Hardcore Fitness Maniacs for April 2020

I'm in Colorado Springs. Red Rock is actually an old landfill reclaimed and turned into a hiking/biking space. Its really cool with the Red Rock Formations that were an old quarry and it links into other trails that head over to Manitou and Bear Creek in both directions.

This morning I did 292 Low Impact Cardio Muscle. Its a good workout - not much muscle, very metabolic. I'm still cautious of bothering my knee. I don't know that I really did anything but sometimes if I jump too much or have bad form on lunges or squats it will swell a bit and be sore. I take it easy for a while and its normally fine. I think its an old issue from when I used to run a lot. Too many step workouts on 2 risers will do it too.

Openfit is also offering a free month trial if you use the coupon code FRIENDSFAM I looked at a couple workouts this morning but they don't have music on the videos - they just suggest a spotify play list. I would have to stream from my phone I think to get that to work - so I didn't try any of their workouts yet.

Reactions: WD
Today I started with a walk on the TM, 7.0 incline, 3.3 speed, traveled 1.75 miles, 35 minutes and burned 325 calories. Next, I did CL#245, Upper Body Core Crush, Great workout, I lifted heavy and had to do a few less reps but got in a kick butt workout. I burned 417 calories. Total calories burned was 742 and I am still FAT! I have hot flashes again, this makes me gain weight. I am starting year 3 of menopause symptoms and I am sick of it. My doctor say until I get through this, my hormones are going crazy and that is why it is hard for me to loose weight. Damn, I just want to be lean again but I don't know if that will ever happen :( I have put on a lot of muscle but, I have put on a lot of fluff too, and we all know what that makes you look like :( This month I am sitting a lot more because I cannot go anywhere and that is adding to the problem. My knee and ankle are so sore but not like I cant workout.

Debbie, I am glad you like that RAW workout, finding workouts we love make it so much better doesn't it? I wish I had your Max Trainer, that is my problem area, my thighs and rear end. I was looking for a used on but they are asking a ton of money for them because all of the gyms are closed and people are desperate to workout.

Doreen, i have a friend that lives in Colorado Springs, she teaches horse back riding lessons. She moved there about two years ago and loves it. Nice job on the workout today.

Belinda, I know what you mean about the woo woos! I think it is to motivate them to keep going. Yes, so many people have the worst form, i am surprised that Cathe doesn't correct them.

Diane Sue, that was one heck of a workout you did yesterday. I am so glad that your daughter is feeling better today, kinda scary.

Roselyn, how are you doing?

BBL to read your posts and have a wonderful Spring day!

This morning I did Kelly Build and Burn Cardio Core, 27 minutes, heart rate 123/193, 137 calories,2088 steps. I noticed that the heart rate dropped down to around 88 when I was doing things that required my hands putting pressure on the step like the squat thrusts, it would then show nothing while trying to pick up when I was back doing upright moves. I think that is why the spike for a few seconds. I then did Kelly TMF Strong and Lean Kickbox, 33 minutes, heart rate 114/157, wore 1.5# gloves, 151 calories, 3,191 steps. I finished with Ice stretch 1, 12 minutes, 12 calories, 14 steps. Total time was 72 minutes, 300 calories, 5,293 steps.

Debbie, I hope the headache is gone by now. I find working out helps a lot of things. To be honest that Max Performance workout does not sound fun, but I bet you felt accomplished when you were done. I love Box and Tone and keep doing it. I guess it would be a new favorite for me too.

Belinda, sorry the wooing bothers you. It never has really bothered me that much, nor does the background people. It's a reminder that everyone is not perfect and there is an instructor to show it right. Cathe makes miserable moves look simple when they are not for all of us.

Doreen, I love step workouts and really enjoy step boss, but doing those step workouts every week for awhile is what I think kind of set off my knees. I started out using two risers for I Max 4 at first till I started noticing an issue. I think I was just doing too much step. But, the same thing happens when I hit boxing workouts too many days in a row and my shoulders start acting up. I guess it is all balance. I need more floor workouts or others that do not require step or boxing to add in.

Jolie, great workout. I saw something else mentioned that helped with menopause and hot flashes recently and I can't remember what it was. Maybe it was some sort of adaptogen or mushroom. I have read a lot on these lately and was reading stuff from Paul Stamets who I guess has all of these studies and products of mushrooms. He grows his own stuff here in the US and I guess there is some movie about him? Anyway, I thought some of my reading made me think of some hippie era guy lol. I am interested in the Host Defense Stamets 7 product immune support. They sell it at Sprouts. I have been adjusting my supplements and searching out safe products and suppliers with great reviews. My joints are all feeling better the last couple of days. I was a bit apprehensive that I may have pushed too much yesterday.

Roselyn, I guess you have been doing an X train rotation. Nice work.

Last edited:
Diane - the wooing is over the top in CL. Not sure what they all wooing about during jumping jacks? I have been taking live classes in gyms all over the world. There is also a gym etiquette. People don't wooing when they take a live class. I took a lot of streaming live classes not one is making wooing sounds. I am glad it's not bordering you. If Cathe would sell dvd's with wooing she would lose a lot of customers. The people with the bad forms on her live workouts doing her workouts for years. I replied to Jolie's post about bad form. I totally agree with everything she said. Cathe doesn't correct them. I noticed that the other day on one of the CL workouts I did. If I take a live class I don't follow/ look at others, I follow the instructor only. Good job on your workout today.

Last edited:
Today I did 4DS Biceps & Triceps. Had a great workout. This was a tough workout, I used almost the same weights as the last time I did this workout (Nov., 2018!). Even did the band work. I am not used to lifting so heavy and I really felt it. Got a great pump.

Round 1
Slow Dips
- 8 reps (stretch)
Seated Triceps DB Extensions - 15#/20#/25#/30# - 12/10/8/6 reps (killer)
Standing Hammer Curls w/Twist - 10's/12's/15's/20's - 12/10/8/6

Round 2
BB Lying BB Triceps Extensions
– 30# - 8 reps; 2 ct. down, 6 ct. ups
SS w/
Lying Dumbbell Triceps Extensions – 10's - 8 reps/3 sets partial reps

Barbell Crazy 8’s – 25# - 8 full/8 down/8 up
SS w/
Reverse Dumbbell Curls – 12's - 10 reps

Round 3
Stability Ball HS Dips
– 8 reps/16 high end reps (I just did regular dips)
SS w/
Tricep Incline Pushups of High Step

Inc. Hammer Curls w/Twist
– 15's - 12 reps
SS w/
Hammer Curls – 15's - 8 reps

Round 4
Tricep Pressdowns w/Band

SS w/
Kickbacks w/ Band
Hanging Concen. Curls
– 25# - 12 reps (I did regular concentration curls)
SS w/
Wrist Curls - 5's - 16 reps

Workout was 42 minutes, burned 226 calories and did 954 steps. HR was 114/157. Cathe's workout gloves looks like they have the Batman symbol on the top. LOL!

Walked on my Treadmill for 25 minutes, burned 164 calories, went 1.25 miles and did 3030 steps. HR was 119/136.

Belinda - I had to laugh at the title of your workout yesterday - Bootylicious. LOL!! Sounds like a major butt burner! I never noticed the wooing in CL. I've done In the Ring several times and never heard anyone woo. I agree, though, the camera should just stay on Cathe. A lot of those people have TERRIBLE form and they always mess me up. How's your knees?

Doreen - I bet it's beautiful where you live, sounds like a little bit of heaven. Great job with your workouts.

Jolie - Great job with your workout yesterday! I am also having hot flashes, they just won't go away. It's every day. Some days are worse than others. Lately it hasn't been too bad but then there are days when I have them every 20 minutes. I hate them, I wish there was something that could be done about them. My doctor told me this could last the rest of my life. Now that would suck! I've been taking Change O' Life again and that seems to help. Once my body gets used to it, though, the hot flashes return. So I stop taking it for about a month or so and then when I use it again it starts to work. Weird. Luckily my weight has stayed the same, in fact, everyone keeps telling me I need to gain weight. Whatever! The Max Trainer has really trimmed up my butt and legs. I love that thing.

Diane - My HR always dives down when I do floor work or even when I'm lifting. Not sure why. There are times I feel like my HR is way up and I look at my watch and it says 97 or something like that. I'm like, what??? How is Cathe's Strong & Lean Kickboxing? Is it high impact like all her other KB workouts are? Is it fun? Yes, the Max Performance is tough, it has taken me a long time to be able to move up to the Intermediate and Challenge Me workouts. They are fun, though, I think. I really look forward to using that machine.

Roselyn - Nice job with your workout. I am doing the same thing, just laying low. Getting tired of it.

So I don't know if any of you watched "Forks over Knives" but I'm telling you, it has changed my life. I am mostly eating vegan now, with only chicken every now and again and cheese and milk very sparingly, I don't miss it at all either. It's actually really hard for me to eat meat of any kind, even eggs don't really appeal to me anymore. The Forks over Knives website has the best recipes, I am really enjoying making the stuff that they have on there. And everything has been so tasty and good. Yesterday I made the "Outrageously Healthy Brownies" recipe and wow, it tastes just like a regular brownie mix would. It was made out of black beans, date syrup, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. It tastes amazing. I am getting trimmer in my waist and my abs are very flat. I no longer have bloating and I feel GREAT. If anyone is interested in my favorite recipes on that site, let me know. I've made many of them. Wish I could get my husband to eat it with me. :rolleyes:

Have a great day everyone!!

Not much energy to get going this morning. I started with a Sh1ft #09 workout (another streaming service offering free workouts now) but after the warm up he started with jumping squats with a barbell on your back!! NO THANK YOU! So I switched to Sh1ft #08 which was better - a lower body circuit, an upper body circuit and core circuit. Only 30 minutes because I was lazy getting up and going this morning.

Debbie - I eat a lot of vegan food. Like you once in awhile I eat meat. I only use plant based milk. Just don't like regular milk. Please share your recipes :) I made a vegan tacos a few day's ago, DH couldn't get enough of it. I have DOMS in my butt today, lol. It was a great burner. Need to stretch today. I am doing a lot of CL workouts lately, I noticed the wooing in a lot of her live workouts. Thank goodness they not in all of her workouts. Can you imagine lifting weights at a gym and everyone would make wooing sounds or any kind, lol. Do you remember the old VHS tapes with all the wooing, lol? That's what her live workouts reminds me off:p Thank goodness for dvd's.

BTW, Cathe is standing in front of a huge wall mirror.

Last edited:
Debbie, please share your recipes!!!!! I wish I needed to gain weight. I just snack too much now having both kids home, they never stop eating!!!!!

Todays workout was TM, 50 minutes, 7.0 to 8.5 incline, 2.6 miles, 3.1 to 3.3 speed and I burned 527 calories. Average heart rate was 135 and max was 164. I feel good today, my knee and ankle feel great.

Debbie, I have the Change of Life, I am going to start using it again. The same thing happened to me, it stopped working so I stopped using it. Thanks for the reminder. Nice job on the ARM workout today, I just love that one, it is a killer. I have to say, though I am heavier right now, my face looks great! I don't have as many wrinkles :)

Diane Sue, I will check into the mushrooms and see what I can find out. I think any kind of higher impacts makes my joints hurt anymore. That is sad, because I really like a great workout with some impact every now and again, but I pay the price later. Nice workout yesterday.

Doreen, I didn't feel like working out either today, I really had to push myself to get ton the TM.

Belinda, great job with Cardio Fusion today. I feel tight too, I need a good stretch. I have an old Cathe dvd which is all stretching, we all should do those workouts once a week. I think it is called Stretch Max.

Roselyn, I hope you have a nice workout today.

Beautiful day here today, it is like summer out and the beach looks amazing. Too bad you cant go and enjoy it!

I just realized I didn't do the scheduled Cardio Fusion this morning. The wrong workout loaded. Oh well! I did #247 Time to HiiT IT: Low impact = 39 min.

Jollie - I agree on the stretching. I do have Stretch Max. My favorite is the one with the band. Nice cal burn, girl.

I am back. I also ended up doing PHA 2020. I really like this one. She does 2 Round/2 set/ 8 exercise. Alternating Upper and lower body.

Off to relax. See you all tomorrow.

I did Kelly Coffey Build and Burn Lower Body Tabata, 29 minutes, calories burned 88, heart rate 102/138, 1,039 steps. I then did Lite Cardio Part time saver #5 hi/lo and blasts, 27 minutes, heart rate 129/155, 145 calories, 2,629 steps. I finished off with Fitbit "Physique 7" 15 minute recover stretch with Sydney, 39 calories. This was a good lower body stretch. Total time was 71 minutes, calories burned was 272, 3,675 steps.

Belinda, probably the reason I don't notice so much is I am following the instructor and just don't pay much attention to the others unless someone else has pointed out something that I end up watching for. I guess the communication between Sagi and Autumn in the Hammer and Chisel did bother me. It got annoying when I had to watch it over and over. It was not very professional and I was put off by it.

Debbie, nice work today. That is great that you love the Max Trainer workouts. Those workouts for it sound like they would be motivating to work into. I can see that being a plus. LOL on the Batman Symbol. I mainly eat chicken or fish, but it is not every day and often included in soup or with lots of vegetables and fruit. Yesterday I had an artichoke, swiss, and baby spinach grilled brown rice quesadilla for lunch and it was so good. I adapted from another recipe. The original threw in mayo and cream cheese. I use protein powder a lot. My heart rate goes down so fast. Sometimes I think it confuses the Fit bit or something. My hot flashes seemed like they would never leave. If I remember right it was about 10 years before I quit having them at all. I used to be cold all of the time though and sleep with mounds of blankets though and now I don't need all of that which was weird. I noticed Cathe had an article on neck pain on her news/blog. I was clearing out tons of emails today.

Doreen, jumping squats with a barbell on your back sounds like a good way to get an injury.

Jolie, I was reading something on Maca powder this morning that said it can help hot flashes. It really needs put in a smoothie or something. It tastes fine in the Essential living superfood chocolate shake powder that I have been using with some protein powder and avocado or banana lately. I love jumping and flying around the room. Makes me feel like I put a lot into my workouts, but I pay if I do it very often. Once in awhile I can get away with it, but am probably putting more pressure on the spine than I should be. Arthritis protocol is not to do that. But, I love it so much. Same with super heavy weights. There are a lot of adaptogenic affects from mushrooms. I have managed to put on a couple of pounds, but since I started paying more attention to all fats even though they are healthy and bringing them down I am struggling to keep my weight up. Weird because I was fluctuating at the high end for me for quite awhile.

I had better go to bed. Almost 2 am.

Today I did RAW Heavy Bag 2 again, I love this one, it is so fun. And tough, I really worked it today. My knuckles were screaming at me by the time I was done. I figured I blew out a few blood vessels (that happens a lot to me when I workout) but my fingers are fine.

Workout was 41 minutes, burned 247 calories, did 2780 steps and HR was 120/164. I love the ab work in this workout, it's quick and tough. The only thing that could make this workout any better would be to add music from the movie Rocky. LOL!!

Then I walked on my TM for 22 minutes, burned 143 calories, went 1.07 miles and did 2628 steps. HR was 118/130.

So for those of you who asked about recipes, I will list my favorites that I've tried and used many times. Go to https://www.forksoverknives.com/ and then click on the Recipes tab and then search for these recipes:

No-Fry Fried Rice
Creamy Celeriac Pasta Alfredo
"Cheesy" Veggie Pizza
(so good)
Tex-Mex Pita Pizzas
Five-Ingredient Veggie Burger
(I make these a lot, I can't stand beef burgers anymore)
Caramelized Onion & Pepper Vegan Quesadillas
Roasted Winter Squash
(this takes a while to make but so worth it)
Outrageously Healthy Brownie (outrageously GOOD!)
Breakfast Scramble
Banana-Oat Chocolate Chip Pancakes

Look at all the other recipes as well, they are top notch with flavor. It's easy to print the recipes out too. The Outrageously Healthy Brownies calls for Date syrup. I had a hard time finding that in our stupid stores around here so I had to order it on Amazon. I'm sure places like Sprouts or Trader Joes would have it.

Doreen - Great job getting in a workout even though you didn't feel like it. Been there, done that!! Jumping jacks with a bar on your back? OMG, talk about dangerous. Glad you didn't attempt that!! What is wrong with people?

Belinda - Yes, I remember the earlier step workouts with all the wooing. LOL!! OMG, and the leg warmers! So funny! Those were to good old days. I figured there was a mirror in that room, it probably wraps the entire room. She needs to start correcting form for some of those people in there. Belinda, is PHA 2020 a CL workout?

Jolie - I figured I'd be eating way more since I'm home but I've really stuck well with my diet program. I actually feel like I've gotten better because there are no chocolates or cookies sitting out like there usually are at work. LOL! I'm glad you are showing no wrinkles on your face, I cannot say that! I seem to see a new one every day. Nice job with your workout.

Diane - I still have a protein shake in the morning but use and have used a vegan protein powder because the whey ones were really bothering my stomach. Wow, 10 years of hot flashes. I hope mine don't last that long. I'm going on 4 years now. At least they aren't as bad as they used to be. I would be soaked from head to toe in seconds, that doesn't happen anymore. Now I just get hot in the face and sometimes my whole body does too, but I don't sweat anymore. I don't have night sweats much either. Great job on your workout yesterday.

Have a great day everyone!!

This morning I did two workouts - a GymRa Full Body Mat Workout with Weights by Lindsay Bushman and then a Prenatal Ladder workout by Anja Garcia. Don't laugh at the prenatal workout - Anja still packs a punch and the great thing was the modifications she did for the mamas were great for those with knee issues or low back issues. So it was still a tough workout with some great modifications!! The Full Body Mat workout was classified under HIIT but it was not HIIT - just circuits - a good workout - but not HIIT.

Debbie - I'm going to check out some of those receipes. My hubby is trying to eat low carb so he's searching for options.

Today I had a FABULOUS workout, I did Cathe Live All In Upper Body #276 and loved it. I went heavier from the last time I did the workout and cannot believe how I was huffing and puffing through the workout. Workout was 52 minutes and I burned 447 calories. I love this one, it is 30 exercises in a row, first segment is Shoulders and Biceps, then Chest and Triceps and finish with Back. You just keep going from exercise to exercise, not knowing the rep pattern or the amount of reps. Loved it!!! Average heart rate was 119 and max was 161. I am really tired today, it was hot last night and I had hot flashes so I didn't sleep well.

Everyone, please do me a favor, list for me what you eat in a day. I need suggestions that are low calorie and exciting! I want to see how off base I am with my eating. I want to see how much I am over eating ect. Thanks!

Today so far I have had:
Whey Protien Drink and a protein bar and coffee. I plan on getting a green drink and having a salad. Not sure what else.

Diane Sue, thanks for the Maca idea, I will look into that today. Wow, you didn't workout that late at night did you? How do you go to sleep after working out, you must have done it earlier. Nice workout choice.

Debbie, i am starting My Fitness Pal today. I have to start keeping track of what I eat. I am a creature of habit so if I find a meal plan that works in my calorie range I will jut eat that for ever! I am going to get a green juice today, I am craving veggies. Thank you for the recipe suggestions. Great workout today, do you wear gloves? I want to get a heavy bag, I just don't have any room for it! I took the Change of Life yesterday, thanks for reminding me :)

Belinda, way to go on the workout girl! Try the All In Upper Body, i loved it. I need to start working legs more but my knees are so sore when i do, that is why I walk so much on the TM.

Doreen, nice workout today. I am excited to check out Debbie's recipes as well, i am getting so bored with the food lately.

Have a beautiful day.

Hi everyone,

I did CL#255 Kickboxing plus core. Lots of punching. Got a great calorie burn on this one, kept everything low impact.

Debbie - yes, that workout is on CL! Hooked on PHA is another good one, IMO! Thanks for the recipes, I will check them out. Glad you enjoy the recipes.

Jolie - I will post later what I eat. Great job on your workout today. I will check it out soon. Still playing around with all the CL.

Doreen - great job this morning. I almost did one of her workouts this morning. My legs like jello today.

Diane - I would love to watch Cathe if the camera man wouldn't constantly move around and move the camera away from Cathe. Like Debbie said, it messes me up too. Not sure, how you see Cathe if the camera isn't on her, lol.

Roselyn and Roxie - I hope all is well.

Off to get some lunch. BBL!

Jolie - this is my typical day. This was from yesterday:

After workout Protein shake: 476 calories
Lunch: Vegan Quesadillas: 340 calories, Grapefruit: 60 calories; Mini Pretzels: 120 calories
Afternoon Snack: 12 Grain slice of bread w/1 tbsp almond butter: 200 calories
Dinner: Veggie burger w/avocado spread, 1 slice 12 grain bread: 257 calories
Evening snack: Outrageously Healthy Brownie: 231 calories

Total calories: 1684 with 313 to spare
Total carbs: 253 g and was 4 g over
Total Fat: 51 g with 16 g to spare
Protein: 73g with 27 to spare (always have trouble eating all my protein)
Total sugars: 78g and was 3g over

So this is typical for me. I do change up my foods every week, though and dinner is usually always different. I haven't logged yet today but it's 1:30 and I can eat 1708 calories so far according to Myfitnesspal.

Debbie - how do you make the Vegan Quesadillas? They sound so good. I am going to have to make those brownies.

Jolie - this is a typical day for me.

Breakfast: overnight oats made with almond milk. chia seeds, fruit and coffee.
After my workout I have a vegan protein peanut butter shake made with water. Yum!
Lunch: baked sweet potatoes with beans and cherry tomatoes, fresh orange, 1 c. organic kombucha
Snack - organic hummus w/sliced cucumbers/sliced bell peppers. I only eat a snack if I am starving.
Dinner - Moroccan tofu w/brown rice mixed veggies. It's almost like a stir fry. This is what I am having tonight.

Today I did a fitbit boxing cardio endurance (daily burn) workout labeled as medium total body workout, 30 minutes, heart rate 114/148, 128 calories(their estimate was 177) 2,387 steps. I ten started a barre cardio but only did 5 minutes because they were using a ball between the knees in these low pulses and it made my knees hurt which did amount to 102 steps an 12 calories. I went on to do the planned Build and Burn Kettlebell Kickbox Fusion, 27 minutes, 121 calories, 1,985 steps, heart rate 116/145. I used a 15 and 20 # kettlebell depending on movement and did not do the overhead press, just a clean. My neck was sore, stiff and snapping so did not want to push.
Total time was 57 minutes, 249 calories, 4,474 steps.
Yesterdays meals
breakfast 323 calories I star with coffee and read and feed the dog then have the shake
decaf coffee with 1 TBS organic Half and Half and 2 scoops Peak Perfomance Lions mane powder
Smoothie
Essential Living Foods Organic Superfood Chocolate Drink Mix 2 TBS this has maca, cordyceps mushroom, ashwagandha, reishi mushroom
Milkadamia nut milk 6 oz
creamy vanilla Isopure protein powder
half a frozen banana
1 Tablespoon Cacao nibs on top because I like to eat them :)

Lunch 370 calories (not so good as I was so hungry when I came home from Sprouts)
dark chcocolate almond Perfect Bar from the refrigerator section of Sprouts A bit heavy on healthy and saturated fat
GT Cayennade Kombucha tea

Snack 378 calories
Justins Maple almond butter softened in microwave blending in 3/4 scoop Isopure creamy vanilla protein powder, 1 Tbs quick steel cut oats Quaker, 1/4 scoop Amazing Grass Protein Glow chocoate rose and vital proteins collagen packet. This is crumbley and I top it with half a 5 oz carton of Forager Cashewgurt yogurt and 1 TBS extra Dark chocolate chips

Dinner 374 calories
Real Paleo Fast and Easy Curried Shrimp Noodle Bowl (broccoli slaw as noodles, red pepper, mushrooms, onion, ginger, seasonings, light coconut milk(they use full fat) shrimp added last with some lime juice
Red grapes
decaf coffee with Califa Farms Better Half unsweetened plain creamer 1 Tbs and So Delicious Oat Milk Creamer vanilla 1 TBS (won't buy this again as it has sugar in it
my husband looked at my pan and said I should take a picture as it looked fancy He wouldn't eat it though

My changes have been quitting cream and limiting half and half trying to quit that altogther.
This was 35% carbs 10% under goal From what I have read I should keep fat at 25 to 30% for heart health
38% fat 8% over goal
27% protein 2 % over goal
1445 calories

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.