My eating observation

Kathryn what is seitan? I have never heard about that before. And you are right about the cheese substitutes, they are NASTY!!! And I actually already buy and like soy burgers :9. I don't eat hot dogs, nor do my kids, because they are so processed but I would try a soy doggie!

I saw a video on factory farms this afternoon, and I can't take it. I think it is horrible how they are treated and I can't believe that any human being could be able to do anything like that. You would have to have no conscience to be able to treat any living being like that.

I would have to eat cheese that came from a cow that was treated like a queen, I am telling you. I am sure that I will have to pay a pretty penny for it, though. Having nursed myself, I can tell you that it actually feels good and is a relief to have your milk expressed, but being lined up and kept in bars and on my feet all day for milk pumping - that is so wrong and unforgivable, cow or person. And I am going to start buying the very expensive eggs now from free-range chickens. I cannot give my money to those slave drivers any more.

Thank you so much for your guidance and advice, I do really appreciate it! :)

Missy

Dear Lorrie,

It's interesting that you mentioned about protein/kidney connection. Recently, I noticed dark circles under my eye (several people + even the Chinese restaurant owner commented on them). I just thought it was old age. On Marilu Henner's Fit TV show she said dark circles could be connected to your kidney's, I follow a low carb diet. Now you have me thinking, but not sure how to go about pinpointing it on the diet.

Debbie

Lorrie,

I read Eat to Live a month ago and have been vegetarian and almost vegan ever since. I don't miss any of the products one bit. I haven't told anyone because I don't want them to overreact. Although my daughter has noticed but she's on board with the idea so that's good.

I haven't lost any weight, but I don't need to either. Ok maybe 4 pounds.

I'm not into cooking much but there are so many choices at the health food stores it's like candyland really. The salad bar at New Seasons...it's my favorite place in the world. The library is full of cookbooks if people are interested.

I do think much of the cancer/heart disease/allergies and other things people suffer from, are a direct result of what they eat.

I wish the whole world ate this way, we'd all feel better. But everyone has to decide for themself.

:) Bella

I would have to eat cheese that came from a cow that was
>treated like a queen, I am telling you. I am sure that I will
>have to pay a pretty penny for it, though. Having nursed
>myself, I can tell you that it actually feels good and is a
>relief to have your milk expressed, but being lined up and
>kept in bars and on my feet all day for milk pumping - that is
>so wrong and unforgivable, cow or person. And I am going to
>start buying the very expensive eggs now from free-range
>chickens. I cannot give my money to those slave drivers any
>more.

"Free range" and "organic" and all of those sound very nice, but the truth of it is, in order for a cow to have milk, she has to have a calf at least once every two years. And if that calf is male, he is of absolutely no use to a dairy farmer, so is usually sold as a veal calf (there's a saying that every glass of milk contains the blood of a veal calf). As for eggs, make sure you actually visit the farm where the chickens live. "Cage free" doesn't mean they aren't liviing in crowded conditions, or aren't debeaked, or have easy access to the outside (maybe one little door leading to a fenced-in "yard" for a hundred chickens.

And once milk- and egg-producing creatures have outlived their usefullness to humans, they are usually slaughtered and turned into food anyway. No gentle "retirement" for animals that humans exploit for profit.

The only way to make sure eggs are cruelty free is to own your own chickens.

Lorrie, I'm very happy for you.

I haven't had red meat or pork in 25 years, but I just can't imagine giving up fish. I have loved fish my whole life. Do you really think I would feel that much better if I gave it up? I'm truly curious here. I don't want to miss out on something wonderful. I eat an awful lot of veggies and fruit. My dinner most nights is a huge veggie salad with 3-4 ozs. of fish or chicken. Meat is never the center of a meal for me. Vegetables and beans are always front and center of every meal.

Long story short, would it make that much a difference for someone like me? I definitely do not want to miss out on feeling "FANTASTIC"!

Thanks!

-Nancy

Hi Nancy - I have always maintained on these boards that you have to find what works for you! I am living proof that there is not a one shot way to address weight loss and fitness - and we are all an educated group who knows that. But I always like to learn (it's that lawyer thing isn't it?) I'm simply saying that my experience is that I've never felt this way - it's a feeling of "lightness" (though not weight loss lightness) that I've not had before and I love it.

As I said I really studied this way of eating from more of a health perspective than an ethical one, and I really didn't have anything to lose in trying it. My philosophy on new ways of eating is that it's an experience that I can change if I don't like it. But I am truly surprised at how much I seem to like it. I'd suggest giving yourself 2 weeks if you want to try it. See what you think. Like you I really wasn't a meat eater, and I did do a fair amount of fish and poultry - and dairy.

But I do feel noticeably different. It's something that I think works for me, and I know it works for a lot of others who have so indicated. Do you have anything to lose in giving it a shot? You're not that far from it now. And if you get into it and don't see or feel a difference and really miss your fish - have at it. No harm no foul (fowl? - sorry)

Let me know what you decide.

Lorrie

That's very helpful, Lorrie. I thought maybe you had been a heavy meat eater. Now that I know your diet was like mine, I'm paying closer attention to the whole idea.

Let me ask you this: when you say you feel "fantastic", what do you mean exactly? Do you have a high energy level? Does it last all day long? Has the new way of eating affected your ability to exercise? Has it affected your mood?

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us!

-Nancy

Nancy, although I'm not Lorrie, if I may add my 2 cents... Within 2 days of switching to vegetarian and minimal dairy I felt better and had more energy. With regards to my workouts, I was able to do the Terminator IMAX Extreme workout (which I could NEVER get even past 45 mins. before) without stopping! It made cardio so much easier and it increased my energy level all day long. I agree, try for 2 weeks and see what you think. I lost 6 pounds in the first 10 days (without trying) after switching to veg and I haven't gained any of it back! :)

I'll second what Jen said Nancy. It's my energy level - but keep in mind that I added more carbs back in to my diet too (look at my initial post). But what I found fascinating about that energy level was how much more I could put into my Cathe workouts - and feel great DOMS (a feeling I like a lot)2 days later. Yesterday I was able to use 20, 25 and 30 pounders in the chest section of PUB: I could feel myself being more focused and putting more into it. I'm not saying that's all strictly from a plant based diet, but I definitely got increased energy and focus. I also did pick up "The China Study" and it's quite interesting so far. Maybe check it out at your library before making your decision.

Lorrie

>
>Let me ask you this: when you say you feel "fantastic", what
>do you mean exactly? Do you have a high energy level? Does
>it last all day long? Has the new way of eating affected your
>ability to exercise? Has it affected your mood?
>
>Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us!
>
>-Nancy
Nancy, I'll add my 2 cents also...:)...I was a fish, chicken and turkey eater before I went Vegetarian/Vegan after reading Eat to Live. I did need to loose some weight and along with P90X I lost 17 lbs in 6 weeks. I had and still do have more energy than ever. I was a bit weak running long distances but I adjusted my breakfasts and used a gel with protein and it seemed to help loads. As far as mood....well it was alot better. I love being Vegan now and trying new recipes. I have eaten things I never even heard of before. Kathryn has been a great help to me as she has in this post. My cooking Bible (so to speak) has been The Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson. Some awesome recipes...I have eaten this way for 18 months...:)...Carole

RE: Carole - Vegan Planet ?

>Carole, does the Vegan Planet give nutritional breakdowns for
>its recipes?
>
>Debra

No Debra it doesn't. But with 400 Vegan recipes I keep wondering if I will try them all!!! I think so far there might just be a couple I have not liked. Her tofu recipes are wonderful...:)...Carole

I have another nosey question. How do you vegans make sure to get enough calcium and magnesium? I eat an awful lot of dairy and I still need to take supplements to keep up with all the calcium and magnesium my body seems to need. (I can tell because I get leg cramps when my body is low). Is that a challenge for you?

I ask in part because my DIL is a vegan, and I sometimes find myself worrying a bit about her. At 26 years old, I wonder if she has any idea how much calcium a woman's body really needs. I would never say anything though (she's kind of defensive about the whole topic, poor kid).

Thanks for all the info!

-Nancy

Nancy, I can understand her defensiveness. I get alot of flack myself about being Vegan. I do take a calcium supplement but this is a list of foods vegans eat for calcium:

Soy or ricemilk, commercial, 8 ounces 150-500
calcium-fortified, plain
Collard greens, cooked 1 cup 357
Blackstrap molasses 2 Tbsp 342
Tofu, processed with calcium
sulfate* 4 ounces 200-330
Calcium-fortified orange juice 8 ounces 300
Commercial soy yogurt, plain 6 ounces 250
Turnip greens, cooked 1 cup 249
Tofu, processed with nigari* 4 ounces 80-230
Kale, cooked 1 cup 179
Okra, cooked 1 cup 176
Soybeans, cooked 1 cup 175
Sesame seeds 2 Tbsp 160
Bok choy, cooked 1 cup 158
Tempeh 1 cup 154
Mustard greens, cooked 1 cup 152
Figs, dried or fresh 5 medium 135
Tahini 2 Tbsp 128
Almonds 1/4 cup 97
Broccoli, cooked 1 cup 94
Almond butter 2 Tbsp 86
Soymilk, commercial, plain 8 ounces 80

...:)..Carole

Carole-

Yum! I love collard greens, kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, bok choy and broccoli. I never knew that bok choy had much calcium. My DIL does a good deal of cooking, so I have to assume that she is making these things for herself.

(Of course, I now realize that I could never be a vegan because I don't cook at all. I also emotionally can't tolerate a lot of fat in my diet. When I see all the nuts and tofu and hummus and tahini falafel and (wonderfully delicious) stuff that my brother (a vegetarian) eats, I just shudder with fear. I think it's left over from my anorexic days. I know it's wrong, but I was a fat teenager and it was awful. It's only been in the last few years that I was able to wean myself from fat-free dressing to low-fat dressing because my nutritionist said it was necessary. I've gotten a bit better over the years, but whenever I read a tofu package, I still start to hyperventilate).

Thanks for all the great info Carole!

-Nancy

But Nancy...Vegan fat is GOOD fat!!!..:)...but I do know how you feel. Since going Vegan though, I don't worry about much as far as nutrients. I know my eating is very good...and except for those damn Kettle Chips...Very good...:)..Carole

Carole, my 49-yr. old adult mind knows that there are lots of fats that are really good for me that I should be eating. However, my emotional inner 17-yr. old is having none of it. It's an internal tug-of-war. Not exactly of the Jekyll-Hyde variety, but a tug-of-war nonetheless. <Sigh>.

By the way, you look so fabulous, if anyone could inspire me to go over to the "light" side, it would be you. I really admire the depth of your knowledge too! Thanks for sharing some of it with me. :)

-Nancy

I can really understand how you feel...:)...thank you so much for your compliment. I am just beginning to learn the Vegan knowledge..I am happy to share with my coffee friend...:)...Carole

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.