How far along on your 1RM's, everyone??

jloewe

Cathlete
Just curious as to how far along we all are on the 1RM tests..I'm at 39, and getting to the point where I am going to need the tutorial clip for the ones I haven't done, a few of the exercises are hard to find anywhere else...leave it Cathe to stump even google!!

Unfortunately, for me, I have not even begun! I just need to pych myself up for it...every time I think about it I feel totally overwhelmed. Maybe once the kids are both back in school i'll have more time & motivation.

How did you get started? Do you do a couple aday, after your regular workout, before?? I'm at a loss.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, for me, I have not even begun! I just need to pych myself up for it...every time I think about it I feel totally overwhelmed. Maybe once the kids are both back in school i'll have more time & motivation.

How did you get started? Do you do a couple aday, after your regular workout, before?? I'm at a loss.

Thanks.

I do a couple before my scheduled workout...I do the warm up from whatever workout I am doing that day, do my couple of tests, then my workout.

You'll be surprised how many tests you'll have done when you break them up as add ons to your work out, they really do add up!

A tutorial clip for some of the exercises would be great! I got through most of the exercises, with the exception of the ones I'm not sure about. I just did a few each day.

I think I'm going to just wing the first couple of months and not even bother with those calculations! I'll get a feel for the exercises and not waste all my time fretting. Besides, I'm finding I have way more energy throughout the day when I don't lift so heavy.

I have been under the assumption that it would be better to wait until closer to the time we will get STS because those calculations could change by then. I don't want to be working on getting stronger and calculate mine now, only to have STS arrive and not be lifting heavy enough because I have improved since the test. Not that I'm expecting huge differences, but even the slightest could make a difference according to my understanding, to truly get the most benefit out of STS. Now, though, I am wondering if I have misunderstood and need to get on with doing my tests???:confused:

I'm up to disk 10 on the 1rms. If I had realized the exercises repeat on different disks and the 1rm automatically filled them in, I'd have done that but now I have to go through each disk and fill in the ones I'm missing.

I did them as a workout by themselves. I never had such DOMS before!

I have been under the assumption that it would be better to wait until closer to the time we will get STS because those calculations could change by then. I don't want to be working on getting stronger and calculate mine now, only to have STS arrive and not be lifting heavy enough because I have improved since the test. Not that I'm expecting huge differences, but even the slightest could make a difference according to my understanding, to truly get the most benefit out of STS. Now, though, I am wondering if I have misunderstood and need to get on with doing my tests???:confused:

You know, I was just about to ask that very question. I've been saying that I need to start doing my 1RM tests so I did several today. But then I was thinking, I've been slacking off w/ exercise this summer so I'm not as strong as I was say in June and I plan on doing 4DS again to get some strength back. So, I'm thinking that I should wait until I'm almost ready to start STS to do the rest of my 1RM. But, the thought of having to do all those calculations overwhelms me.

I have been under the assumption that it would be better to wait until closer to the time we will get STS because those calculations could change by then.
I agree. It's too early to start now.

I may just do 1RM calculations for some basic moves (1-2 per body part) and wing the rest. I don't have the time or interest to do it for all 100+ exercises! (Wonder why someone couldn't have figured out a way to have us do this, and then extrapolate the weights that would be right for other exercises for the same muscle group?)

I agree. It's too early to start now.

I may just do 1RM calculations for some basic moves (1-2 per body part) and wing the rest. I don't have the time or interest to do it for all 100+ exercises! (Wonder why someone couldn't have figured out a way to have us do this, and then extrapolate the weights that would be right for other exercises for the same muscle group?)

Now that I have gotten over 40 done, I'm not going to drive myself crazy finding the ones I haven't gotten done yet..I always go heavier with my weights, so I don't think I would fall into the catagory of selecting too light a weight.

I just started to think about it yesterday....actually going to try to do alot on Saturday at the gym (taking my print out with me and plan to just get through as much as possible).....ah, such a relaxing labor day weekend.....similar to many of you, some of the exercises are a mystery to me based on title....

Geeze - I have totally procrastinated on the 1rms. Have not started and probably won't get a chance to for a while.:(:confused:

I made it through Disc 1, was so excited that I finally started, then just have not done too many more.

I agree with meowracer and kathryn -- I'm going to wait. First of all, I am in the middle of a rotation that I love. Second, I am a bit confused and overwhelmed.

I'm glad to see some others who are also waiting...

I haven't started yet. It seems so overwhelming and I'm just not sure how to incorporate it into my current lifting routine. I plan to wait until the release date is posted and then I'll set aside a couple weeks for testing right before the series is shipped :)

JJ

I think I'm going to just wing the first couple of months and not even bother with those calculations! I'll get a feel for the exercises and not waste all my time fretting. Besides, I'm finding I have way more energy throughout the day when I don't lift so heavy.

Wendy Marie, I'm glad I'm not the only one rolling with this theory! LOL! But when I think about all those tests--well, that's too much stress for me and would distract from the pleasure of the workout. And I use exercise to reduce my stress and reading about all the tests I need to do is stress for me! Ha ha.

I have gotten a pretty good start. But I need plate mates or pace weights to be more accurate. I really want to get this right. You know?;)

Ok I just tried to start this and it is so overwhelming!!! I just realized that I need to go out and buy more dumbells and another set of the barbell plates!! I got paceweights and thats not even enough! yikes this is getting expensive...but Im also wondering if when were doing STS are we REALLY going to be able to lift all this weight when were getting tired during the workout?? Just not really sure about buying more weights I have all the way up to 20lbs and I think I need heavier....ugh!, but then again this is suppose to be a challenge....any thoughts?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.