Lurkers are very interesting people...

I have sooo much to say but sooo little time to spend here! It's hard to read-type-laugh-think all at the same time!?!:D
I agree with all of the above.

I mainly lurk and have posted some... not enough though.

My big thing is I will start to write a post then get writer's block. At times, I'm not sure exactly how I want to express what I'm trying to say. I also tend to obsess about what I write; how it sounds, is it conveying the right message, did I spell anything wrong, leave out words, etc. I'm bad about that which makes posting for me take too long! It's not that I don't want to. I run out of time!

I enjoy reading the posts and topics. Like others, I have gotten a great deal of good information. So "thank you" to the regular posters. Keep doing what you're doing!

At times, I'm not sure exactly how I want to express what I'm trying to say. I also tend to obsess about what I write; how it sounds, is it conveying the right message, did I spell anything wrong, leave out words, etc.

Me, too!! Sometimes I go back and re-read some reply I've made and think "huh, that probably seemed strange to some", but I'm sure no one here is lying awake at night obsessing about something I have posted :p

Lurker here.... :eek:

I'm just not a big poster - I'm more of a sponge, in that I just like to read and absorb. But I thought I'd de-lurk and say hi. :D

I've been around on the forums for a long time ... used to post a lot on Ya-Ya's and VF. Frequently, what I would reply has already been posted, so I don't feel the need to be repetitive. Other times, I don't have strong opinions one way or the other to add anything meaningful. If I spent more time posting, I would never get anything done at work or around the house!

Ellie, agree with you about defending your every word. These days I often decide not to respond or even start a topic because I just don't feel like getting into it with the holier-than-thou types. There's also an abundance of folks who seem more than convinced that they hold the last and true word on....everything. :)

Agree with this. Not that it's unique to this forum. Sometimes I think people blow up at others before being sure of what the poster actually meant. We aren't Pulitzer prize winning writers (at least I don't think we have any here) and our thoughts may not be expressed exactly the way we mean them. Including myself in this, of course. Other times there is a difference of opinion and the tendency to let it get out of hand with comments quickly written before deeper thought is engaged. And then there is of course the anonymity of the internet. Some of the things people "say" here would not be said to another if was face to face contact.

BTW I don't think I'm particularly fascinating, although my cats (and hopefully my DH!) would certainly disagree with that . :)

I agree with many of the reasons others have mentioned for not posting frequently (356 posts in 10 years!)....fear of causing an argument, feeling like I'm interrupting a close knit groups' fun, but mostly......
I"M AFRAID OF BEING THE THREAD KILLER!!!! :p
Becky

Ellie, agree with you about defending your every word. These days I often decide not to respond or even start a topic because I just don't feel like getting into it with the holier-than-thou types. There's also an abundance of folks who seem more than convinced that they hold the last and true word on....everything. :)

You took the words right out of my mouth!;)

I totally agree with this too, . . .in all honesty I've been on the forums for a long time but I disappeared for a good 10 months when someone ripped into me and called me all sorts of mean and nasty things. I couldn't believe how hurt I was. I felt like I was in high school all over again, . . .walking out of the bathroom with toilet tissue stuck to my shoe. Well, . . I missed checking up on what was new with Cathe, . . discovered she was coming out with something new (couldn't believe I almost missed out on it) and carefully lurked for a good few months before having the guts to come out and actually post something. I changed my user name and now just roll my eye balls at the mean and nasty things said. I love hearing opinons whether they agree with mine or not (as long as they are nicely said), I love hearing advice, . . .and when people review or introduce me to things I've never heard of. Mostly, . . there are a lot more nice people here than there are mean people and I really value the opinons of anyone who can truck it through a Cathe workout. I guess despite all our differences it is nice to know that we all think Cathe rocks a great workout!

I'm getting better at posting. I'm usually a lurker because I love reading the posts from all of you and seeing how arguments unfold, but the more time I spend reading, the more I end up posting something.

I must seem silly because coming to read the forums is actually one of the highlights of my day! Besides working out...that is the best highlight of any day...

posting

I rarely post unless it's something that is just a personal comment about something that no one can dispute. The know it alls, and strongly opinionated people have stopped me from commenting very often. I do find lots of the threads entertainiing and I have learned a few things over the years.

The people that post frequently seem to run in cycles and at different times I find different people active posters which changes the site. Then there are some of us who have been around for a while and surface every now and then. Recently it seems to have been a pretty quiet and respectful group:)

Tracy

I'm the same on these boards as I am in my life. I respond if a response is required. I'm not big into meaningless chatter. I think what that means is I prefer to listen than speak. Yep, I'm an intravert but I speak when there's something that I feel strongly about. I must feel strongly about this post, haha!

Tracy

Well, like someone else said - usually what I'm going to say has already been posted. I couldn't decide whether to post this since someone already said what I was going to say on this thread but I figured I'd get my post count up. :p

Some of the things people "say" here would not be said to another if was face to face contact.
*nods* There's a lot less self control in the forum atmosphere. Back when I spent time on a political forum (talk about defending your every word...sheesh!), the guys would crack me up with their physical threats. :rolleyes: Yeeeaaaah, we're online...and you boys are a freakin' ocean apart. Calm down, Rocky.

As you can tell from my post count, I have a big, fat mouth. :eek: I hope I haven't upset or offended anyone though. I make an effort to behave online the way I would behave off. Forums are the only place where I can have these kinds of discussions. No one else in my life wants to talk about fitness, diet, religion, politics, pop culture, relationships, etc. If it weren't for you guys, I'd be left with only swapping recipes (which I do dig, by the way) and listening to gossip. Blech.

I'm a lurker

I have to say that for the most part I am a lurker. I have a few replies or questions out there but do not post much.

I was told on a thread here and surprisingly one other site a while back that as a lurker I can't be trusted because "lurkers" are not known and therefore "suspicious".

I tried to explain that most times i read forums at work and cannot reply because . . . shhhh I am not supposed to be reading the forums at work :)

So I just stay hidden, read the threads, and move on

Tami :)

I totally agree with this too, . . .in all honesty I've been on the forums for a long time but I disappeared for a good 10 months when someone ripped into me and called me all sorts of mean and nasty things. I couldn't believe how hurt I was. I felt like I was in high school all over again, . . .walking out of the bathroom with toilet tissue stuck to my shoe. Well, . . I missed checking up on what was new with Cathe, . . discovered she was coming out with something new (couldn't believe I almost missed out on it) and carefully lurked for a good few months before having the guts to come out and actually post something. I changed my user name and now just roll my eye balls at the mean and nasty things said. I love hearing opinons whether they agree with mine or not (as long as they are nicely said), I love hearing advice, . . .and when people review or introduce me to things I've never heard of. Mostly, . . there are a lot more nice people here than there are mean people and I really value the opinons of anyone who can truck it through a Cathe workout. I guess despite all our differences it is nice to know that we all think Cathe rocks a great workout!

Wow! I can't believe anyone here would do that! Sheesh! I suppose people like that feel that they can get away with treating someone meanly (is that a word?) because they don't have to speak to them face-to-fact. Gives them courage to be somewhat anonymous.

Guess I'd better watch what I post! I read a lot and don't post because I either don't know anything about that particular topic or just don't have anything to say about it (no opinion). So, I guess I'm half lurker and half poster, but I've only been here for a few months so far!

I must say that I have "met" a few very nice people! I don't start too many threads unless I have a question about something that I'm sure someone at some other point has already asked! You guys are so patient! Mostly, I don't start threads because I'm not that clever or interesting and life is pretty same 'ol, same 'ol for me! Sometimes that's a good thing!

Anyway, I'm rambling, sorry! :eek:

Tricia

I'm usually really busy during the school year and just don't have time to post much, but I read almost every day and enjoy the forum. When something comes along that I feel I just have to respond to, I do, and if I feel a little less pressed for time, I"ll often respond to something that interests me.

If I happen to inadvertently get involved in something that blows up out of proportion, I just apologize for any misunderstandings and bow out. I would never want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I definitely don't have the time or inclination for that kind of silliness. I get enough of that with my fifth graders. Fortunately, that doesn't happen very often, and most of the discussions here are incredibly intelligent and productive.

I've been around a long time and feel comfortable posting, although I doubt many know me, even now. (Wow, I just realized I've been coming here for close to ten years! Gee, I'm old. :D)

This is a great place to learn and find motivation. I'm glad we're all different. Otherwise, who would we lurkers listen in on? Thanks educated crowd and interesting people in general.

Shari
(who is currently on summer vacation)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.