Denise Austin must be stopped!

Maximus

Cathlete
I saw her on GMA this morning saying women can get rid of backfat in 3 weeks. How can she lie like that & still keep a straight face? No wait, I take that back.......I've never seen Denise Austin w/a straight face.

Maybe I'm overreacting but this really bugs the crap out of me. So-called fitness experts promulgating myths & half truths on national TV. There ought to be a law!

I have never been a fan.....her voice alone would drive me absolutely batty....I feel the same way about Sharon Mann.....sorry for the fans of these ladies...:)...Carole

Denise Austin is the Robert Atkins of the video / DVD fitness world. All snake oil and greed.

Maxi, she bugs me too. What bugs me as well is the vast legion of people willing to believe her and other snake-oil peddlers. For every peddler of nonsense there's a willing buyer driven by wishful thinking rather than solid scientific informaton - and it will be ever thus.

What bugs me most of all is that solid pros like Cathe Friedrich often get erroneously lumped into the Denise Austin stereotype.

A-Jock

Did shesay something like, "...and to accomplish this, you MUST buy all MY videos" ? hahaha, she bugs me too.

It just goes to show how we all have really educate ourselves on what is good and what is not. Well, get this; the USDA continues to call froze French fries "fresh vegetables." Last year they agreed to a "batter-coating rule" ~ which implies if you can put wax on vegetables and call it "fresh" you can put batter on them too and still be called fresh.

Susan C.M.:D

I just have to ask--what was her suggestion for dropping the back fat in 3 weeks?? Does she have a new video--"Back Fat for Dummies" or "Backfatless in 3"???? Just curious!!!!}(

Well...technically the veggies are fresh up until they've been frozen, canned or have rotted - right? A vegetable is always healthy - isn't it? Carrot cake is healthy! :7

And of course, all of us who live in the Buffalo area know that if you eat your celery and carrot sticks with your chicken wings and french fries, it's a healthy meal.:)

As for the Denis Austin stuff, my step-mother bought me her exercise for pregnancy book. It was pretty lame.

Im ashamed to say that Australia peddles alot of Denise Austin videos to its Aussie comsumers - I have no idea how may of us are and have been sucked in by her 6 week six pack promise, and heavens knows why we even import the products, when we supply our own, just as annoying, Aussie Instructors! and I know this is the million dollar question,

How does she get away with it? :)

Hi everybody! :)

Hey, let's say something positive too, if that's ok. :+

Denise Austin is actually the one, who got me started to exercise and that's good, regarding there I am now, 50 lbs. lighter, advanced exerciser and I love it. :D
Don't get me wrong though, she sure is not an expert in her field and I never would do any of her workouts again, because they are absolutely unprofessional. :eek:
But I have to give her some credit for acutally getting me started. Yeah! ;-)

Just my .02cents.

You all have a good day
Kristine:)

She's somewhat of a shill, IMO. She also used to push some neoprene shorts on QVC, claiming that they would help you lose weight. The show hosts always had to clarify and say that it was short-term water loss.

Are you sure she refered to it as "back fat." She loves calling that stuff "bra overhang" (though when I get it, it's more like "bra underhang").

I seen that as well and thought "YEA RIGHT!" She is something else. And what did she do, take a bunch of uppers before she went on the show? She is annoying!
Debbie in OH

Yep, back fat it was. They actually showed a picture too--it was kinda shocking to see someone w/more fat on their back than I have on my chest. ;(

Anyway, she actually said it could be done w/bands! She showed a couple of rowing exercises. Oh, and threw in at the end that cardio exercise & diet helped. Sheesh! x(

When I was on the treadmill this morning, I was flipping through the channels. One of her exercise shows was on lifetime, or something similar. I was thinking to myself that she was annoying. She is one of the reasons that I joined a gym years ago, and Cathe is the reason I started working out at home again a few motnhs ago. I never thought I could get a good workout at home until I found Cathe.
You do have to give Denise credit as a business woman - she certainly now how to market herself. We saw her a two different stations this morning.
Bobbi

Bobbi, you just freaked me out! I thought I had a double personality! LOL! Denise scares me and drives me nuts with her little "spot reduction" propaganda. The mere sight of her spikes my blood sugar. BUT, she does get beginners moving. She's the quintessential beginner's instructor, the anti-Cathe! The question is, does the world need one? :D
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

The myth of spot reducing will never die. It is as tenacious as the myth that drafts cause colds. It never ceases to surprise me that even people with IQs above the wind chill factor in Buffalo believe this one. (Chris, we need an eye-rolling smilie).

She is definitely marketing herself well...how do these people get to be so popular? Or at least, the market is flooded with their stuff? I am still wondering about those Oleson twins for the same reason!

Jen

I totally agree with Kristine - Denise Austin was the one who helped get me started with exercise and for that I can't hate her too much. When I first started exercising, I really liked the bubbly, motivating instructor. She was perfect for me at that time in my life - I would wake up and do her morning workouts on Lifetime TV.

Since then I've become much more advanced and I have sold nearly all my Denise Austin tapes on Ebay so I can buy more Cathe:). I must admit though, I did keep a few for one of these days when I'm nine months pregnant and may not be able to do anything Cathe - god forbid!x( ;( But I must say I hope I never have to resort to that since I now find her really annoying!!!

Wendy

ok I have to put in my two cents in on Denise, I can't stand her voice!!!! it drives me NUTS!! I tried to watch her one morning I was up early to get my hubby off to work and I couldn't take 5 minutes of her. Her and Sharon Mann are the two that drive me NUTS! but I have a friend who thinks her workouts are better than sliced bread. I tried to get her to check out Cathe but she wouldn't hear of it. She is a true fan of hers.

Ah! What other fitness forum out there would allow such blatant dissing of another instructor? LOL!! (None that I know of anyway!!)

Denise was someone whose early (late 80's/early 90's) step workouts I did faithfully before I discovered the power of the original Firm. Once I did, I realized how lame and annoying Denise really is. I do credit her though with helping me along my early fitness journey.

However, as long as people are out there who believe her hype and buy her seemingly endless gadgets and questionable workouts, I imagine she'll keep peddling them!! Suppy and demand ... it drives our economy. What can you do? I ignore her because I don't consider her a credible source of "fitness" information. Hey, works for me!! LOL!!

Carol
:)

Just goes to show you, because you have a degree in exercise science it doesn't make you a great instructor. I have been teaching fitness classes for 8 years, and am here to tell you the woman knows nothing about rhythm, tempo, musical phrases, 32 count combinations, or balancing out right and left. Half the time she'll have you doing one amount of reps on one side and an altogether different amount on the other. I don't think her workouts ar very safety oriented, my particular #1 concern. I think she is so popular because she tells people what they want to hear!!! I agree she must be stopped....

I started with Denise Austin, it was either that or Jane Fonda or Richard Simmons. I'm a guy & a vet so Hanoi Jane and the screaming fruitcake weren't going to cut it. That's what the library had to offer.

When I bought my step, the Cathe All-Step video was in it. I am not a dance major or a rhythm person, Cathe's tape drives me nuts but I know it's working. Hey I'm dislexic too so right and left (especially watching a video where people face me) become an abstract theory.

Denise is free on my basic cable, in order to get FitTV I have to pay towards $60 a month. I live too far north with tall trees so I can't get Dish TV.

Denise isn't the anti christ, she's certainly not as bad as all of the celebrity "instructors" or the infomercials that are on. If she gets a "spud" off of the sofa then she's doing ok.

Dave
Humbled Yankee fan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.