Fitness Freak

Fitness Freak..

I would love your advice. I am 35-40 pounds overweight... had to much ice cream with my 5th pregnancy:rolleyes: and have managed to keep the weight on for 20 months:mad:

Anyway, should I be really focusing on Cardio instead of weights right now? Or, should I do something like Pyramid Upper/Lower and cardio everyday? Or would it be better to do cardio and a full body workout a few times a week. I really want to use my workout time efficiently!

I have got my diet under control as well.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Jennifer

I would love your advice. I am 35-40 pounds overweight... had to much ice cream with my 5th pregnancy:rolleyes: and have managed to keep the weight on for 20 months:mad:

Anyway, should I be really focusing on Cardio instead of weights right now? Or, should I do something like Pyramid Upper/Lower and cardio everyday? Or would it be better to do cardio and a full body workout a few times a week. I really want to use my workout time efficiently!

I have got my diet under control as well.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Jennifer

You would be better off doing three cardio workouts a week and 3 total body workouts a week. It is important to get weight training in as it raises your metabolism more then cardio does.

Can I ask your advice here?

Hi Debbie,

I'm not sure about posting here - I kind of fell a bit like I am jumping in/imposing so I apologize if it comes across that way. I guess I hope it is maybe easier for you to reply on this thread rather than on numerous (a lot of people are seeking your advice - for good reason from what I can tell :))

Anyway, I am 28, 5 foot 3" and weigh about 116 pounds. I am trying to build some muscle definition and lose some body fat (I think I am "skinny fat").

I am currently doing a rotation of 6 days exercise/week alternating cardio and full body weights. I now have the Pyramids Dvd's so am thinking of splitting it up to be 3 days cardio, one upper, one lower and either a circuit or full body workout. Will this help achieve my goals?

Also, on the advice I have read here, I started tracking my daily meals on thedailyplate.com in order to monitor my intake. I think I am doing okay now - I have increased my protein to 30% by adding in some protein powder (again BSN on your recommendation - yum!). I wondered if I was eating enough but I appear to be in the range of 1400-1500 calories a day - does this sound right to you?

Sorry again for jumping in here - I really hope you don't mind.

Thanks

Sarah

Thanks..

Thanks so much for answering my question.

Would it be bad if I did cardio 5-6x per week and do a total body workout 3x a week? I would just want to do this much until I get the fat off, and then really focus on building more muscle. Good? Bad?

Thanks,
jennifer

Fitness freak (week off)

Hi Debbie,

Today I didn't work out. I was somewhat feeling depressed over my kids going back to school today (I miss them already!) I think I will make this my rest week off of weight training. Would I be ok only doing cardio?

Lourdes

Hi Debbie,

I'm not sure about posting here - I kind of fell a bit like I am jumping in/imposing so I apologize if it comes across that way. I guess I hope it is maybe easier for you to reply on this thread rather than on numerous (a lot of people are seeking your advice - for good reason from what I can tell :))

Anyway, I am 28, 5 foot 3" and weigh about 116 pounds. I am trying to build some muscle definition and lose some body fat (I think I am "skinny fat").

I am currently doing a rotation of 6 days exercise/week alternating cardio and full body weights. I now have the Pyramids Dvd's so am thinking of splitting it up to be 3 days cardio, one upper, one lower and either a circuit or full body workout. Will this help achieve my goals?

Also, on the advice I have read here, I started tracking my daily meals on thedailyplate.com in order to monitor my intake. I think I am doing okay now - I have increased my protein to 30% by adding in some protein powder (again BSN on your recommendation - yum!). I wondered if I was eating enough but I appear to be in the range of 1400-1500 calories a day - does this sound right to you?

Sorry again for jumping in here - I really hope you don't mind.

Thanks

Sarah

Sarah, you aren't imposing at all. If you are looking to build muscle then working one body part a week is what you should shoot for. I.e.: Chest & Tri's one day; Back & Bi's another day; Legs & Shoulders another day or whatever body parts you like working together. Stick cardio inbetween each weight workout. You should lift as heavy as you can for a target rep range of 6-8 reps or follow one of the Gym Style rotations. When doing GS, rest more then Cathe does so you can lift heavy. Resting helps build muscles.

If you are wanting to lean out and get defined, the rotation you are talking about will work. Do upper body one day, lower body one day and a total body workout another day. Then add in three days of cardio.

My figures show you should be eating at least 1800 calories a day to build. Eat a range of 30% fat; 40% protein and 30% carbs.

Thanks so much for answering my question.

Would it be bad if I did cardio 5-6x per week and do a total body workout 3x a week? I would just want to do this much until I get the fat off, and then really focus on building more muscle. Good? Bad?

Thanks,
jennifer

I don't think anyone needs to do cardio that much but some people thrive on doing cardio.

That being said, if you are doing total body workouts 3x's a week, keep your cardio to 3x's a week as well. Give yourself one rest day. There is no need to do cardio more then that. You will be defeating your purpose.

Hi Debbie,

Today I didn't work out. I was somewhat feeling depressed over my kids going back to school today (I miss them already!) I think I will make this my rest week off of weight training. Would I be ok only doing cardio?

Lourdes

Hi Lourdes!
Didn't you just take a week off? I can't remember. If you did, then I'm wondering why you would want to take another week off? If you didn't, then yes, doing cardio about three times this week will be good. If you did take a week off already I say WORKOUT GIRL! That will help you with your depression!

Man, I threw a party when my kids went back to school!

Fitness Freak (week off)

Hi Lourdes!
Didn't you just take a week off? I can't remember. If you did, then I'm wondering why you would want to take another week off? If you didn't, then yes, doing cardio about three times this week will be good. If you did take a week off already I say WORKOUT GIRL! That will help you with your depression!

Man, I threw a party when my kids went back to school!

No, I never did end up taking the week off, I just whent ahead and did week 7 off Gym Style. I didn't know you had any kids? How many kids do you have? Thanks!

No, I never did end up taking the week off, I just whent ahead and did week 7 off Gym Style. I didn't know you had any kids? How many kids do you have? Thanks!

Where did you read that I have kids? LOL! I don't remember ever saying anything about them on here. I have two step-kids, I don't actually have any of my own.

Anyways, then yes, go ahead and take the week off. I think you need too. Do cardio three times and then start with another rotation.

Thank you

HI Debbie,

Thanks for your advice.

I will try to increase my intake and work towards the range you suggested. I need a few days off for a rest and then I will start the program with upper/lower/full body workouts for four weeks or so.

Gym styles are next on my list of purchases so I will give that rotation a go once I am done with the first rotation.

I had a full body scan and BMR test today so the result of that will also be a huge help/indication of where I am at. Won't get the results for a couple of weeks though.

Thanks again.

Sarah

Fitness Freak (Advice on what to do next)

Hi Debbie,

I will be starting something new on Monday, I have no idea what I will be doing. I have recieved Slow and Heavy serios, I was wondering If I could get your advice on how to use it. Should I just use the Slow and Heavy the same way I use the Gym Style serios or should I combine it with other videos. I don't own much of Cathe's videos so, I'm limited. I own the following DVD'S

Boot Camp
Kick Punch and Crunch
Drill Max
High Step Circuit (came with my high step)
Core Max
All 3 Gym Style Serious

Any recomendations would greatly be appreciated. Thanks Debbie!

Lourdes

Hi Debbie,

I will be starting something new on Monday, I have no idea what I will be doing. I have recieved Slow and Heavy serios, I was wondering If I could get your advice on how to use it. Should I just use the Slow and Heavy the same way I use the Gym Style serios or should I combine it with other videos. I don't own much of Cathe's videos so, I'm limited. I own the following DVD'S

Boot Camp
Kick Punch and Crunch
Drill Max
High Step Circuit (came with my high step)
Core Max
All 3 Gym Style Serious

Any recomendations would greatly be appreciated. Thanks Debbie!

Lourdes

Give me a few days, I'll come up with a rotation for you for the next 4 weeks.

Lourdes (Lulu) - This is what I come up with. Do this for the next 4 weeks and then switch back to GS.

Day 1: Slow & Heavy Chest & Back
Day 2: Drill Max Scrambled Cardio Blast premix (46 min.)
Day 3: Slow & Heavy Tri's & Bi's
Day 4: Kick, Punch & Crunch
Day 5: Slow & Heavy Legs & Shoulders
Day 6: Drill Max Ultra Cardio Blast premix (63 min.)
Day 7: Rest

For ab work, do abs twice a week. Do the ab work from KP&C and one from the S&H series. I think two workouts have ab work in them.

Debbie (Fitness Freak)

Thanks Debbie your awsome!!! I want to continue to add to my Cathe collection, any suggestions on what I should be purchasing next? Thanks again Debbie. Have a wonderful day!

Lourdes

Thanks Debbie your awsome!!! I want to continue to add to my Cathe collection, any suggestions on what I should be purchasing next? Thanks again Debbie. Have a wonderful day!

Lourdes

You're welcome! Have fun with it.

Yes, these are my suggestions when your funding allows it:

Step Blast/Step, Jump & Pump DVD
Butts & Guts
Legs & Glutes
Imax2/Cardio & Weights
Pyramid Upper Body/Pyramid Lower Body

This will give you a good variety to do rotations with. These are fun and excellent workouts.

Have a great day!

Fitness Freak (Legs and Glutes)

You're welcome! Have fun with it.

Yes, these are my suggestions when your funding allows it:

Step Blast/Step, Jump & Pump DVD
Butts & Guts
Legs & Glutes
Imax2/Cardio & Weights
Pyramid Upper Body/Pyramid Lower Body

This will give you a good variety to do rotations with. These are fun and excellent workouts.

Have a great day!

Debbie, I'm a bit confuse on the suggestions for DVD's you mention the Leg and Glutes, doesn't that come in the Kick, punch, and crunch DVD or is there a seperate Leg and Glutes? Also, would Pure Strengh be a good one to add to my collection? One more thing would I be able to substitue the cardio segments with running at times? Thank you! Have a great day.

Lourdes

Debbie, I'm a bit confuse on the suggestions for DVD's you mention the Leg and Glutes, doesn't that come in the Kick, punch, and crunch DVD or is there a seperate Leg and Glutes? Also, would Pure Strengh be a good one to add to my collection? One more thing would I be able to substitue the cardio segments with running at times? Thank you! Have a great day.

Lourdes

Sorry Lourdes, yes, L&G is on the KP&C DVD. I forgot you had that one. Pure Strength is a good series, not one of my favorites, but it's good to have just to mix up things a bit.

Yes, you can substitute any cardio segements for running. It's good to change up your cardio periodically.

You have a great day too!

Good morning Debbie,

One more thing, do I take longer rest then Cathe does on Slow and Heavy? Thanks Debbie!

Leg Blast Rotation Premixes

Goodmorning Debbie!!!! I am starting your leg blast rotation and I do have all the dvd's for it but I was wondering if I can do the premixes only and still get the same benefits as if doing the whole workout? I'm kind of pressed for time these days and can only squeeze no more than 45 minutes a day for my workouts. Thanks for your time and have a great day today.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.