Combating the winter blues

butterflygurl

Cathlete
I live in Michigan, as the days are getting shorter (less daylight) I can feel myself going into hibernation mode. I am trying to stop that by taking vitamin D and keeping my a.m. workout no matter what (5-6 days/week) and committing to at least 3 evening workouts/week. Anyone else have this problem? What do you do to combat this? I want to try to combat it this year and increase my workouts. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Another Michigander here. I've not found anything yet that really helps especially once we get into January and February. I'm really consistent with my workouts, but what I really need to make myself do is get outside on sunny days. Outdoors in winter is not my favorite place to be, so I really have to force myself to do it.

Last winter I took the boys and spent a week in March with my sister and her boys near Tampa and that made a huge difference, but so far it's not looking like a possibility for this year.

Hoping others have some suggestions, because it certainly would be nice to find a way to tell the cabin fever bye bye.

Full-spectrum light

I live in the South now but lived for many years in CT, so I know how you feel.

Try getting full-spectrum lights (bulbs, or special lights) and spending extra time around them. I have one on each of my desks, and that seems to help.

I really don't envy you. My DH lived in Michigan and has relatives there still. They complain about how cold and gloomy it is all winter long!

I hope that helps.

I live in Vermont, and for me, it's really important to have a winter hobby that gets me outside and enjoying to cold and snow. I'm an avid skier.

It could be a good opportunity to try a new fitness activity - cross country skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating. The really nice thing about hiking in winter is that you don't have to worry about ticks! :)

Hi,

I live in Massachusetts and I know what you mean about the long winters. Going into work in the dark and getting home in the dark. One thing that helps me is to get outside during my lunch break and take a walk. When it the sun is out it is so uplifting. Even if the sun isn't shining I find that it helps me. Walking at night when the stars are out is really nice too.

Cindy

Snow shoes

Hi Gayle,

I bought some aluminum snow shoes this past summer, (inexpensive on Craig's list) for the
exact reason that you mention. It is so important to find something that make me enjoy the snow and cold. No bugs or humidity is really nice too. Once I'm out moving or exercising in the winter I really enjoy it.

Cindy

QUOTE=Gayle;1765707]I live in Vermont, and for me, it's really important to have a winter hobby that gets me outside and enjoying to cold and snow. I'm an avid skier.

It could be a good opportunity to try a new fitness activity - cross country skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating. The really nice thing about hiking in winter is that you don't have to worry about ticks! :)[/QUOTE]

I so hear you

on this thread. I grew up here and after living my 20's in FL, D.C. and MD I ended up back here. Two years ago my depression which had not reared it's ugly head in several years came roaring back. It was a combination of things but one big component was the weather.
I live in the lower part of the mitten and it seems to me also that when I go and visit my girlfriend in Traverse City where it so much prettier, the winter doesn't seem as bad. That may sound stupid but it's true. It's just not very pretty here on the edge of the thumb.

On days that are sunny or even if they are overcast with no wind I try to get out and walk my dog. I am going to get my snowshoes out this year and take her to the park. I think getting up in the morning in the winter to workout is the hardest thing in the world to do - I commend you on keeping that going.

I am heading back to FL for November to take care of my father and though I will miss many things I know when I step off the plane and it's sunny and 80 my demeanor will change.

I also find it hard to eat salads and cold food in the winter. My body just wants stuff from the crockpot.

I glad you asked this question b/c I had forgotten I was thinking of taking up snowshoeing this winter. Maybe this is what I should ask DH for Xmas.

I find that as long as you find outdoor activities then its not so bad. There is nothing like being out in the middle of a forest x-country skiing and having to peel off layers of clothes b/c you're so bloody hot. Who would have thought.

There was a cartoon on the other day that my Toddler was watching and the characters were told to just stand and close their eyes with their arms outstretched and just listen to the nature sounds. I tell you, we live on a beautiful continent and we should enjoy all aspects of it. (sometimes harder to remember that when you're scraping an inch of ice off the windshield I know :():):):cool:

I suffer winter blues too. I'm just not built for cold weather! I get so cold, my bones hurt. I often have to sit in the bathtub full of HOT water just to get my body temp up (which is low to begin with- 97 degrees).
I find it extremely difficult to get out of bed. Thank goodness for my boxers. They love to curl up in bed with me and they help keep me warm.:D:D

My husband and I dream of retiring to Florida. The sun, warm air, and ocean brings us both peace and joy. We try to make as many 2-3 day trips to Florida as much as possible.
In the mean time, I tend to hibernate and yes, get a little depressed:(
Sometimes a visit to the tanning booth helps. Fake sun rays are better than none;)

I also got our whole family snowshoes a few years back. What fun & what a workout!!! I love to hike even in the winter & the shoes make such a difference.
I know what you mean about the days getting shorter. Seems as soon as it gets dark I'm ready for bed. I look at the clock & realize it's only 7pm!!! :eek:

I also got our whole family snowshoes a few years back. What fun & what a workout!!! I love to hike even in the winter & the shoes make such a difference.
I know what you mean about the days getting shorter. Seems as soon as it gets dark I'm ready for bed. I look at the clock & realize it's only 7pm!!! :eek:

Tami,

What's up with your font? I can barely read it!! Oh, you are going to force me to get out my glasses now:p

Thank goodness for my boxers. They love to curl up in bed with me and they help keep me warm.:D:D

LOL! I call Rascal my Boxer Heating System.

<<I also find it hard to eat salads and cold food in the winter. My body just wants stuff from the crockpot.>>

Same here. I've read a little bit recently about natural seasonal patterns in eating. I think there's a lot of validity to it.

One more thing...

Kim, one thing to watch out for during the winter: overeating! It's really tough (especially around the holidays), but eating too much, exercising too little, and packing on the pounds is sure to make you feel worse!

I know how hard it is to get up early to work out, but if you could find a way to get your workouts in first thing, it starts your day out right and helps you feel better all day long.

Easier said than done, I know (because I used to run at 5:00 a.m. in CT year-round!), but it can really make a difference. And after winter ends (in June! ;) ), you'll look great in summer clothes and you'll feel better about yourself.

Go, Kim, go! :D

Me Too!

I also always workout in the am. Starts my day out right & gives me the energy I need. Another great outdoor excercise we love, is ice skating. I find it very relaxing!

Need to clarify

my depression was due to other factors as well - it just so happened that it hit in February. And it was three years ago this Feb. I have been depression free for over 1.5 years. When the weather is gloomy its just tougher to get going. Luckily I have a great DH who also helped me a great deal through this dark time in my life.

I also believe in the validity of the body wanting to eat seasonally. When I was recently down in FL it was salads, fresh citrus fruit, etc. The minute I got back to MI and cooler weather apples, squash and white bean chili. My FL menu just didn't sound good.

I agree about eating seasonally. For our family here in New York we have a winter menu & summer menu. Certain foods we just don't eat in the "off season".

Great job beating depression too Baylian!!! :D It's wonderful that you have such a good support system.

I think it's good that we're all aware of the possibility of the winter blues so we can face it head on & beat it before it starts!!

Thanks!!

Somewhere a while ago there was a thread on depression. No one should ever feel ashamed that they have it or have had it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.