun and my daughter had set up tables upstairs and downstairs with lots of snacks, chocolate fountain, coffee and hot chocolate bar, and she had cookies decorated with sayings lie "she said yes" on them. They had a ring game with words not to say or lose your ring to who caught it. I didn't want to say anything anywhere since it was a surprise and my granddaughter had no idea. They dated all through high school. Both have a college graduation in May and she will go on to law school. I think we were all tired today. I got to bed after midnight. Then we had our usual brunch today. I have to get up early tomorrow to hit the bank and store as I have the fitness repair guy coming tomorrow afternoon to replace the belts and walking board on the tread climber.

Deb, the last three nights I have managed to get 24% rem sleep which is very unusual. Generally it is around 12% and deep is so low sometimes it does not show any % on Fit Bit. Deep sleep was 12% these two days. Even with that, I was around 6.5 hours the other two days. I don't know what has made a difference. I have been drinking lions mane mushroom coffee. Maybe that has something to do with it, or it is just one of those things. I picked up the lions mane because I read that it helps mend nerves. I have read that some say it helps them relax and sleep better at night. I drink it in the mornings though. I keep a small notebook with my passwords in it. When I have to change them I will mark it out and write the new one and eventually just start a new page in the notebook. They only thing is this last one I had put ones for bills together, ones for fitness and health together etc.. I keep one upstairs and one down. Doing it in pencil is a good idea.

Valerie, I find if I want more sleep, I need to go to bed earlier because my internal clock says get up between 5 and 6 a.m. . I can rarely fall back asleep then. I wake up during sleep and if I have to get up for very long, I will not fall back to sleep. It is usually a battle at times when my allergies are bothering me and I am drinking lots of water because of the coughing. Funny, my Fit Bit picks up all of the wakeful times as red on the graph and is accurate on the times. It also shows the times I am restless as light blue and I recognize these times as when I am moving around because of discomfort. I hate my bed. I think with our extended warranty from AT&T is is still quite a bit but nothing like buying a new cell phone.

Caitlin, that is good that you were able to gain some weight. I bet it is not bad on you since you work out. It is more about how it looks not numbers so much. I have a grandson that is tall like your boyfriend. He hits his head on my chandelier in my kitchen if he doesn't duck. I have a nephew that is always talking about Game of Thrones. I know a lot of people are fans.

Carolyn, I do so much better on 7 to 8 hours of sleep and really wish I could get that much all of the time. My mood and energy is so much better with sleep. It may be a bit of a disappointment for everyone else, but we were really excited about the impending wedding. Talks and plans are already starting. My daughter has a budget already set for my granddaughters and what they don't spend they get to keep.

Lori, that is great that you were able to get such a good workout with JS on your rebounder. Tracking my sleep is helping me see where my problems are and I am working on it. I can recognize that how much of the deep and rem sleep I get makes a lot of difference in how I feel. At least less in hours, but more of rem and particularly deep makes a big difference.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did a Live workout, "Metabolic Meltdown". 42 minutes, 263 calories, It was really good, I will be doing it frequently. We also went on a short hike with the dogs at a local state park....http://nyfalls.com/waterfalls/eternal-flame-falls/. It was short, but pretty rugged for us! :)

Valerie, understandable why your cousin would have to give up the dog. I can see why he would be upset. There were a lot of people on the trail with dogs....I was a little uncomfortable, but there wasn't a problem.

Caitlin, sorry for your loss. Have you moved back to the city from the Catskills?

Carolyn, I really envy people that can sleep for 7 or 8 hours. Not happening here. I will take a look at JS's Yoga workouts on YouTube.

Lori, I think Gigi will be wonderful once she matures a bit. Labs and Goldens take a couple ( or sometimes 3!) of years to settle down. you were going to see Madeline this month correct?

Diane Sue, congratulations to your granddaughter and her fiancé! That was a nice surprise for her. Why would it be a disappointment for everyone else? That's great that your sleep has improved. I should get a FitBit and measure mine. Which model do you have? I would not want anything complicated...just measure steps and sleep.

Going with my friend to see a pulmonologist this morning. She is having a real hard time breathing. :(...

Take care,

Last edited:
Deb, I just thought maybe I was more exited that someone outside family might be :) i have the Fit Bit Blaze. Itvdoes not seem complicated to me at all.
It does steps, calories, sleep, calories if you log them. I have mine set up to sync with mybfitness pal rather than use the Fit Bit app. has a relax feature which I tried twice. I dont use it. It just paces you through a relax phase of breathing. I dont use the Fit Star either. I think it gives younworkouts to do right from your watch, but have not really spent much time looking at it. I should, it might be handy away from home. I get the readouts from my phone, tablet, or computer. The watch itself only show strps, calories, heart rate, miles, hours of exercise, time active, miles, and floors . The park is beautiful, it does look a little rugged in places.

Deb-that park looks so nice! I bet that is a great place to hike. I'm sorry about your friend :( She is fortunate to have you for support.

Caitlin-I'm sorry about Felix :( Twenty years is a long life for a kitty.

Carolyn-Jessica Smith has a new yoga DVD out:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0765925D8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Diane Sue-I do much better on 7-8 hours of sleep too. I still need to work on better sleep habits. My caffeine usage is pretty low, but I haven't been able to give it up completely. I just looked at my 30 day sleep averages, REM was 21% and deep was only 3%.

Lori-Great workouts! I love Jessica Smith's Walk On workouts. I think I'll try adding the ankle weights the next time I do one.

Hi to Valerie!

Thank you, irongrl, and I do not know your name. I have not been here for months and months. Felix had a long, wonderful life, and, when I move, I would like to get a kitten, as I usually have two cats. Hi, Diane Sue, going to that wonderful bakery/cafe caused me to gain 20 pounds, and that was a bit too much. I am very short, only 5'1". Hi, nick, is that your name? George R. R. Martin began writing the books in 1996, and I read every book. I love Game of Thrones, and I pay Amazon 14.99 a month for HBO. I watched all of season 7, and I started watching the series again, and it is amazing about all the small details that you tend to forget. What bothered me the most here is that the movers were terrible, and none of my books came with me. I am beginning to amass a book collection again.

I lost about seven pounds, and I checked the BMI tablse, and to get my BMI down to 20, I have to weigh 100 pounds. I think I weigh about 116 now, but my Homedics scale is not aleays correct again. Anthony, my tall boyfriend, is supposed to take me to see a place in New Jersey next weekend. I found out I need glasses to drive, so I have to get them. I do much better on 8 hours of sleep, but I do not think I get it as I wake up quite a bit during the night, and that is with prescription sleeping pills.

Yesterday, I did 8 sets for my upper body, and, for cardio, I began walking up and down the stairs, and I did it 7 times. When I was in Staten Island, I used to do seven flights of stairs with my HRM on. Anyway, the short time of cardio made me very hungry. I am going to do my lower body today, and I want to do the one flight of stairs about 9 or 10 times. My HRM is packed, and so are my aerobic studio shoes. I have pretty good black leather sneakers that I am using, and I put a McDavid knee brace on my right kness. I read the thread about knee replacement, and I am afraid to do it.

Thank you, irongrl, and I do not know your name. I have not been here for months and months. Felix had a long, wonderful life, and, when I move, I would like to get a kitten, as I usually have two cats. Hi, Diane Sue, going to that wonderful bakery/cafe caused me to gain 20 pounds, and that was a bit too much. I am very short, only 5'1". Hi, nick, is that your name? George R. R. Martin began writing the books in 1996, and I read every book. I love Game of Thrones, and I pay Amazon 14.99 a month for HBO. I watched all of season 7, and I started watching the series again, and it is amazing about all the small details that you tend to forget. What bothered me the most here is that the movers were terrible, and none of my books came with me. I am beginning to amass a book collection again.

I lost about seven pounds, and I checked the BMI tablse, and to get my BMI down to 20, I have to weigh 100 pounds. I think I weigh about 116 now, but my Homedics scale is not aleays correct again. Anthony, my tall boyfriend, is supposed to take me to see a place in New Jersey next weekend. I found out I need glasses to drive, so I have to get them. I do much better on 8 hours of sleep, but I do not think I get it as I wake up quite a bit during the night, and that is with prescription sleeping pills.

Yesterday, I did 8 sets for my upper body, and, for cardio, I began walking up and down the stairs, and I did it 7 times. When I was in Staten Island, I used to do seven flights of stairs with my HRM on. Anyway, the short time of cardio made me very hungry. I am going to do my lower body today, and I want to do the one flight of stairs about 9 or 10 times. My HRM is packed, and so are my aerobic studio shoes. I have pretty good black leather sneakers that I am using, and I put a McDavid knee brace on my right kness. I read the thread about knee replacement, and I am afraid to do it.

I started STS meso 3 today. I did D25–Chest and Back. My total time was 1 hour 23 minutes with 266 calories burned. Average heart rate was 100 and maximum heart rate 131.

Deb, that park looks very beautiful and a great place for a hike. I am very fortunate that I have always been able to fall asleep and get a full nights rest. My husband always comments about it because he has problems sleeping. I get up more during the night now that I am older but can usually get back to sleep. I have a Fitbit Charge 2 and I love it. There are so many choices these days!

Diane Sue, wonderful news for your grand daughter! I am happy for you. I don’t sleep with my Fitbit and I don’t track sleep data. I can’t stand the Fitbit on my wrist when I’m ready to sleep.

Judy, thanks for the link. I had not seen Jessica’s new yoga dvd.

Hello to Lori, Valerie, and Caitlin.

Hi all..

Body By Simone released her teaser for her new bounce DVD coming out at the end of the month. Pre Order started today so of course I ordered! :) Wanted to share the link with you so you get a little glimpse of my workouts when I rebound with her! Love her workouts! I'll be back later today to catch up.

Lori that looks like fun! no wonder you like it so much. Deb is right, GIgi is still very young and will likely settle down as she matures.

we hiked this morning but not for very long. it was gray and drizzling when we got there so we went for an hour up and an hour back and that was enough. not a killer workout but "something". we are finally going to get significant rain in the next couple days. I complained a lot about how dry it was, so soon I will complain about exactly the opposite.

diane sue, that is the same for me. if I want more sleep, I go to bed earlier. I usually can't sleep past 6, and that's in winter when it stays dark, during summer the light wakes me up before that.

Today I didn't get my planned weights in. I needed to go out on a couple of errands and had planned on coming back to do the weights since I had already done a short cardio workout. My daughter called and I watched her children while she went to the doctor and then we visited and went to the library. I will do the weights tomorrow. I did Kelly Coffey's live Amped Up Cardio workout #2, 30 minutes, 199 calories, heart rate 139 average, 168 max. 2,513 steps. I had planned on using her Muscle Up weight workout today. That one is basic weights done in super sets at around 8 reps.

Judy, I have had many times where I didn't even get 1% for my deep sleep. It sure helps a person feel more rested when they wake up.

Carolyn, nice calorie burn on your weight workout today. It took me a bit to get used to sleeping with the watch on. I don't really notice it now. Once in awhile I leave it off. They say it helps it's accuracy on V02 max and heart rate when it gets the read outs night and day.

Lori, the teaser looks good. I like their white outfits, but white is not practical for workout clothes. I quit buying white sports bras years ago. The fabric get's discolored so easily from laundering and sweat.

Valerie, I won't stay asleep when it is light out. I bought a sleep mask, which I don't find comfortable, but helps me fall asleep with the night light on so my husband can see when he comes in to go to bed. I end up taking it off when I wake in the middle of the night.

Good evening ladies,

Today was a rest day. Needed it after all my weekend workouts.

Diane Sue...that is so sweet your granddaughter is engaged. Loved that she was surprised. Very nice. I loved the JS workout on the rebounder. It was just fun! I have done Kelly’s Muscle Up a couple of times. I just do not get why I never pull her workouts out. They are quick and effective. I am going to love the BBS tramp workout. Looking forward to it and will let you know.

Deb...that hike looks great. Bet the dogs loved it! Hope your friend gets relief with her breathing. Very sorry to hear this. Chester was 8 years old before he started to calm down. With him the first 20 mins were tough as he was so exited for his walk. Then he calmed down a bit and walked at my pace. GiGi just pulls the entire time and does not slow down at all. After our walks I swear it is like we never went!

Valerie...I love rebounding but I especially love her workouts. So much fun is right! A 2 hour hike is a great hike for me!

Carolyn...wow are you really on Meso 3 already? That seemed to have gone by quick! Good for you.

Caitlin...I am sorry about your kitty. Yes 20 years is a long time to have a pet. My name is Lori and labnick is a combination of my initials LAB and my son Nick. Been using it for years. Funny I have started rewatching GOT’s too. I am on season 5 and loving every minute of it. And you are right about picking things up the second time around that you never noticed the first time.

Judy...ankle weights are great with her walks. I only use 1.5 so not to stress my knees. But this really adds some intensity. When my shoulder is good I will add in 1lb hand weights.

Have a great night all!

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I took my friend to the DR appointment, which ended up being 2 different appointments. By the time I got home, I was exhausted and did not feel like working out. Hopefully today...

Diane Sue, thanks for the info on the FitBit. I may look at the lesser one...just really want sleep monitoring, and steps. I guess heart rate/calories is ok, but would still use my Polar HRM for that. What is a good percentage for deep sleep? I have a sleep mask too, and found it helped, but it was uncomfortable in the summer months even with the AC on. May go back to using it now that it is cooler.

Judy, what do you use to measure your sleep progress/practice? Using ankle weights with a JS walk workout is a great idea.

Caitlin, are you still in the Catskills? Those stairs sound like a great lower body/cardio workout.

Carolyn, great job on STS! Do you like Meso 3? I was looking at the FitBit Charge....that is the one John had before it crapped out.

Lori, that looks like a fun workout. :)

Valerie, funny how we always complain about the weather we "don't have" at the moment. :).

Class this morning, maybe a workout. Had a late night class last night and could not fall asleep after getting home....very tired right now...

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a 1 hour Spinerval in the morning. Chris wanted to go to the gym last night so we went and I did 30 minutes of circuit training. I was going to do a leg workout this morning but since I worked out last night, I'm planning on doing yoga and a core workout instead.

Deb-I use a FitBit. I have the Charge 2. I love the sleep tracking and will keep wearing it for that.
I hope you feel better today. It sounds like you had a stressful day yesterday :(

Caitlin-My name is Judy. I think it would be good for you to get a kitten. We have 2 cats too.

Carolyn-Great job on STS! I ordered Jessica's new yoga DVD. It should be here tomorrow.

Lori-That workout looks like so much fun! I can see why you like it!

Diane Sue-I was taking melatonin for a while and my deep sleep percent went up, I just looked back and it was up to 10% some nights. The melatonin was making me feel groggy the next day so I stopped but I think I will try it again, maybe at a lower dose.

Valerie-It's good that you are getting some rain. I've been thinking about trying some yoga classes. There are a couple of studios close by that have morning classes.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Judy

This morning I did Cardio Supersets from the Low Impact Series. Workout time was 42 minutes, 291 calories, average heart rate was 127 and maximum heart rate 153.

I occasionally sleep with the Fitbit to see what my data looks like. This morning I am taking my car in for service and to have the airbag recall repair done. I’m afraid that’s going to take much of my day.

Hello to everyone and wishing you a wonderful day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.