Lifting like girls

Roz. Brilliant idea ICE and UP. Don't want to give up on the super-hardcore lifting, but will be curious to see what Cathe has in store (I'll do a month's on demand). Is Off The Floor worth getting?

Come on Karen, spill to beans about gsf2.

Peanut butter cups? They sound good. Why do I live in such a backwards country?????

Lisa? Tom? Good workouts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roz, I too regret my Michelle Dozois Body 360 purchases. Those workouts just don't sing to me. But of course I then went out and purchased the Peak Fit Challenge 10 DVD package because it was a deal of the day on totalfitness. Those are still in the box, but Karen said she liked them so I'll probably keep them. If I end up dissatisfied, I can just blame Karen. ;) You seem to be digging paper programs these days anyway, so you are wise to shun the DVD.

Tom, expect a large care package of holiday goodies from all of your commando sisters this season. We'll ship you the good stuff you could never justify purchasing for yourself because of your dental code of conduct. :) Did you have a good workout today or is it a rest day?

Justine, your country is not backwards. You just need a Trader Joe's (a niche U.S. food store). It's the answer to everything and the place to find all the yummy food you could ever want. You are weird with the math (no, you're really not) and I'm weird with the Trader Joe's. That company should pay me for my obsession.

Roz, Justine, I'm thinking of doing a pure ICE rotation when it comes out. We can compare our respective results from UP+ICE and just pure ICE.

Karen? How's it going?

Today I did Strong UB + Core Live. Roz, I swear I haven't done this one in like 3 months! I'm overcoming my addiction to it but I needed a fix today.

Lisa

Hi everybody!! Checking in late today. Busy work days. Started GSF2 last night. Goblet squat, reverse lunge, plank, and Romanian deadlift, all tested best for me. I very much like this concept. It will definitely take some time to acclimate. A nice change. Tonight will be HoCo 1. Can't wait, NOT! Nice job everybody. Keep the energy!!

Restocked my Cookie Butter supply, during lunch. Going to need to keep a jar at my desk!! Sooo good!

Roz. Brilliant idea ICE and UP. Don't want to give up on the super-hardcore lifting, but will be curious to see what Cathe has in store (I'll do a month's on demand). Is Off The Floor worth getting?

Peanut butter cups? They sound good. Why do I live in such a backwards country?????
Yeah, I actually like the idea of not-killer cardio with very heavy lifting. I feel like crazy intense HiiT interferes with my recovery from lifting (though quick finishers seem OK).

Just because your country's backwards, doesn't mean you have to be!
http://elanaspantry.com/nut-butter-cups/
Today I did Strong UB + Core Live. Roz, I swear I haven't done this one in like 3 months! I'm overcoming my addiction to it but I needed a fix today.
Lisa, that's like being 'addicted' to kale. It's a good thing. ;) 'Indulge' yourself!
I very much like this concept. It will definitely take some time to acclimate. A nice change.
Nice -- glad you're enjoying it so far, Karen!

Today was my last day of GSF1 Phase 1 -- squats. Sort of a mini-deload, early morning, DD woke mid-way, and just feeling like a mini-backoff is in order. Squats 6x10 120#, hip thrusts 4 sets 10-15 reps each, 120, 180, 180, 120, one-arm rows 45# 4x10, two supersets of suspension trainer pushups (Justine, ITA, these are GREAT) and DB b-boy extensions.
Then -- for fun -- I did a couple 'heavy singles' of chinups. Put DD in the carrier so that's BW + 28 lbs = ~170 lbs.

Justine, I haven't had a chance to go through much of OTF (it's a HUGE tome on deadlifting), but so far I'm very pleased with the purchase. It includes beginner, intermediate, and advanced 12- week deadlift-centric programs a la GSF, which I didn't realize upon purchase but which -- for me -- really increases its value.
OK, off to toddler land!
Happy Wednesday, all!
Roz

Roz, I'm really, really sure I don't want that recipe! I think I'm better off living in ignorance of nut butter cups. Too many of my favourite things in them.

I'm tempted by Off The Floor - I'd always fancied a dl programme. My list grows.

Karen, did you end up doing endless sets of goblet squats? I remember feeling like my hips had been dislocated the next day!

Lisa, I ended my Cathe live subscription, because I wasn't fitting them all in. I'm planning on resubscribing at some point, though. You'll have to let me know your favourites when I do.

Roz - weighted chin ups? You'll be telling us you did them one armed and weighted soon.

Lots of kb swings today (120 at 22kg) and DB push presses supersetted with jumping lunges. Very metabolic / lift weights faster type stuff. Then some mobility stuff (t rolls, shin boxes and glute bridges). Nice workout. Hoping it will help my strength.

I'm considering (note the lack of commitment) IFing again. I'd like to lean out in the run up to party season. I just can't get my head round fasting whilst trying to get stronger. Any thoughts?

Hey everyone. This morning was EFX 2. Tonight is GSF2. I wasn't sure I was doing it correctly. Now that I have a better understanding, tonight's workout will be more productive. I do like working the heavy weights. I start getting antsy, if I don't do some heavy lifting. Looking forward to tonight. I will return and report.
Sorry I led you astray on Michelle Dozois. I liked the dvds when I bought them, but have definitely moved on to other things. So not much recent use. I apologize. But, I have quite a few dvds that sit on the shelf unused. Maybe I will start a dvd borrow and lend service, with my co-workers, and family. I'm just wishing here. Tried to get a co-worker interested in "being active." It was great, as long as I was there leading her along, even gave her some dvds to try out. She brought the dvds back, stated she couldn't do it at home alone. That's why I love coming here and chatting with my COMMANDO SISTERS & BROTHER! You are always kicking some booty!
Justine, give HoCo a try. Start with "GET ROLLING," do it until it's easy, then move on to VOLUME 1 & 2. It will lean you out. Just in time for the party season. It will probably be easy for you, since, you're deadlifting fifty thousand pounds.
Weighted chin ups, Roz? Good job!! You're amazing! I'm lovin' the idea of not killer cardio, with heavy weights! Glad you are all feeling better. Lisa, thanks for the TJ's Peanut Butter Cup tip. I'm there already. I am so sorry for the Michelle Dozois faux pas. Will try to redeem myself.

Have a great day all! Hope you are doing well, Tom. Positive thoughts, coming your way!

Bummed out here...went to the mailbox, but NO care package!! You guys are "gettin after it" Justine 120 kb swings?? Roz, just had to 3# up me didn't ya!!! At least your load is CUTE!!! Karen, not sure what EFX2 and GSF2 are, but pretty sure they are "kick a$$" Lisa, that "code of conduct" does NOT apply to Halloween candy!! I drove 1500 miles the last 4 days and was "wiped" Last night was a lousy sleep night, so I punted today,and will probably do so tomorrow and catch up a little on sleep (but work tomorrow and Friday). Gonna crawl back into the hole Friday and Sat and do arms and shoulders.Ya'll keep me motivated (and humiliated) with your "iron exploits". Karen..thanks for the good thoughts!! KEEP IT UP SISTAS!!!

Ok, now I remember why I don't like hoco. I can't do it. Kudos to Karen.

Was feeling a little feeble this morning (my thutt was complaining about the kb swings), but I did Nia's bw workout, I even had to touch down between chin ups! Mind you, I think I'm gaining weight...

Then I decided to try 'get rolling', which is supposedly a beginner's hoco. Well, I couldn't stay on the blasted ball....

Tom, you take that rest. 1500 miles? That would take me on a round trip of Britain!! Hope you get everything sorted. More positive thoughts being sent.

Got my parents coming to stay tomorrow, but I'll still try to get a workout in (my dad thinks 100kg lift is a bit pathetic, so I'll be humbled).

Anyway.....
Remember remember the fifth of November, with gunpowder treason and plot.
We have our bonfire, Guy Fawkes, and fireworks all ready to be lit, and plenty of toffee apples ready! (One of my 5 a day?)

I'm getting familiar with GSF2. I have DOMS this morning. Different DOMS, than I have been getting. For the past three months the soreness has been deep inside, around my spine and midsection, quite a bit of core soreness. Getting all those little muscles. The DOMS I have this morning, are the DOMS I get when I lift heavy. They're familiar, and I like them. Looking forward to this new rotation! I will be doing HoCo, later today. So, I may get more core soreness.

Have a great workout everyone. Make it a great day!:D

Justine, the first time I did HoCo, I was definitely glad there was no camera in my workout room. It does get easier, if not easier, doable. Keep it up! I feel like I am starting over with chin ups. They do great things for my lats. But, not my favorite move.:rolleyes:

Roz, are you full into GSF1 Phase 2 now? I just get the cutest image in my brain when I think of you chin-upping with your DD on your back. She's the best workout accessory ever, for sure! BTW I don't think I adequately celebrated the fact that you recently did reverse lunges comfortably. Woot woot! That's terrific! Makes me so happy! :)

Justine, don't fight the PB cups. Roz finds the best recipes. Flax seeds balance out the decadence. That's what we call 'girl math.' I love holidays that have the word 'Treason' in them. And candied applies are absolutely nutritious, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Thutt DOMS are my favorite because that's my hardest area to firm. I admire you for even attempting HoCo. If it's hard for Karen, it will surely kill me. I have a pretty good list of Cathe Live faves, will be happy to share whenever you are ready.

Karen, girl I was 100% just joking about Michelle Dozois. You didn't push me into anything, it was an entirely self-induced error. I'm going to send the set back to Mary. NBD. New programs tend to intimidate me, which is one of the reasons I think I stick with Cathe and KCM-type stuff. It's the known evil. New kinds of DOMS are always good, right? Do you find that you're lifting even heavier now that you've gotten all the core gains from HoCo? Cookie Butter and dark choc PB cups are staples in my house. I introduced one of my friends to CB for her birthday yesterday. I'm not sure she'll ever forgive me for her new addiction.

Tom, you doing well? More happy thoughts!!! 1500 miles is ridiculous to drive, no wonder you are tired! I had a dental appt yesterday and thought of you. I normally talk to my dentist about his hunting and parenting stuff, but it would be fun to also talk workouts. You keep coming back here and we'll keep motivating you, bro!!!

Yesterday I did Steptastic Live. Today I did LBB. I'm not sure what I was thinking today, I just woke up and LBB sounded fun. I still find that one harder than CLB.

Happy Thursday to the Yanks, and jolly Fifth of November to the British lifting machine.

Lisa

Hi everyone!
Hope you're all having a wonderful week. Great work all around!
Geez, Tom, 1500 miles? I join the other ladies in sending you well wishes -- hope you're feeling good!
Roz, are you full into GSF1 Phase 2 now? I just get the cutest image in my brain when I think of you chin-upping with your DD on your back. She's the best workout accessory ever, for sure! BTW I don't think I adequately celebrated the fact that you recently did reverse lunges comfortably. Woot woot! That's terrific! Makes me so happy! :)
Lisa, I actually just finished my first w/o of Phase 2 a moment ago. So far, so good! The chinups were just an experiment, not GSF related ;)
Unfortunately, my foot was talking the day after those lunges so... boo... :( No lunges for me yet. (Am I really complaining?) No lasting pain from the incident, just a firm 'no' from my body.
Actually, I have a foot question. I did single leg Romanian deadlifts today and my orthopedic inserts felt so high off the ground that my balance felt off. Have you ever had this issue with balance moves?

Speaking of GSF1 Phase 2! Man. I tested deficit deadlifts, snatch grip deadlifts, and 18" rack pulls. Snatch grip deadlifts won. 5-8 rep range. I'd never done heavy snatch grip deadlifts. A couple sets in, my hands were falling off. I pulled up 'Off The Floor' and found the bit on snatch grip DLs thinking 'please, please say that these tax the grip!' Thankfully, my pride was saved, and they provide a considerable grip challenge (not just by my account). So SGDLs (can I call them that?) 7x5 195#. Hands gone. Barbell push presses 4x8 75# then 2x9 65# superset with DB curls 2x26# for 6x8. DB 1-leg RDLs 2x20# for 2x20 superset with pledge planks 2x30.
This is a rare evening strength session, but I might see if I want to make it the norm. It's nice, quiet, non-toddler time. However, I made the decision to workout after I'd eaten a bunch of dinner so... I'll have to plan a little better next time. :oops: Oh well, at least it wasn't HoCo. That wouldn't have ended well.

High fives (only figurative/virtual today, please, as I've got no palms left), good vibes, and best wishes all around!
Roz

Good morning warrior Princesses!! Today was shoulder day. Started with Military press this time,8 sets. 45x5 75x5 100x x6 x 4 x 3 90 x 6 x 4 75x 11. Then I did side laterals 27.5 x 8 x 8 x 8 x 8. Next was barbell front raise 50 x 8 x 8 x 8 followed by rear delt flys 37.5 x 10 x 10 x 8 and finished with 1 set of dumbbell shoulder press 45 x 7 and 1 set of barbell shrugs 160 x 20. Again trying for 20 sets / part. Justine, I had to laugh about your dad coming and and laughing at your deads. The first thing I thought of was how brave your DH was to ask you out the first time!!! Must of thought you were worth the risk!!lol Roz know what you mean about grip, my hands were fried on 1 set of shrugs. Lisa, would have loved the w/o conversation...better before anesthesia!! Karen, different DOMS are cool DOMS!! Thanks everyone for the good wishes! I am (wife actually) keeping a food log and really trying to push food. I was up 4# this morning!! I asked about appetite enhancers and mentioned one of the herbals. My DR. said it would increase appetite but I might start LACTATING!!!! WHAT!!! Since testing showed I was low on zinc she said a zinc supplement might help....think I will try ZINC!!! CANT GRASP ME LACTATING!!! Wanna stay a bro!! You ladies are "KILLIN IT" keep it up!

Oh yea Tom, please keep the lactating to the sisterhood of the COMMANDOS. Preferably, the younger sisters. Lactating at my age, would not be pretty.
I have orthotics in my workout shoes, however, I am lifting barefoot now. I have fitness flooring, that is sorta cushy. I have a hard time doing balance moves on this floor, so I move to my regular floor to do a balance move. My feet are the pits. I've had surgery on a few toes, they just don't work like they should, and lunges can be difficult.

Justine, your DH must be very brave, your Dad sounds like my dad. He would always mess with the guys I went out with. (cleaning his shotgun, on the kitchen table) I laugh about it now, it was NOT funny then.

Nice work, Tom. Always kicking it. Four lbs. is great, happy for you, I would be devastated.

Lisa, thanks for the heads up on dark choc PB cups. Definitely a must try.
Have any of you tried Zuzka Light? She has a few pretty good metabolic workouts. She is another one, that I expect to see a wardrobe malfunction. But her later metabolic "stuff" is pretty good. They are short workouts.

As always, good job, Roz. You don't need your palms anyway.

Will be doing workout three of GSF2 tonight. Have a great day, everyone.

I've been doing the dumbbell/bodyweight rotation and just finished week 2. On the days I do the sets, I also add in a Horizontal Conditioning (2o minute version) or a Mark Lauren. On the other days, I'll do Cathe. I've been doing her Ripped with HIIT series. I threw in a day of Ultimate Yoga just when I didn't feel like lifting. Does anyone have any other suggestions on tweaking the rotation? I love Body Beast as well. I also like the 21 day fix workouts - quick and sweaty :)

Roz, orthotics definitely affect the balance. Every tine I get a new pair it takes a few weeks to get my equilibrium on balance moves, but once my body figures it out it is no longer an issue. Boo to the continued foot issues! Yeah, heavy weights after a big dinner = no bueno. Definitely easier to workout when you aren't also on toddler duty, esp as they get more active!!! I've had a few near dumbbells-to-my-face incidents trying to do heavy chest presses or triceps work with my DD1 around! :) Nice workouts, hope phase 2 is fun for you.

Tom, if you do indeed start lactating I can give you some good recommendations for breast pumps. ;) LOL!!! Yay for the increase in poundage. Sounds like you've got an amazing DW to keep you in line. Are shoulders your fave body part to work? You really hit those hard, nice work!!!

Justine, Karen, I have a feeling my DH is going to be a lot like your dads. Tough on the boyfriends. Oh heaven help me when we get to that stage of life!

Justine, having DL competitions with your dad this weekend? Sounds like you've got good lifting genes.

Karen, you do indeed have lots of great hiking options. Gorgeous scenery!!! Hope you have fun with workout 3 tonight. I've looked into Zuzka but I've had the same wardrobe malfunction concerns. Are there any specific ones you would recommend? Also I am always ready to give more sweet treat ideas from TJs. I am, unfortunately, wayyyyyy too familiar with the chocolates, cookies, and frozen sweet treat selections.

Today was a hi/lo cardio from KCM called Cardio Quick Fix. Tomorrow will be weights, not sure if UB alone or TB.

Liz, your rotation sounds fun. Seems like you could work in some XTrain quite easily if that suits your fancy. Keep up the good work!

Lisa

Hey all, today was arm day for me and I decided to mix it up a little. I decided to do some pyramid sets on bis and tris, since I do this on chest and legs I thought I would give it a shot. I decided, instead of supersetting I would fry bis then tris. I started with bi's barbell curl 75 x 5 80 x 5 85 x 5 90 x 5 95 x 4 100 x 2 90 x 5 and for a burnout set did 75 x 13. Next I did conc curls 40 x 5 35 x 6 (was pretty fried)and finished with 21s ( by now I am down to 25s and its a struggle) x 7 set x 5 set series( should call these 15s!) For triceps I did the same thing starting with dumbbell tri extension 30s x 8 35s x 8 40s x 8 45s x 8 50s x 6 45s x 8 40s x 8 and finished with a burnout set 35s x 14, Next I did tricep pushdowns 70# x 7 x 6 and finished with 2 sets of dumbbell kickbacks 35s x 12 x 12. I finished the w/o with 3 sets of seated leg raises ( in and outs?) x 25 x 22 x 20. As an interesting side note, I was going to do hanging knee raises for abs, but couldn't hold myself up!!!!, Guess bi's were fried! I felt like I really did "damage" with this scheme and will do more often. I seems I usually leave the weight the same and do multi sets, but I like the pyramid idea to allow me to bump up my max! Karen, that scene is gorgeous!!! Why would you ever travel??! Lisa, I always disliked shoulders, but I need a lot of work on them so I am trying to make them better. As for the breast pump...I'm sticking to zinc!!! Roz, That foot seems to really be one of those nagging injuries that is tough to heal, hope it gets better soon! Justine..hope you are having a great time with the family,enjoy these time (even if dad is "showing off a little) us old guys have pride too!!! Lizc7, sounds like you are really diverse in your w/o's. Wish I could be that way, but fossils are fossils for a reason...we never change! Hope everyone has a great and safe weekend!

Hi everyone!

I've had a laugh reading through your posts. Lactation to deadlifts. We have it all covered!

Tom, I'm very impressed with your shoulder work. I often resort to just 4 kg for lateral raises. 6 is probably my limit. (Embarrassed confession). But, like the others I'm so pleased you've put on some weight.

Karen, you were right about what you said about checking in here, and other friends not understanding about our exercise addiction! I was feeling pretty low after my friend visited last weekend ( I think she somehow disapproves of my lifting), but you lot help me see sense again.

Roz, I totally agree about orthotics. I'm doing one leg squats to a box at the moment, in an attempt to one day manage a pistol. The best way for me is on a yoga mat over a hard floor with my yoga socks on. I'm like Karen, lifting in bare feet. In fact I only wear shoes now for cardio (so not very often [emoji57]).

Liz, hope you're enjoying your workouts. I love mark Lauren's stuff. I'm also doing (attempting) hoco. I'm actually just adding in a few of the moves before and after my main workout.

Anyway, yesterday I broke my mental block - I pulled over 100kg! Ok, so it was an 18" rack pull, but I figure I can stay at the same weight, and just lower the bar an inch each week, until it's a proper deadlift. So I did 102kg 9x6. It was supersetted with lateral ball slams. Great lat workout. Clever supersetting by dellanave. Perhaps I was nudged into it by my dad being here? (Tom, I'd love to think that my dh was scared of me when we started dating - but I was a weedy cardio junky then!)

Zuzka- makes me feel so inadequate! But great workouts.

Well done to all the commando family!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom, dang! Your biceps are never going to forgive you for what you put them through today! ;) I, too, find that the pyramid workout style allows me to push myself more. I think it's a mental thing, like "hey, I only have to do 4 reps at this heavy weight then I can lighten my load after that." Seems to make it 'easier' to push it. One more week or so till those grandkids get to visit?

Justine, glad for the 'good' peer pressure from your dad and sorry for the 'bad' peer pressure from your friend. I have a good number of family members who criticize my workout goals and routines as well. I'm to the point where I don't even want to talk about it with them anymore. I'm very fortunate that my DH is very fitness-minded, so we support each other to make up for the naysayers. Then there's also my commando sistas and bro who keep me going...:)

Karen, Roz, hope you are having lovely weekends.

Today I did Cardio + Weights Live from 5/29/14. I wasn't planning on cardio today but this one is a fun Live and the weights part is mostly UB, which I wanted. Tomorrow is rest and I will be back Monday. See you all then!

Lisa

Hi everyone!
Today was the second day of GSF1 Phase 2. I'm really enjoying it to far -- much more than GSF2 Phase 2. I think I mentioned to Lisa that I almost skipped the fourth week. It's great work, I just wished I had KBs and I just wasn't as pumped about the workouts as I was in Phases 1 and 3. But again, Justine and Karen, I know you have KBs so I think that will make Phase 2 way more enjoyable.
Anyways, today was chin-ups -- something like 5x5 then maybe 4-5 sets in the 3-4 range. Then 12x3 barbell cleans (from a 4" deficit) starting at 95# working up to several sets at 120#. Finally, a superset of BD bench press (I think 2x30# for x15, x12, x10 and 2X22# for x20) and hanging leg raises for 4X15. Felt great, I love the cleans. After phase 2 I'm going to have a new superhero identity! Latwoman!
I've been doing the dumbbell/bodyweight rotation and just finished week 2. On the days I do the sets, I also add in a Horizontal Conditioning (2o minute version) or a Mark Lauren. On the other days, I'll do Cathe. I've been doing her Ripped with HIIT series. I threw in a day of Ultimate Yoga just when I didn't feel like lifting. Does anyone have any other suggestions on tweaking the rotation? I love Body Beast as well. I also like the 21 day fix workouts - quick and sweaty :)
Liz, Jen Sinkler has some great metabolic conditioning workouts in Lift Weights Faster 1&2. I think she has some free sample LWF workouts on youtube. They're fun and effective.
Went hiking in the mountains this morning. Thought this was pretty!
BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for sharing, Karen! :) We got out for a walk today, it was lovely.
Roz, orthotics definitely affect the balance. Every tine I get a new pair it takes a few weeks to get my equilibrium on balance moves, but once my body figures it out it is no longer an issue. Boo to the continued foot issues! Yeah, heavy weights after a big dinner = no bueno. Definitely easier to workout when you aren't also on toddler duty, esp as they get more active!!! I've had a few near dumbbells-to-my-face incidents trying to do heavy chest presses or triceps work with my DD1 around! :) Nice workouts, hope phase 2 is fun for you.
Thanks to EVERYONE for your foot/orthotic thoughts. I can't go barefoot for everything, but I think I'll selectively take off my shoes for a few moves.
Lisa, I keep my DD in a chair/playpen/something while I'm lifting, but she can get bored after a little while and I'd rather not listen to her complain while I workout. She's really into doing planks with me, though... I'm sure you can imagine what that looks like! :D
Roz, That foot seems to really be one of those nagging injuries that is tough to heal, hope it gets better soon!
Thanks, Tom! It's annoying, but not incapacitating (except for contraindicating lunges -- and I'm not really whining about that). I hope so, too.
Anyway, yesterday I broke my mental block - I pulled over 100kg!
YEAH!!! THAT'S AWESOME, JUSTINE! Kick @$$.
Justine, glad for the 'good' peer pressure from your dad and sorry for the 'bad' peer pressure from your friend. I have a good number of family members who criticize my workout goals and routines as well. I'm to the point where I don't even want to talk about it with them anymore. I'm very fortunate that my DH is very fitness-minded, so we support each other to make up for the naysayers. Then there's also my commando sistas and bro who keep me going...:)
Oh, it's awful. I just ask myself, where are they coming from? What's going on with them that makes them say things/have these attitudes? Doesn't being strong feel AMAZING?
Happy wishes for a great weekend to all my strong friends,
Roz

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.