is coffee bad for you?

Hi there Amanda! As I have always heard and believed a little bit of anything will not hurt you. As a matter of fact, I heard drinking a little bit of coffee before a workout will give you a little more energy! I could be wrong, but I've done it for years and it helps me!

Just don't drink starbucks everyday! Then YES of course it's bad for you. enjoy a little every now again, it won't hurt ya!

Some people are definitely more sensitive to the caffeine in coffee than others and would do well to avoid it. It depends on how it makes you feel (if you can think past the caffeine boost and judge whether the effects are positive, negative or neutral). IMO, if you HAVE to have a cup of coffee to get going in the morning, what you need is more sleep or something, and not coffee, ;).

According to my acupuncturist/Chinese medicine doctor, one should avoid coffee, chocolate, alcohol and smoking when healing, because they all negatively affect the tissues in the intestines where a large number of immune system cells are created. (I was fine with all of that except for the chocolate, LOL!). The problem with the coffee (and the chocolate) wasn't the caffeine in this case, but some kind of acid (which I forget the name of).

Yes, coffee can give you energy, but it's not necessarily an energy that is good for the body. Then again, everyone has a different tolerance for it.

What happens with caffeine is that it mimics a cardiac enzyme and the caffeine attaches to the receptor which causes imbalances in the heart - that's where the palpitations and rapid HR come from. Some people are sensitive to it and some aren't. I drink 2 cups every morning black flavored only with natural cinnamon, but I've been drinking coffee since I could hold my own cup! And, yes, I do miss my coffee some mornings if we're up early for a trip or special event, so I wouldn't say I'm an addict! ;) I just enjoy my java! :D

I would say ten cups a day would be bad!

It might be but I don't care.;)

that is my philosophy on this subject LOL.

i love my morning coffee and things seem out of sort if i don't have it. i wouldn't say i am tired but i guess its routine. i only use skim milk in mine no cream or sugar.

kassia

Everything in moderation...

I think anything can be "bad for you" in large doses, but I think just like everything else in life, coffee is fine in moderation. I too have read studies on how coffee is harmful to drink, and how coffee is excellent to drink. But I've actually read more good about it than bad.
It just goes along with everything else. Carrots are good for you, but if you eat too many you turn orange. Lean Chicken breast is good too, but if that's all you eat, then you could get a build up of protein in your urine. You hear studies about how red wine is good and how drinking alcohol is bad, but I think all these things can be beneficial to the body so long as they are not overdone or overdosed on.
Coffee has many benefits such as antioxidants and can help you get a better workout when you are low on energy, and I think 1-2 cups a day is totally doable and beneficial. Just listen to your body and you'll know when too much is too much.

Recent studies indicate that coffee may be helpful in preventing Alzheimer's Disease. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p

I tried coffee once in college to cram for finals. It kept me awake, but also made me nauseous and of the wall jittery. Never drank it again.

I think every year they come out with a new study - one year it's good for you and the next a new study says exactly the opposite. In this day and age, alot of these studies are funded by companies looking to increase sales. Unless you have expertise in the field or know the people behind the research, it's hard to determine whose claims are really legit. I think there are far worse foods than coffee out there today...

cannot live without it

I only have one or two cups in the morning, but whoa, look out if I don't have it. My mantra in the morning is "Don't make demands until mommy has coffee in her hands." It works for me :D

Coffee is good for you if you are not drinking a gallon of it a day. Everything in moderation, right? It has antioxidants, some that are rare in otehr food and drinks and to me, it is a mood booster. The best part of waking up, is Folger's in your cup.

Kristin

I have never even tasted coffee. I just don't like hot drinks. I do know someone who drinks coffee all day and doesn't eat. Does coffee make you not hungry?

I don't drink coffee until I've had my workout.

I don't drink coffee after 6pm.

Those are my only rules as far as consumption goes.

Coffee bad? No way

Me without coffee is bad, and sad, and mad.

Seriously, I limit myself to 1 large mug with creamer a day. If I don't have it, oy the headaches that I get :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.