My eating observation

Since I read diet and exercise books when I'm on my elliptical, sounds as if this may be my next reading endeavor! I just read a great book called "Good Foods, Bad Foods" by Katherine Havola. Fascinating stuff. But hey - Kathryn and Debra - where'd you find those breads you talked about?

Lorrie

Lorrie...welcome to the Vegan world! I use my own homemade wheat bread for sandwiches. I have sliced smoked tofu, red onions and spinach along with Veganaise (sp) for a great sandwich. Like Kathryn did with tempeh, I I also made a No egg salad using Tofu. It was awesome!! My DH bought alot of tofu and said we had to have that on hand.

I am also currently reading The China Study. Great book.

Thanks for sharing...:)...Carole

>So about 6 weeks ago I started working out with this personal
>trainer who is also a registered dietician. She reviewed by
>food journal (I track on fitday.com) and said point blank that
>if I continued on that high of a protein percentage with those
>calories I'm on my way to irreversible kidney damage. She
>wanted me to up my carbs and reduce my fat and protein. ("ugh
>- I'm going to go backwards now!")
>

I really am so happy you found a diet that works for you! I'm just concerned that a registered dietician told you that if you continued on a diet of high protein that you on on the way to irreversible kidney damage. Even my registered dietician who is not a big advocate of extremely high protein diets ("there are healthier ways of eating") wouldn't ever say that.....she and the latest studies state they are really dangerous only if you have a "pre-existing" kidney problem. (Yes, they can be dehydrating if your fluid is not replaced, but that is true with any diet.) She is more in favor of a well-balanced diet including "all" the food groups (she is also not in favor of a stictly vegetarian diet either). I'm a firm believer in finding in what "works" for each of us and I am certainly going to try some of those wonderful ideas above.

Enjoy and stay healthy,
Robin:9

>(Yes, they can be dehydrating if your fluid is not replaced,
>but that is true with any diet.

Clarifying myself.....any diet that does not include water, fruit and vegetables or is really high in protein and causes diuresis;-) .

Robin

Lorrie, I'm so glad you've found a way of eating that works well for you. I have been a vegetarian for about 4 months now - I made the switch for health reasons, after reading Eat To Live. And now, I am making the switch to being vegan, after learning more about factory farming and the "high standards" the USDA has for meat and dairy products (I think someone else mentioned the allowable pus content of milk - EW!). I have never felt better in my life - I have never been leaner or had more energy. I always used to think I was carb sensitive too - but I am learning that carbs from plant sources are my friends. :D

I found this thread intresting.. and I admit.. I didn't read the entire thread... My question is about milk... I have kids who LOVE cereal... and odvously put milk in it...If I wanted to "replace" milk.. (after reading some of your posts sounds like a good idea).... I would replace it with soy milk correct?? I have cut WAY down on my milk consumption... I usto drink it constantly...and now... I only put it in my cereal, and use it for cooking (eggs etc.)and I admit... I don't miss it much.

Yes Emily, I hear you on those plant source carbs. But I guess the only way for us to learn is to read and study all we can and learn what works FOR US! I dreaded adding more carbs back in because I was sure it was those carbs making me hang on to weight. But this has been a nice learning experience for me. I think eating is no different from working out - you have to find what works for you, what you like, and then your body will love you for following through. I just love the learning process (tho I wish I would have learned more in my 20's)

Jillie - yes I've found that I really like the fat free soy milk. I haven't introduced it to my kids yet, but I did tell them that mommy is trying to eat foods that don't come from animals. That has piqued the interest of my 7-year old. I'm thinking that as she watches me, she'll ask for the soy milk one day and then the 4 and 2 year old will follow.

Lorrie

Regarding milk...Soy, almond, rice...It's personal preference...Personally, I'm going to stop drinking soy milk...We have SO many other soy products in our life, and I've heard some conflicting things about "processed" soy in your diet, that we're on the hunt for a different milk replacement...

MJ

Soy milk isn't part of the "processed soy" group. In fact, it's one of the heathier soy products because it usually has tons of B vitamins. If you are unsure about consuming processed soy stuff, cut out soy burgers and stuff like that. (Although there are some great non-meat, non-soy burgers like Amy's California burgers).
I posted an article a few weeks ago about the risks/benefits of soy products. I thought it was well researched and contained some good sources.

www.vegfamily.com/health/vegan-soy-information.htm

Carolyn

Lorrie and others
I really would like to be able to eat like you do. I know that it is the healthiest way to eat, I was a vegetarian all through high school and felt terrific. The problem is that I am addicted to cheese, I have this love affair with it. It is second only to chocolate on my list of favorite foods. I tried to eat vegetarian for a couple of weeks, but I missed the taste of meat so much, and I don't have the ethical conviction that I had when I was a teenager. How do you get over that "hump"? What helped you to kick it? Not to mention that I have a husband who is strictly meat and potatoes...

Missy

>Since I read diet and exercise books when I'm on my
>elliptical, sounds as if this may be my next reading endeavor!
> I just read a great book called "Good Foods, Bad Foods" by
>Katherine Havola. Fascinating stuff. But hey - Kathryn and
>Debra - where'd you find those breads you talked about?
>
>Lorrie

Lorrie, I buy the bread at a health food store. I'll give you the link to French Meadow: http://www.frenchmeadow.com/Default.htm You can locate a retailer in your area using the website.

Debra

This is such an interesting thread. I'm not completely there, but over a year ago I did Marilu Henner's program, where you cut out dairy and meats, sugar, refined carbs and I have never felt better. I still have a way to go, but I definately think this way of eating agrees with my body as well.

I drink (as does my daughter) enriched rice milk, and sometimes we do almond milk (which I LOVE, I warm it up, put a little cocoa powder in it and it is a nice treat on these cold days).

Also, if you have some time, there is a great audio file on the internet about soy products as well. It talks about the studies out there and which forms of soy are more healthy to ingest. Here is the link to the talk. It is called 'The Power of Soy'

http://www.shakword.com/preview.php?gid=6

Thanks for sharing this info with us Lorrie!

But hey - Kathryn and
>Debra - where'd you find those breads you talked about?
>
I get them at a small "health food" store in my town (a "mom and pop" business). They aren't usually carried in grocery stores (unless you're in a big city, perhaps). You can probably also order some online, or ask your local grocer if they can order them for you (talk to the manager or assistant manager. )

If I wanted
>to "replace" milk.. (after reading some of your posts sounds
>like a good idea).... I would replace it with soy milk
>correct??

You could replace it with soy milk (some brands taste better than others, though modern soy milks sure taste less "beany" than some of the first generation milks ---or maybe I've just gotten used to the taste?) "Silk" is very palatable even for people who are novices to soy milk.

You can also use rice milk (rice dream) or even almond milk. They also come in chocolate flavors, and most are enriched with calcium and vitamin D (often B12 as well) to better simulate regular milk.

Go with whatever your kids like the taste of (and be aware that some people have digestive issues with soy).

I tried to eat vegetarian for a couple of weeks, but I missed
>the taste of meat so much, and I don't have the ethical
>conviction that I had when I was a teenager. How do you get
>over that "hump"? What helped you to kick it? Not to mention
>that I have a husband who is strictly meat and potatoes...
>
>Missy

I didn't have any trouble not eating meat from the time I decided to go veggie. I went "cold turkey" (or "cold tofu"?) from omnivore to lacto-ovo vegetarian without turning back. My reasons were and are primarily ethical, and I just couldn't eat animals anymore after learning that it wasn't necessary for me to. I've strayed from time to time as a vegan, eating some dairy-containing foods or egg containing foods (though never knowingly crossing the line into actual animal flesh---I suspect some soup I had in Spain had undisclosed chicken broth in it, for example!).

As for cheese, you could make that your one compromise. Frankly, vegan cheese substitutes are pretty yuk, at least the ones I've tried. I personally just go without it instead of finding a substitute. You could try the "Uncheese cookbook,' which has what are supposed to be very authentic-tasting homemade substitutes for many types of cheeses. (I have the book, but I've never tried the recipes, because as I said, I just go cheeseless!).

What you miss in meat is most likely the flavor (from flavors added) and/or texture. Seitan is an excellent vegan substitute for a chewy texture like meat. And you can buy "burgers" and "hot dogs"(the later of which get most of their flavor from what you add to them anyway) made from soy that are sometimes too close tasting to "the real thing." I personally avoided any meat analogs ("fake meats") during the first few years of my vegetarianism, because I didn't want anything that reminded me too much of meat.

Read about factory farms. Watch "The Rave DIet" DVD ( www.ravediet.com )or "the compassionate cooks" DVD (from www.veganessentials.com ). Those can help you avoid meat!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.