Got a job! (kinda)

Connie1

Cathlete
As a few of you know, I got my ACE Personal Trainer cert in August, and I have been canvassing gyms since then. I have decided that my current occupation is OK ("don't quit yer day job") and I was just continuing to explore personal training and/or group exercise.

I am training one client, my mom! She's a great student and shows up on time, pays me, etc!

Well, I met with the director of group ex at the local YMCA (Kristine) and she is going to train me to teach (all formats) classes. My immediate goal is to have just one class a week, and keep my full time job (4 days a week).

She will train me to do a step class first, and let me "student-teach," one part at a time. Then I will take the YMCA gp. ex. cert class (2 weekend days) in March.

When I'm ready I'll get on the substitute list, and sub for classes that are within my schedule. Then if someone leaves or has to move away I will have a chance to have my own class!!

I'm pretty thrilled about this. I guess patience has its rewards! My first training day is this coming Tuesday!! Yippee!

That is GREAT Connie! http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/604.gif[/img] I just knew you'd get something right away. I am sure your enthusiasm shined through! Can't wait to hear how Tuesday goes. Let me know.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Connie - this sounds perfect...you get to break into it slowly and then you'll find your own confort level rather then being "thrown to the wolves!"

Good for you and congratulations! Thanks for sharing your progress! Please post after your session and let us know how it goes. Good luck!:7 :7 :7

(If I lived near you I'd let you practice on me!) :7

Congrats Connie! You definitely have a great personality for working with people, so I know you'll shine!

I wish I lived in your area - you could experiment on teaching with me!

Best of luck!

:)

Congrats, Connie!

It is true, patience does pay off. I got my group fit cert in September of 2002. I actually picked the club I wanted to work at prior to getting certified and let the fitness manager know that I was getting certfied and was interested in teaching there. I actually auditioned there in December 2002 and was put on the sub list. I was discouraged at first because I didn't receive any calls to sub until April (once vacation season starts and school starts coming to an end, the need for subs increase!). Anyways, the class members really liked my style of teaching, so I would tell them to fill out a comment card for the management. As a result, I was offered two classes this fall - one year after I originally got certifed.

Sorry for the long note, but someitmes it helps hearing others experiences. It is good that you have a mentor, someone who is willing to train you. I have pretty much been using the trial and error method! Good Luck to you! It sounds like you are going to be awesome:) !

p.s. I just passed the AFAA presonal trainer cert in September, so we have something else in common! - Lynn

Great News Connie!

Timing Is Everything! I knew it would all work out for you! Enjoy the journey and keep us posted ;-)
Best of Luck to you always XO

Congratulations Connie!
It's too bad you don't live near the club I go to because you could have had a job immediately. They have had a few openings now for months since alot of the trainers are college-age and have gone back to school. Heck I may even do it as an easy way to make some extra money. Half the time I end up showing people the equipment anyway.
Again congratulations. You'll be great at it I am sure.
Trevor

Good for you, Connie!

It sounds like you have an ideal situation with your local YMCA and your group ex coordinator, training in to instructing one mode at a time. With all your home ex experience, training into instructing should be very natural!

Having a mentor like Kristine is gold for a new instructor! Keep us posted on how you do!

A-Jock

Connie,

Congratulations! Sounds like the perfect way to start! (I'm so jealous - I wish I had a mentor!). Best of luck - you'll be wonderful!

Rhonda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.