My turn for a home fitness vent!!!

I quit telling people how I stay in shape. I just don't get any respect for it eventhough I have lots to show off. Thier loss.

Great story!

I think that when a lot of people hear the term *home fitness* they think *infomercial* and *scam.* So many infomercials(and I don't just mean fitness related) make such outrageous claims that everyone knows they can't be true so people are skeptical of anything they perceive as coming from that market.

I realize that Cathe's videos aren't an infomercial product but I think to the common person any home fitness person/product is synonomous with television advertising and is therefore suspect.

I agree !! I went out with someone this past Sunday evening and told them about step aerobics and the classes I took with Cathe on the July RT and they looked at me like I was speaking in a different language or something and compared Cathe to Denis Austin. Then I tell them I am training to run a 5K and they think "that" is the "real way" to work out.

Isn't it amazing that people who know you have a workout room at home think that all you have are a couple of "little pink weights"? And it couldn't possibly be doing you any good. Nobody ever thinks I'm really going to the gym, they just think I look like I do naturally. It's really irritating and even quite amusing that people don't realize the intensity of home workouts.

All we have to do is invite someone over for a "session" and they will be believers forevermore!

Thought I'd throw this is. We live in a neighborhood with a club close by and everybody thats anybody trains there. Everyone tries to impress themselves by how early they get there to "train with Jose" Jose is the personal trainer, he's great shape and a friend of ours. So one day there were a group of us at someones house for dinner and the subject came up again, and someone asked me when I trained with Jose. I said never, I train at home on my own, we have our own gym. You would have thought I said I boil rabbits it a pot or something! So I continued on that I have 2 small children and a job and if I wanted to train it had to be at home or it wouldn't get done. so I start get snickers from everyone until Jose(I love him) says "i totally agree, I do most of my training at home too, most of my in really great shape clients train at home". So THERE! Let me also mention that the ones that were so proud of training with him think that training 2x a week for a hour is all you need. Ok, I know I am being petty, but if PT think training at home is a good idea then...:cool:

Well now, aren't you all doing the exact same thing health club members are doing to us? ;) I'm sensing a bit of defensiveness on the forums! :eek:

As someone who uses both the gym and home workouts, I feel that both have their own benefits, & both are useful in anyone's routine. I can't tell you how frustrated I've gotten at the gym when people ask me when I do my cardio & I tell them at home, & then get a smirk in return.

By the same token, I've seen an awful lot of undeserved health club bashing on this forum.

I'll never give up the gym--there are things I can do there that I'd never be able to do at home. That said, it takes much more discipline for me to take the time to pack gym clothes, drive 15 minutes to the club after work, drive 15 minutes home, & unpack my work clothes, jewelry, etc.

I'll never give up my home workouts--I'd never be able to have the hardcore fitness routine I have now without the flexibility & ease of opening my basement door, walking down my stairs & jumping right into a workout. Also, I don't get as good of a cardio workout on machines at the gym as I do with Cathe or another home instructor.

It's just a matter of doing what you enjoy most & what you can fit into your schedule. Neither is better than the other, just different.

Well said, LauraMax!

Call me meathead, cuz I love my current gym - it's got lifting platforms, bumper plates...and oh, yeah...spotters!

Gyms are great if you want to lift super heavy and don't have the room/money for home gym equipment. They're also great for classes you can't get on DVD. They're great for exercisers who need others to help motivate them, or for those who truly enjoy the social aspect of working out with others. But I agree ... it seems to be two separate worlds. They CAN however peacefully co-exist. I have seen it happen.

Carol
:)

Last edited:
I didn’t sense any gym bashing from this post. Everyone is just defending the home gym concept. I didn’t realize many gym goers had such a negative attitude towards home gyms. I guess they don't realize how difficult a home workout can really be and that you really don't need any of those machines to get the job done.

Well now, aren't you all doing the exact same thing health club members are doing to us? ;) I'm sensing a bit of defensiveness on the forums! :eek:

As someone who uses both the gym and home workouts, I feel that both have their own benefits, & both are useful in anyone's routine. I can't tell you how frustrated I've gotten at the gym when people ask me when I do my cardio & I tell them at home, & then get a smirk in return.

By the same token, I've seen an awful lot of undeserved health club bashing on this forum.

I'll never give up the gym--there are things I can do there that I'd never be able to do at home. That said, it takes much more discipline for me to take the time to pack gym clothes, drive 15 minutes to the club after work, drive 15 minutes home, & unpack my work clothes, jewelry, etc.

I'll never give up my home workouts--I'd never be able to have the hardcore fitness routine I have now without the flexibility & ease of opening my basement door, walking down my stairs & jumping right into a workout. Also, I don't get as good of a cardio workout on machines at the gym as I do with Cathe or another home instructor.

It's just a matter of doing what you enjoy most & what you can fit into your schedule. Neither is better than the other, just different.

Laura, I couldn't have said it better.

laura(and others) i hope nothing i said referred that i have a problem with gyms, b/c really i don't. if i could afford to i am sure i would belong to one myself :). its not even ppl at the gym,just the mindset of some folks in general that think you can't get fit with a video! i if i could i would lift heavy at a gym and do my cardio at home or run.

kassia

I didn't sense gym bashing either. I think the comments were more directed toward those who openly scoffed at home fitness routines.

Maybe I missed it.

laura(and others) i hope nothing i said referred that i have a problem with gyms, b/c really i don't. if i could afford to i am sure i would belong to one myself :). its not even ppl at the gym,just the mindset of some folks in general that think you can't get fit with a video! i if i could i would lift heavy at a gym and do my cardio at home or run.

kassia

Hey Kassia :)

In reality, I don't think the "gym people" who completely poo-poo home and/or video enthusiasts are the set who have much to show for their "efforts"...(think guy on recumbent bike at 5mph reading newspaper).

The director at the fitness center that I go to knows about P90x and even expressed interest in seeing what it consisted of. I've brought my kettlebells in because a trainer there was interested in trying them out.

In return, there are a number of athletes at the gym who've given me ideas for exercises. There are lots of cool concepts out there to explore.

One thing I will say though...I have no love for weight machines. Total waste of space and $$$ (but that's seed for another thread). ;)

Laura, no bashing of health clubs intended, sorry if that's the impression you got. The sole intent of this post was just venting on my part when someone gives you a compliment, then tries to take it away because you're not in complete agreement with the way they think things should be done.

I've actually given some consideration to joining a gym this winter after I get laid off from the hotel to give myself some more cardio options, and to get myself out of the house on occasion!

I didn't sense gym bashing either. I think the comments were more directed toward those who openly scoffed at home fitness routines.

Maybe I missed it.

It's there. I started copying & pasting the negative remarks re. the gym & those who train there but stopped b/c it got too time consuming. Also, please note, I said there has been club bashing on the forum, not in this thread only. Also, bashing people who train at a gym is pretty much the same thing.

Again, I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. All I'm saying is, to each her own.

Gayle, you don't like machines? ANY machines? I love the leg extension & ham curl machine. Also the Smith machine, which I find very versatile, & the leg press, without which my leg routine would be nothing. ;) And the cables, lots & lots of use for cables.

Probably everything else I could do with free weights.

I have a friend...she wanted to see my exercise room...She walked in it and said..."where are your machines..." I said...no machines...just this step...my tall step all these weights, and all these videos...this is the only machine I will need...other than the horse power I have out in the field.

She couldn't believe it...she couldn't believe how motivated I could be to do this and get up at the hour I do.

She mentioned to me that she would never find herself in the gym because she is so overweight and intimdated by the way people would treat her. She had no idea that it would take so little space.

I sent her links to some of the workouts I thought would benifit her and be easy enough for her...but I honestly don't think she started doing anything...but I'm glad I was able to help her get out of the mind set.

She would love to ride her horse again...but only she can make the commitment to do the work...

Laura, no bashing of health clubs intended, sorry if that's the impression you got. The sole intent of this post was just venting on my part when someone gives you a compliment, then tries to take it away because you're not in complete agreement with the way they think things should be done.

I've actually given some consideration to joining a gym this winter after I get laid off from the hotel to give myself some more cardio options, and to get myself out of the house on occasion!

No worries, I didn't get that from your post Jerry. :) I know just where you're coming from--I think I mentioned in my other post how annoyed I get w/the reactions from those at my gym who find out I do cardio at home. And god forbid they actually try a home workout, no matter how many times I offer to lend them one.

Except I will never compliment anyone who does not agree with me 100%. :cool::eek::p

The gym is a nice social outlet--you'll meet people there who'll have at least one thing in common with you. And the classes can be fun, although not quite as fun or intense as Cathe. ;)

Gayle, you don't like machines? ANY machines? I love the leg extension & ham curl machine. Also the Smith machine, which I find very versatile, & the leg press, without which my leg routine would be nothing. ;) And the cables, lots & lots of use for cables.

Currently, none that I can really think of...maybe a Gravitron for pull up progressions.

I've been doing a lot of reading lately on strength training (pure strength, not anything with a bodybuilding focus) and finding quite a bit of info on how the human body is meant to work as a system, as opposed to muscles working in isolation... a la most machines.

I've also shifted my training in that direction during the last year with kettlebells, CrossFit, Oly lifting, heavy barbell stuff and have been really happy with what's happening. I lost a fair amount of muscle in my left leg when I had my ACL surgery. The focused KB and Oly work that I've done in the last month has put more muscle back on it than anything else I did prior.

I think in the end...it depends on what your goals are. :)

It's there.
Ah, I'm not paying attention then. Plus I was referring to this thread alone. (I only read a small portion of the threads here. :eek: )

I think people knock others' choices down for a couple of reasons...perhaps reasons of which they themselves are unaware. Some who have been criticized in the past can then become sensitive on an issue, leading them to swing in the other direction via the defensiveness you mentioned.

Then there are those who feel any opinion other than their own is a critique of them (which it isn't). So they're quick to criticize in order to continue feeling good about their own choices.

I haven't experienced this with gyms or workouts in general (another benefit of really not discussing it much with other people ;) ), but I have experienced this kind of behavior in other areas of my life (which explains my musing on the subject!).

In India, I have noticed no bias against home fitness. People come to the gym for guidance and equipment because they dont know how to get a good workout otherwise. Home workout DVDs are almost unheard of. I show people Cathe and Tracey Stahele on my ipod in video format and they think these workouts beat anything they do at the gym. Those who can afford to (gym memberships are way more affordable than a home gym) often set up home gyms.

I love showing off my Cathe DVD techniques at the gym. Often, gym members ask to learn those exercises. Some Cathe exercises - especially plank variations, stability ball work, leg presses on a step, and band work have been adopted by the trainers in my gym in the routines they put together for their clients.

...... I love the leg extension & ham curl machine. Also the Smith machine, which I find very versatile, & the leg press, without which my leg routine would be nothing. ;) And the cables, lots & lots of use for cables.

Probably everything else I could do with free weights.

Laura,

You could be my (way more fit) twin in the United States. My most used machines too are the Leg extension, Leg Curl, Smith. I also love the Lat Pulldown station.

I enjoy working out both at home and at the gym like you. I do most of my weight training at the gym.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.