My hair costs a fortune!

Govtgirl

Cathlete
Ok, so how much does your hair cost? I went to Vidal Sassoon yesterday and dropped $230! Again! The haircut was 80 bucks, and the **gorgeous** highlights were $150!!

I know, I know, totally a fortune, but if I go to my local salon the grand total would be $160 (cut =60, color=100), and it wouldn't look near as good as this does. At the local salon, you can see where the color stops and starts, it doesn't look natural at all, it's sort of "chunky". Plus, they have trouble mixing two colors, so its lowlights and highlights.

I have light brown-ish red/dark blonde hair (as a kid I was a natural blonde) so I get highlights to punch it up, plus hide the gray (I'm pushing 50). At least, the highlights I only do twice a year....Who cares about the cost of gas, I gotta keep my hair looking good! :D I live in Northern Virginia too, so everything costs an arm and a leg, but jeepers it's expensive!

Last edited:
I love playing with my hair. I think the most I've ever spent was $80, but that included a cut and color. My hairdresser is a family friend, and she's a total blast. I tell myself a good chunk of the money goes towards the entertainment portion of the afternoon. :p

Lately I've been holding back on certain expenses, hair included. I'm growing out my bob anyway, so that's no big deal, but I'm coloring my own hair again. I hate doing it myself, but it saves bucks. Plus I don't do anything super cool ~ just an all-over color.

I hate how fast my color fades though! A month ago, I was a rich dark brown. Now I have faded back to dark red (with the gray). Grrr.

Don't feel bad. Mine is worse. I think my haircut is $175 and the highlights are about $200, but the highlights only have to be done 3x per year and the haircut only twice per year, so, on an annual basis, it's not that bad. I really think the people I use are geniuses though. I only wish I was as good at what I do as they are at what they do.

My hair is such an important part of the way I look, and the way I look is such an important part of how I feel on the job, that I'm willing to divest myself of a small fortune. I really feel that looking sharp helps my career.

Last edited:
I do cut and color every four weeks without fail. That's $95. Highlights are every 3-4 months, so that makes the total $145 (plus tip, of course). I agree that how my hair looks is important to me, so if I have to I'm willing to economize in other areas.

I used to spend $120 every four weeks for a cut and color. Deciding to cut back, I now have a young woman at Saturdays who cuts my hair much better for $17 (plus $5 tip) and I finally got the perfect hair color by experimenting with products from Sally's. That costs about $4. Ch-ching. And my hair has never looked or felt better.

I'm getting the Brazilian Keratin Treatment done on my hair Wednesday in Denver. The cost starts at $300 and goes up from there depending on hair length, etc. Not sure how much it will cost and I don't care. I know the treatment is controversial (b/c it has formaldehyde in it) and I don't care about that either. The salon is about 100 miles away, so gas will not be cheap. And I'll have to have my hair cut. And I'm SO EXCITED I can hardly stand it!

I get my hair cut 3 times per year for $30.00. I don't get highlights, etc. I can't imagine spending that much on my hair or at least not yet/now.

I am glad you are really happy with your hairdo. :D

As long as we are talking hair... I found an amazing product line - KENRA. I love this stuff. They have a sulfate free shampoo. I feel like I finally found the right combo that my hair needs...umm, yes - product junkie here :) I color my own hair, don't pay that much for a cut but will swear up and down by Kenra sulfate free shampoo followed by their mango butter conditioner. Next, Bumble and Bumble styling lotion spray and a small amount of Fekkai glossing creme. Dry with ionic dryer, lightly Chi after spritzing Nexxus spray to protect from the heat, finish off with Phyto anti frizz serum on the ends and a little Kenra medium hold working spray here and there. Yep, I will try anything until I get the right thing :rolleyes: Kenra also makes a good product for wavy hair when you just want to wash and let it air dry without having your hair turn into a frizz monster (especially in Houston!) I will also take something back if I just hate it - Ulta and Sephora are great about that. So, I don't spend a ton on cut and color but have not been shy about products...now that I've found what I like, after years of searching, I am putting on the blinders when I go into these places and only getting stuff when I run out. I definitely have my favorite brands of makeup, soaps, etc and it all has to be animal friendly or I won't even consider it, no matter how good it is.

I spend $160 on full color every 4-5 months(high and low lights), $60 on fill color(color roots only) every 6 weeks. I love the fill process my stylist does. I never have exposed roots, and my hair is not getting over processed by full color process since my highlights are bleached. I spend $50 every month on eye lash extensions. That does not include tip or hair products I buy every other month. :eek:
I never added it up. I really like my hair dresser and my color is perfect. It's the color I had naturally in my youth. It's totally worth it to me!!!

I'm getting the Brazilian Keratin Treatment done on my hair Wednesday in Denver. The cost starts at $300 and goes up from there depending on hair length, etc. Not sure how much it will cost and I don't care. I know the treatment is controversial (b/c it has formaldehyde in it) and I don't care about that either. The salon is about 100 miles away, so gas will not be cheap. And I'll have to have my hair cut. And I'm SO EXCITED I can hardly stand it!
Lol, Suz, I think that is the definition of insanity! :p:D

Thankfully, I don't have to get anything done to me hair... well, at least I don't want anything done to it. I don't care too much about color or what's in style, because I am totally not cool at all. ;) I also hate the maintenance. When I start getting grays I may start getting it colored, but I will wait to see if it's that pretty silver gray or that yellow stuff before I do any coloring. But, with that said, I pay $65 for a cut and style every 4 months from the only person who truly understands my wild and thick hair - at least, she is the only one in our area in the past 8 years who hasn't botched it up and made it look like a horror movie. (I used to drive to Chicago to get it done, but my girl moved away.)

Missy

When I start getting grays I may start getting it colored, but I will wait to see if it's that pretty silver gray or that yellow stuff before I do any coloring.

My hair turned a dull, mousy, brown before I began to get a few grays. So, I have this horrible color that looks like death next to my fair skin. Not attractive at all. :( I've been told, that it is very common for the hair to change colors before graying.

I live in a small town & my hairdresser has her salon attached to her house. I pay $15 for a haircut - $45 for color. & I'm happy with the job. If I go tot the mall & have it done it's close to $100 + tip on both of course.

I would like to see Jerry chime in on this one ;)

My haircut's cost $120 + color $130 = $250 together. I have a shorter haircut too, so that means I have to go more often than when my hair was long.

Monica

I don't spend a lot.

Hi,

My haircut costs $20.00 and that is all I have done so far.
I had highlights once about 3 years ago and liked the results that cost about $60.00 at
the time. I currently do some of my own coloring using products that are supposed to have less harmful chemicals in them. My gray hair is managable on my own now but for the future I may need to get coloring done at a salon.

Cindy

I live in a small town & my hairdresser has her salon attached to her house. I pay $15 for a haircut - $45 for color. & I'm happy with the job. If I go tot the mall & have it done it's close to $100 + tip on both of course.

I would like to see Jerry chime in on this one ;)

I feel better knowing I'm not alone. :D I never used to spend this much on my hair, but it does make me feel so much better, and I guess it averages out over all the years I got $15 haircuts and used "Sun-In"!

Hey Suz, you have GOT to post pictures of your hair after your treatment. I just Googled it, am am very excited for you! I considered a straightening treatment years ago, but as I've gotten older, my hair isn't as curly so I don't really need it anymore. Please, post B&A pics!

You are definetly not alone Govtgirl. And the money spent is totally worth it if you feel good about the outcome.

I spend about $95-$120 on my hair every 7 weeks. Alternating between a full or partial foil and a cut. It's well worth it! The way your hair looks and makes you feel is extremely important IMHO.

My SIL is a stylist and I gave her a shot for a short span of time to save money and I really regretted it. I'd rather spend a small fortune to keep my hair looking nice than spend less money and have my hair look "not so nice" and in turn make me feel "not so nice"!!!!

Hey Suz, you have GOT to post pictures of your hair after your treatment. I just Googled it, am am very excited for you! I considered a straightening treatment years ago, but as I've gotten older, my hair isn't as curly so I don't really need it anymore. Please, post B&A pics!

I will. I hear that it even takes better the second time you have it done. I need to remember to have DH take a before pic tonight. Some days I have good hair days and think I don't need it and as soon as I think that I have the crappiest hair day! :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.