How often do you weigh yourself?

ksg68

Cathlete
I'm on WW and just reached my goal weight:D as of this morning. Currently, I only weigh myself once a week because the scale is not my friend. If I'm down, then I say to myself, "Oh, girl, you're doing so good, you can have that piece of carrot cake." If I'm up, then it's, "oh, girl, you might as well just have that piece of carrot cake since you're up already." Do you know what I mean? I read that to maintain your current weight, you should weigh yourself daily. GULP! :eek: I'm so afraid, so very afraid to step daily on that thing. How do you all maintain?

I don't wigh myself everyday just every three or four days or so. Your weight fluctuates everyday. I used to weigh myself everyday and I fould it useless because it would bring me down. Some days when you are constipated or had a large dinner the night before, or retaining water thanks to your "AUNT FLO", the number of the scale goes up and it is not a true reflection of yor weight.

what I do when the number is up is tell myself it will be down the next time and i make sure to do my workouts and eat properly (I don't really "DIET"). When it is down, I congratulate myself and just stay the course. If I want chocolate, I'll eat two squares instead of the whole bar. Ice cream, I'll get a small instead of the extra large. Right now I have hit another plateau and instead of cutting back even more on food, I am just switching up my workouts. I am doing interval sprints in my runs and I have bumped up from Supersets to Muscle endurance. this has worked for me so far, hopefully it continues.

Good luck!

When I'm losing I weigh once a week, at the most. When I'm maintaining (like now) I weigh myself everyday. For me, the more I weigh myself, the more that number doesn't matter or make or break my day. I just see it as "feedback" and not something that determines my mood for the day. When it's up I know to watch it, when it's down I know what I am doing is working right for me. It gives me a sense of control to keep my weight down since I can catch myself early if I start to let my eating slip. But everyone is different!:)

First of all:

CONGRATULATIONS on hitting your goal! That is so big!! It feels so good to get there!!

I lost all my weight (90 lbs) following Weight Watchers too. I've been maintaining for 7 years now, and still follow it, either Core or Flex or now a combination of the 2 (kind of like the current program).

I have to admit to weighing myself daily, actually even twice daily. Once in the morning, once at night. The scale is there where I shower/get ready for bed, so I just step on it.

For ME, it gives me good feedback. For instance, the week after Easter, i couldn't straighten my eating out. I kept picking at candy and sweets all week, it was crazy! If I didn't step on the scale and see my weight going up, I would probably keep going. I saw the needle going up, and it was like a slap in the face, and it put me back on track.

Since I weigh myself so often, I know the trends and how food/meals/exercise effects it and I don't freak easily about a pound or 2 in either direction.

I think it's probably an individual thing for individual people.

Everyday, sometimes more than once:eek: I only count the Sunday morning weigh in. That's the weight I use to judge progress with. As long as that is dropping or holding steady, its good. If its consistently rising, its bad. I can swing as many as 5 lbs in a day, depending on what I'm eating or drinking that day. Normally I fluctuate 2-3lbs a day, but if I've been heavy on the sodium, it can be as much as 5. YUCK!

Nan

When I was actively trying to lose weight, I would weigh once a week.
I think more often than that is kind of obsessive, especially daily, and can lead to discouragement, because our weight can vary from day to day due to many things (fluid consumption, time of month, etc.), and I would just look at the general trend rather than get too affected by 1/2 pound changes one way or the other.

For maintenance, I think once or twice a month is enough.

Another lifetime WW member here. I weigh myself every day. I too have learned to recognize trends and don't worry about the normal ups and downs. However if it starts becoming ups only I know it's time to do something immediately. I'd be afraid to weigh myself only occasionally because I could honestly see gaining 10lbs in a week and it's much harder to lose 10lbs than 5 or 2.

Congratulations on your weight loss!!

When I was losing I would weigh myself once a week. I don't weigh myself anymore. I go by how I look and how my clothes feel. I hate the scale!!!

I'm afraid to weigh myself everyday for fear of it bringing me down with the "daily dippies." I realize that my weight fluctuates daily. I do like the one poster saying that even though she weighs daily, she only counts the Sunday.

How do you get over the daily dippies?

depends

I usually weigh myself once every two days, in the morning, after my workout before I eat breakfast, in the nude. :p I give myself the best opportunity to have the lowest number. :D

I had a phase where I didn't weigh myself at all for about 5 years, then I started STS and BFFM simultaneously and just wanted to know the numbers, so first I weighed in once a week, but when you build muscle and loose weight, the weight loss can seem very slow because you replace some of the fat with muscle weight. So I switched to once a month. What helps me with the scale numbers is that I cross check it with a body fat caliper. If I didn't do that, the scales would drive me crazy! For example, I ate clean and at fatloss calorie level all month and only lost one pound! But my body fat went down 2 % and I gained 1.5lbs of muscle. That was really encouraging! I'd encourage you to weigh and measure bodyfat, it has really given me some needed perspective...

Congrats on reaching your goal weight!

I am also doing weight watchers - and I totally hear you about the scale not being a friend. If I weigh in more than once a week - I do the same thing (regardless of if I'm up or down). Its better for me to just weigh in once a week!

Congratulations on reaching your goal :) :)
I measure myself about once or twice a year depending on what sort of year I am having :p but weigh myself? EEEEEK! Nope. I gave that up as a bad thing (ymmv ;) ) in my teenage years and I've never looked back. Occasionally I might get weighed by a Doctor and I ask them not to tell me.

I admit to weighing myself a lot-at least 3 days a week.

I know that the number on the scale isn't everything although I do not agree with some schools of thought who say it doesn't matter at all.

I also know weight tends to fluctuate a lot but stepping on that "beast" (LOL) several times a week helps to keep me in check. It's a source of motivation for me.

My mom has gotten on the scale daily for as long as I can remember...She's one of the lucky few though whose weight doesn't really fluctuate much at all and when it does it's no more then a pound in either direction.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.