Chalean Extreme Initial Impressions

Hi everyone,

I just ordered these DVDs, thanks to this thread (and a $100 credit I had on my credit card after I returned something yesterday *hee*). I was just wondering how long the workouts are? I typically have only 1 hour a day to work out, so I'm hoping none of them are more than 1 hour?

Thanks!
Jennifer

Hi everyone,

I just ordered these DVDs, thanks to this thread (and a $100 credit I had on my credit card after I returned something yesterday *hee*). I was just wondering how long the workouts are? I typically have only 1 hour a day to work out, so I'm hoping none of them are more than 1 hour?

Thanks!
Jennifer

the workouts average about 35-40 minutes so you will have plenty of time to complete them and tack on some cardio if you like.

As I'm using these workouts, I'm finding some (few) negatives, mainly:

The exact same warm-up and cooldown stretch are used for each workout (the moves are the same, but the footage is differnt), and that wouldn't be so bad in itself, but the warm-up holds a left-lat stretch, but doesn't do the same on the right. And the cooldown stretches the left inner thigh (you are 'seated' in a right lunge) more than the right. Again, not a major problem if this were done on one workout, but each workout repeats the same imbalance.

What annoys me most is there are NO UPPER BODY STRETCHES in the final stretch! What's up with that ? After working the upper body with heavy weights? It's ALL lower body. I have to add on upper body stretches on my own. Definitely an 'oopsie' on their part.:(

(For those of you who have done other Chalene workouts: is this typical of her, to 'forget' to stretch the upper body?)

Thanks, Kariev!! And are there 5 workouts per week? Would I be able to take 1 day per week to do my own thing, you think? I like to work out 6 days a week, and I plan to use this during my off-season from running, but I'd like to have 1 day a week of just running (otherwise when the running season starts I'll feel like a beginner all over again--not good LOL).

Thanks!

You can do the weight training ones on 3 nonconsecutive training days (mon,wed,fri for example) and then do either the cardio intervals it comes with or your own cardio workouts on tues, thurs, and sat or whatever days you like to split the workouts up.

I thought she did a good job as well, though she does rely on convenience foods quite a bit (precut apples? Come on! Not only are they oxidizing as they are sitting there, but how freaking long does it take to cut up an apple?!). .

You know I thought the same thing when she suggested Uncle Ben's Brown Rice already cooked in the package you just put in the microwave for 90 sec. I was thinking 'Doesn't she read the lables? There is a lot more going on in that package other than brown rice!" but then I guess she is saying, 'Hey, if you don't want to spend all your time in the kitchen here are the alternatives to hitting the fast food joints.' and she is right. :D

I was going to order the ChaLEAN Extreme but some how came across Cathee's STS on my web search and am SO HAPPY I did.

I really like how Cathee posts long clips on You Tube and doesn't brag about bogus results. You know the crazy before and after photos that BeachBody seems to love.

I am going to pre order my STS tomorrow. I don't own any Cathee DVD's yet but think I will become addicted. I bought the P90X kit but plan on returning it for the STS program.:rolleyes:

I was going to order the ChaLEAN Extreme but some how came across Cathee's STS on my web search and am SO HAPPY I did.

I really like how Cathee posts long clips on You Tube and doesn't brag about bogus results. You know the crazy before and after photos that BeachBody seems to love.

I am going to pre order my STS tomorrow. I don't own any Cathee DVD's yet but think I will become addicted. I bought the P90X kit but plan on returning it for the STS program.:rolleyes:

What makes you think BB's before/after pics are crazy? I browse around their forums and they are real people and not all of them win money, prizes or get paid. Cathe and BB both have good programs.

What makes you think BB's before/after pics are crazy? I browse around their forums and they are real people and not all of them win money, prizes or get paid. Cathe and BB both have good programs.

There are a few of the test group members on the Video Fitness forums too. They are real people. One of the women is a mother of 6 kids! She has a blog where she posts all her green smoothies. She was in the Slim Series and lost a lot of weight. She is still keeping it off.

Here is her last entry about SS

http://www.bradybunchmom.com/2008_07_01_archive.html

Here is her latest blog entry's and funny....she's talking about STS!

http://www.bradybunchmom.com/
There is another mom on BB forums, who is in P90X+. She was an original test group member for P90X. She has the most amazing 8 pack abs!

I LOVE all of my Cathe workouts, but there is room in my life for other instructors. Every instructor brings something different to my workouts. They all have different lifting styles. This keeps me from getting bored and keeps my body guessing.
CLX is like NOTHING I own. I can't compare it to STS, but I will when it is delivered. I purchased both:)

Last edited:
You guys are the worst enablers ever. I can't even empty the dishwasher yet after my surgery, but I just don't think my life will be complete unless I order Chalean Extreme. NOW:eek:. No I can't wait until I am healthy, I need to have it now!!! I am making DH crazy as I am laying on the couch (sitting up hurts too much) and watching Cathe on Fittv. Now I have to have Chalean Extreme so I can watch that too.

ETA - Kathryn
If I remember correctly this is the recipe for Dr. Oz's green juice drink. I make mine in my vitamix and love it. It makes about 4 cups:
1 cup spinach
4 stalks celery
1 cucumber
1/4" ginger
1 lemon
1 lime
1 apple
Oprah calls it fresh in a class

Last edited:
I'd love to eat totally raw food like she does, but wow....I "think" I'd really miss my protein! The smoothies look awesome!

Cynthia - thanks for posting the recipes from Chalene's meals at home. Any idea on calories, fat, etc? The Turkey Chili looks really good.

I have received the workout's but haven't started them yet....looking forward to that in the "New Year":D

I'd love to eat totally raw food like she does, but wow....I "think" I'd really miss my protein! The smoothies look awesome!
I've explored raw foods off and on, and while I think 60-85/90% raw (changing with the seasons--higher in summer, lower in winter) is doable and could be very healthy, I can't see going 'all the way', except for something like a week-long cleanse.

Most 100% raw-food diets and recipes I see are either way high in fat (to get enough calories, and to get protein from nuts, which are actually a better source of fat than protein), or have a way too heavy emphasis on fruits (high in sugar, natural though it may be).

Alyssa Cohen is a raw fooder who's started looking kind of strange. I saw her on I think Tyra Banks' show when Tyra did a weight-loss challenge and had 3 experts leading the groups (one of the others was the diet guy from Celebrity Fit Club). She looked strangely puffy in the face. I have no idea what that would be from.

Thanks Kathryn! Have you tried these smoothies? I wish I could find a protein smoothie I could fall in love with - but I'm just not there yet! I can't handle the taste of any kind of artificial sweetener, be it sucralose or whatever. I did find one at the health food store called Spriutena (something like that) that had fructose - I could handle that pretty good - but going down - I don't know....maybe I'm just too picky :p These smoothies may be right up my alley! Especially for breakfast......

I need to get back on the healthy / clean (or semi-clean for me;) way of eating - I'm planning starting that along with Chalean Extreme....wish me all kinds of luck!!!!:eek:

(For those of you who have done other Chalene workouts: is this typical of her, to 'forget' to stretch the upper body?)

She doesn't tend to forget the upper body, but does tend to forget the counts (imbalance in stretching one side or the other, or doing an 8 count knee smash on one side and then a 4 on the other side, etc...) The latter is more apparent in the TurboKick DVDs and the off-count stretches (or missing one side) happens in all of them. In TK Round 27 she even acknowledges the oops, and laughs it off saying "who's got the mike!?" ;) It is irritating, but you get past it (or at least I do... it makes her more human).

Here's a really simple (and yummy!!) green smoothie recipe I learned from a friend:

2 cups spinach
1 cup frozen berries
2 teaspoons agave nectar or honey
1 cup water

Voila! I was very skeptical about having spinach in a drink, but was stunned to find out how great it tasted. I shall be having this quite often :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.