Cathe, STS Shock Cardio Request

Do you want modification shown in STS Cardio?

• Yes, please, have one exerciser doing a modifier for each high impact move

Votes: 250 71.8%
  • No, thanks, I will modify on my own as needed

Votes: 74 21.3%
  • Modify? What's that? I live for high impact and do jumping jacks in my sleep!

Votes: 24 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Morningstar's point is, if you need or want a modifier, why be relegated to watching a little picture in the corner of the screen?

Sorry I misunderstood! :)

I was just thinking that it would be better than nothing. Especially since some people seemed bothered by the idea of a modifier in with the group.

I'm in general agreement with most here. I don't think modifiers detract from a strong production. Michelle Dozois, Kathy Smith and others do it just fine without wreaking havoc with intensity or aesthetics.

What strikes me about the poll is that a good number of us have been exercising with Cathe for years (or are looking forward to being with her for years.)

It would behoove SNM to understand that even as they widen their market base, a notable segment is getting older and have changing needs.

We still like and need intensity and the professionalism that Cathe provides in quality workouts. But we need consideration for bodies that can't take impact anymore.

We want the option of going with or without impact and getting the intensity, safety and results Cathe has always delivered.

What strikes me about the poll is that a good number of us have been exercising with Cathe for years (or are looking forward to being with her for years.)

It would behoove SNM to understand that even as they widen their market base, a notable segment is getting older and have changing needs.

Ooooohhhh, great sales point - tell SNM how it will benefit them to include modifiers!

Ooooohhhh, great sales point - tell SNM how it will benefit them to include modifiers!

Its also a great selling point because the DVD now becomes multi functional for many of us.

I can & do enjoy my high impact days...I also ADORE my high intensity but low impact days... I'd be more inclined to use it if I had both options in front of my face (so to speak);)

I hate the idea of a PIP. Most of us dont use big tv's to work out with and that box is awfully small. Not to mention that box would be more distracting than just including a modifier.

I hope they show modifications and for everyone who doesnt want them, ignore them.

I've been reading the threads and figured maybe I'd add my 2 cents, too. I like the modifying that Cathe mentions in other videos (like 4DS Kickbox) where she either mentions or shows a way to modify high impact moves. I'm only/already 30, but I was blessed with genetically crappy knees and years of squats/lunges/step/high impact have already caused arthritis to set in. The thing about Cathe's workouts is that they're great and I really feel like I should be able to do them as filmed. I'm stubborn and I have the mentality that if everyone else is doing the moves, then I should too. I know Cathe often says "listen to your body", but hearing her say it's okay to modify or better yet show a modification makes me feel like if Cathe says it's okay, then it's really okay and I'm not just an arthritic wuss. Does that make sense? I have a few Amy Bento DVDs and watching her modifier makes me think that if Amy takes the time to consider and show alternatives, then she must feel like it's acceptable to modify. Don't get me wrong, I really want to be athletic and healthy enough to do high impact, but I also don't want to have to go through knee replacement surgery any time soon.

So I guess this is my long winded way of saying, yes please, my knees would love to see some ways to modify high impact moves, but retain the high intensity.

Carrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise R
Instead of premixes (if SNM decides against it, due to possible disc issues or even due to the short length of these workouts already since nothing is supposed to be over 50 minutes) how about making up a separate dvd similar to Cardio Fusion and call it Shock Cardio Fusion? You can combine bits and pieces of all the 11 cardio workouts and make several "new" workouts on this one dvd. I know I'd purchase it in addition to my order that I've already placed. Say mix up a step workout with a HIIT step/high low workout or MMA with drills & skills.....

The possibilities are many since there are 11 workouts to mix and match from. On this dvd, you could make 3, 4 or more long or short, hard workouts----you name it!

This would free up any disc issues since it would be limited to this one dvd if you decided to leave the others as they are, with no premixes. (plus it would get them quicker out the door to us )

Just a suggestion!

Denise

Hi Cathe, I love Denise's suggestion. I do love your premixes and would dearly love to see them on STS Shock Cardio. I do understand that having premixes complicate things technically speaking. I still would like to beg and plead to you for premixes. I just don't think they should be anything as extensive as the body blast series. I was thinking just three premixes per workout different time lengths of couse. Just an a suggestion, nothing too crazy. I can imagine how tough it must have been technically to have all those tons of premixes you had for the body blast series. Yikes!

I just wanted to have my voice added to the suggestions for STS Shock Cardio.

Hugs!

Nora

I notice that SNM is carefully keeping their mouths shut on this one - maybe they haven't made a decision on it yet, or maybe they're hoping we'll all forget about it!

I would love to have a modifier, but...

I would love to have a modifier, but please have someone do the lower impact moves with some oomph! to them. I have seen modifiers on some video workouts, & they take the intnesity down way too much IMHO, as I think for most moves, there is a high intensity, yet low impact equivalent. I think having a low impact modifier should be a "no brainer" by now--not everyone has a forgiving floor surface.

Its also a great selling point because the DVD now becomes multi functional for many of us.

I can & do enjoy my high impact days...I also ADORE my high intensity but low impact days... I'd be more inclined to use it if I had both options in front of my face (so to speak);)

It is a great selling point. I know there are polls taken on other forums about Cathe's cardio and many say they can't do her cardio anymore. The impact is just too much. Adding a modifier to the background will bring this group back.
I mentioned this in another thread, but P90X plyo is a perfect example. You have Tony and another guy jumping like two leap frogs on crack, and one guy (with a prosthetic leg) and a woman doing less impact. It is hardly distracting. I think it is keeping it real.:) Real to life and everyday people.

I don't understand the need for visual uniformity. I don't see how you can focus on more than one person in a workout?

I really think my high impact days are numbered:(

I like Kelly for my "non-Cathe days." I have NYC and like it. What other dvds of hers do you like that have modifiers? Just curious. That would take me through until the new STS Shock Cardio dvds come out. Thanks!

I just noticed last week when I did the original IMAX that sometimes the girls in the back do the modified moves. I really noticed it in the 10th interval.....you know, when you are SPENT.:confused: *lol* I didn't find it distracting at all since I just now noticed it and I have been doing that workout for ages. If anything, it made me feel good that I didn't have to modify, but it certainly wasn't distracting.

I guess for all those who don't like the modified moves in the videos, does it drive you crazy in the IMAX workout? If not, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing??

Angie

I thought Cathe started off making advanced workouts because all the other ones out there weren't as much of a challenge for the fittest home folks.

I'm far from one of the fittest out there but I can decide for myself which days I'm up for a challenge and which days I need to scale it back (and how to do so).

It depresses me to think of Cathe changing that approach since she worked so hard to corner the advanced market and I think she should continue, perhaps showing a modification or two during the workout (like in 4DS kickbox with the low impact "gimme something" jumping jacks) rather than devoting 20% of the screen to a modifier.

It depresses me to think of Cathe changing that approach since she worked so hard to corner the advanced market and I think she should continue, perhaps showing a modification or two during the workout (like in 4DS kickbox with the low impact "gimme something" jumping jacks) rather than devoting 20% of the screen to a modifier.

Amy, I can understand this. I wouldn't want her workouts to be less advanced. That is what makes them so great.
I agree about 4DS Kickbox. That is the workout I did Saturday and I thought the modifications were perfect. Cathe stopped long enough to demonstrate it and went on. I didn't modify, but I got the idea.

I see both sides here. I understand what your saying Amy about Cathe working hard as far as Advanced Workouts go. And not wanting to take steps back.
Here's the but...I admit I wouldn't mind the modifier. There are times when I'm either just not up for those intense moves or maybe I'm coming back from an injury & need to take it a bit easy.
Once again you are right Amy, by now I know enough to know how to modify on my own. There are some of Cathe's step wo's where she says something to the effect of stay here at this move or you can go with us to such and such a move.

So either way would be great. I guess it's ultimately up to Cathe, SNM, and crew. We all agree I'm sure that either way it will be a great product!
( Would they draw straws to see who does the modifier? :rolleyes: )

Amy, I can understand this. I wouldn't want her workouts to be less advanced. That is what makes them so great.
I agree about 4DS Kickbox. That is the workout I did Saturday and I thought the modifications were perfect. Cathe stopped long enough to demonstrate it and went on. I didn't modify, but I got the idea.

Exactly, great example.

Great Poll and Thread

I love it!

I cast my vote and am happy to see the majority agree.

Personally, I think having one person do a modified version would not only help me, but would be great for an intermediate/advanced exerciser.

So please have modifications.

As long as I have done Cathe's DVDs, I still want modifications.

I am 10 years older than when I began working out with Cathe and I do not want an injury.

It is a great selling point. I know there are polls taken on other forums about Cathe's cardio and many say they can't do her cardio anymore. The impact is just too much. Adding a modifier to the background will bring this group back.
I mentioned this in another thread, but P90X plyo is a perfect example. You have Tony and another guy jumping like two leap frogs on crack, and one guy (with a prosthetic leg) and a woman doing less impact. It is hardly distracting. I think it is keeping it real.:) Real to life and everyday people.

I don't understand the need for visual uniformity. I don't see how you can focus on more than one person in a workout?

I really think my high impact days are numbered:(

I know my really high impact days are numbered, but I still want an intense cardio workout.

As much as I now dislike P90X, it is nice to see the guy with the prosthetic leg and the other modifier.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.