How high do your dumbbells go? weight wise of course

lovebeingmom

Cathlete
I just started doing my 1rm's and i'm surprised at how high the weights are. I only have dumbbells that go to 20 lbs. but some of my rm's are coming out higher. I always do lifting classes at the gym and I never went higher than 20 lbs. actually with full body workouts i was using much less. the classes are much different than lifting slow and heavy

anyways..... do people own 25, 30, 35 plus dumbbells?

those get expensive

is their a better alternative or should i shell out the money on those?

Right now, I only have up to 50...probably get more for my birthday....in may.

I also have barbell handles so that I can make incriments I don't have.

I have full sets from 3-30lbs, and one lone 35lb. Anymore than that and they kill my hands. I use up to 35 for back one arm rows. Any legs exercises that use dumbbells that are higher than 25 lbs I normally just switch to a bar. That would be most of them. Holding DB higher than 25 lbs for any extended time hurts my hands. Lunges for example, my hands are good for the 1st side, but killing my the time I get to the 2nd side. My grip still hasn't caught up with the rest of me. Depending on which exercises you are needing the heavier wts for, you may want to go with a vest, its cheaper. It won't really work for upper, but it will work for lower.

Nan

I own pairs up to 30#, plus one 35#. I got the 30# set and one 35# while I was doing P90X, then later added the 35#.

I also have several sets of platemates that I can use to increase one weight by 7.5# or two weights by half that.

It is expensive to buy a lot all at once, but if you gradually increase in strength and weights used (as I did), then it's not so bad to pick up a pair or even a single weight at a time (the heavier weights are used for back, so 1 will suffice if you're doing 1-arm lat rows. Heavier work can be done with a barbell for back and chest and lower body, the three types of moves that use the heaviest weights).

I own pair from 1# to 25# 1 30# and 1 35# for leg workout if it is more the 50# I change to barbell that my DH and I bought is a Olympic bar that go up to 250# I want to get one more 30# and one 40# for wide stand leg, switching one hand to another hand like I think we use in Meso2.

I have 1 - 30 but I would like a pair of 35 and 40. I've been interested in the selecttechs for awhile to cut down on the number of dumbells I have to store.

Wow! I am inspired and super jealous of you all. My heaviest dumbbells are 20# and I use them for back and in the 3rd mesocycle for biceps . . . and I wonder why my muscles aren't changing much. Think I'll go pout for a bit. Then I'll go out and buy 25# and work harder.

I agree with Kathryn in that it's probably best to not buy all of the dumbbells at once; it gets way too overhwelming (and expensive)!

The highest weight I have is a set of 30's. I use wrist weights when I need to go heavier; I can increase the load incrementally up to 5 pounds for each arm. Also, my legs are really strong and some of my lower body exercises call for 50+ pounds. I got a weighted vest that goes up to 20 pounds so I just add whatever I load into that to the weight of my dumbell to cut down on cost. I can't justify shelling out $80 for a set of weights I'd use for a couple of exercises.

I have up to 25's, but am up to 30's...had to use 25's w/ 2#weighted gloves to give me 27 for STS 1 arm rows..and fly's. They are expensive but I would like to get 30's soon. I guess I'll have to buy them as I need them - I guess I'll eventually get up to 50's, well see. - autumn

I have 1s through 50s...

My dumbbell set starts with 1 pound (I got them for the kids), and goes up to 50 pounds each. DH uses those; I usually stop at 45 pounds.

I also have some odd increments: 6, 7.5, 12.5, and 17.5 lbs. (I find the jump from 15 to 20 pounds to be too much -- the 17.5s are great!)

Last edited:
I also start at 1 pound and end with two 50 pounders. I haven't been able to go past that, but who knows, I will always keep it open.

When it comes to barbells, that is entirely different. I've used so far 65 pounds. I'm looking forward to increasing my weight lifting abilities by much more than that. Adding a weighted vest, using a home exercising machine that spots you when doing leg work or chest presses, helps in perusing that goal.

I will be 59 in April, and think I'm in pretty good shape, and competitive with myself so, there is still room to grow.

If you are serious about wanting to lift heavier weight, then by all means, purchase a menagerie of weight and don't look back.

Janie

Last edited:
I have dumbells up to 10 pounds only, then just bit the bullet and got a set of Power Blocks. I got the newest version, that adjusts in 2.5lb. increments, from 15lbs. to 50 lbs. You can also make them either 5 lbs., 7.5 lbs. or 10lbs., but unfortunately no 12 lb. increment.
Anyway, for the cost and space saving factors, I love them!!!

Who knew we would be lifting so heavy?

I wanted adjustable Bowflex but they were full price when I was looking. I bought the Lifecore 5 to 55 lb. adjustable dumbbells and they were on sale at the time. Actually, my husband bought them for me as an anniversary gift :D

http://www.amazon.com/Lifecore-Core...s=exercise-and-fitness&qid=1265988626&sr=1-22

They are on a stand so no bending and lifting. With just a couple of clicks I am ready for the next set. They are bulky but then again, so are heavy single dumbbells. They don't take up much floor space. I can roll them off into a closet if I want to (but they are always out).

I started with a set that goes from 5 to 20 lbs and has 2.5 lb increments. I still use those when I need lighter weights.

Ditto that, Cab! I am still amazed by what STS/Cathe has coaxed me into doing :)

I've got individual dumbbells to 30 pounds, and a pair of the adjustable BowFlex up to 90. Love them! Also, weighted gloves, plate mates, and pace weights. I was lucky enough to find the adjustables with free shipping and over fifty percent off when I bought them last year as a Christmas splurge.

I have full sets from 3-30lbs, and one lone 35lb. Anymore than that and they kill my hands. I use up to 35 for back one arm rows. Any legs exercises that use dumbbells that are higher than 25 lbs I normally just switch to a bar. That would be most of them. Holding DB higher than 25 lbs for any extended time hurts my hands. Lunges for example, my hands are good for the 1st side, but killing my the time I get to the 2nd side. My grip still hasn't caught up with the rest of me. Depending on which exercises you are needing the heavier wts for, you may want to go with a vest, its cheaper. It won't really work for upper, but it will work for lower.
Nan
Ditto what Nan said :D Nan I use weight lifting hooks and they work pretty good at saving my hands.

I own from 1's to 60's. I have to have them all, however, as I have my own home gym as a personal trainer and my clients use them. The increments have come in handy, though, for STS - especially on leg day w/ squats and deadlifts! :D

My BB came with 2 DB handles Jazcam mentioned. IMO that is a quick cheap fix for those times when you need the heavier DB's like the back work and plie squats in STS.

For STS I did go buy some 25's when Sports Authority had their 20% off on weights sale (which they do at least a few times per year) and also purchased 2 sets of Pace Weights not only to help me add to my DB's but to help with smaller UB increment increases.

It does come in handy to have the higher weighted DB's for those times you don't want to switch your BB too. :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.