Denise Austin must be stopped!

Dave - thankfully I was spared any exposure to Denise Austin when I first dipped my toe into the video fitness waters, but your story reminded of the first exercise vid I ever bought - a Jane Fonda thing. My husband, who is also a Viet Nam vet, took one look at it and said, "Not in my house, Dolly." Took it right back and got a Kathy Smith vid - and thankfully Kathy Smith was MY true intro to video fitness.

Go Sox.

A-Jox

admittedly, denise hocks a lot of junk and can give out bad information, but her new workouts aren't that bad. of course, they're all choreographed by someone else, which might explain it. i actually enjoy some of her newer pilates and yoga stuff, and i like her fat burning workout. of course, they would probably all be better with a different instructor who could, i don't know, cue.

I am guessing that one of Denise's "clients" lost body fat off her back while using her program. What wasn't revealed was what else was this individual doing (and other areas she lost body fat). I'm guessing that she was eating clean and exercising on a regular basis.

With this formula (especially the clean eating), almost anyone can lose some bodyfat on the legs, back, buttocks, arms, etc. Oops. I'm on QVC. I mean by using my products you, too, will lose weight off your back. Ching!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I, too, faithfully worked out to Denise and Gilad in the early 90s until I discovered the Firm (and then Cathe in the mid 90s). I was sooo happy to find someone else to workout to as I couldn't stand Denise's voice, either.

Lorrayne

I too have never been a fan of hers. Yes, her voice drives me crazy!! I have caught her show on Lifetime a few times and just chuckle to myself.
I must admitt if she can get someone up and moving and motivated to do something about their health I am all for it. I just hope these same people find Cathe like we all have ! :D Susan

Interesting how we all got started. I got started in the gym, & my heroes were people like Mia Finnegan & of course the big AF. I turned to home videos when my work schedule got too hectic, & one of my friends turned me on to Karen Voight. Then I found Cathe through a Collage catalog--just browsing through a paper catalog looking for the videos labelled "challenging."

Glad that we all got started in different ways, yet met at the Cathe crossroad, huh?

My DH asked me if Sharon Mann's breasts were real?? I have no idea but am now curious . . . .

Sharon Mann does this weird thing with her shoulders when she is working out. She pulls them up around her neck. Makes my back hurt just watching her . . .

Dawn

Dave I must agree with you. If Denise's over grown cheerleader act can get just one person who does exercise to do so, then its okay. I can ignore her as much as my TV remote will allow.

But she should not be building up false expectations, like getting rid of back fat in 3 weeks. She should know better.

Richard Simmons, the screaming fruitcake? Thats funny. I think he is too funny. Ha-ha funny I mean.:D Renee

I don't really mind Denise's voice, but did anyone ever mention the word "cue" to her? Sheesh! I could do it better!

I started with Kathy Smith. She cues okay & her productions are usually professional, but HER voice is the one which drives me insane. I can barely stand to hear it anymore.

From Kathy to Karen Voight & Keli Roberts...a flirtation with Gilad...then TA DA! Cathe!!

Thank Heaven.

Ruth:)

She could also use a voice stand-in. Her voice is worse than chalk on a blackboard.

Definitely, never been a fan, and now that I have heard her telling this lie, even less of one. I work my butt off, eat mostly right :confused: and still have some of that overhang.

This is the reason I have NEVER purchased one of her workouts and never will. I am soooo :mad: at her right now.

Ha ha, 9-year-old post gets resurrected! I still can't stand Denise Austin. Or Sharon Mann. I will probably see Sharon Mann this weekend at the canfitpro conference (she is there selling her company's music every year) - must check out the boobs. :D

Stebby

Like a few other posters' have said, she did get me started in fitness too. I personally think she looks great for being 55 years old. But I love Cathe and honestly, she can't be beat!

Denise Austin -- too sickly sweet and bubbly! Fake and Fake!
Tracy Anderson -- just a plain oddball!
Cathe ---- one of a kind. Tough and down to earth!

According to a summer 2006 issue of Washington's Finest Magazine, Denise Austin commented that when she became pregnant she was scared about doing her ESPN exercise show in little outfits because it was mostly a guys network and that she had to tell the bosses at ESPN she was pregnant. In the same article Denise also comments about her outfits being cute while she was on Lifetime TV. To read the article look up "Fitness Diva, Denise Austin: More Than a Pretty Face". Also in another interview with Denise, before her debut on The Balancing Act, someone from the South Florida Sun-Sentinel commented about how her outfits are more modest than before. Her response was "Yes, thank goodness. The big hair is also gone now. Hey, I was stylin,' baby." To read the article look up "Q&A: Denise Austin talks about new fitness segments she's taping in Pompano".

I am not sure who you are....but something smells fishy with your posts!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.