I'm celebrating my one year 'fitness' anniversary!!!

dutchgirl

Cathlete
Two days ago was my one year fitness anniversary. The first day that I made a serious commitment not only to exercise, but to my health, my mental well being and to putting me first.

The first half of last year were some of the darkest days of my life. Everything had gone wrong and I felt like my life had fallen apart. I was seriously depressed and scared to face every day. I wanted to curl up in a ball and just not hurt anymore. Even with this horrible despair in my heart I knew that I didn't want to give up. I needed some help and a plan.

I made two important decisions. Decision one was therapy. Even though I am a therapist by profession, I am not immune to twisting my own internal thoughts and feelings to such an extent that I do not see the forest through the trees. I knew I needed an objective observer and voice to pull my out of my depressive haze. My therapist has been and continues to be a blessing in my life.

Decision two was pulling out an old Kathy Smith video on July 19, 2003 and making a solemn oath to myself that I was going to work out 5 days a week from there on out. Even if I could only muster 10 minutes, then 10 minutes it was. But the 5 days per week was non negoiable. And the first month quite frankly sucked. My body ached all the time and exercise was more of a chore than something fun to do. But I stuck it out.

So, a year later things are really different. First, I look forward to 'my time' which is the time I take out of each day to work out (I now try to do something every day with one day being very gentle like yoga or stretching). Exercise helps not only with my health (have lowered my body fat to under 20%, lowered my blood pressure, etc.) but with my emotional and psychological well being. I use exercise to de-stress, to feel confident, to feel empowered and strong. I have a great onlook on life now. There will always be dark days in my future. I know I have what it takes to make it through and come out even better on the 'other side'. And I'm genuinely happy. I feel wonderful, look wonderful and am wonderful, just as I am!

I've been a member of this site for over a year now. So many of you have offered support, encouragement, LOTS of humor, and genuine caring not just to me, but in every post that you write, to so many others. I feel a part of this community and I thank you all for making this such a wonderful place to just be.

That's my story!!!

RE: I'm celebrating my one year 'fitness' anniversary!!...

Congratulations Sabine!!!:) You DO have a great outlook on life and so well put. I couldn't agree with you more, I know that my physical stamina allows me to brace myself much more effectively when those inevitable dark days sneak into my life.

It gives me goosebumps to read your statement that "I'm genuinely happy. I feel wonderful, look wonderful and am wonderful, just as I am", it is, sadly, quite rare for women to feel this way and that statement is powerful, true and completely uplifting!! I am going to share this with my 3 daughters. Thanks for sharing your anniversary with us and again congrats on your commitment.:)

Take Care
Laurie

Sabine...congratulations on your past year! Circumstances will always change but we do have choices as to how we deal with it and who we turn to for advice. I am truly sorry you had to endure any "dark days", but I'm impressed at the choices you were able to make amid the darkness. Exercise and good nutrition really do change our outlook on life! God bless you in year #2 of fitness!

CinDee

Sabine - as one who also marks a yearly milestone, albeit in a different context, I say props to you. I find it interesting and gratifying that you mark a "fitness anniversary", and I find it very intriguing that you as a professional therapist have adopted fitness as a means for emotional as well as physical health. Would that all of your colleagues would go the same route!

Keep coming back. And never stop growing in your fitness quest. Never let ANYONE tell you how high you can go, because that will never be as high as YOU really can.

A-Jock

Congrats on your 1 year fitness anniversary. That is a great accomplishment. Keep up the good work!!

Have a great day!!

Beverly

Just another congrats to throw your way!! Maybe the next craze to hit the nation (after the annoying "low-carb" craze fades away) will be one of exercise and fitness--then the world will be a much happier and healthier place!! Let's all continue to spread the word!

Sabine,

You are very strong, and very wise, to be able to turn things around so well. I'm happy for you, and proud to know you, even if it's just through the forum.

You're certainly right about the support that this group has to offer. In some ways, the support we've gotten on this forum, through our exercising with Cathe, is just as important as the benefits from the exercise itself.

So, happy 1st anniversary, and many more!

That's wonderful Sabine! I'm actually will be doing the same in a month the 26th of Aug; is when I got serious and started WW and Cathe rotations...I had to take control of this body here as it's the only one I have. It helps when people look at me and then my 14 yr old daughter , they can't believe I'm close to 40 and that I have a 14 yr old. I swear good eating habits and exercise has shaved years off of my apperance.
A great incentive to keep on truckin' :7

What a wonderful anniversary to be celebrating Sabine! Keep up the good work!
Susan C.M.:D

Hi Sabine,

Wow! What a wonderful journey! You once said on a post that we both seem to be on the same wavelength since we do our check-ins at more or less the same time and we once had the same idea for a thread name. I'm amazed once again to find out that we both started our fitness journeys at more or less the same time. Mine was late May last year. I remember it very well because on the day I tried my first Cathe DVD (Cardio Hits), my son's daycare called to tell me he'd been in a freak accident that ended up with 6 stitches on his cheek. Well, my boy's scar is hardly visible now, and my body is something I am happy to be in for the first time in my life. So here's to many more anniversaries. Cheers! :)

Pinky

Congratulations, Sabine! The joy and enthusiasm you have for life comes through bright and clear in your post!

I love reading these inspirational, enlightening posts here at Cathe! It's always encouraging and uplifiting.

Thank you for sharing your story with us!

Take care,

Sabine:

You are fabulous. Loved your post! Congratulations to you and here's looking forward to your second anniversary,

Clare:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Congrats to you!!!!! and keep visiting our check-in post! I look forward to reading about everyone's progress.

Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. It is so motivating to here a story that is so uplifting. I needed to hear that today. I will think of your words "I am genuinely happy. I feel wonderful, look wonderful and am wonderful, just as I am" whenever I need the extra encourgement.
:)

Congratulations Sabine! Besides the commitment you made to/for yourself, that's a big milestone!

Here's to your continued health and fitness!
Jo

Hi Sabine,
I dropped in to say congrats. I do want you to know how you have been so encouraging to me over this past year.
-joy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.