Low Carb Diets

pugsrule

Cathlete
Hello Everyone -

How do you all feel about low carb diets. I have doing one for a couple of days and find that when I work out in the morning, I have NO energy. Does this improve, or is low carb just not for people who work out?

Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thank you!

When my roomate went on a low-carb diet, i joined it with her to help keep her motivated. We went on the South Beach Diet (a healthy but STRICT adaptiaon of the atkins). She never works out and is slightly overweight, whereas I work out 6 days per week for at least an hour and have just wanted to lose the same stubborn 5 lbs I have wanted wanted to since I was 16.

We ate the exact same thing every day. My roomate LOVED the diet. She was very successful on it, and continues to follow a low carb eating plan. I on the other hand, thought i was going to die after day 2. I barely had enough energy to walk a flight of stairs, much less to workout. And I actually gained a couple of pounds on the diet. I accredit this to my metabolism crashing due to lack of food, because i only stuck with it for a week. I absolutely couldn't take any more.

So take my experience for what you will... I would not reccomend a low carb diet to active individuals.

Best of luck to you! And enjoy some good whole grain carbs!

Have to agree! As a diabetic, I follow a low-carb plan and it gives me a ton of energy, much more so than when I am carb heavy (although I have those days too!) However, my sister, who emphasizes clean eating and a well balanced diet tried going low-carb and basically could not function. If you are not feeling well, do your body a favor and go back to your original plan. Low-carb is not for everyone.

I tried one and thought I was going to faint by the end of the day. I barely had enough energy to get up from the couch, and though I'd pass out. There's no way I'd do that again. I'd rather eat good carbs (with a higher glycemic load) like fettuccine, popcorn, fruits, whole grain breads, than low or barely any carbs at all.

Rockstar's sister here -

She is correct; I try to eat clean (I have more of a problem with portion cotrol!) and the low-carb did not work for me (I tried South Beach). I don't know that I would necessarily say it was a lack of energy but it did not work. I stuck with it for about a day and a half and then threw in the towel. I was nauseous right away and that lasted for a few days (even after I "quit"). I think it was the huge decrease in the amount of fiber I was eating combined with a huge increase in the amount of fat.

I have friends that really enjoy it and see results right away. Not me though - I'll stick with my oatmeal and fruits - can't live without those!!

That happened to me too!

I tried it for a week and on day 2 my energy was gone! I could not exercise and was getting cold sweats. So I stopped.

I now just eat brown and limit my whites.

My conclusion was that because I am an intense exerciser, I took away too much from my brain and it could not function enough to process what I wanted my body to do, like Aquajock said in another post.

http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lol2.gif[/img]http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lol2.gif[/img]http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lol2.gif[/img]Blessings from our home to yours...Runathon http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lol2.gif[/img]http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lol2.gif[/img]http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lol2.gif[/img]

According to the Atkins' book, this feeling of low energy will pass, he even recommends not exercising the 1st day or 2 until your energy comes back, has to do with your body changing over from glucose burning to fat burning as you stop feeding the glucose with all the carbs. Once the change over is complete your energy level will return. I am getting ready to do the induction phase of the Atkins' to be supported of my dh who really needs to lose alot of weight (say over 100 pounds). This is the only "diet" that he has shown interest in and I want to support that. I will let you know how it goes. I have already just about eaten all the carbs in the house in preparation. We bought a big 25 pound turkey to cook and already cooked a 11 pound ham. We go grocery shopping tomorrow night to finish getting what we need to get started.

We will either start over the weekend or on Monday. I have had very few carbs so far today. Yesterday and the day before when I was trying to eat all the carbs, I was sooooo tired all day. Hopefully today I won't be.:)

Hope that helps some.

I don't have alot to lose so hopefully I can move through the phases quickly.:7

Thank you so much for all the great advice! I think this means I can have some carbs! I can't wait!!!

Hey, can anyone also explain what "clean eating" is all about. I keep hearing about it on this site! Hey, if that is what Cathe and her crew are doing, than I am certainly willing to give it a try!

Take Care Everybody!

I just wanted to jump in with my experience trying low-carb.....I felt terrible. I kept reading how the first two days are the worst and how my energy would return, blah, blah, blah....but it never happened for me. I tried low-carb for a week and I could barely get through my workouts. I follow a 40-40-20 plan now and it feels much more natural to me.

I personally don't think low carb is good - I tried Atkins for several weeks - I had no energy at all, was miserable, had bad stomach problems and lost very little weight - when I went back to normal eating, I put all the weight back and some more! Things like bread are such a staple food, I don't see why you should have to consider it the enemy! For me now, the best eating plan is: everything in moderation and/or little but often. Just my opinion for what it's worth :)

I've lost almost 30lbs on Atkins while putting on some muscle thanks to Cathe. I think that I still eat pretty healthy. I have several servings of vegetables and some fruit everyday. I eat high fiber/low carb bagels, low carb granola with flaxseed, high fiber/no sugar bread and occasionally oatmeal. For me, the diet mostly involves eliminating sugars and white flour and reducing other high carb foods. Atkins doenst have to be just bacon, eggs and steak. It can be part of a healthy lifestyle. I dont think that any one diet works for everyone but this one has been very successful for me.

Dawn

If you are in the beginning phase, you will probably be tired and have a little less energy for a week or two. But if you are consistent, it will pass. I did Atkins for over a year and did some heavy workouts without any problems.

Colleen

I had the same problem! I tried to do IMAX 2 after 5 days on the Atkins diet and had to stop after the 3rd interval, and I can finish the entire thing normally! I would not suggest the low carb diet to anyone! I'm still trying to find my best "diet". I'm now just trying to eat clean. Good luck!
Jen

Whatever happened to just eating everything in moderation? If you do that and workout intensely most people should be fine.
This low carb craze comes from the fact that it's well-publicized that when people overeat it's usually some type of carb, like sodas, donuts, etc. So that means ALL carbs must be bad, right? Soooo, we MUST go low carb to lose weight! What bullshit! And people buy into this lock stock and barrell. The fact is, every diet is about eating LESS total calories, whether it's carbs, fats, whatever. You can lose weight on any diet, Atkins included. But from what I have seen of people I know on Atkins and what they are eating, they'll be the thinnest people in the world with also the most clogged arteries in the world to match! And good luck keeping that up for the rest of your life and having enough energy to go the extra mile in whatever it is you do in your daily life as well as your exercise routines.
Trevor :)

You know I agree with you Trevor! I was on Atkins, and once I tried to eat carbs above that ridiculously low point I was at - and we're talking "good" carbs here, I gained weight. I don't even want to think about my arteries during those four months ...

Yes, I know people who have had success on it. I know more people who did NOT have success. Your body needs carbs!! And protein, and fat. I'm having the best success I've ever had thus far aiming for 45/30/25. My energy level is high, and I'm seeing muscle definition increase. My aerobic endurance is as good as it was when I was in my 20's and ran three miles a day. I'm even seeing my core tighten up, which is WAY cool - LOL!! I believe moderation is the key, and I believe a balanced diet of all three macronutrients is essential to proper health. The low carb craze is just that ... a craze. Just like the no fat craze, it will in time prove itself not to be the answer to everyone's hopes and prayers. Weight loss and staying fit take work. Hard work and committment. No matter what program you choose to follow. The problem is, very few people have the brass cohonies to follow through with that and make it a LIFE LONG committment. Those of us who do, reap the REAL rewards.

(Getting down off my soapbox now ... LOL!!)

Carol
:)

I have never gone low carb but I have added protein to my diet and that has been great. It's hardest for me to eat protein (or anything for that matter, first thing in the morning). Eating high carb for breakfast always made me ravenously hungry with in a few hours. Adding lean sources of protein at breakfast and lunch (it's never a problem at dinner when I feed my carnivores) and a couple of mini-meal snacks which are also a combination of carbs, fat and protein has worked well for me.

Some people do eally well on low-carb diets and have plenty of energy so you have to see what works for you. I like the looks of the South Beach diet but I can't imagine any circumstance under which I would reduce my carbs to less than 50% of my daily intake because I find carbs to be the perfect energy source for my workouts. Good luck and let us know what you do and how it works for you!
Bobbi "Chick's rule!" http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif

Clean Eating.

Just wanted to share a "clean eating for dummies" tip i picked up somewhere....

The easiest way to keep your house stocked with only "clean "food, is when grocery shopping, stay to the perimeter of the store. Don't go down any isles (except the frozen vegie isle). Unless your favorite grocery store is laid out differently, by staying to the outsided edge of the store you will hit bread(choose wisely), produce, meat, seafood, and dairy: all unprocessed and clean. (stay away from the bakery though!)

Happy eating!

leslie

Just had to jump in here... I low carb and I love it. It is the only way of eating that has finally broken my addiction to sugar and caffeine. I don't do Atkins(though I did for a while)...nor South Beach...I just do things my way. And I firmly believe that by eliminating the "whites" and going to "browns" has made me leaner and healthier. This past holiday season I overdid it and felt truly rotten for the first time in months....tired cranky and generally miserable. I try to stay away from all white flour, but I still eat plenty of whole grains and fiber...got to have that bowl of Kashi before I do Cathe! I finally lost the final 5 pounds I have been trying to lose for over 12 months. But I guess the bottom line is ya gotta do what works for you and use a method that sets you up for sucess...in other words a way of eating that you can live with for a lifetime, and low carbing is it for me. Take care, Donna

Pugsrule, a couple of days isn't long enough to understand the effects or consequences of a change in your eating program.

Have you thoroughly read the informational book or website for your low-carb eating program of choice? Answers to your questions should be there.

After an introductory period designed to initiate change in your metabolic chemistry (when some people do experience a decrease in energy), the low-carb lifestyle evolves towards a balanced and healthy eating program. It provides sufficient energy for all life activities, including working out.

ALL low-carb plans, including Atkins, emphasize whole foods like fresh vegetables, fresh meats and fish, non-processed cheese, many fruits (like berries, melon), nuts, and, in the maintenance phases, whole grains and dairy.

Furthermore, unlike a "diet" which is a temporary fix, low-carb eating can become a lifestyle that you can live with, ensuring that you'll be able to maintain your hard-won fitness goals.

Never say "diet" again, no matter what good nutritional approach you choose. Learn it well, follow it faithfully, and you'll be a winner for the long term.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.