Getting Our Licks In!

Ah, Wednesday...not my favorite day at school because I get no breaks/planning time. BUT today I was blessed, one of my classes was on a field trip and another was SOL testing and they are back to back classes. An HOUR of "down" time. And here I am on the Cathe forums...bad me! LOL

Tournament is Saturday and I have lots of karate this afternoon. I have scheduled a private lesson prior to class and prior to the private there is some extra tutoring for anyone going to tournament. So, I will have about 3 hours of karate tonight. Hope my left heal can hang. I have noticed a lot of pain in my left heal after karate. Its the leg I put most of my weight on when sparring or kicking. Makes me a bit gimpy. I will ask Master Alley is there is something I am doing wrong or something I can to to help eleviate the pain.

I've been doing easy step routines since having the flu and I'm in between meso cycles now. Most of my cardio, stretching and workouts are karate with a few easy step routines in between this week. It works for me!

Laura, I don't know how you do all that you do. But its great! I hope to follow suit once school is out for summer. I plan on doing lots of physical training which will include Cathe of course, and running, and karate! I'll be taking some "Belt in a Week" camps this summer so I will be closing in on my Black Belt, perhaps sooner then November of 2012...perhaps May of next year. All I know, is that there is still so much to learn. It can be a bit overwhelming at times.

MicheleZ, I sure hope you get over whatever you've got. The flu I had was not of the intenstinal side...never had issues with that! I was just achey and weak with absolutely no energy to do a danggone thing.

Take care everybody!!

~Renee

Lovely day in southern California. And a good day of meetings. I have to admit after our morning group, my head was spinning. Got back to the room at a decent time and did MMA Fusion. This is only my second time doing this workout and it's been a while since my first go. I sweat like the dickens but definitely need to spend some time with this workout to learn it. Love the challenge!

Janie: oh dear, all that rain over the winter was not good for our little Rolly. Sounds like you are both going to be getting more walkabouts in--and that is good for both of you guys. Sorry I was slow on the uptake with the jewelry. I know when you offer these gifts they are genuine and heartfelt and I'm just slow to respond. I appreciate what a wonderful friend you are.

MicheleZ: yuck, the intestinal flu. The flu is not fun, but add in the intestinal stuff and I think it is a double-yuck experience. I hope it is a short-lived event for you.

Sister: sounds like you might have a touch of boomeritis. Hopefully, it also is short lived and not a nagging thing. Your rest week, by the way, does not sound like much of a rest week. But you go, girl.

Okay--time to meet my work colleagues for dinner.
~michelle

Did Aerobic Yoga and sitting on the stability ball. Joey continues with TBS.

MicheleZ, Oh My! I sure hope you finely kick that bug in the @ss for good! You poor thing. Get well soon.

Renee, Good Luck with the Karate Tournament on Sat. It's really good to see you taking advange of the private classes. You can't do better than that. Wow, 3 hrs. of it. Good for you, I know you can handle it. I hope you can find an answer to help out with your heal.

Michelle, I'm hearing more and more of nice weather. Spring is just around the corner.:D Great job on MMA Fusion. It's been raining a lot lately and found a poo in our family room. It was Rolly's.:confused: Wonder why? The rain I guess. So, he's on a leash yet again until I can trust him once more.:(

Have a really nice evening everyone,

Janie

Well after going to the doc yesterday, she thought I might have a bacterial infection instead of a virus. She wanted me to...ehem....get some samples and take to the hospital to test for several different types of bacteria. Well wouldn't it just figure that I ate a bunch of stuff yesterday (have not eaten much since Sunday) and I have not had any cramping, gas or anything else - I feel fine (lol). I guess it was a virus because they usually burn themselves out while infections don't go away without antibiotics. Maybe the thought of getting samples was enough to scare me healthy (LOL). I slept most of the afternoon away yesterday and have felt much better since then. I have no intention of going through with the sample taking at this point - couldn't even if I wanted to - no samples to take (lol). Too much information I know :eek:

Today I did Low Impact Step + Total Body Sculpting - loved it! I think I am going to do the Cathe beginner rotation for a while and build from there.

Hey, enjoying my active rest week, but at the same time missing lifting!:rolleyes::eek::p Can't wait to start Meso Cycle 2!

Yesterday I took Misty for a nice 'walk about' and found a link to endless trail in one of Boulder's awesome open spaces right behind my mom's house. I was really excited to find that! I jogged a little when Misty wanted to 'trot.' Boy is she ever huge now. Her head comes close to my hip. She was being so cute yesterday until she was very, very naughty! After awhile of walking she gets into her frisky puppy wants to play mode. She like to jump up and grab the leash with her mouth, which is cute while she is holding the leash in her mouth it is like she thinks she is walking me! She had been so good for awhile I thought hey I think I will let go of the leash and see how she does...BIG MISTAKE! She was good for awhile and then she wanted to play this other game she likes which is basically like tag.. She puts her tail way up in the air and leans her upper body down toward the ground (think downward dog) and then she prances back and forth and darts around me.
Sometimes I play with her jumping up and down and back and forth as well...anyway we did that for a bit and then I wanted/needed to stop, but she didn't get that the game was over and I needed her to come!! OH MY! 25 minutes later I finally grabbed her! I was so mad by that point!:mad::confused::p:rolleyes: Anyway we did end up going just under 3 miles...

That evening I hurt my back somehow, I think trying to pry frozen wood from under a tarp for the fire, while stooped over to get underneath the tarp...It felt like someone was stabbing me in the back with a knife! It was awful...I ended cancelling my class because it was so bad! I had to take a pain killer to sleep...

Thankfully this morning the pain was completely gone! WIERD huh? I had the most amazing day skiing with two girlfriends. It was in the upper 40's with absolutely beautiful Colorado blue skies and no wind at all. I skied as long as I could before having to get the girls and take them to their Violin lessons and their Ballet class, we grabbed a quick bite to eat afterwards and now I am waiting for my friend to come over later this evening so we can draw together. Overall a great day!

Janie: I love the earrings, thanks again. Hmmm you need some sunshine to get some good walks in with Rolly! Hope it comes out soon in the PNW!

Michelle: I love MMA Fusion, I find it really fun. We have had some short weather here, believe it or not, and especially down in the flat lands of Boulder, where it was in the high 60's low 70's today. I have even taken Misty on a few walks around the reservoir in Nederland in shorts this February, which is uncommon....I do hope people come back soon! I lost several mom's due to their kids' busy schedules with games on Wednesday nights..

Renee: Good luck tomorrow! I will be sending you TOWANDA energy from CO! You seem pretty busy yourself if all that you do! I hope your ankle clears up as easily as my random back pain did!

MichelleZ: I wonder if the anti-biotics you took for the sinus infection messed up your digestive track. Have you tried pro-biotics? They can be helpful after a series of anti-biotics to restore the healthy bacteria in your digestive track. I am glad you are getting better. I think sticking with the beginner rotation sounds perfect!

Hi To Shadowpup, Shoegal, ElleP!

Dark, gloomy, and very wet here in T.O.!:( I've been very busy this week at work. We are understaffed, and in addition to my own work, I am crosstraining on payroll so it's been busy.

I went to physio on Mon & Wed and they gave me a pillow to sleep on which i am getting used to and a back rest for my chair at work.

Haven't been able to get in much yoga due to my schedule but I will make sure to do even a shorter practice tonight.

Janie: I received my earrings and pendant this week! Thank you so much! I have been wearing my earrings for the last couple of days and thinking of you. Thanks again!

Michelle: I was wondering about Shoegal as well and beginning to worry about her. I hope she's just too busy to check-in.

Laura: I hope your back feels better soon. Take care of yourself.

Renee: Glad you are on the mend from the flu and getting back to your old self.

MicheleZ: Sorry you are under the weather again. Take it easy!

Gotta go now...Have a good one!:)

I see that everyone is doing well on their exercises and taking care of yourselves.

Elle, so glad you got your jewelry and like it. I didn't know how long it would take to reach Canada.

Joey will be going to Vegas tomorrow for a couple of weeks. He has sold some of his radios that he has restored to better than life originals. I'll be starting a new routine on Monday. Don't know what yet though. It will be different while Joey is gone. I already miss him.:(

Lately I've been doing Aerobic Yoga and stretches for flexibility and balance also ab work. Have to stick with that. I'm also thinking later today to get the balance board out and work with that as well, but so far the yoga I'm doing is wonderful.

Still very cold, rainy and dual here in the Pac. NW. Can't wait for better weather.

I'll be leaving for a few days in the beginning of next month to visit my family in Eastern Wash. I like to celebrate my April Fools birthday there. They usually have a party or something special for me.

When I get home from that, will make a yearly appointment for a pap smear. Reminder: You ladies don't forget that all important visit with your doctor. It's important and saves lives.

Take care and have a wonderful day.

Janie

Hi ladies--took a break day today. Needed a day to catch up with just being home. Back to IMAX3 tomorrow.

Janie: Got my earrings and necklace. They are beautiful--will wear them to work this week. You are so talented. The beads are just amazing. My DH couldn't believe that the beads are made out of paper.

Elle: I think our rainy weather must have headed north to Canada. Hope it clears up and you get plenty of sunshine tomorrow.

So ladies, I am wondering/worrying what has happened to our Shoegal. I'm pretty sure that Shadowpup is just swamped with work and travelling for work, but we have not heard from our Shoegal in a while. Has anyone seen her post elsewhere on the forums? Is there someway we can get in touch with her to make sure she knows we are thinking about her? Any ideas?

~michelle

Shoegal's last activity on the board was 3/10/11 at 1:48 p.m. (according to her profile). You could send her a PM?

Just chilling this weekend :D.

Today was Athletic Step. Sure miss my Joey already.:confused:

Michelle, Glad you like the package.:D I'm concerned too. I'll also PM her.

MicheleZ, Thanks for the info about Shoegal. Have a great rest day.

Janie

Hi everyone. Today was IMAX3, intervals and blasts 1-7--at which point my mind just shut down. I'm still stumbling through interval 6 and I added interval and blast 7--just for fun. I cooled down watching interval and blast 8 and I don't think anything registered mentally at that point. So, I will continue to work on IMAX3--but I think I'll stick with the 7 intervals and blasts for at least the next week's go through.

MicheleZ: Thanks for the information on Shoegal's last activity on the CatheNation last week. I checked to see if she posted to our thread, but she did not. Maybe she is just lurking right now--which is okay. I guess we all go through periods when we can't check-in as regularly as we'd like to.

Shoegal: if you are lurking that is fine. We just want you to know that we miss you and look forward to having you back with us when time allows. Big (((((HUGS))))) to you just because!

Okay--I know sister is home from her Karate tournament, but I'm not going to say anything else. I'm sure she will share how her weekend went some time soon.

Hi to everyone else: Janie, Shadowpup, Elle, and Laura.
~michelle

I kicked butt in the karate tournament!! That is to say, in the portion I was able to compete in. I won first in sparring and second in forms/universals. It was in my second competition (forms) where I had a bit of a mishap. At the end of the routine, I had to do a running/jump right side kick. Three steps, plant your left leg and do a right side (flying jump) kick. One of my favorite things to do. Well, I planted my left leg, knee went wiggle waggle, colapse. Didn't go up in the air...I went down. Hard. And I wasn't getting up to turn and bow to the judges. It sucked...ROYALLY! I did get a score of 109 (out 120) and I was in the lead. One competitor to go...he beat me by 2 points. (Grumble, grumble) Unable to walk, I sat for about an hour with ice on me knee. I was more upset about not being able to compete in the next two divisions then anything else, but, hey, whatcha gonna do? I was finally able to put some weight on my leg, and I hobbled out of the place for a 2 and half hour drive back home. Today, I went to the doctor, x-rayed-negative. She referred me to an orthopedic MD for some time during the week of the 21st. I have very limited use of my knee. Must sit and keep elivated if possible. I may have a torn MCL or ACL, but the doc thinks its the MCL. I can't do squat, nothing, nada but sit on my butt. Looks like a lot of upper body weight lifting for me, and even that will be limited due to my lower body won't be able to support me. No deadlifts or rows. Chest, tri's, bi's and shoulders, and abs too! Whoopee! So I added two more trophies to my first three. I had hoped to bring home 4 more trophies...grumble, grumble. And who knows how long this is going to take to recover from. I am not a happy camper...at all. School will be a challenge too, since I move around my classroom a lot while I teach. Fun, fun, fun...not :(

So, thats it, in a nutshell. Hope the rest of you gals had a better weekend then me.

Take care!

~Renee~

Renee - well congrats on the new trophies - you have accomplished a LOT and should be extremely proud of yourself. It is good to always push yourself for more "excellence" but make sure that you take the time to appreciate what you have accomplished. If you don't take the time to appreciate what you have obtained you are lowering the value of obtaining it.

I am very sorry about the knee :(. I hope you get better soon. I know how frustrating it is to not be able to do anything. I am really hoping you have not torn anything and it is just a bad strain at most. However, I thought that bad strains can be almost as bad as recovering from a tear - not sure.

Today's workouts are Basic Step and then Total Body Sculpting which is probably going to feel like a vacation after doing Cathe's other workouts (lol). I will check back in later to confirm that I did the workouts.

Update - I did Basic Step and Total Body Sculpting and then a nice 3 mile walk with Grady. I must say the Total Body Sculpting is really tame compared to her weight lifting stuff (lol). Not that I am not getting a good workout, it just seems really tame, for instance they use pink 3 pounds weights. I think that is Cathe's way of not intimidating people new to working out. Can you imagine a beginner to Cathe doing that workout and Cathe says "I'll be using 25 pounds....!!!" LOL

Last edited:
Happy Monday everyone! Beautiful day this morning for the puppy walkabout. I'm down to wearing one-layer plus my winter jacket, gloves, and earmuffs in the morning, so things are looking up. Another week or so and maybe I can ditch the earmuffs and the gloves. After the walkabout, I did pyramid upper body. I'm picking up on the second week of Cathe's March rotation which is focusing on the upper body. I am still going to get my IMAX3 in each week as well, so that will serve as a substitute to a cardio.

MicheleZ: sometimes basic step and total body sculpt are a nice break. Just up the weights a little and you are good to go. I totally agree with you that seeing Cathe heff a 20/25 pound dumbbell when I was just starting out with her would have been a bit discouraging to me. When Renee and I started working out with Cathe, we started with Basic Step and its add-ons, and then got Low Impact Step/Total Body Sculpt. They were great introductory workouts and I still enjoy them when I'm in a recovery week, whether from STS or after being sick.

Poor sister: I really hope you do not have a torn MCL or ACL. Of course, now I have to go look up MCL on the internet.

Hope everyone is having a great day.
~michelle

Hi everyone!

Well rest week is over! So my upper thoracic pain was gone Thursday so I skied with some friends( I think I posted that already) but Friday my low back was pinchy! Ugh! So I did a advanced Pilates DVD to see if that would help before my clients. I also got in a quick mini hike before having to pick the girls up at 3 in the foothills behind their school. Saturday I wanted to do alitte something so I opted for Low Max with no risers thinking of my back. It was good. It didn't feel like much of a workout without no risers but hey it's better than nothing & my back he'd up ok with it

There was 2 fires near Boulder on Friday which is scary as we had such a terrible fire season last summer/fall & it is awfully early to be having fires already! Sometimes it seems things are really getting intense! Earthquakes, tsunami's, fires.....

Today I began Mesopotamia Cycle 2 Week 1. I really love the drop sets she uses in this cycle! I also taught a challenging Pilates class & bot camp where I did another one of the Nike workouts! They really are tough!

ElleP: sorry you have been swamped at work & the weather sounds dreary as well, oh well, get some good yoga in tonight! Great stress relief as well as a workout!

MichelleZ: I don't have Cathe 's beginner stuff! I jumped right in with Butts & Guts! The first time I did it I thought I was going to die!!!! LOL I had NO IDEA what I was up against! She sure opened my eyes to the various levels of fitness in the world! I have been hooked ever since!

Michelle: yes I am looking forward to warm weather, even though it means the end of winter sports! I didn't get as much in this year as I would have liked! But hey I did get out there some & there is only so much time...

Renee: I am so sorry to gear about your knee! It seems impossible to imagine you sitting still, cause even your rest weeks are packed to the brim with activity!! I hope it isn't torn, that can take awhile to heal! Remember to eat really, really clean for the next little bit while you can't workout as much as your used to! Hope your better soon

Janie: it is nice to miss our dear husbands now and again. Get some good workouts in while he is away!!

Hi there,

Miss you all! It has been a challenging year, healthwise ... the on-travel food poisoning incident left my so low in February that there was no resistance left for my March trip. I ended up with the bronchial-flu thing plus a touch of pink eye. It has me knocked flat and yesterday was the first day I was upright for even as much as an hour in a week. Today, not much better. I did want to check in to let you know I'm alive and wish everyone well.

I'm resting as much as I can, since next week there's more travel, of a nature I can't cancel. I'm hoping for a restful April.

Take care,
Shadowpup

Wow--what's happening to us? Instead of getting our licks in lately, it seems like we are getting licked by various and sundry illnesses, injuries, and growing pains. I hope everyone feels better as we enter this second half of March.

Ripken and I had another great walkabout this morning. Since we are into daylight savings time, we are walking in the dark in the morning for a few weeks however, in the evening we are in daylight or twilight depending on the time. Did Kickmax this morning--following the second week of Cathe's March rotation. Hoping I can kick a couple more pounds this month.

Gotta run back to work. Try to get back later.
~michelle

Laura - you started with Butts and Guts!!!?? (LOL). Sort of like learning to swim by drowning first :p. I have that one but have not done it yet. I am pretty sure I am not going to bother using weights the first time through.

Did a 4 mile walk with Grady today. I did a nice brisk 4mph pace thereby allowing Grady got to keep his slow trotting pace - that dogs hates to walk. I told him he is going to be the death of me....:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.