Having watched the clip, I was thinking this one might get me in my wrists if there are too many moves back-to-back where the wrists are flexed. If this is the case, I will probably use the workout blender to change around exercises to give my wrists a rest. I will have to modify the gorilla move too. It's the standing up quickly that will get me, I get dizzy when I do that. I think I can do the surrenders, but they will probably be a bit wobbly.
So happy to see your wheels turning on ways to modify exercises to suit you best!

Having watched the clip, I was thinking this one might get me in my wrists if there are too many moves back-to-back where the wrists are flexed. If this is the case, I will probably use the workout blender to change around exercises to give my wrists a rest. I will have to modify the gorilla move too. It's the standing up quickly that will get me, I get dizzy when I do that. I think I can do the surrenders, but they will probably be a bit wobbly.
I'm going to keep checking back here to see if anybody has suggestions for the wrists, because I generally grasp weights as my modification, which won't work very well for some of these moves. I thought I'd let you know what I do for standing up too quickly though. I have neurally mediated syncope, which basically means I pass out whenever my body feels it's under duress. There's meds for it, but I can't take them, because the meds caused my blood pressure to drop, which caused me to - yep, you guessed it - pass out. So, I've learned to modify my whole life in order for my body to handle temperature, elevation, etc. changes in order to keep from looking like one of those fainting goats. So, when I have to go down and then come back up, I do every other movement (only half of what Cathe and Crew do), but when I get to the standing portion, I kind of punch my arms above my head while doing a calf pump (raise up onto toes) before going back down. The 1/2 time pace gives my body time to adjust (no dizzies or passing out) while I'm rising, but the extra movement (arms and calf pump) at the top keep me from losing the cardio benefits.

Great ideas for assistance! I read an article years ago on the importance of being able to get up off the floor for healthy aging, so I've been cognizant of rising from the floor without arm assistance since. I think the surrenders will help ... maybe try it with step in front too... play time again ;)
I read or watched something about the importance of getting to and from the floor too. So, ever since I've made sure that I incorporate a mini practice session of sitting and rising into my days. I make sure I don't use my hands to rise from a cross-legged (pretzel style) sit, which is incorporated into a lot of the stretches at the end of Cathe's workouts as well as many yoga workouts. Then, whenever I shower, I drop slowly (unassisted) to my knees (after shampooing) and rinse my hair our in that position. After rinsing out the shampoo or condition, I rise unassisted. So, even if my workout didn't give me an opportunity to practice from one position, my shower incorporates practicing it from another position. Either way, it doesn't take any extra time out of my day at all. :)

So, when I have to go down and then come back up, I do every other movement (only half of what Cathe and Crew do), but when I get to the standing portion, I kind of punch my arms above my head while doing a calf pump (raise up onto toes) before going back down. The 1/2 time pace gives my body time to adjust (no dizzies or passing out) while I'm rising, but the extra movement (arms and calf pump) at the top keep me from losing the cardio benefits.
Interesting modification Braille. I usually modify by not coming all the way up to stand, I come into a crouching squat instead. I do this modification for exercises where you are down for longer so will probably try this for the gorilla move. For exercises like burpees where you aren't down as long, I do a modification where I don't go down at all, so instead of a burpee I do a squat, rear lunge, back to squat, and stand, alternating legs for the lunge.

Hazlady, can you do some of the moves with your wrists on a raised step so you don't go down as far? The gorilla move behind the step or weight bench so not so much of your bodyweight is held by your wrists?
I just started using pushup stands as much as possible and prefer that to dumbbells because dumbbells hurt my palms.

I wanted to suggest substitutions for surrenders that I have learned. You will still build balance and isolated strength without the knee on the floor
--squatting down with weight in both feet but raising up with weight shifted in one foot but other foot raised or toe planted..then next rep alternate weight shift
--do entire squat sequence lowering and raising with weight in one foot only, other foot toe planted, then alternating next rep
--do squat while extending leg in front and toe hovering or touching. Then alternating with next rep.
--any of these moves you can build up to while using a stick for added stability

I'm going to keep checking back here to see if anybody has suggestions for the wrists, because I generally grasp weights as my modification, which won't work very well for some of these moves. I thought I'd let you know what I do for standing up too quickly though. I have neurally mediated syncope, which basically means I pass out whenever my body feels it's under duress. There's meds for it, but I can't take them, because the meds caused my blood pressure to drop, which caused me to - yep, you guessed it - pass out. So, I've learned to modify my whole life in order for my body to handle temperature, elevation, etc. changes in order to keep from looking like one of those fainting goats. So, when I have to go down and then come back up, I do every other movement (only half of what Cathe and Crew do), but when I get to the standing portion, I kind of punch my arms above my head while doing a calf pump (raise up onto toes) before going back down. The 1/2 time pace gives my body time to adjust (no dizzies or passing out) while I'm rising, but the extra movement (arms and calf pump) at the top keep me from losing the cardio benefits.
Sorry you're having to deal with this life long medical condition, however, I love that you find ways to overcome challenges and keep moving forward :)

Hazlady, can you do some of the moves with your wrists on a raised step so you don't go down as far? The gorilla move behind the step or weight bench so not so much of your bodyweight is held by your wrists?
Thanks Linda. Will have to try this out and see what works best for me. Will also have to try out your suggestion for surrenders. Might be a good one to switch to part way through if I'm getting too fatigued doing the full surrenders.

I was reading the Facebook comments on this week's Live workout and noticed someone
mentioning that they appreciated Cathe showing the modification for the Surrenders that she does do in this Live. So, since I missed it this week, I went back and watched and found the Surrenders, and what she shows is for modification if you don't want to do the down, down, up, up is doing Rear lunges instead and it fits perfectly to the "beat" and then I think you step out side to side (something like that) just like in STS. I like that, maybe do a surrender or 2 and then Rear Lunges, etc. Thought I would let you all know. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.