Combating the winter blues

Another Michigan gal here too!

Glad to hear I'm not alone.. I like winter until about the end of February.. Then we continue to get snow through March and then sometimes early April.. I'm going out of my tree.

I find getting out to exercise ( running or power walking) when the roads aren't too bad helps a ton. Also, avoiding staying in the house helps me too.. even if it means a lame trip to Target!

I will also go to the "electric beach" 1x/week.. I know, I know its bad for you.. but feeling the warmth ( even though its fake sun) makes me feel a ton better.

We may need to start a Winter Blues support group here in a few months!!!

Take care, Lynn

MARCH - ick

That is by far the worst month of the year at least here in MI. It is long and schleppy. Rain snow mix. And the snow by then is *dirty*.

I agree with getting out of the house. Barnes and Noble with a latte (lowfat) and wandering amongst the books comes to mind also.

Try living in Michigan AND being a snow widow:( My husband is operations manager for a landscaping company so you know what he's doing all winter. On top of having crummy weather for what seems like forever, I oftentimes get stuck at home alone with 3 kids-for days. Yes, I definitely suffer from the winter blues. Us Michigan ladies will need to have another get-together come winter-as a sanity saver:)

Alright then Michigan Girls.... I'm thinking we need to plan something come March!!

Maybe we meet at a mid point, go see a chick flick and have lunch somewhere pseudo tropical, like Cheese Burger in Paradise or Bahama Breeze! :)

I'm in Kalamazoo, where is everybody else?

Lynn M.

Lynn, that sounds great! It would definitely help beat the winter blues:) We met in Lansing last month for a MI Catheites get together. Maybe in March we could meet in Ann Arbor or thereabouts? There seem to be a lot of MI Catheites. Where were you all last month? We missed meeting you!

I'm from Chesterfield. It's about 30 miles northeast of Detroit.:)

Not a Michigan girl ...

...but my DH is from there and his family is all still living there! I hear all about how awful the winters.

I wish they'd move here, but then they would bring the drama with them!

Lynn, that sounds great! It would definitely help beat the winter blues:) We met in Lansing last month for a MI Catheites get together. Maybe in March we could meet in Ann Arbor or thereabouts? There seem to be a lot of MI Catheites. Where were you all last month? We missed meeting you!

I'm from Chesterfield. It's about 30 miles northeast of Detroit.:)

Klaudia-

I saw that post after the fact!! I would have loved to have joined you guys! I'm only 2 hours from Ann Arbor, so that is definitely do-able. We could even meet at one of the best restaurants in Michigan (imho) near there in Chelsea.. The Common Grill.. ever been? Its awesome!! ( I might even forego the tropical theme to eat a meal at Common Grill! :)

I'll put a note in my database to bring this back up in mid February!! Lynn

...but my DH is from there and his family is all still living there! I hear all about how awful the winters.

I wish they'd move here, but then they would bring the drama with them!

Yes, we cold weather endurers love to complain about it.. :) I have to admit I'm guilty of it too esp. when talking to people who live in fairer climates. ( Jealousy, I think!)

Lynn M.

Another Michigander here. I love the snow and (dare I say) I hope we get lots this year like we did last year in the north. I hate cold winters with no snow to play in.:mad: But when the end of Feb and early March hits, everyone is soooo over it! So, DH and I scheduled a Carribean cruise for mid March.:D It's our honeymoon that we never had and I'm so stoked. We hardly ever go anywhere for spring break so this will be a treat for us and our first cruise. I'm sure this will help me get over the winter blues. If it doesn't I just don't know what will. Ya'll want to come??;)

On the bright side.....nothing beats sitting in a comfy chair with a snuggly blanket and a hot choc./tea/coffee and reading a good book beside the warm fire while the snow is falling. Ahhhhhhhh!! Plus winter sleep is just so awesome.

Angie

Then we continue to get snow through March and then sometimes early April.. I'm going out of my tree.

Last year the boys and I went to FL mid-March and the night before we are supposed to fly back, DH e-mails me that we are due to get up to 9" of snow that night and we live in the country with a NOT short drive. We got the snow and he managed to shovel enough to get out and get us. But, coming back from 75 degree weather to all that snow wasn't exactly cool.

My parents live in Kalamazoo (Oshtemo). I'm between Lansing and Battle Creek.

I live in the South now but lived for many years in CT, so I know how you feel.

Try getting full-spectrum lights (bulbs, or special lights) and spending extra time around them. I have one on each of my desks, and that seems to help.

I really don't envy you. My DH lived in Michigan and has relatives there still. They complain about how cold and gloomy it is all winter long!

I hope that helps.

Kathryn- do you have any suggestions for full specturm lights? It would be greatly appreciated. Also, I totally agree with you regarding trying to avoid overeating this time of year. That is why I am AGRESSIVELY getting information to nip it in the bud b/f it starts!! All suggestions and helpful hints are appreciated. ;0

Hi Gayle,

I bought some aluminum snow shoes this past summer, (inexpensive on Craig's list) for the
exact reason that you mention. It is so important to find something that make me enjoy the snow and cold. No bugs or humidity is really nice too. Once I'm out moving or exercising in the winter I really enjoy it.

Cindy

QUOTE=Gayle;1765707]I live in Vermont, and for me, it's really important to have a winter hobby that gets me outside and enjoying to cold and snow. I'm an avid skier.

It could be a good opportunity to try a new fitness activity - cross country skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating. The really nice thing about hiking in winter is that you don't have to worry about ticks! :)
[/QUOTE]

Okay, this may sound like a crazy question, but, I have never been snowshoeing. What do you do, do they enable you to walk in the snow better. I have never been a snowbunny, but I see that will have to change. Many have suggested walking. I am thinking a nice brisk walk on my lunch hour may be helpful too... when it is not too bad outside.

I also find it hard to eat salads and cold food in the winter. My body just wants stuff from the crockpot.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!! I just purchased a new crockpot recipe book and have been looking to see what I want to cook first. I am going to try to keep it a healthy soups and stews packed w/lots of veggies.

Somewhere a while ago there was a thread on depression. No one should ever feel ashamed that they have it or have had it.

Absolutely, no one should feel ashamed. It was brave of you to speak out and glad to hear that you are better. We are all just one situation away...

I get SAD too even though I live in CA!

Try getting full-spectrum lights (bulbs, or special lights) and spending extra time around them. I have one on each of my desks, and that seems to help.

Exactly my suggestion. Also, St. John's wort makes you more photo sensitive. However it does interfere with birth control. So bare that in mind :)

We may need to start a Winter Blues support group here in a few months!!!

Take care, Lynn

LOL!!! I totally agree. Really, to encourage one another to get out. As one previous poster said, I will go from my house to car to work to my house. On the weekends I will go shopping, but that is pretty much it. I am committing to embracing the winter this year!

Alright then Michigan Girls.... I'm thinking we need to plan something come March!!

Maybe we meet at a mid point, go see a chick flick and have lunch somewhere pseudo tropical, like Cheese Burger in Paradise or Bahama Breeze! :)

I'm in Kalamazoo, where is everybody else?

Lynn M.

Sounds like a plan- I am in Detroit.

On the bright side.....nothing beats sitting in a comfy chair with a snuggly blanket and a hot choc./tea/coffee and reading a good book beside the warm fire while the snow is falling. Ahhhhhhhh!! Plus winter sleep is just so awesome.

Angie

Can't argue with any of that- pure bliss!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.