Do you workout in the am or pm?

I always workout after work because I always thought it was too hard to wake up and immediately workout in the morning ( I usually need a cup of coffee beforfe I'm functioning!). Tonight, I have something going on after work, so I actually got up and worked out this morning. I did low impact circuit, so it wasnt too much of a shock for me in the morning. Anyway, it got me thinking that i might start to try to workout in the morning to free up a few hours in the evening and actually eat dinner before 9:00. Are those of you who do workout in the morning able to get up and have the energy to do harder workouts like STS or high impact cardio? Do you eat breakfast first?

Hi,

I work out in the morning before work all the time. I cannot work all day, with the possibility of having long hours and not getting home, then face a workout as well. Getting it done in the morning actually makes my day start off better!

I also needed some type of "pick me up" before working out, but making coffee and drinking a cup takes too much time. Did you ever hear of "Stok"'s? These are little creamer sized shots of espresso. I down one of these before working out and it works great! :D

p,s I get up around 4:15 to work out.

Deb

I have plenty of energy for my morning workout, but I eat a large breakfast with lots of carbs. Breakfast is my biggest meal. This works best for me. I prefer to wait until 11:00 to workout but sometimes that just is to late to get started.

I work out in the mornings or it would just never happen. I don't eat breakfast, I don't collect $200, I go directly there. :) Honestly, I can't do anything first or it just wouldn't happen. I have finally broken down and started filling up a water bottle, but that's it. Good luck! I think once you get in the habit and get over that initial shock of waking earlier, you'll like that you have it done.

90% of the time I workout in the morning before work. I down some coffee and grab 16 oz. of water and finish it!

Same here - it wouldnt happen if I didnt do it in the a.m. Sometimes though I do an extra workout at night if it's an upper body workout. They are usually 40 minutes or so and it feels good to do something, especially in these dark winter months.
I'll have to look into those "stoks"- sound like my "cup of tea".

I started working out in the morning for almost 2 years now. Before I always would work out after work. I get up at 3am to work out now but I'm glad that I do because it free's up my time after work or if I have to work late I don't have to worry about getting my workout in for the day. There are days that it's harder then others but for the most part once I get going I'm fine. With it being so early I obviously don't eat first. I grab my water bottle and head down to the basement for my workout.

Never heard of "stoks"..... might have to check that out. :)

Brenda

I started working out in the morning for almost 2 years now. Before I always would work out after work. I get up at 3am to work out now but I'm glad that I do because it free's up my time after work or if I have to work late I don't have to worry about getting my workout in for the day. There are days that it's harder then others but for the most part once I get going I'm fine. With it being so early I obviously don't eat first. I grab my water bottle and head down to the basement for my workout.

Brenda

3AM !?!?! OMG, I thought getting up at 4:30 was bad :) I tried to work out in the AM but after a couple of near mishaps with my step, I decided I just wasn't coordinated enough in the morning. I tried for 6 months with the AM workouts...

I get up around 5-5:30, get a cup or two of coffee and water and then head down. The coffee and water gives me time to pray and wake all the way up before I workout. I've been doing this for years. I'm like most people who work out in the AM - With working and a family - if I don't do it in the morning, it doesn't get done.

It gives me energy for all day activity even if I'm sore a little, dinner normally goes at 5:30-6:15, and I'm in bed by 9 reading or whatever (relaxing) and lights out by 9:30-10.

Even if I didn't have the coffee, I'd have to have the water.

In winter months I workout in the afternoon. In summer, I workout in the morning. There was a time when I used to wake up at 3am to workout and had loads of energy to do high intensity interval workouts - but that has changed with age. I still wake up at 4:30 am but I don't have any energy to workout so I tweet and update my blog etc.,

I come home usually at 4:30pm so working out before 7pm is not an issue.

I work out in the morning. During the weekdays, I'm up at 5:30 am, get dressed, and take my golden retriever for a 2 mile walk. That's my wake up. We get back from the walkabout and I feed Ripken, drink my juice, take my one-a-day vitamin, and then head upstairs for my workout. On weekends, I still workout in the morning but a little later.;)
~michelle

I normally do my workouts in the evening but find lately I've been slacking and / or running out of time with other chores to workout. So, I've decided I'm going to give mornings a try, starting today. I got up at 5:45am this morning and did a 45 minute workout (step). Felt great. I had my workout clothes ready and 1L of water ready to grab and go into the basement to get started this morning. It'll take a few days to get me used to getting up that much earlier (about 45 minutes earlier). Right now, I'm feeling tired but I know that'll stop in a week or so.
I don't eat before my morning workout, but I do eat afterwards.

I work out in the morning. Normally I don't eat before working out. But since I am pregnant I have to eat something. Usually it's yogurt or a piece of fruit. I eat quickly grab my water bottle and workout. I start as soon as the kids get on the bus at 6:40.

I usually workout after lunch. But whenever I have worked out first thing in the morning, I've either worked out on an empty stomach to some light cardio... Or, I've eaten a half a slice of bread with peanut butter on it if I'm doing something a little more intense (like 30-Day Shred).

The peanut butter bread seems to give me just enough blood sugar to push through the more intense morning workouts, as opposed to attempting it on a completely empty stomach.

Brenda

3am???What are your work hours and what time do you go to bed? Wow, more power to you. :eek:

As for me, I am unemployed at this time, so it's not an issue. I workout at 10:30am, 3:30/4pm, and try to do a 30 min cardio instead of sitting in front of the tv the whole night around 7/8pm. But when I work, I am going to have to go to bed by 9:30/10 so I can wake up prob around 5, eat light, pray for a bit and then workout before work. I already made up a detailed schedule so that when I do get a job (God willing, sooner than later), then I will be set. Just have to change my sleep schedule which will take a week or 2. Also, when I'm working, if I get my 2nd w/o in around 7pm that would be a bonus. :) - Autumn

Last edited:
do you work out in the AM or PM

I have been working out in the mornings since the 8th grade. I learned at a young age that this was a great time to get something done without any interruptions, and became hooked. I do have a cup of coffee, and do a little email reading, then I am ready for action. I work out for about 90 minutes, but I have never been able to eat first. The food bouncing around is always trouble! Wish I could do it the right way, but I have had no luck. If I am short of morning time ( sleep in a little) I try to get an hour in after work, but I am not as motivated, and so distracted with real life. Often those go by the wayside. I am looking forward to reading the posts of those who workout at home later in the day in hopes of getting a few tips! Liz:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.