Does anyone eat Sardines

I love the ones packed in water. Yum. I have heard that they are good for you. Yum yum. I love anchovies too. Extra yum.

I used to eat sardines as a kid...haven't had 'em in years and I am now afraid to try them again! :p

I LOVE LOVE LOVE anchovies though!:9 :9 :9

Nope...never....I tried them twice years ago....they were just way too icky for my taste. I just get my heart-healthy omega-3s and DHA elsewhere.

Robin:9

Love sardines, I eat them right out of the can most of the time. The ones in water that is............

Rhonda

My aunt eats pickled sardines out of the can. I can't bring myself to try it. Looks too nasty. I can't even stand anchovies but love them all mashed up in cesaer salad dressing. Go figure!

As a vegan, I obviously don't eat them, but a colleague of mine used to have them for lunch almost every day, and he left the lunch room stinking of sardines. (He also started to have an unpleasant sardine smell about him as well).

I'm mostly vegan myself, but my grandmother, who was Spanish, used to eat a can of sardines on top of a baked potato, with a little minced raw onion on top, and black pepper. It was an easy supper when she was just eating alone. She lived to be 100! (Not saying that's why, but she did eat a lot of fish.)

I tasted this concoction and thought it was quite good.

My father, who is Cuban, eats sardine sandwiches with avocado and onion. Also surprisingly delicious.

Sardines are very good for you. They contain healthy fats and calcium, provided you mash the entire can and do not remove the bones, and protein.

It is traditional in the UK to mash the can of sardines and then spread it upon 2 slices of lightly buttered toast, then grill the slices for a few minutes until sardines are cooked. They are delicious like this. Add a sliced tomato sprinkled with salt and peper and a salad and you have a very healthy meal. THis is one of my fave comfort foods and it reminds me of home when I was growing up.....

then brush your teeth afterwards!

Clare

I love the Sardines in Mustard. Had a Finnish Grandfather that introduced my syblings and myself into the fine world of stinky fish. :D Of course I don't know why my sisters and I ever ate them. He always said it would grow hair on our chest! :7

Laurie

Had to tell!

Sardines and Fish Steaks in Louisiana hot sauce is so dam good. I love em :) }( }(

Sardines also contain DMAE, a special nutrient that increase skin tone and decreases sagging in the face and body; I was sold }( :p Thanks guys.

Teddygirl~

My kids and I love the kind that are in olvie oil and 'smoked'. Their fav. brand is Reese Sardines. Lately, I've been able to find a different brand on sale for 88 cents/can, which is almost the same price as tuna in my landlocked city, but Oh so much more flavorful. I think it was chicken of the sea brand. I also like the mustard kind.

We usually just eat them straight out of the can. Once in a while I put them on a sandwhich with chipotle mustard.

I'd love to hear other easy ways to enjoy them. They are so convenient, healthy, full of vitamins and protein. and of course oh so filling.

*They are prob. not actually smoked. You could get the same flavor by adding liquid smoke.

Their dad won't touch sardines. He doesn't like fish very much anyway, but makes jokes with us in particular about the sardine cans looking like cat food.

What a random thread resurrected :confused::D. I like it :p.

I love sardines and anchovies! While I was preggo I used to crave anchovies packed in olive oil sauteed with spaghetti. YUM! My daughter loves all kinds of fish, especially shrimp, so it's probably true when they say what you eat while pregnant will reflect your child's taste in food. She is quite the little foodie :D.

Natasha

They are fab for you! Make toast, crush sardines with fork on plate, bones and all, calcium, then mash onto your toast and then grill quickly or cook quickly in oven a few mins, then serve hot, with fresh tomatoes on the side, with a dash of salt and pepper.

This is the best of winter comfort food: hot, tasty and extremely good for you.

Added: I've just realized this is an old thread and that I have responded again in almost exactly the same way I did before. Hilarious, and consistent!

Clare

Seasons skinless and boneless in olive oil (drained) with chopped onions and wine vinegar. Yum! My dad used to have it sometimes for breakfast and I've carried on the tradition.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.