How far along on your 1RM's, everyone??

I have not started yet. I am going to wait until STS ships, that will give me something to do while I am anxiously waiting for the UPS man. I really don't want to do it now and then have to go through all the calculations again in a couple of months. I will probably also need more weights, which I have been buying slowly.

I have barely started the 1RMs. I add on a couple at the end of the workout for areas I didn't use in the workout. (So I'm jumping around a bit.) I'm planning to get a few extra weights too, but slowly as well. And I know I can guess on some exercises what will bring me to failure. Cathe and Chris have never said that this will be 100% accurate because weights aren't made in increments that will allow us to do that. I'd love to get a 22lb dummbell, they just don't make 'em!

We will not be lifting this high a weight in STS, we will be using a percentage of it throughout the program so I'm not planning a huge investment in more weights. I'm also the type that just loves to stay at my current plateau so doing the 1RMs now, for me anyway, is OK.

1 rep at a time, when I can. I'm trying not to stress over it. :) Tracy

It's too early to start, IMHO. We still have no idea when these will be shipping. I know my 1RM for those exercises will likely change in the next couple of months, so I'm just going to wait until we have a better idea of the ship date.

Carol
:)

I just started recently and don't think the measurement will be too far off unless STS takes a lot longer than I'm thinking. I know I was shocked at what my 1RM is on some of the moves. I'm stronger than I thought! :p

Shani

Wendy Marie, I'm glad I'm not the only one rolling with this theory! LOL! But when I think about all those tests--well, that's too much stress for me and would distract from the pleasure of the workout. And I use exercise to reduce my stress and reading about all the tests I need to do is stress for me! Ha ha.

As I'm testing the 1RM I realized that Meso 1 is month one and it's endurance, so you can just decide on which light weights to use( like 8# for DB curls).
Meso 2, month 2 you can use heavier weights and
Meso 3 month 3 you can use heaviest weights

It will not work as well as testing the 1rm but you can still do well with the STS

ok, i am really confused. how can you figure you 1rm until we get the system? and it sounds really difficult to me. i'm not very good in math and this sounds really mathy.:)
cathy

Unfortunately, for me, I have not even begun! I just need to pych myself up for it...every time I think about it I feel totally overwhelmed. Maybe once the kids are both back in school i'll have more time & motivation.

How did you get started? Do you do a couple aday, after your regular workout, before?? I'm at a loss.

Thanks.

Me, neither. I know I need to get Pace Weights and Versa Grips before I even go there. I often find I have to chose between lifting too light or too heavy because the poundage of my dumbbells isn't just right. For instance, I'll often lift 10 lbs. because 15 is too heavy but what I really need is 12.5 lbs. I just can't afford the new equipment and not having it is hurting my results. Also, I had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists last year and often find my wrists and forearms giving me trouble (on the chest press, for instance) when I'd otherwise be able to lift heavy. Until I get the necessary equipment it's pointless for me to even try to figure out my 1RM. And, like you, I feel kind of out of my depth and overwhelmed by all this right now. Still, I'm very anxious and excited about STS.

I also have not even begun. When I read about it I just get overwhelmed and am not really sure what or where to start. I also need platemates or pacemates or whatever as I can't make the jump from 12 to 15 to 20 I need some smaller increases inbetween those numbers. I am hoping that STS comes with some written info about doing this as I find that easier to follow. Anyway I figure that when I finally get STS I will figure it all out or just wing it the first time thru.

i haven' t started, in fact I just looked at the 1RM cauclator seriously & it confuses me. Looks overwhelming. I like Jerry's idea of doing a few a day.

Question, on the calf raises do you do those with no weight? I need to take it in small chunks. I ordered the bow-flex adjustable weights so I guess I'm waiting for them to come before I do the tests. Another 2 weeks.

Too Much to Think About!

I am going to just wing it also in the beginning of STS. It exhausts me to think of all this 1 Rep Max. A workout is work enough; never mind all this 1 Rep Max stuff.

I just want to pop the DVD in, do my weights, get a good workout without obsessing about 60, 80, 90% rep max. When I'm supposed to be at 80 or 90%, I will just push as hard as I can and take it from there.

It's making second guess if I will use STS, once it arrives? I do have P90X and use it quite frequently, and it appears STS is along the same line.

I haven't started either, for better or for worse. So many reasons: still recovering from elbow injury is #1, also I did not want to do 1RMs now and have them all change by the time STS arrives who knows when, slowness and unreliability of web site features for 1RM - the one time I tried to enter something for squats, the web site just gave me annoying grief, and I teach computer programming so I know my way around a computer. When it gets here, I'll deal with it, has become my philosophy!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.