Chalean Extreme Initial Impressions

Maybe I am completely dense, but CLX's website says 15 workouts on 6 DVDs on the page where you order the basic package. Seems like the basic only has 14 workouts on 6 DVDs, and then 17 on 7 DVDs if you get the deluxe.

Am I missing something about the 15th workout with the basic package?

I've been trying to figure out the same thing!
I've counted, and recounted, and I still get 14 workouts.
Maybe they're counting one of the instructional segments (band basics or the exercise tutorial?) as a workout?

Hi,

I've heard that the moves do not go with the beat of the music, is this correct? People are complaining that STS they don't either. Usually doesn't matter to me as I'm concentrating on working out, but in case I think of this as a gift for someone who cares, I'd like some insight.

Hi,

I've heard that the moves do not go with the beat of the music, is this correct? People are complaining that STS they don't either. Usually doesn't matter to me as I'm concentrating on working out, but in case I think of this as a gift for someone who cares, I'd like some insight.

The music doesn't have a strong, driving beat, and it isn't really loud (it's louder and with a strong beat on the cardio, where they usually do follow the beat, except for plyo moves).

I think BB does an excellent job of choosing music that doesn't make you (me!) feel obligated to follow the beat (vs STS music). The point is to go at your own pace, which IMO is very doable with their music (some rock and jazz-type music for the most part in the weight workouts). It's all a matter of music type and selection, IMO.

And FYI: I am DEFINITELY annoyed when a CARDIO workout doesn't follow the beat. And in a weight workout, when there's strong, loud rythmical music playing, it's hard for me not to follow that beat. It usually DOES matter to me. CLX (and in fact BB workouts in general) doesn't bother me at all in that way. The music in the weight workouts is definitely 'background' music but still loud enough to hear well.

I think it would only bother someone who feels like they HAVE to have an externally imposed rythm to follow. Someone who HAS to workout to a music beat.

HTH!

Scratched DVDs

I called Beachbody this morning and they are sending me a new set of DVDs, no hassles. You don't even have to send back the set you have now.

I called Beachbody this morning and they are sending me a new set of DVDs, no hassles. You don't even have to send back the set you have now.

Yes, they are definitely trying to get on this.

I called this a.m., and got a very apologetic ("bowing and scraping" level of apology, I don't know how many times he said "I'm very sorry" and "thank you very much") man with a strong Indian accent. He promised me the new DVD's would have no scratches. Said I'd get them in 2-3 business days.

He also asked me to give him the "packed by" initials that were on my packing slip (looks like 4vl or c/vl or l/vl --hard to read), so they are definitely trying to track down the problem.

Wow, eating my words!

When I previewed Burn it Off, I thought it was too short and that since they took breaks where they didn't even march in between the drills, it wouldn't be intense.

I'm eating my words...I just did it and it was tough, and it was fun.

I did Burn Circuit 1 yesterday. I didn't feel like it was as intense as Cathe's workouts, but I am going to start officially next week and try to get a weighted vest. I think that will help dramatically. I also think I am going to go with heavier weights on some of the exercises, and hopefully the combination moves won't be as awkward next week now that I've done them.

Now that I've done some of the workouts, I am definitely not regretting the purchase.

I really like Chalene, she is so sincere and encouraging. I didn't like Turbo Jam and thought she would be annoying, but she's cool.

Last edited:
How is Charlene Xtreme compared with P90X? Anyone tried both can comment?

Here are my initial thoughts about CLX, after completing P90X a few times. There is more lower body work in CLX compared to P90X. CLX has 3 weighted lower body, and 2 days with plyo moves. P90X has one leg day(with lighter weights), one plyo leg day.

I want to say P90X is more upper body intense, but I'm not sure that is a fair statement. CLX is all about heavy lifting so you there is not a lot of sets or reps. I chose to do the 8-10 reps with P90X, BUT! I'm lifting heavier than I ever have because I'm not compensating for extra sets and reps.

The phases are different in CLX. Maybe Kathryn can explain the differences. I'm not sure what the differences are in the P90X phases? CLX has a Burn (I would compare this to hypertrophy phase), Push (Strength), Lean (endurance phase).

Wanted to add.....the workouts are much shorter in CLX compared to P90X. I think the average workout is 30-40 minutes in CLX. I've been ending my CLX workouts with 30 minutes on my elliptical.

Last edited:
I am such an impulse buyer!!!!! I've been doing a lot of Turbo Jam lately and had forgotten how much I loved it. I really like Chalene....I think she's adorable and so motivating. So when I found out she made a weight system, I went to the link and BAM....just ordered it!! No hemming and hawing....just whipped out my credit card. I couldn't believe I did that because I've been debating about buying STS as though my life depended on it! But, I guess just knowing that my system would arrive in a few days totally motivated me. And, so far I am so happy that I ordered it. I really do like that the workouts are much shorter than I'm used to....but I'm really feeling it. It's true, knowing that there aren't so many reps makes me want to lift heavier and I don't have the dread factor. I also like that Chalene is constantly giving pointers on form. The camera thing just seems stupid to me....it doesn't bother me, it just seems unnecessary. I also love that there is an amazing looking 60 year old woman who just uses the bands. We all know from Cathe that the bands really can "hurt" more than weights sometimes. I've listened to her motivational tape a few times during my commute to work. It really has helped me throughout the day!!!!! Even though (as Chalene states) it's stuff I've already known for years. So I am pretty excited about this new system. I've been needing a "change" lately and this seems perfect for me for now. I am shocked how much Chalene can lift. She has amazing upper body strength for someone who looks so slim and lean. One thing I would really like to get is though are those great adjustable weights.
Paula

Just finished Circuit 2. That is one killer workout!
I failed on the 10th rep for bowler's lunge for the second week. Those suckers burn so bad I want to cry!
I get a really heavy bicep and back workout with circuit 2. The deadlift with reverse grip rows are a killer too.
I'm spent:cool:

I'm still awaiting delivery of my CLX system but I have a question for those of you doing it:

Aren't you basically doing a "one rep max" workout with these? After all, for one rep max testing, you choose a weight that brings you to failure by the 10th (ish) rep. Isn't that what Chalene is asking for in Phase 1? If so, that's pretty cool and a VERY inventive way to design a workout!

If not, never mind....:eek:

Just finished Circuit 2. That is one killer workout!
I failed on the 10th rep for bowler's lunge for the second week. Those suckers burn so bad I want to cry!
I get a really heavy bicep and back workout with circuit 2. The deadlift with reverse grip rows are a killer too.
I'm spent:cool:
You're skeering me! LOL!
I have this one on tap for today.

I've only done BC1 so far, but enjoyed it.

As workoutaholic said, it will probably go smoother next time I do it, when I'm more familiar with those combination moves.

I do like them, though. When I was doing the workout, I didn't feel overly taxed in my lower body, but I felt it a bit yesterday. The little details of going into a lunge, then doing a rear shoulder fly, then dropping 1 more inch into the lunge before pushing back up, seem effective.

In my experience, workouts that spread the effort over several muscle groups--like kettlebells or workouts with combination moves---seem 'easier' than workouts that rely on a lot of isolation moves and straight sets, but they are not. And supposedly, they burn more calories.)

I also need to keep my own count to make sure of how many reps I'm getting.

As for CLX vs P90X, just some initial thoughts:
Similarities:
Both encourage you to go at your own pace, and show modifiers and band options.

CLX really stresses that you want to get to momentary muscular failure (the 'can't do another rep with good form' feeling) between 10-12 reps (burn and lean phases) or 6-8 reps (push phase), neither earlier nor later. P90X has you choose your own rep range.

P90X has a more traditional split-- chest/back, lower body, shoulders/biceps/triceps or chest/shoulders/triceps, back/biceps, lower body--with lower body worked once a week.

CLX has a rather unique split: lower body is worked each training day with lower-body only moves or, more often, combination moves (either simultaneous or sequential) that combine lower and upper body. The upper body doesn't follow a clear-cut traditional split (either push-pull or agonistic muscle groups like chest/shoulders/triceps), but covers all the muscles (sometimes more than once) in the course of the week. I really like the emphasis on rear delts in the first workout (that's a body part that is often neglected, but is sooo important for shoulder health and good posture).

I found that P90X didn't have enough lower body work for my gravity-challenged backside (that needs work to keep in the condition I want it to be in). I think CLX will.

With CLX, the rep speed is a usually a bit slower than with P90X, and the special "Extreme" sets are even slower (thank goodness Chalene doesn't say "let's get extreme" as often as the preview clips seem to suggest! I was dreading hearing that over and over, but it's only 2-3 times per workout).

These sets are "drop sets" where you rest about 10 seconds after a set, then pick up the same weight to do 3 more slow (around 8-count both up and down) reps. As I mentioned, there are only 2-3 of these in every workout (and maybe not in all phases, I forget).

(Cathe is using some drop sets in STS--I forget which Mesocycle--but I think that for the additional set, they are keeping the same reps and dropping the weight amount: same effect, I would think).

Another difference is the instructors. I like Tony, but he can be a bit too goofy at times for some. Chalene is pleasant, but not goofy, and thankfully more subdued than in Turbo Jam (I wasn't attracted to her at all as an instructor in the TJ workouts I've seen, especially when she does overhead presses while doing a booty shake!). I find both Tony and Chalene knowledgeable and motivational.

HTH!

I'm still awaiting delivery of my CLX system but I have a question for those of you doing it:

Aren't you basically doing a "one rep max" workout with these? After all, for one rep max testing, you choose a weight that brings you to failure by the 10th (ish) rep. Isn't that what Chalene is asking for in Phase 1? If so, that's pretty cool and a VERY inventive way to design a workout!

If not, never mind....:eek:

There's no such thing as a "1-rep max" workout. (If there were, it would be lifting as heavy as you can for 1 rep for all exercises, very dangerous).

The "1-rep max" test can be done with any number of reps (which are then used to calculate how much you could theoretically lift for 1 rep, as directly testing for that would be difficult and at high risk for injury). The lower the number of reps it takes you to get to failure, the more accurate the 1-rep max calculation will be. That's why the testing is done with 10 reps or fewer (if you fail at 8, then you can use a chart to see how much your 1-rep max would be on that move. I'm not sure if the STS 1RM calculator is set up like this, though, since I haven't used it).

If so, that's pretty cool and a VERY inventive way to design a workout!

It's very much in line with a true gym-style weight lifting using progressive resistance (the way Joe Weider sets it out).

You usually choose a rep range to work out (8-12 reps for hypertrophy, or 4-8 reps for strength, for example), then you start with a weight that lets you get the lower number of reps (ie: 8) and no more. Stick with that weight, increasing reps as you can, until you reach the high end of the rep range you chose (ie:12), then either stay there for 2 workouts (according to some) or on your next workout, increase the weights so you can again only do the lower number of reps.

Advanced CLX

I definitely want CLX but I'm debating between the basic and deluxe packages. The basic kit for $120 seems like a good deal but I'm not sure if the additional $100 for the extra DVDs and bands are worth it. Has anyone purchased the advanced kit? Is it worth it?

I definitely want CLX but I'm debating between the basic and deluxe packages. The basic kit for $120 seems like a good deal but I'm not sure if the additional $100 for the extra DVDs and bands are worth it. Has anyone purchased the advanced kit? Is it worth it?

I purchased the basic kit because I did not need the bands. The basic kit comes with everything you need (if you are going to use weights), including the thigh toning band.
I went back and purchased the bonus dvd for $49.95 because I like the burn intervals and wanted another of the same. You can complete the entire program with out the bonus dvd.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.