I'm surprised

"Who" and "whom" are both pronouns. But "Who" is used as the subject, while "whom" is the object. Think of how we use "he" or "she" vs. "him" or "her." "Who" fits in the "he" or "she" category. "Whom" fits in the "him" or "her" category.

"Who" stole the cookie from the cookie jar?

The cookie jar fell on "whom?"

Does this help? It's a hard one to explain. :confused:

ETA: Lainie and Liann both posted while I was trying to explain it. Lainie said it!! :)

I had a boss one time that would say that things ebbed(spelling and meaning?) and flowed. She meant that it gets crazy and back to normal over and over - I think.

Maybe our menstrual cycles have all synchronized into one giant PMS hurricane. :p:D:p:D:p

Now Steph's dun' gone and made me think about cookies...:)

I agree that there is always an ebb and flow. I'm guessing that things will settle down a bit soon.

Having said that, I think that SNM should consider asking a few of the more even-headed members of this forum to act as volunteer moderators. Many other websites do this. They could set guidelines for the mods to follow, they wouldn't have to spend any money, and it would hopefully help avoid some of the messier discussions we've had around here. Just a thought.

Having said that, I think that SNM should consider asking a few of the more even-headed members of this forum to act as volunteer moderators. Many other websites do this. They could set guidelines for the mods to follow, they wouldn't have to spend any money, and it would hopefully help avoid some of the messier discussions we've had around here. Just a thought.
That's an excellent idea, Jodi!!

ETA that I would like a discussion on proper use of the apostrophe. :D

Last edited:
Maybe our menstrual cycles have all synchronized into one giant PMS hurricane. :p:D:p:D:p

LMAO! And now I really want cookies! Could we please change the subject now (from cookies that is:p)?

Like if you live in Jersey aren't you glad the snow is finally gone and it's 60!

LMAO! And now I really want cookies! Could we please change the subject now (from cookies that is:p)?

Like if you live in Jersey aren't you glad the snow is finally gone and it's 60!

Linda - I am in Delaware but we still have a few piles of snow here and there that need to finish melting. I cannot wait until every last bit of it is gone!!!!

Not that I want to keep this thread going - or any others like this - but I'm wondering why there are no moderators on this forum? Has this been questioned to SNM? Maybe it should be. Maybe I should ask them directly about it.

Why can't someone who is on this forum alot be a moderator? What would it entail? Why don't they have someone on their support team be a moderator?

I just don't get it. Obviously there needs to be one.

And that is my 2 cents.... :p

Effect is not to bring about, it's something brought about. - I stand corrected on that! It can be used that way in special situations!

Affect is basically a verb, effect is a noun. You used it right in your sentence, but that isn't how it was used in the original post. She said "How it affects you". That was correct for that usage. See the cartoon explanation. ;)

aardvark.png

Last edited:
Being a part of a few different online groups over the last 10 yrs, I have to say it's all pretty "normal" for issues like that to happen.

It actually led to the demise of a very close knit group of moms that i was a part of. Which was very sad.

I hate to see that happen here.

It seems that Cathe has left the OD forum to "us". And I think it would be weird for HER or her staff to moderate it. But it's a good idea to maybe have a long time poster moderate.

As for the PMS comment, why do you think I am obsessed with cookies right now! :p Perhaps you are right about us all synching. Damn Aunt Flo!!! :confused: That would explain why Liann is the lone voice of calm and reason... :p

Not that I want to keep this thread going - or any others like this - but I'm wondering why there are no moderators on this forum? Has this been questioned to SNM? Maybe it should be. Maybe I should ask them directly about it.

Why can't someone who is on this forum alot be a moderator? What would it entail? Why don't they have someone on their support team be a moderator?

I just don't get it. Obviously there needs to be one.

And that is my 2 cents.... :p

While the sentiment is theoretically sound, putting it into practice in an open forum (non-subject specific) is really difficult. I've been on other forums that do this and it's not pretty when you get into areas of defining what is/isn't acceptable behavior...lots of accusations of censorship, favoritism, etc.

Forum moderating is a thankless job that I wouldn't touch with 10ft pole.

Ladies, keep the grammar cartoons coming!!! I'm taking the GMAT in a month and I know I won't forget the difference between "effect" and "affect" now.

And this is dumb but you know what? I never realized it was "ebb & flow," I always thought it was "even flow" (like the Pearl Jam song), but pronounced "evan flow." LOL!!!! BTW, I had 3 clients write "ebb & flow" in their emails to me today, how weird. There's stuff "flowing" all over the place!!

Effect is not to bring about, it's something brought about. Affect is basically a verb, effect is a noun. You used it right in your sentence, but that isn't how it was used in the original post. She said "How it affects you". That was correct for that usage. See the cartoon explanation. ;)

Actually one of the meanings of "effect" IS "to bring about"....it can in fact be used as a verb.

{running away from the grammar portion of the thread}

Actually one of the meanings of "effect" IS "to bring about"....it can in fact be used as a verb.

{running away from the grammar portion of the thread}

Lol, I saw that usage too, but it was still technically a noun in the example I saw. The site I looked at explained it this way:

Definition 2: The power to produce an outcome or achieve a result; influence:

"The drug had an immediate effect on the pain."
"The government's action had no effect on the trade imbalance."

It can get kind of confusing. Effect is still a "thing" though in these sentences. - Turns out there's ANOTHER way it can be used and you're right, it does mean to "Bring about". They didn't mention that on the English for dummies site I was looking at. ;)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.