Fitnessfreak's December '08 Rotation

I believe I'll be joining all of you as well. Debbie, thank you so much for your dedication to all this!!! YOU ROCK!

(Hi, Kathy G.....looking forward to hearing about ALL your running excursions again! :) )

I do have 2 quick questions, for anybody willing to answer.
1.....the all-famous MORE cardio question....where, if anywhere, is extra ok?
2.....I'll be doing my 1RMs over the next week or 2, in prep for STS. It's not a problem to just toss in some 1RM tests, is it?

I'm pumped up and ready to go! See you all tomorrow!

Gayle

not FF, but wondered the same thing over the past few days, so this is what I found:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm

Endomorph:
An Endomorph's biggest concern should be the losing of fat and adopting a lifestyle that keeps it off. Strength training should be done to get a better muscle to fat ratio and therefore improve metabolism. Use moderate weights at a fast training pace (very little rest between sets and exercises). You should lower your calorie intake (but not try to starve yourself) and should eat frequent but small meals. Sugars, sweets and junk food should be eliminated from your diet. Engage daily in some activity like brisk walking, biking, etc., and try to increase the amount of time you spend each week.

Mesomorph:
A Mesomorph has a naturally fit body but to maintain it or improve it they should exercise and diet corretly for their type. Strength training can be done more often and for longer sessions then would be good for an Ectomorph, but you must still be carefull not to overdo it. You should train with moderate to heavy weighs and at a moderate pace, not resting too long between sets. You will find you gain muscle quite easy (some women and even men might not want to get too bulky, but this won't happen suddenly. When you are happy with your muscle size simply train to maintain it). Stick to a good healthy diet to keep you lean and muscular, and watch for any slow creeping fat gains. Engage in and enjoy aerobic activities, sports, etc. but do not overdo.

Ectomorph:
Ectomorphs should concentrate on gaining weight in the form of good lean muscle tissue (some women that are too thin may also want to put on a little fat to look more feminine). Weight training should be done but not too often or for too long each session. Weight should be fairly heavy and workout pace slower (longer rest periods between sets). Diet should be high in calories (good quality food not junk) and you should eat more then you're used to and often. Aerobic and other activities (sports, dancing, etc.) should be kept to a minimum, at least until you are happy with your weight and looks.

HTH's :)

This may be a dumb question but...in weeks 1 and 3 when it calls for the 4 DS work do we just do the weight work and not the cardio on those DVDs?

Thanks!!

Debbie -

For the Endomorph... basically you're saying that on week 1 we'd do the 4DS weight work 'as is' (no doubles) and add in 30 - 45 minutes of cardio... so we could do the workouts 'as is'... weights first, then cardio (so... Legs/Kickbox) and then on cardio days it should stay in the 30-45 minutes and not the hour-long cardio.

I assume that on weight days you can do the cardio later on in the day, correct?

Gibbee

Thanks for the rotation! I do have one question....it's my understanding that Meso's build muscle easily, so why would a Meso need to repeat the weight sections twice? And for Endo's....I've been told build more muscle to burn more fat...so wouldnt an Endo benefit from repeating the weight segments twice instead of once?? I'm so confused....agghhh! And, by the way....HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! I'm looking forward to the rotation!

I finally have time to answer these questions.

Stacy, the reason I have you doing the 4DS workouts twice is because these workouts only have 1 to 2 sets for each exercise. Meso's need at least 3 sets in the 8-10 rep range to build. With meso's the saying "less is best" is true, but you also have to give the body some kind of challenge. Doing 4DS only once through for building would not do the job.

Endo's need more cardio, not more weight work. Once they get their body to their goal weight, then they can build muscle.

I'm in!

I have a question though, overall I think I'm a meso. I'm quite short 4'9" and weigh less than 100 lbs. I am small boned, but not thin (I have curves). I carry any extra weight in my hips and thighs while my upper body leans out pretty easily. I'm newly 48 and these days it's extremely easy to for me to put on weight in my lower body and I've always had thigh issues. Should I go with the rotation as is, or make some adjustments?

Thanks so much for creating this rotation. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

If you are a meso, just follow this as is. I think with two days of cardio and the floor work added into the leg workouts, this should tone up your lower body if you keep your eats clean. Do you know what calorie range you should be eating? Do you keep track of what you eat?

On the 26th you have GS shoulders is that just the shoulder work?

Hi Roxie. Yes, just do the shoulder work for this day. Then add in cardio and ab work.

Looks great Debbie!!

I've had gall bladder surgery and then a broken elbow and I'm ready to roll again!! This is my rotation starting today. Here's one question... when doing Day 1 4DS Back & Chest- Rounds 1 & 2 already repeat, do we repeat them again doing those exercises in those two rounds 4 times instead of 2??

Sami, yes, do them twice. The first 2 rounds are tough to get through but the last 3 only have two exercises in them. So doing rounds 1 and 2 twice through thoroughly fatigues the muscles for growth.

Debbie thanks. It's looks great. I have 2 questions.

1. Where would an apple fall in the body type family?
2. What if you fall into the half category? Half endo Half meso.

Jenn

Jenn, apple people are usually endo's I think. I have never been too good pin-pointing a specific "fruit" sized person. LOL! If you fall half endo half meso, just follow this rotation as planned.

I believe I'll be joining all of you as well. Debbie, thank you so much for your dedication to all this!!! YOU ROCK!

(Hi, Kathy G.....looking forward to hearing about ALL your running excursions again! :) )

I do have 2 quick questions, for anybody willing to answer.
1.....the all-famous MORE cardio question....where, if anywhere, is extra ok?
2.....I'll be doing my 1RMs over the next week or 2, in prep for STS. It's not a problem to just toss in some 1RM tests, is it?

I'm pumped up and ready to go! See you all tomorrow!

Gayle

Gayle, if you want to add in more cardio just do the 4DS workouts once and add in a half hour of cardio on a few days. Don't over do it on the cardio, though. Or you can add in a half hour of cardio here and there during the week in the evenings if you want.

No, its not a problem to toss in some 1RM tests. Luckily with all the weight training I've done, I know my 1RM. There are calculators out there to help you figure them out too.

This may be a dumb question but...in weeks 1 and 3 when it calls for the 4 DS work do we just do the weight work and not the cardio on those DVDs?

Thanks!!

Yes, just the weight work.

Debbie -

For the Endomorph... basically you're saying that on week 1 we'd do the 4DS weight work 'as is' (no doubles) and add in 30 - 45 minutes of cardio... so we could do the workouts 'as is'... weights first, then cardio (so... Legs/Kickbox) and then on cardio days it should stay in the 30-45 minutes and not the hour-long cardio.

I assume that on weight days you can do the cardio later on in the day, correct?

Gibbee

Yes Gibbe, that is correct. Do the workouts as is or add in your own 30 minute cardio. And yes, drop the hour cardio days to only 30-45 minutes.

And yes, you can break these workouts up if you have too, although it's best do to it all at once.

Dani - Thanks for posting that breakdown.

If you are a meso, just follow this as is. I think with two days of cardio and the floor work added into the leg workouts, this should tone up your lower body if you keep your eats clean. Do you know what calorie range you should be eating? Do you keep track of what you eat?

Thanks for your thoughts Debbie. I use Cathe's nutrition software and I have a menu and know "what" I need to do. It's just a matter of doing it consistently. My workouts are very consistent, but ever since hitting perimenopause food and I tend to have a lot of issues and my taste buds seem intent upon overcoming my common sense.

Debbie - Questions

This may be stupid or already covered but what does this rotation do for us? Build muscle, lean out ???

I think it is to build muscle but I want to hear what you say.

Too, I am going skiing in 3 weeks and I want to build my leg strength some. Would this do that? I am a endo (I think) short and gain weight easy. I think my legs bulk somewhat and I don't want that. What should I do?

This may be stupid or already covered but what does this rotation do for us? Build muscle, lean out ???

I think it is to build muscle but I want to hear what you say.

Too, I am going skiing in 3 weeks and I want to build my leg strength some. Would this do that? I am a endo (I think) short and gain weight easy. I think my legs bulk somewhat and I don't want that. What should I do?

This rotation will do whatever you want it too depending on how you follow it. If you work as heavy as possible, limited cardio, you build. If you use moderate weights and up the cardio (as explained in the original post) then you can shed some weight and body fat.

I think you'd be better off doing one of the leg rotations I have (if you want to follow mine) and I think Cathe has some leg blast rotations out there as well.

Here are the links to mine:

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236655

or
http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1741525#post1741525

Debbie...I'd love to see more for us chicken armed ectomorphs should you ever find the time or desire. I know for me working each muscle group once a week won't do the trick. I've been hitting them three days a week and varying the exercises but I am curious what your take is. Danke! :D

Debbie...I'd love to see more for us chicken armed ectomorphs should you ever find the time or desire. I know for me working each muscle group once a week won't do the trick. I've been hitting them three days a week and varying the exercises but I am curious what your take is. Danke! :D

Hi Beavs!
Ecto body types are the hardest to build muscle with as you well know. In general (not working with Cathe workouts) ecto's need to hit the muscles at least two times a week going VERY heavy. I actually have a system I tried but could not stick with for ecto's. I only tried it because it's suppose to build large amounts of muscle mass. But the way you workout with this system requires too much concentration and I just couldn't do it.

If I remember correctly, you work each body part in one day doing one exercise per body part but the count is VERY slow when you do the pushing movement. You count like to 6 or 8 while doing it and its grueling but does bring results. You do this with three workouts a week to see results. It's called the Doggcrapp method.

Here is a good link for what I'm talking about:

http://www.mm2k.com/doggcrapp-training-workout.html

Also, ecto's need hardly any cardio. You can possibly get away with none but we all know to keep the heart healthy, you need to do some.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

The Dogcrapp method...I wonder if Triumph the Insult Comic Dog would say "This is a great workout....FOR ME TO POOP ON!"

In all seriousness Debbie, thank you for the information! I will be reading up on it tonight and while it sounds tough I am encouraged to give it a shot. I think I've been somewhat deluding myself about how I have been lifting although I have been very dedicated the past few months.....just not seeing the results I am hoping for but at least I'm in shape. I also know I am no where near hitting the 200g of protein my PT suggested I eat per day. There's only so much chicken a girl can stand! Anyway, thanks again for the help.

The Dogcrapp method...I wonder if Triumph the Insult Comic Dog would say "This is a great workout....FOR ME TO POOP ON!"

In all seriousness Debbie, thank you for the information! I will be reading up on it tonight and while it sounds tough I am encouraged to give it a shot. I think I've been somewhat deluding myself about how I have been lifting although I have been very dedicated the past few months.....just not seeing the results I am hoping for but at least I'm in shape. I also know I am no where near hitting the 200g of protein my PT suggested I eat per day. There's only so much chicken a girl can stand! Anyway, thanks again for the help.

I hear you on the chicken! I usually try to stick to 195 g. of protein when I'm in building mode. I use a lot of protein powders to get through the day, though.

Let me know if you are going to try this way of training. I'd love to read how you progress with it.

ROTATION HAS BEEN UPDATED.

PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGES TO DEC. 4TH AND DEC. 18TH WORKOUTS.

I added in Calf work which I forgot to do originally.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.