Hair color for covering gray hair....

kswjetski

Cathlete
Can anyone recommend the best brand that would cover gray hair? Something that keeps the color for ..say about 2 months? Going to having it done with my beautician is getting so expensive.

Thanks you
Krista

Can anyone recommend the best brand that would cover gray hair? Something that keeps the color for ..say about 2 months? Going to having it done with my beautician is getting so expensive.

Thanks you
Krista

I agree, it's expensive to keep up your color with a beautician. That's what I do and wouldn't have a clue what to recommend for home hair color.

However, unless your hair doesn't grow at all, nothing is going to last 2 months!

Finding the right product and color for you can be tricky and a matter of what you like. Some of my friends use the mousse style colorants, but I do not like them. I have tried several different products over the years and now use Excellance by L'Oreal almost exclusively. My roots show very quickly so I use a root touch up to extend the length of time, like Clairol Root Touch Up or L'Oreal Root Rescue. I ususaly do a full coverage permanent color, then two weeks later, root touch up, then 2 weeks later another root touch up, then back to a full coverage color.

You might try one of the semi-permanent products to start with.

I use Loreal Preference. My stylist said that's the one she would recommend for home use. I do like Excellence as well. Mine doesn't last more than a month.

Hi Krista
Do you havea Sally's Beauty Store available near you. If you go there the hair Color they sell is professional grade covers much better than the store brands. Also the sales assistants can advise you as to what you need. Its not really difficult as long as you stay within a few shades of your natural color.

Good luck
Vicky

If you have allergies

The best hair color is Sanotint, but it is 18 dollars a bottle. My hair grows so fast that I have to color every nine to ten days. I use Clairol root touch up in between, so I need two boxes of Sanotint every month.

I agree, it's expensive to keep up your color with a beautician. That's what I do and wouldn't have a clue what to recommend for home hair color.

However, unless your hair doesn't grow at all, nothing is going to last 2 months!

Right - it's the grow out that'll kill ya! What I do to extend my time between trips to my salon is to use Clairol Root Touch Up. I only cover my grow out, and it gives me an additional few weeks before I have to go in for an appointment. I double checked with my stylist to make sure I was choosing the right color and that it was ok, and she was totally cool with it. An extra few weeks helps a lot, and the Touch Up works like a charm.

I havent colored in several years. I love the greys coming in. For several months now I've been growing out my hair and now have a trendy cut with trendy greys! My hair is mostly still dark with greys at the temple area and sprinkeled throughout.

I say dont color them, embrace them.

Carmen.

I havent colored in several years. I love the greys coming in. For several months now I've been growing out my hair and now have a trendy cut with trendy greys! My hair is mostly still dark with greys at the temple area and sprinkeled throughout.

I say dont color them, embrace them.

Carmen.

Well that's easy to say if the texture of your grey hair is the same as it was before it started turning. There are different types of grey, and I'm one of the unfortunate ones with that wiry, frizzy grey. NO WAY I'm embracing that! :eek:

I still have mine done every 6 weeks at the salon, but the "tinsel" starts glinting around 4 weeks later. I extend the time between salon trips with a product called "Masc A Gray" by Rashell. It looks just like a tube of mascara but is filled with temp. hair color. You choose one that is close to your hair color and apply it anywhere the gray shows. Like, I wear my hair parted on the side. I just use the "wand" and brush it in along the part on both sides. The gray is gone! When you wash your hair, it washes right out and you reapply it. The tube lasts a long time, so I feel I'm getting good value for my money. If I had a complaint, it would be that it feels a little sticky when you first apply it. That goes away though. I sure like this product.

Well that's easy to say if the texture of your grey hair is the same as it was before it started turning. There are different types of grey, and I'm one of the unfortunate ones with that wiry, frizzy grey. NO WAY I'm embracing that! :eek:

Or if you have a LOT of it. Embrace? Not a chance. :)

I don't look good in gray. No embracing happening here....

Lol i do not either! I love washed out and worn out. I think if my gray was a pretty white i might could embrace it but nope not with my droopy little mouth and no lips, and even my eyes are starting to droop some .. Add grey dull! no... Not happening with me either!

I'll embrace my gray when I'm old enough to be gray:).
I have probably 80% gray, and the texture is not what it was before I went gray. I wash and condition, I then add more conditioner (not alot lot, just a small amount) to my wet hair and leave it in. Makes my hair soft and silky. Even my stylist comments on the great condition of my hair. ;)

I started getting "tinsel" when I was 15! I quit coloring 10 years ago and am totally grey but I do use Aveda Blue Mauva shampoo which has a blueing to prevent yellowing. One of my favorite singers, Emmy Lou Harris has beautiful grey hair. I don't mind the grey but I do mind the wrinkles! but I guess I've earned them.

I started coloring my hair when I was around 23 and have both done it myself and had it colored professionally. I found L'Oreal products to be the best, in the terms of the color longevity, color shade quality, ease of application, and impact on hair condition.

About two years ago (age 48), I decided to let it go natural. I was probably about 35% grey then. Not easy to do, since I don't have the face for short hair. Luckily, I have a superb stylist who figured out a way to do it so it looked decent.

I think it's a personal choice as to whether or not to color your hair as you get more grey. There definitely is a bias against older women, which is something to consider if you work at a place where that kind of thing is important. Do what makes you feel best. I am fortunate in that I got my parent's pure white, sparkly white and it looks fine w/my skin tone. In addition, my silver is in patches, so I look like I have white highlights. I've never been a girly girl---no make up, I wash/comb and go.

Katie Lee, you look GREAT with gray hair. It goes with your skin tone and does NOT make you look old. You made the right decision to let it go gray!

Thanks exercise lover. I work as a corrections officer at a county jail. The majority of officers I work with are in their 20's and also are our inmate clientele. It really is so much easier for me to deal with these young guys than most of the younger women just because of my age sometimes the bias can work to one's advantage! I have a confidence that I attribute in part to Cathe and her workouts. Believe me, people can sense it when you are in control and confident.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.