Bodybuilding/Sculpting check-in;-)

Hi Everyone,

Wod was 4ds segment High intensity step and Great Glutes. It was a challenging high rep Leg day.
Yesterday #rest day:):). I had tight hamstring and DOMS from Athletic training. It is unbelievable how effective a
simple band used for hamstring kickbacks could be!

Tom: Hope you get what you want (muscle mass) soon. It sounds like you have been longing for muscle mass for a while now
Are you hopping to gain both strength and muscle mass from Nia program? I believe this program is for 12 weeks and it
is the lower end of strength rep range 1-6 rep. I may give it a try some time in future. Just want to do other rep range
for now. That being said I am not looking to look as tiny as Nia:eek::):) regardless of what she is able to perform.
I am not aiming to look like her. One thing I have learned over years is to never aim to identically look like somebody
else. Each skeleton is different... i have to make the most of what I have. That's why I never chose a trainer based
on a visual look I am hammering my body for!!:p:p:pJMHO
According to what I heard she is strong and really good. I heard many very good comment years ago on this forum.

Jen: RIPT90 is a Beachbody workout. I did not know. Is it? I have read half of your review. Will read the rest.
Do you see yourself re-visiting it in future? Be strong fighting hunger. I am in this experiment with you.:);)
Not really an experiment for me cause I did it in the past without giving 100% focus and I lost few pound.
I fasted with no nutrition plan when I stopped travelling to France for work.
You can do it!:) My problem is evenings this is when it is going to be challenging for me.
So far so good. After 8 pm I should not be having any meal. I want to push it up to 7pm.

Svetlana: Hope you have had your Great Glutes now. I did it today and it is a challenging endurance workout.
it is great workout for working glutes without necessarily increasing the size of the legs.

SarBear Are you re-starting STS soon? what is your goal. At the moment I am doing high reps/ciruit and cardio
aiming to re-gain back a decent level of endurance before re-starting STS. After that I will do bodybuilding rotation.

That is all I have to share for now.

Happy Monday everyone;)
Nathalie I don't expect to gain much size since I am doing, for the most part, short sets with hopefully increasing weights. Bodybuilding usually involves lots of" fairly" long sets for hypertrophy. Power lifters usually shorter sets with heavy weights. Most power lifters don't bulk like bodybuilders, but are incredibly strong and explosive. I thought I would try this for 12 weeks and see if my lifts increase. I haven't done a lot of deadlifting, so I am interested in seeing how it goes. I am starting light with the idea of increasing the weight each week. I may actually lose some size (not crazy bout that) but if I have a stronger base it might make future size gains easier!

Nathalie I don't expect to gain much size since I am doing, for the most part, short sets with hopefully increasing weights. Bodybuilding usually involves lots of" fairly" long sets for hypertrophy. Power lifters usually shorter sets with heavy weights. Most power lifters don't bulk like bodybuilders, but are incredibly strong and explosive. I thought I would try this for 12 weeks and see if my lifts increase. I haven't done a lot of deadlifting, so I am interested in seeing how it goes. I am starting light with the idea of increasing the weight each week. I may actually lose some size (not crazy bout that) but if I have a stronger base it might make future size gains easier!

Shaking things up is good... :) :)

Today was the first time for Maximum Intensity Cardio. This one was not love at first sight like HSC. I didn't care for the first section. It just seemed like nonstop hopping! I actually liked the step portion better which may seem odd coming from someone so step adverse. For the most part, it was easy to follow, and I worked up more of a sweat here than in the first section. I absolutely loved the step blasts at the end, that was the best part and my favorite kind of step work! I think if I could combine the step work from MIC with the HiiT section from Intensity, it would be just the workout I was looking for.

Hello friends,

Jodi / Nathalie / Jen - Thanks for mentioning High Step Challenge. I must revisit it:)
I love all 3 of Cathe's High Step workouts , even though I use a creaky old stool instead of a high step.
Jodi, I haven't tried MIC.
Jen - thank you for the brilliant review of RIPT90. Now I know the negatives: a lot of repetition, no music, instructor not doing some exercises because they're too strenuous; wrong counts and sometimes incorrect fitness info provided.
I'm still interested in RIPT90 even though points 1 & 2 can be deal breaker for me.
Nathalie - I enjoyed Great Glutes a lot. My legs are weak today!
TSlop - you will surely become a strong Beautiful Badass

Yesterday I did Kelly Coffey-Meyer's TLC (Workout #1) and Cardio Blast (Plyo). I did Great Glutes in the afternoon.
Today I did RWH Upper Body Circuit (no blasts) and first half of Jari Love's Revved To The Max which is my favorite from Jari.

KCM's Your Best Body was shipped from Connecticut on 08 July 2015 . I didn't receive it yet. Cathe's DVDs ship free internationally (if order 50+USD) and I always get them in 5-6 w. days. Cathe is surely the best.

Kind greetings everyone!

This morning was Ultimatum Blue workout + Butt Bible Level 1 Lower. An all around great workout. I really liked Ultimatum. It was tough but not nearly as brutal as I assumed from previewing it. I got through it fine and got an excellent workout. I also thought Butt Bible Level 1 would be too easy but it was actually a very good workout! Not advanced or difficult, but I felt it. At only 20 minutes it was a perfect way to finish off a much more intense workout. Like a long cool down that actually works your muscles well!

Svetlana--there is actually music in RIPT90. I guess I should go back and edit that in. It is low key and generic. However, each DVD gives you the option of playing it with or without music.

Jodi--it's been a while since I've done MIC, but (for me at least) there is a dread factor! I find the first part really hard! Like an Insanity workout but one I can get through the entire thing w/out taking any personal breaks. I like the step portion a lot, too.

You guys are doing great!

I'm trying to restart again. I've had a really really bad week and a half. Emotionally shattered, mentally confused, and physically drained. It is getting better and I'm trying hard to balance everything so I need to get back to my workouts. I just need to muster up the energy and motivation.

This morning I did Supersets, upper body premix (the short one). Last week I did get in a yoga and a bike ride. The yoga made me a little sore haha. It was Travis Eliot's Ultimate Yogi Cross Training.

It's been such a bad year for me with workouts and it just won't stop. Thank goodness I've stuck to a good diet and I'm at a pretty good size/weight otherwise I'd be in a really bad mental state. I'm sure that sounds shallow but you know what what I mean. This check-in is a huge motivator for me. I need to really dig deep and just do it. I'm trying.

Svetlana, I hope your stressful life situation gets better {{hugs}}.

Everyone, keep up the good work! :D

Mary, so sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. It is good that you're doing some kind of workouts and having a little bit of focused "me" time. It will help you cope with all the stress going on right now. Keep up with what you're doing and know we are here to motivate and cheer you on. :)

Jen, what would be your opinion on the pacing of the workouts in RIPT90? Are the reps mostly single counts, two counts, etc? Are there any kind of breaks between exercises or does he jump right form one to the next? I haven't had a chance to preview any yet so I'd like to see what you think. A long time ago I did the cheap P90X imitation called Supreme 90. I liked some of the workouts, but the pace through most of the weight workouts was frantic, as if all the background exercisers were competing with each other to see who could get done the fastest. Not fun.

Anyone buy any of the new Ripped with HiiT or ICE tees yet? I am tempted! I think I'll keep watching the Daily Deals to see if I can pick up a cheap DVD at the same time.

Today was day 1 of week 2 of BBA simple strength 2. It consisted of deadlifts glute bridges and ab wheel roll outs I took my cell phone and took a video of my dead lift form. I did some extra sets to modify technique. I added 20# to last weeks. I will add weight quickly as I feel my technique improves enough to avoid injury. I decided to use more of a sumo style as it feels more comfortable. I did some modifying, using the video, and I think my technique is getting better.

Today was another "new" workout...Power Hour! ❤️❤️❤️❤️ Instant favorite!! It reminds me of Jari Love's Slim & Lean which I wore out back in the day. There was even a song from Slim & Lean in this workout! Just an awesome workout. Great, basic moves which totally burn out your muscles. I'd do a happy dance, but my legs are sore!

Hi gang!

Saturday's workout was Cardio Plyometrics. This was my first time doing one of the workouts from the Pretty Fierce Weight Loss Set. Going into it, I was a little concerned that it was going to be too easy (just because I've heard that PFWO is an easier system than Pretty Fierce Lean Out), but I was pleasantly surprised. It was a nice little workout.

Sunday I woke up and to my surprise my Ript90 set had arrived (thank you Amazon Prime)! I wasted no time diving into the new set. Sunday I did Minute by Minute. I normally never do the fitness test workouts that come with workout systems, but I decided to try this one for the heck of it. I was pleasantly surprised at what a good little metabolic workout it was! I normally have a lot of trouble doing the required # of pull-ups in other workout DVDs (even with my assist) because I tend to burn out really quickly, but since each circuit only included 5 pull-ups I was happily surprised that I could keep up. They were assisted pull-ups, but regardless I was just happy that I was able to make it through all 20 rounds of the circuit. I must have eaten my wheaties that day! :) I even was able to stay on my toes for all 20 sets of push ups (Cathe's GS chest workout had prepared me well for that one!). Since it's only a 20 minute workout, I jumped on my treadmill afterwards and walked for 40 minutes or so. My husband's work had a dinner function on Sunday evening that kept us out a little later than usual so I decided Monday would be a rest day and boy did I need it. I had DOMs all over from that little 20 minute workout! LOL.

Today I jumped back into things with Chest Shredder which I thought was another good workout. I wasn't sure if I was ready to tackle a lot of push-ups again after Sunday's workout, but I made it through. So far I'm really enjoying the workouts. Since I'm not a huge fan of cardio, I do like that these workouts are a bit more metabolic in nature.

Jen you did a great job reviewing this system--thank you so much for all the time you put into it. I love that you lay out the exercises and number of sets/circuits/etc. in your review because it was really nice going into today's workout already having an idea about how things would be laid out. I'm sure I'll be referring to your review a lot as I continue to work my way through the dvd's this week.

Nathalie-To be honest, I'm not sure what my goals are right now. I've been going through a stressful patch myself the last few months and right now am just trying my best to stay on track with consistently working out and not allowing the stress to get the best of me. Once things start to calm down, I'm hoping to get back into a more consistent rotation instead of hoping all over the place from workout to workout. I know some of you are planning STS this fall, perhaps by then I'll be where I can commit as well.

Mary-sending you positive thoughts and good vibes!!!!

This morning was Ultimatum White + Butt Bible Level 1 Upper. Another great workout. Ultimatum is easier than I expected (not easy--it just isn't brutal like I expected) and level 1 of the Butt Bible is more challenging than I expected. It's not hard, but using the proper dumbbells (not 3-5 pounders like Pauline and crew are using) it does a nice job polishing off another workout. I wouldn't use the level 1 workouts on their own, but they are perfect add ons.

Mary--I'm so sorry to hear you are going through a rough time. I hope things get better and soon!

Jodi--the tempo is mostly single counts, but not crazy fast. I did feel he went too fast on deadlifts to go as heavy as I'd like to go, but other exercises I felt the pace was adequate to be able to lift challenging dumbbells and complete all of the reps. And yes, he does give brief rests between exercises.

No, I'm not getting one of the new T-shirts. At least none yet. I have one Cathelette shirt and I like it better than the new shirts. If I were to get another Cathe T-shirt it would just be a Cathelette shirt in a different color!

SarBear--I am so impressed! That is 100 assisted pull ups! I had planned to work with my pull up assist more to get me prepped for STS but I haven't been doing that. Your post motived me to at least see how many I can do in a row with the assist and I was able to get out 10 this morning. But I cannot do them fast like they are done in RIPT90. I'll probably stick with the band option for Minute by Minute until I can do full pull ups fast (and that will probably never happen)--it takes too long to get my foot in and out of the assist, so that by the time I get to the squat, the next circuit will have already started--no rest time!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Jodi: I knew you were going to love Power Hour. It is a great workout.

Sarbear: Hope you manage to clear your head and do not let stress win! 100 pull up is impressive.
I should join you on this challenge.:). What I noticed with pull up is more often we do them
better and quicker we gain strength. So I need to do them consistently. Do it at your pace. In fact
I will be doing them slowly cause I need to build up the technique. It require a lot of focus.
Last time I did pull up was when I did STS. So I appreciate you sharing your 100 challenge with us.
you are motivating me.

Mary: Sorry to hear about how your feel about this year. Try to get up and running for fall so we can re-start STS.
I can not wait:)

Regarding t-shirt---Jen I like cathlete t-shirt too. I think I will get the brown in future. Will also get the ICE
one. Purple would match my fitness shoes.:) Jodi to reply to your question. I have not bought any y:)et.
I am not sure about the size I should get. i do not like baggy look on me. I do not want it too tight either.
Based on various review on the site, It would be wise for me to get the L one.

Tom: How is your form while executing deadlift. Are you happy with it? Have you had any review on your
form from any friend. :)

yesterday workout was PRS#1
Wod Pedal Max xtr 71 minutes and an hour yoga relax.

Svetlana: Yes cathe's 3 high step circuit are must have in my opinion.
They hardly get mentioned here on the forum but they are pure gems:):)
The one I like the most is HSC.

11 o'clock here buddies Good night;)

Last edited:
Another first-timer today...Interval Max (Imax?). I like this workout. It's not love yet because some of the step work had me flailing around like a goofball. I was drenched in sweat in the end and my legs are fried (all those plyo jacks!!) so I know if I can catch on to some of the step routines, it'll be awesome.

Hi gang!

Regarding the 100 pull-ups--please keep in mind they were assisted and were completed in sets of 5 with other exercises and a little rest in between. What would really be impressive is if I could do at least one pull-up unassisted! LOL. One of these days I will hopefully reach that goal! I got a ways to go though! :) And Jen you are right--they do move quickly from one exercise to another. Our chin-up tower is not located in a spot where I can just drop to the floor and do the pushups so I have to take a few extra steps (3-4) to get to some open space. Even though I wasn't walking far, it was enough for me to get off pace from Jody and his crew so I would just pause the DVD once I got down to do push ups. I'd then crank out my ten reps, hit play again, and join them for the squats.

Today I did Ript90's Metabolic Mania. From a heart rate standpoint, I found this workout to be easier than Sunday's Minute by Minute. I had to get to work early today so I only had time for this workout or else I would have tried running through the workout twice or perhaps would have added on another workout. Doing this workout once through just didn't seem like it was enough for the day. With a title like "Metabolic Mania" I guess I was just expecting a teeny bit more from it. And wow Jody, the trainer, really likes to include push-ups in every workout (well at least he has in the three workouts I've tried so far). After yesterday's chest shredder I wasn't sure I was ready for more push-ups, but thankfully I survived the spider man push-ups in this workout. Overall I did enjoy the workout, just wished that it was a little longer. I'll be better prepared next time to either extend the workout or double up.

Jodi-Yes, Imax! It's been forever since I've done that workout. What a great workout! Need to revisit that workout sometime soon.

Hi Everyone,

Jodi: I knew you were going to love Power Hour. It is a great workout.

Sarbear: Hope you manage to clear your head and do not let stress win! 100 pull up is impressive.
I should join you on this challenge.:). What I noticed with pull up is more often we do them
better and quicker we gain strength. So I need to do them consistently. Do it at your pace. In fact
I will be doing them slowly cause I need to build up the technique. It require a lot of focus.
Last time I did pull up was when I did STS. So I appreciate you sharing your 100 challenge with us.
you are motivating me.

Mary: Sorry to hear about how your feel about this year. Try to get up and running for fall so we can re-start STS.
I can not wait:)

Regarding t-shirt---Jen I like cathlete t-shirt too. I think I will get the brown in future. Will also get the ICE
one. Purple would match my fitness shoes.:) Jodi to reply to your question. I have not bought any y:)et.
I am not sure about the size I should get. i do not like baggy look on me. I do not want it too tight either.
Based on various review on the site, It would be wise for me to get the L one.

Tom: How is your form while executing deadlift. Are you happy with it? Have you had any review on your
form from any friend. :)

yesterday workout was PRS#1
Wod Pedal Max xtr 71 minutes and an hour yoga relax.

Svetlana: Yes cathe's 3 high step circuit are must have in my opinion.
They hardly get mentioned here on the forum but they are pure gems:):)
The one I like the most is HSC.

11 o'clock here buddies Good night;)
Nathalie..form needs some work, feels like I'm using mostly low back now. Gonna try some suggestions and see if it feels better over the bar

I love this check-in!
Sar Bear - congrats on your assisted pull ups. I didn't even try these:)
Mary - thank you, hugs! I hope to see the light at the end of this tunnel soon.
Fortunately, I have my children and fitness DVDs. Today I wondered why I don't do KCM's Complete Cardio Sculpting more often, it is so great! Because I'm lucky :) I have so many wonderful DVDs that I have no time to do them.
Nathalie - I will soon revisit High Step Circuit which Cathe considers intermediate. I didn't find it too easy previous time. I'm curious what intensity I can expect from ICE series :)
You seem to manage complicated choreography (PRS1 etc). My noble envy for you! Yesterday I attempted again Cathe's Step Blast, which has a great music, is effective and the participants look so gracious. Gave up after 7 minutes....I wish I could follow.
Tslop - You gave me great idea to record my form doing deadlifts.:)
I used to avoid them due to scoliosis. Deadlifts stopped hurting when I got stronger but I never go heavy. May be if my form is OK I can add weight.

My workouts yesterday: AM - Turbo Fire Hiit 25, KCM Plateau Buster W/o #2
PM - Super Cuts and Jessica Smith Cardio Abs w/o #1.
Today I did the step portion from Cathe's Cardio Fusion DVD and KCM's Complete Cardio Sculpting . Planned doubles is w/o #2 from Cardio Abs and the abs workout from her Better Body Blast. CA and BBB are among the harder Jessica Smith workouts.

Take care everyone :)

Last edited:
This morning was another Ultimatum--Bronze workout. I really liked this one a lot. I've actually loved all of the ones I've done so far. Challenging but not killer. They are all lots of fun (IMHO). This one was bodyweight strength + cardio. I finished it up with Stretchmax #3.

SarBear--what is Ruthless? Should I know what this is?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.