Hardcore Fitness Maniacs for January 2019!!

Today I tried Kelly's TLC Boxing workout (not sure what the difference is between boxing and kickboxing - I guess the kicking part?) and I had an ok workout. This one is fun and moves quickly. I wore my 2# gloves for the first half, then my shoulders and upper back started to burn so I didn't think that was too good. Did the rest without the gloves. I really need to kick it up with my cardio, my HR just isn't getting up there and I'm rarely breathing hard. I need to get running again. Still having some issues with my right leg. It is so frustrating.

Workout was 35 minutes, burned 248 calories and HR was 133/180. I did 3548 steps which is pretty good.

I also did Kelly's RAW 6/60 Abs workout. I like this one, it's short but tough. These are the exercises in this workout (I'm sure Diane posted this once already):

Reverse Crunch - 1 minute
Floor Pushups - 10 reps
Leg Raises - 1 minute
Knee Pushups - 10 reps
Oblique Raise, Rt side - 1 minute
Dolphin Pushups - 10 reps
Oblique Raise, Lft side - 1 minute
Uneven Pushups, Rt side - 10 reps
Knee-Ins - 1 minute
Uneven Pushups, Lft side - 10 reps
Frankenstein Situps - 1 minute
Full Pushups - 10 reps

I burned an additonal 65 calories with this. Love this ab workout.

Doreen - Great job with your workouts!!

Belinda - Glad you aren't getting sick of LIFT yet. I was tired of Joel's yammering. He got really annoying to me.

Jolie - The workout you did yesterday looks really good. So it was more of a higher rep workout?

Diane - How frustrating about your meds. I'm going through something similar. I'm on Bystolic 10 mg for my blood pressure. Lately I have been falling asleep at a drop of a hat (even at work) and have had no energy, numbness in my fingers, low heart rate and headaches. Come to find out, these are all side-effect from Bystolic. So I cut my pills in half and am only taking 5 mg and I feel extremely good. I've been checking my blood pressure twice a day and I'm good, usually around 135/78. I can't believe a small little pill can do all that havoc on your body. I'm trying to just get off of them and will be seeing my holistic doctor in Feb. to see if I can. I do not trust any prescription drug. I wish you could find something else to take, that is scary that your liver and kidney could be compromised. Good luck with it. Nice job on your step workout yesterday.

Roselyn - Nice job on Cardio Slam!

Have a great weekend everyone, I will check in if I can. I will be doing two yoga workouts. I hope I have time!!

Today I did Ice Lower Body Blast Timesaver #1 Blizzard blast, 31 minutes, heart rate 118, max 149, met 8.0, 226 calories, 1,474 steps. I then did Coffey Fit Raw Ascending Pyramid Upper body putting lower and abs in the rests, I still had some rest periods. This was 65 minutes, met 6.0, 319 calories, heart rate 107 average, 140 max, 1,654 steps. Total time 96 minutes, 545 calories, 2,128 steps.
Chest 16,12,10,8 reps all pyramids
bench press 12,15,20,25# dbs
flys 10,12,15,20# dbs
Shoulders
upright row 10,12,15,20# dbs
lateral raise 8,10,12,15# dbs
Triceps
seated overhead triceps extension 12,15,20,25# db
skull crusher 10,12,15,dbs 30# db
Back
seated rows 15,20,25,30# dbs
1 arm row 15,20,25,30# db
Biceps
Biceps curls dbs also did 4 reps 1 arm concentration with 30#
pledges 10,12,15,20# dbs
Moves I added during rests
2 sets 25# dbs lunges right then left
2 sets 30# dbs squats 10 reps (these are 1 set during 1 rest through out workout)
2 sets lunges 20# dbs 12 and 12 reps
2 sets dead lifts with 20# dbs
2 sets reverse lunges alternating 15# dbs 12 reps
2 sets plie squats 1 25# db
2 sets standing leg lift behind body weight
2 sets standing hydrant move
2 sets weighted bridges with 15# dbs 12 reps each
2 sets oblique crunches
1 set sit throughs 8 reps (decided my wrists were getting tired and left it at one)
2 sets 10# sit up reach 12 and 10 reps

Debbie, my heart goes out to you on the meds. I have struggled with the one I am taking and only take 1 tab a day instead of the two prescribed because they left me weak and drained during the day. I didn't want to do much. I read up on the Arthritis foundation site on natural remedies to help and started taking cats Sevantino Cats Claw in the mornings instead of the prescription med and am doing much better. I really don't think they listen well and read my charts when I put down and tell them what I am doing. I read up on all the other meds they give for RA and they are dreadful. They lower the immune system so the body doesn't fight itself targeting the joints. There has to be a better way. Some tell you to avoid flu shots without a doctors recommendation and avoid areas where you will be exposed to viruses. There are lots of side effects. I have not been great at keeping up with the med, but it has helped with my extreme dry mouth where when I am sleeping my tongue will actually stick to the roof of my mouth. Terribly miserable when trying to sleep. That may be sjourns Not sure I am spelling that right. The doctor said if something hurts just come in and he will get me an injection. For that is not going to happen any time soon.

Roselyn, nice work with Cardio Slam.

I have to run. It ends up I missed the certified mail for our new car and have to hit the post office and bank. Not what I wanted to do. I had 5 hours of sleep last night.

Tomorrow my friend and I will workout together, she came over and left her dvd's so I can review them :) I probably will do PHA2 tomorrow. I am glad I reviewed PHA2, I am going to have to mute the music. The music was like meh :(

Here is Cathe's Lite PHA 2 breakdown:

Cathe does upper than a lower body exercise: These are the weights that Cathe been using for each exercise.

Warm up: 5 min

Round 1:
Side to Side Sumo Squats #15/12 reps - (side to side counts as one rep)
One Arm rows 15 lb DB/10 reps - palm back to the room, palm from of the room. Back/front row = 1 rep.
One Arm row - switch side
Forward Leaning Glute Lunge 10 lb DB/12 reps (on a 4 inch platform, work on one side. Lunging back reaching the DB to the floor. Basically a elevated back lunge on the step!
Forward Leaning Glute Lunge 10 lb DB/ 12 reps - switch side
Pullovers 12 lb DB's (2 DB's) - 12 reps back on the step with 3 risers.
Standing Squats 15 lb DB's / 12 reps
Pushups - down 2 up 2, 2 singles (15 total push ups if I counted right)
Rear Lunges of the step 10's/12 reps - on the step with 3 risers
Rear Lunges of the step - switch side
Close Crip Bench Press 15's- (5 sets of down 2 up 2, 2 singles count = 1 set)
Repeat all exercise:

Round 2:
Side Lunge 15# DB/12 reps - left side only
Side Lunge 15 DB/12 reps - switch to the other side
Biceps curls 12's DB's/12 reps - (2 to 2 count)
Elevated Push Dips 8 lb DB's/ 12 reps -right leg on the step/step forward lean forward.
Elevated Push Dips - switch to the other side
Side to Front Lateral Raises 5 lb DB's/ 12 reps ( side to front raise = 1 rep) Note: When she does the front raise, she keeps her arms low. Not like a regular front raise! never seen this one before!!
Static Lunge one 15# /12 reps- weight is in your right hand/left leg is forward.
Static Lunge other side
W curls 12 lb DB's/ 12 reps
Deadlifts 15's DB's/ 12 reps - down for 2 up for 2 count.
Lying Triceps Ext. 10's DB's/12 reps - down 2 up 2 count. Cathe elevates her legs.
Repeat all the exercises one more time.

Stretch

I will review all the other workouts, maybe I have time this weekend. BBL!

Last edited:
Today I was supposed to do a kickboxing workout but my right knee is sore so I did PHA instead. All of the kicks irritate my right knee so I like the boxing workouts more than the ones with a lot of kicks. I am really tired today, I think I need a rest day tomorrow. I did 4 days in a row of Cathe Live workouts and it is just too much for me, those are hard workouts! I think going forward that I will workout for 3 days and then take a rest day. Workout today was about an hour, I forgot to check and I burned 440 calories. I like this workout, I switched it up a little to do some variety of exercises. Total Body workouts are fun. 4 rounds of this circuit with abs at the end.

Squat Press- 10's x 20
Rear Delt Flies- 10's x 14
Side Lunges- 5's x 8 rounds of 2 on each side
3 Bicep Curls to a shoulder press to 2 triceps ext.- 10's x 8 rounds
Warrior Slide Back Lunges 5's x 12 each side
1 Altern. front raise to 2 double arm front raise to
1 Altern, lateral raise to 2 double arm lateral raise- 8's x 8 rounds ( these are killer )
Deadlifts- 40# BB x 12
Chest Press- 20's x 16
( 2 rounds )

KB swings- 15# x 24
Upright Rows- 12's x 14
Side Lunges alternating- 5's x 20
Bicep curls to shoulder press to triceps ext.- 10's x 8 rounds
Leg Ext.- 50# x 12
Front raise to lateral raise (same as before) 8's x 8 rounds
Deadlifts- 40# BB x 12
Chest Press- 20's x 16
( 2 rounds )
ABS

I am running late today, I will be back later to read all of your posts. We are really kicking butt lately with out workouts, I am so proud of all of us! Tomorrow will most likely be a rest day.

Happy Friday.

Reactions: WD
I am back from running errands. I made a different soup than planned last night . It was a Chicken avocado soup from Whole 30 slow cooker cookbook. I was going to do the one my granddaughter had gave me and did not have quite all of the stuff, along with that it had corn and black beans in it. At times I am okay with that, but trying to keep those types of carbs down. The soup I made was really spicy. I didn't have a jalapeno, so used a can of green chilis and it gave the option of Chipotle powder or chili powder. I chose the chipotle powder since I live the smokey taste. I used the Instant Pot , even though it is not an instant pot recipe. I quick released and removed the chicken to shred, like they do in a lot of the instant Pot recipes. Then you put a lot of diced avocado in it. The recipe calls for 3 avocados and is 4 servings. I used a quarter of an avocado :) I love this soup.

Debbie, I have found that a lot of supplements that I use like Cats Claw and ashwagandha lower blood pressure. Holy Basil does as well. I react to medications with smaller doses than they usually give me. I almost always begin with half of a dose unless it is an antibiotic or something like that. It seems almost everything that I take thins the blood and should be stopped if having surgery. Good that you are feeling a lot better after lowering the dose. I don't take antihistamines and things like that, because they I can't keep my eyes open once I do. Even in smaller doses. I don't like how they make me feel.
I think boxing workouts usually are more boxing than kicking focus generally. Kelly does have some kicking during the boxing. I think for some of those moves 2# would be strenuous for the shoulders. I don't burn as many calories doing boxing as my legs are not moving as much. I thought your calorie burn and heart rate looked pretty good.

Belinda, thanks for posting the moves on the PHA workout. I like that I do not see cross back lunges. That is great that you get to check the workouts out.

Jolie, nice workout today. Great that you are listening to your body and taking a rest day tomorrow. I hope your knee feels better.

Diane Sue - no problem! I will review all the others and post the breakdown her. The workout looks good, I didn't like the music. I will have to play my own music to get me into the mood. Maybe I will try to do PHA2 tomorrow? We shall see :) I bought a lot of Cathe dvd's for my DD and myself for all those years I been working out with Cathe. DD isn't using her dvd's, she doesn't even have a dvd player anymore. All those dvd's were sitting around for years. I tried to sell some, but everybody just want's everything for free. It was such a hassle, I decided to donate all of them. Well, one day I invited my friend to workout with me. She got hooked. I decided to gift her all my daughters Cathe dvd's. I also gave her a bunch of other dvd's/ instructor I can't use anymore due to the high impact. I am really glad she likes them and uses them all. I rather have her use them than all those dvd's collecting dust. I have all my Cathe dvd's, which I plan to keep. For now anyway.

Jolie - I am so jealous! We have the heater and pellet stove running. It's so cold outside. It started to snow again. Fantastic job on your weight workout. I can't wait to sign up for Cathe On Demand once my other subscriptions run out.

Debbie - I still love L4. There are enough variety to keep my interest. Plus, the workouts are short. I mute Joel ,I jam to my music. I am going to have to do the same with Cathe's Lite workout tomorrow. Sorry you have to go through this with your meds. I am so glad I got off the antibiotic. I feel so much better too.

Diane Sue - I am going to have to look up the soup recipe. Looks so yummy. Amazing job on your workout today.

Waving Hi to rest of the gang. Good night.

Lite Calorie Crush:

I probably lost count on some, lol. Cathe moves directions a lot in this one. You have a fire walker band around your ankles the entire time. Lots of jumping! All the moves you seen in Cathe's other workouts.

Jump rope 12
Jacks/Scissors - 8 (2 to the left, 2 to around, 2 to the right side) 8 scissors, do a few more rounds
Jump rope 12
Ice Breakers 8
Jump rope 16
Ice Breakers 8
Jump rope 16
Ice Breakers 8
Jump rope 8
Twist & Travel Combo - 20 in place, start traveling twisting to the side 4, 4 jumping jacks, 8 traveling twist to the right, 4 jumping jacks
Touchtown Jacks - 16 with a hop in the middle
Heel toe Combo - double/1 single - way to many to count! she also travels back and front
Snowboard -8
Jump rope -
Squats to take a break
Snowboard - 8 left/right = 1 rep
Squats - 4
Air Squats - 8
Jump rope - more like jumping up/down
Reach & Taps - (4 on 1 side/4 on the other side) 2 sets, than 16 singles
Traveling Scissors - with half time 4 ( in place), travel 4 repeat a few more time
Jacks/Air Jacks - 4 jacks/4 air jacks = 1 set total of 4 sets if I counted right, lol.
Shuffle - side to side 8
Side to side -
Low Impact Firewalker - side to side 2 count, move up ( 2 to the right, 2 over, 2 single back,
Marching in place for a few seconds
Cooldown

Belinda, I am trying to imagine snow boarding with a band around my ankles. Seems a bit uncomfortable. It is nice that you are sharing the dvds. I lose count sometimes when I am doing the workouts and it ends up being a guess. Sometimes I just write down "lots of reps" LOL

Good Morning,

I will report my workout laterright now I have a question I am losing inches but I am now up to heart attack % on my bodyfat which keeps steadily going up 1%a week from 32-35% how dan I fix this do I need a o stop doing so much lifting and go back to more cardio?

Good afternoon,

I did my workout this morning, just getting around to post. Really like this one. Cathe packs a lot in a short amount of time. Didn't like the music. I also walked 2 miles before my friend came over.

Lite Strong Upper Body Stacked Sets
Warm Up;

Round 1: Triceps/Chest
Dips - 32 reps
Tricep Pushups - 12 reps/2/2 count ( she does the pushups off the edge of the step)
Rotating Kickbacks - 8's/12 reps
Close Grip Bench / Flat Bench / Combo - 10's
Chest Flys - 10's /8 reps (1.5 count) down half way, up, than come all the way up)
Plyo Pushups - 12 reps - kneeling behind the step, push off the step
Repeat on more time!

Round 2: Shoulders
Dumbbell Front Squeeze and Press ' 5's/ 12 reps
Overhead Press - 10's/ 8 reps - 1.5 counts
Lateral Raise - 5's/ 8 reps - 1.5 count
Lateral "U" Raise - 5's/8 reps - form the letter "U" with a pause on the top
Hip Huggers - 12's/16 reps - weights on the side of your hips/pull the weights up like you would pull your pants up!
Repeat

Round 3: Back/Bicpes
Pullovers - 12's DB's/ 8 reps - 1.5 count
Double Arm Row - 15's/16 reps
Hip Hinge with Back Fly - do a 3 flies than hip hinge = 1 rep/ 4 total
Bicep Curls - 12's/8 reps - 2/2 count
8 Point Drop Curls - 10's DB's/ 2 sets - see not below
Hammer Curls - 12's DB's/ 8 reps - 2/2 count
Reverse Curls - 8's DB's/ 8 reps
Repeat

NOTE:
- 8 Point Drop Curls - start at the top, than lower the curl until to a count of 8. Start at the top, lower the weight a little, come up, lower to count 2...4 should be in the middle, 8 on the bottom. Than come up 4 count slow.

- Close Crip Bench/combo = close crip press 8 reps/ chest press 8 reps/ 1 close crip/1 bench press = 1 reps/ total of 8 reps)

That's it for me today. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Last edited:
I just got done doing the 2nd workout in the Beach Body Yoga Chill series. I did Relax and Restore. I really liked it but wow, it was hard for me. It hurts like hell to do some of the poses but once the workout is finished my body feels really good. I sure hope I get used to yoga again, I can't believe what a hard time I'm having with it. I enjoyed this a lot, though, these are fabulous short workouts. It has about 5 minutes of meditation at the end, I just can't get into that. I relaxed a bit, tried to do what he was saying and then gave up. I need to maybe get a bit more mindful but I can't seem to quiet my mind. It makes me not want to cancel my BB subscription. I'm thinking as long as I continue to do these workouts (and the others that are on BB) I may end up renewing it again.

Roxie - Losing inches and gaining body fat makes no sense. How are you determining your body fat? Are you losing weight? If not, when you measure yourself, are you measuring in the exact area that you did when you first started measuring yourself? I think you said you used an Omron to weigh yourself and that gives you a body fat percentage, correct? Maybe the Omron is incorrect. It is only an electronic device and doesn't know your body at all. Do you feel like your body fat is going up? Or do you feel more comfortable in your clothes? If your clothes are getting loose, you must be losing inches, hence losing body fat.

Belinda - Nice workout! that one looks fun!

Diane - I found out how to add yoga to my Fitbit. I had seven that FB defaulted and I found that you can remove the ones you don't use and then add others. So now I have yoga and walk. So I'm happy!!!

Last edited:
Debbie - BBOD has great yoga/workouts. I am still working my way through them. If you like it keep it. I you are not sure, skip a few month and sign up again. I need to look up that yoga :) Great job!

Debbie-I can see a difference in my body when I look in the mirror but I feel fatter in my stomach. I am using a Fitbit scale my weight is going up and down too

This morning I did Cathe's Rock Out Knockout timesaver #1. I originally planned on doing the whole workout with the heavy bag bonus, but plans changed after I started. This was the cardio segment and the glove segment with warm up and stretch, 39 minutes, 302 calories, met 8.5, heart rate average 121, max 158, 3,231 steps. I also ended up skipping the planned stretch. I may do it tomorrow since it is my day off. My daughter called and wanted to go to lunch. My husband met us there on his way back into town. We ate at a restaurant off of the lake where you can look out at the lake.

Belinda, thanks for the rundowns on the workouts. I checked over the first PHA on Strong and Sweaty and the PHA 2 does not have step ups, side steps off of the step, cross back lunges, and overhead presses from what I see. I think PHA 2 looks a little more joint friendly. At least for me :) Some of the moves on Stacked Sets sound different. It looks like a good workout.

Roxie, I don't think that Fit Bit Scales are all that accurate. I read lots of reviews thinking about getting one. These devices are best as just a guideline as to whether you are losing or gaining body fat. Better to go by how your clothes fit and visual of definition or pudge. I need to get a new scale, but do not stand on mine often anyway. Mine does body fat and muscle etc.. but it can change in a minute just stepping off and on. I think that it would be good if you could check you body fat with something else if that is what your worry is. Also, sometimes just holding water or a larger meal can make the abdominal area seem fatter.

Debbie, I am not good at the meditations. I feel like I am lying on the floor wasting my time. Sometimes I add a few more stretches for upper body while they are meditating and then I quit. A short meditation is okay, like 2 minutes, but beyond that it is a no for me. I would rather relax with a book or something. There are some poses that I know I will never get into. My body mechanics just will not allow it. But, I am glad I have the flexibility that I have. That is great that you are liking those Beach Body yoga workouts. My Omron is a hand held and you have to put your info in it as a user. I only use it in the morning before eating, drinking, or exercising, so it is done without things that can alter it each time. It is nice for knowing if I am gaining or losing fat. I don't think any devices are correct that we can use on our own. Just guidelines.

Good morning,

Today is my son's 30th birthday. I am getting old. DH and I will spent the day with DS, my DIL and DD. Not sure if I get a workout in today.

Diane Sue - I am gotten really good with modifications. Too many injuries over the last few years.
I will try to be back later. I also don't buy high impact workouts anymore, especially if there is a lot of jumping involved. Low impact works for me, plus I don't feel so wiped out after my workouts. I will let you know if PHA 2 is little more joint friendly. Some of the Stacked Sets sound different, but I am sure we have done them before. Cathe also names the exercises different, like Hip Hinge with Back Fly = Bent over fly. Double dead Arm Row = double rows ( I already changed that one) I am pretty sure, just can't remember with workouts we have done the Lateral "U" Raise and the Hip Huggers? It will come to me? LOL! Both workouts. I did like the workout.

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

Good Morning,

Yesterday I did LiiFT 4 WK6 D3 Shoulders before I went to work. I was suppose to learn how to go through the statements and get them ready to mail but the chick teaching me how to run them the other night messed something up so we ended up running last months statements so we had to rerun everything and ran out of time. I won’t be going to Florida now just Dallas we fly down one day back the next.

Shoulder Press-10lb 10x3
Upright Row-10lbs 10x3
Front Raise-10lbs 1 x10 8lbs 10x2
Y RIse-10lb10x1 8lbs 10x2
Lateral Raise-10lbs 10x3
Swimmers3lbs 10x3
Then three rounds of HiiT followed by abs

I am so ready for a change in exercises

Happy Super Bowl Day! :) Today I will most likely sit a lot on the couch screaming so I did a kick butt workout, Vertical Loading. This workout is my favorite and I can switch the exercises up to fit my needs. Workout was 1 hour and 10 minutes, I included leg ext. at the end as well as ABS. Total Calorie burn was 489.

Great job on getting workouts in on a Sunday, it is my favorite day to workout because I am not rushed.

Have a great day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.