Chalean Extreme Initial Impressions

Here's a really simple (and yummy!!) green smoothie recipe I learned from a friend:

2 cups spinach
1 cup frozen berries
2 teaspoons agave nectar or honey
1 cup water

Voila! I was very skeptical about having spinach in a drink, but was stunned to find out how great it tasted. I shall be having this quite often :)

I was skeptical about spinach as well, but I make a quick smoothie with chocolate soy milk, about a cup of spinach, a handful of blueberries (and sometimes a bit of frozen banana) and you can't even tell there's spinach in it.

I'm still waiting for my package. I like what I'm hearing so far. I think these will be perfect for me.

For those who wanted more green smoothie recipes, I found this link with 70 of them!

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showpost.php?p=438347&postcount=1

ETA: Oh, and those that don't think Beachbody before and afters are real... I met theBrady Bunch mom that Fitt44 mentioned and she is a real person :p. I met her at a VF get together when she lived here in Utah years back.:)

Last edited:
I am sorry if I offended anyone. I did check out the Brady Bunch mom's site... WOW (thanks)
My initial impressions of Beach Body's selling style was a little skeptical.
I found it worrysome that they don't post very long clips or the actual CLX workout but more user testomonials. It is a very different selling style compared to Cathe's STS program. Honestly, I really appreciate how Cathe markets her videos that is why I felt comfortable pre-ordering my STS. I like to know what I am getting. that being said, I will probally also order (if my budget permits) the CLX since there have been so many good reviews.
BTW, I bought my P90x at a retail store, (Sports Check) and I saw it at Walmart last week as well.
Keep posting the reviews !

Last edited:
Wow! Despite STS being right around the corner, y'all sold me!!! :)

I hadn't read any of the previous threads on CLX and am unfamiliar with the instructor, but seeing it come up repeatedly piqued my interest. Thanks, everyone, for sharing your feedback. I placed my order yesterday.

Going heavy in a time-efficient manner is what appeals to me most. I think it'll work very well with my sometimes-insane work schedule.

For those who wanted more green smoothie recipes, I found this link with 70 of them!

Thanks for the link.
That should keep us busy (and nourished) for a while!

And as to the BB before and after photos: I think the only 'cheating' they do on them is 1) sometimes they are before-and-afters for BB products in general, and not for the specific product the photo is shown for; 2) they are the results of following the BB 'program' (which includes the diet).

Scratches :(

I just received CLX in the mail today, I'm really impressed so far but like some of you all of my DVDs have circular scratches on them. I can't believe how bad they look, like someone stated before, I've purchased used DVDs that look better than this. I was really hoping that they would have this resolved by now. I called them and they are sending me new DVDs, I was impressed with their customer service, but I'm wondering what condition my new DVDs will be in. For those of you that received replacement DVDs were those in better condition?

I just received CLX in the mail today, I'm really impressed so far but like some of you all of my DVDs have circular scratches on them.
I'm puzzled at why people are still getting the scratched DVD's?
Wouldn't BB know about the problem by now (duh!) and fix it before sending out new DVD's? :confused:(I guess this is why their shipping rates are so high: they have to cover the cost of shipping TWO sets of DVD's rather than one...where is a sarcastic-looking Mr. Rolleyes when you need him? That cute smiling one doesn't do it for me.)

I LOVE these workouts, but BB needs to work on their quality control.

The good news is, getting replacements is not a hassle.
I'm just hoping my replacement set is scratch/gook-free. (my DVD's play fine, but I refuse to accept substandard merchandise for a 'new' price).

I also received my DVDs and have had a tiny chance to check some of them out. Nobody get mad at me...I am throwing some things out there for everyone's input!

First, my DVDs had some scratches, but I suspect less than those that had mentioned it. I'm not horrified but mine certainly look "not new." I will only deal with this if I decide to keep them.

Second, the style seems okay, though lifting off the beat can sometimes make me insane. I can definitely tolerate her personality (I know others didn't enjoy her).

Third, and my concern that I would love some input on (this means you ladies), these workouts do not seem very advanced. First, they are very short (in time). Second, they seem very basic. I'm just not sure, even with heavy weight, if they will be challenging to an advanced exerciser. Yet, they are different and will add variety. I am torn. I never want to take a "step back," so to speak. For example, I liked Tony's Power 90 but saw it as very intermediate and not challenging to an advanced exerciser. Maybe the solution is to pair some add-ons to it or add cardio daily with it.

Fourth, I'm not so sure I love the cardio sections that she includes. Again, Cathe kicks our booties for 45 - 60 minutes. Will this 25 minute or so workout be enough to challenge?

Also, the recipe book is nice, though I must admit that I have seen many similiar recipes elsewhere. It's nice if you need input as to what to eat when. I love that Beachbody provides a guide for the workouts & this one is even nicer than those in systems past.

I also was thinking (nobody say "duh" here - ha ha!) that I bet Beachbody puts nothing on their site to force you to get the workouts and prevfiew them. Some willl fall in love and keep them. Some will either forget and not return them or let them sit on a shelf. There's probably a small number that actually take the time to return them, figuring it is too much trouble or that they might incorporate them somehow.

I will definitely post more when I preview more but these are my initial reactions :) All input welcome!

I'm puzzled at why people are still getting the scratched DVD's?
Wouldn't BB know about the problem by now (duh!) and fix it before sending out new DVD's? :confused:(I guess this is why their shipping rates are so high: they have to cover the cost of shipping TWO sets of DVD's rather than one...where is a sarcastic-looking Mr. Rolleyes when you need him? That cute smiling one doesn't do it for me.)

I LOVE these workouts, but BB needs to work on their quality control.

ITA!
I don't get it. There are more and more reports of scratched dvd's on the other boards. You would have thought they would have narrowed down the problem. Unless, they are sending what they have until they get new ones made? Or maybe they can't find the source of the problem?

I'm waiting for my replacements. I hope they are scratch free:( The only good news is that the scratched ones work!

I tried the chili recipe today. I changed a few things. I used organic beans and I added chopped celery and onions to the mix.
I have to say, it is really tasty chili! My son loved it and he's super picky!
I'm going to try the recipe with some ground bison next week:D

I increased weight on my chest presses yesterday. I went to 22.5 dumbbells. My chest is very sore today. My rear delts are still my weakest muscle. I like that I can work them separately.

Update!!!

My replacements just arrived. They look a lot better than the first batch!! A few had a couple of tiny specs of sticky gunk. Very small and insignificant. I'm happy with my replacements. I hope they play alright! Wouldn't that be a hoot if they don't?! My scratched ones play:D:D Just a thought.:p I'll try them out later:)

Third, and my concern that I would love some input on (this means you ladies), these workouts do not seem very advanced. First, they are very short (in time). Second, they seem very basic. I'm just not sure, even with heavy weight, if they will be challenging to an advanced exerciser. Yet, they are different and will add variety.
Appearances can be deceiving: try them before you make a decision.

Even try the first week of the rotation. Just make sure you are lifting as heavy as Chalene says : you should reach failure in 10-12 reps.

First, my DVDs had some scratches, but I suspect less than those that had mentioned it. I'm not horrified but mine certainly look "not new." I will only deal with this if I decide to keep them.

Second, the style seems okay, though lifting off the beat can sometimes make me insane. I can definitely tolerate her personality (I know others didn't enjoy her).

Third, and my concern that I would love some input on (this means you ladies), these workouts do not seem very advanced. First, they are very short (in time). Second, they seem very basic. I'm just not sure, even with heavy weight, if they will be challenging to an advanced exerciser. Yet, they are different and will add variety. I am torn. I never want to take a "step back," so to speak. For example, I liked Tony's Power 90 but saw it as very intermediate and not challenging to an advanced exerciser. Maybe the solution is to pair some add-ons to it or add cardio daily with it.

Fourth, I'm not so sure I love the cardio sections that she includes. Again, Cathe kicks our booties for 45 - 60 minutes. Will this 25 minute or so workout be enough to challenge?

Also, the recipe book is nice, though I must admit that I have seen many similiar recipes elsewhere. It's nice if you need input as to what to eat when. I love that Beachbody provides a guide for the workouts & this one is even nicer than those in systems past.

I also was thinking (nobody say "duh" here - ha ha!) that I bet Beachbody puts nothing on their site to force you to get the workouts and prevfiew them. Some willl fall in love and keep them. Some will either forget and not return them or let them sit on a shelf. There's probably a small number that actually take the time to return them, figuring it is too much trouble or that they might incorporate them somehow.

I will definitely post more when I preview more but these are my initial reactions :) All input welcome!

A few of my DVD's had scratches - but a quick call to customer service and I have new one on the way.

I dont even notice in the weight lifting that you may/may not be off the beat. I normally do really notice that - but I think the way these workouts are structured - I just dont notice.

I also think the shorter times are deceiving. Because you are working with a slow pace, heavy weights and compound movements - you do really get a good workout. There are times when I swear I have done close to the 12 reps and am only at 8... LOL...

The Burn Intervals is closer to 45 mins and I really liked the format - 1ish minute of cardio - 2ish of recovery which includes high rep weights. I havent looked at Burn it Off yet which is the shorter workout.

Just my input so far... I am planning on doing CLX for a few months before diving into STS - although when STS hits and people start talking about the workouts - that might change.... :)

If you know you are going to do 50+ reps/pulses of an exercise, you aren't going to choose as heavy as a weight because you want to last all the reps/pulses. However, if you only need to last 12 reps, you'll go a LOT heavier. The slowness of the reps in CLX also makes a big difference. Nothing is done on a single count except in the warm up so there's no momentum to help you up or down in the exertion. Chalene says you should pick a weight heavy enough that you are DYING by rep 9. So, you wouldn't use the same weights that you'd use for GSL, LL, L&G, PLB or most of Cathe's other weight workouts. (I've never done S&L so I don't know how many reps & sets she does w/ that)

Some work outs you have to try before you can really decide if they are effective. Personally, it's actually really nice to not dread my weight workouts for once and I'm feeling it when I'm doing it, that's for sure. The bowler's lunge with the back row nearly killed me in Burn 2!

These don't have to replace Cathe. They can be complementary systems/workouts. And hey, if you don't like them, you have 30 days to send them back to BB for your refund. That's a pretty cool policy for a system that costs this much, IMO.

HTH!

I dont even notice in the weight lifting that you may/may not be off the beat. I normally do really notice that - but I think the way these workouts are structured - I just dont notice.
It doesn't bother me at all, either. The choice of music is really good, in that it helps give me energy, but it doesn't have a dancy-type driving beat that I feel I have to follow (consciously or subconciously).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.