I'm surprised

Stephanie already mentioned that "effect" can be a verb:

You were right, it is "affect." Here's a great explanation from the Writers' Block Web site:
Affect and effect are two words that are commonly confused.
"Affect" is usually a verb meaning "to influence".
The drug did not affect the disease.
"Effect" is usually a noun meaning "result".
The drug has many adverse side effects.
"Effect" can also be used as a verb meaning "to bring about".
The present government effected many positive changes.

Stephanie already mentioned that "effect" can be a verb:

Is there a good example of when "effect" would be used as a verb though not the other form "effected"? Asking sincerely, after putting my pants on backwards, I am in no way claiming to be an intellectual today!

"If congress pulled their heads out of their butts, they might actually effect change." (meaning produce change)

"If congress pulled their heads out of their butts, they might actually affect the economy (meaning having an influence on the economy).

Er...that's how I think they can be used anyway. It's been a long time since my Advanced Grammar class in college.

I think you have it right there, it's just confusing as heck! ;) I think it was still right the way she originally used it though right? Since she was using the influence type definition. Am I the only one who pronounces it different to when it's used this way. I don't even think of it as the same word because I say Effect (with a long "E").

I would pronounce it that way, too, Liann. I do think 9 times out of 10 if it's a verb it's going to be 'affect'. I almost never feel the need to use the 'effect' verb.

I've only ever used "effect" as a verb when I say the phrase... ".... 'effect' change." And I always say it with a long e sound. I love Lainie's explanation of effect (verb) vs. affect. Bravo, lady! These grammar posts make me happy!

I need to dig out and dust off my old Strunk & White's Elements of Style. Love that book. One of my favorite quotes from this book that we had to memorize in journalism school: "Really, rather, very, little and pretty. These are the leaches that infest the pond of pros, sucking the life of words." Ahhh... poetry.

Other grammatical items that irritate me:

When people say "towards." It's "toward"... no "s."
Anxious vs eager (already mentioned)
that vs. which
subject/verb agreement
not ending adverbs with "ly" when they should be ended in "ly"
good vs. well
"due to the fact that".... hate that phrase... just say "because of"
"gone missing"... really hate that phrase

I'm MAKING myself stop now before someone cyber slaps me. :p

Oh Stephanie, you must come to PA and teach some of my friends how to speak! Big ones here are:

"Let it alone"
"I went home to leave the dogs out"

AUUUGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

"If congress pulled their heads out of their butts, they might actually effect change." (meaning produce change)

"If congress pulled their heads out of their butts, they might actually affect the economy (meaning having an influence on the economy).

lol. These are great examples. :D

Oh Stephanie, you must come to PA and teach some of my friends how to speak! Big ones here are:

"Let it alone"

AUUUGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Down here, "fixin to" and "ain't" are perfectly accepted (notice proper usage) verbs. *cringe* And if you heard my Steel Magnolias accent, you'd think me a walking oxymoron!

I still say "fixin' to" but only in a sort of jokey way when I'm talking in a down home way. (I'm originally from Texas.)

"Let it alone"

AUUUGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

heh heh heh. I grew up in PA, forgot about those.

Stephanie, "fixin' to" means "I'm just THINKING and PREPARING to do what I'm going to say next, not that I'm actually going to do it yet." At least that's my interpretation---kind of fits in with the more laid back southern style of not being in hurry to do anything. DH says the version he heard when he lived in the mid south is "fittin' to."

I still say "fixin' to" but only in a sort of jokey way when I'm talking in a down home way. (I'm originally from Texas.)

Lainie!! Where are you from in Texas? I am from West Texas but am currently living in L.A. I still say "fixin' to" and "y'all" all the time! On Monday, I got on a bus to go to a conference with a blond bus driver with big Texas hair. When I got on, I asked her "You're from Texas, aren't you?" She looked at me like I had two heads and said "Fort Worth...how did you know?!?"

I was born in Houston, grew up in North Texas (middle of nowhere between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls), also spent some time in South Texas (Kingsville), and was back in Houston after college (which was in Missouri). Needless to say, I get around.

Whereabouts in West Texas? My mother's father's people were from Sterling City out west.

I was born in Houston, grew up in North Texas (middle of nowhere between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls), also spent some time in South Texas (Kingsville), and was back in Houston after college (which was in Missouri). Needless to say, I get around.

Whereabouts in West Texas? My mother's father's people were from Sterling City out west.

I've been to Sterling City...and had a professor named Sterling (but his last name wasn't City). And my mom was born in Wichita Falls. I think we drove through your neck of the woods at Thanksgiving...when traffic on I-20 was backed up for hours. It was in the middle of nowhere. ;) I was born in Austin, packed it up and moved to Midland when I was a month old, and then moved to Lubbock in high school. And went to Texas Tech. But the last place I lived (and where I plan to move back to) was Fort Worth. LOVE it more than any place on earth. They still do a cattle drive through downtown everyday, don't they?

OK...so semi-Houston girl, can we talk Blue Bell ice cream?!?

Last edited:
OK...so semi-Houston girl, can we talk Blue Bell ice cream?!?

Oh lordy, don't remind me of Blue Bell! Wish I could get that up here. Most of my fam and the hubby's fam are in Houston so we do get back there occasionally and I can get Blue Bell and good Tex-Mex then. It's really hard to even find hot salsa in the stores here.

Oh lordy, don't remind me of Blue Bell! Wish I could get that up here. Most of my fam and the hubby's fam are in Houston so we do get back there occasionally and I can get Blue Bell and good Tex-Mex then. It's really hard to even find hot salsa in the stores here.

Ahhhhhhhhh...Tex-Mex. And queso! I'm going home in two weeks, thank God! :) So glad to know a fellow Texan! I have been HOMESICK!

:)Jonezie

PS...You CAN have Blue Bell shipped to you, by the way...if you don't mind paying $99 (literally) for two half gallons.

Okay, so when do you use that vs. which?

I think I get that one wrong frequently. But since English is not my native language I have an excuse :cool::p

And thanks Jonezie and Lainie, now I want icecream :mad::mad:

Speaking of southern phrases.....

I knew a gentleman once.....who used to say, "It don't make no nevermind." He said it jokingly but I know it was pulled from a general usage situation. I borrowed it for my own. :cool:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.