Cathe! New workout suggestion and praise for you!

goldenrun358

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I am going to make a suggestion based off of STS Total Body. But before I make a suggestion for a new workout, I have to sing the praises of STS TB first. I just finished the compound premix on this workout for the first time, and I have to say...it is AMAZING!! This is exactly what I have been looking for! I found this total body heavy weight workout to be efficient. There is not one wasted second of this workout. I felt as if ALL moves were working multiple muscles at once, which increased the intensity and gave me more bang for my buck! Before starting the premix, I thought it would be a remix of the same moves in the original workout; I can't tell you how pleasantly surprised I was when the chest/tricep and back work was completely different! And when I saw were going to be doing pull-ups--I was ecstatic. Talk about total body!!! This is definitely going to become something I reach for over and over. I loved the original...and now it has just been elevated to all time favorite!!

That being said, I bet you can guess what my suggestion is for upcoming workouts....more compound total body heavy weights PLEASE!

I want to maximize my time and MUSCLE/STRENGTH GAINS. I am thinking more power deadlifts, pull ups, squat presses, push ups, upright rows, dead rows, throw in some clean and presses, heavy dumbbell swings, pull up bars for hanging knees raises, mix in some burpees and mountain climbers for good measure and whatever you can think of to meet a goal of building muscle while getting an intense total body workout. I am thinking a three or four day split that will focus on heavy weights to build muscle, working in a superset/triset fashion to decrease rest periods, with little to no isolation moves. Another video that would be a good reference is cardio leg blast from xtrain where you mixed heavy weight work with cardio blasts--love this workout too!

Wrap all this up in a few workouts that are super intense and quick--under 45 min start to finish and I would be in heaven!! I need quick and efficient workouts; with a three year old, 6 month old, and full time job, I don't have ANY more than 45 min per day.

Cathe, I think you are the best there is! I recommend you to everyone I know and have been working out with you exclusively for about 8 or 9 years. I am so hoping for series along these lines!

Thanks for reading...you rock!

I have to agree that total body weight workouts are my favorite and that from which I seem to see the best results. I find that I am continually on the lookout for a good, intense total body weights workout. I think Cathe only has approximately five at most (that is-intense). I don't count a few of them that are only about 45 minutes.

I have to agree that total body weight workouts are my favorite and that from which I seem to see the best results. I find that I am continually on the lookout for a good, intense total body weights workout.

Me too! I try to mix it up but Cathe's hour long total body weight workouts are the ones that I keep going back to. Would LOVE to see more!

goldenrun358 - thanks for the tip on the Compound Premix on STS Total Body. I've overlooked it but now am planning on it this weekend.

I want to maximize my time and MUSCLE/STRENGTH GAINS. I am thinking more power deadlifts, pull ups, squat presses, push ups, upright rows, dead rows, throw in some clean and presses, heavy dumbbell swings, pull up bars for hanging knees raises, mix in some burpees and mountain climbers for good measure and whatever you can think of to meet a goal of building muscle while getting an intense total body workout.
Wrap all this up in a few workouts that are super intense and quick--under 45 min start to finish and I would be in heaven!! I need quick and efficient workouts; with a three year old, 6 month old, and full time job, I don't have ANY more than 45 min per day.

Excellent suggestion! All those big compound exercises are THE BOMB for building a super fit & strong body. I would love it if Cathe made more total body w/o's with the exercises you mentioned :eek:.

Love the post! I too would love this workout!

What would also be really great is if she had a little workout that had several steps for what to do to graduate to a pull-up. I've Youtubed this very question and found some techniques, but it would just be great if Cathe did the various workouts with you. I know that a lot of Cathletes out there can do pull-ups, but there are also a lot of us that have this as one of our major goals and could do with a little extra help.

Love the post! I too would love this workout!

What would also be really great is if she had a little workout that had several steps for what to do to graduate to a pull-up. I've Youtubed this very question and found some techniques, but it would just be great if Cathe did the various workouts with you. I know that a lot of Cathletes out there can do pull-ups, but there are also a lot of us that have this as one of our major goals and could do with a little extra help.

I found this tutorial to be very helpful:
pull up tips shawna k - YouTube
This incredible woman is 50yrs young!

It came from this website: Women CAN'T Do Pull-ups (Guest Post) » Nia Shanks (which is awesome, btw)

Also, a successful chin/pull up has a lot to do with grip strength. Most people are not aware of this. Another "tip" I found on youtube :).

HTH!

Thanks for those great links!! I've been using bands for my assisted pull-ups at the gym (and am down the tiniest/skinniest band - in fact all of the guys around watching keep telling me that since I can do a few pull-ups with this little band I probably can actually do a pull-up. They like to tell me it is all in my head - lot of help, guys)

And I have been practicing lowering myself really slowly, but I only recently started taking my weight off the band for the lowering part - so this video was really helpful! (Plus, I'm not sure I look up at the bar, and I haven't tried the kip thing. I've been stubborn and wanted to do it from a straight arm position, but I am going to try her tips tomorrow when I am at the gym.)

You are right, this woman is awesome! Glad to have the link to her blog as well. I will be forwarding this to my friends!

Thanks again!

sarah

I love the idea of a total body workout consisting of compound exercises done in a superset/giantset fashion.

I have been toying around with coming up with my own but it would pale in comparison to what Cathe could deliver.

I would love to have several of these or even just 1 with several premix options that make it feel like several different workouts.

I have recently bought bands to do assisted pull ups and would like to see more of these in workouts. I was hoping for like a 4 day split type package that would do it all in 4 days with a few days to rest and recover or add in something else! Would love this to be Cathe's next project!

I would love this too!

I didn't know about the pre-mixes on STS Total Body; I'll have to give this a try.

Cathe's the best!

Thank you for your kind words as well as your great suggestions.

Hi Cathe,

I am going to make a suggestion based off of STS Total Body. But before I make a suggestion for a new workout, I have to sing the praises of STS TB first. I just finished the compound premix on this workout for the first time, and I have to say...it is AMAZING!! This is exactly what I have been looking for! I found this total body heavy weight workout to be efficient. There is not one wasted second of this workout. I felt as if ALL moves were working multiple muscles at once, which increased the intensity and gave me more bang for my buck! Before starting the premix, I thought it would be a remix of the same moves in the original workout; I can't tell you how pleasantly surprised I was when the chest/tricep and back work was completely different! And when I saw were going to be doing pull-ups--I was ecstatic. Talk about total body!!! This is definitely going to become something I reach for over and over. I loved the original...and now it has just been elevated to all time favorite!!

That being said, I bet you can guess what my suggestion is for upcoming workouts....more compound total body heavy weights PLEASE!

I want to maximize my time and MUSCLE/STRENGTH GAINS. I am thinking more power deadlifts, pull ups, squat presses, push ups, upright rows, dead rows, throw in some clean and presses, heavy dumbbell swings, pull up bars for hanging knees raises, mix in some burpees and mountain climbers for good measure and whatever you can think of to meet a goal of building muscle while getting an intense total body workout. I am thinking a three or four day split that will focus on heavy weights to build muscle, working in a superset/triset fashion to decrease rest periods, with little to no isolation moves. Another video that would be a good reference is cardio leg blast from xtrain where you mixed heavy weight work with cardio blasts--love this workout too!

Cathe, I think you are the best there is! I recommend you to everyone I know and have been working out with you exclusively for about 8 or 9 years. I am so hoping for series along these lines!

Thanks for reading...you rock!

I like your thinking! Great suggestion. And I bet you are the one who brought up STS TB Compound pre-mix a bit ago. I did it shortly after & agree that it's awesome! By the time I get to the deadlifts my forearms are about to give but I love it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.