Bodybuilding/Sculpting check-in;-)

I have been listing to Chalene Johnson's podcasts and I am about to finish a 2 parter on intermittent fasting. I have never had any interest in this before, but now after listening to the podcasts I am rethinking this way of eating as a lifestyle. Has anyone done this? Researched it? Thoughts?

I have done this for a short period of time. I felt I could not implement it as a lifestyle.
I do not think it is feasible. It work to get swift last 10-15 pound maximum:)

That link really didn't give much information--except she lost a lot of weight! I have seen that the topic has come up but I don't spend a lot of time reading posts here (other than this check in), plus I haven't been interested in IF until recently so I never bothered to read it. I am interested enough now, however, that I bought a book about the science behind it. The podcast talks a lot of science and I want to study it and see the bibliography to make sure its credible but if IF is all they say it is, it is the best way to lose body fat and to easily maintain a lower body fat.

Not sure it's something I would practice in long term. I am sure a conventional diet high protein diet would help.

I am more interested in carb cycling. That being said, I can't do anything a part from stil eat clean. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to discuss food intolerance and allergy. She's going to tell me about cashew nut. I think I am allergic to eat. :-(
I like cashew nuts.

Sorry I have not been much of help for you jen. I have a book as well.

Envoyé de mon D5503 en utilisant Tapatalk

Will share further thoughts tomorrow on this tomorrow. There is a way to use fasting to shed some fat. Will post tomorrow.

20 to midnight here. ;-)

Envoyé de mon D5503 en utilisant Tapatalk

Hi friends,
Jen - I read your excellent review of the Anarchy workout twice. Thank you for your blog!
You are truly inspirational advanced exerciser in spite of the iron in your feet. I knew your story from before..and I'm getting angry to the drunk driver.
I practiced something similar to intermittent fasting 16/8 in the past month. (No food till 9 PM for religious reasons). I didn't eat clean during my non-fast time with chocolate , waffles and cookies being my main diet. I lost 4-5 pounds. I know I will regain the weight to my usual 120-121 lbs , so not sure how works in the long term. Hope this may be useful.
Tom - Way to go! From what I read, I don't think Nia Shanks' program is for women only. Please keep us posted on your impressions about the program
Nathalie - I feel for you about the food allergies. I have a bunch of ( non-food) allergies - the sun, the dust, the polens, the insects. Zyrtec and Otrivin factories love me
It's impressive you've been PT certified twice!
Jodi - MMA Boxing was just the right intensity for me yesterday, thank you ;)

Today's workouts: The leg conditioning segments from Cathe's Kick Max & Barre from Xtrain Legs
The core segments from MMA Kickboxing and MMA Fusion
KCM Stepboxing Workout #1 and TurboFire Hiit 20
Slide & Glide -stretch only

Have a nice evening!

Last edited:
Hi all! Today I did Pure Barre's Pure Results Feature Focus: Abs. When I bought the DVDs, they came with a year's access to the videos online. Never thought I would use them, but they are great for this week away. I worked out very early again just to be sure I got some exercise in. It wasn't that bad, and I loved knowing it was done for the day.

Jen, I got the e-mail for your review but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Hopefully later this evening I will.

Tom, I'm also interested to hear what you think of Nia Shanks. I know a lot of people on here really like her stuff.

Svetlana, glad I jogged your memory for MMA! My upper body and abs are sore from that and Pyramid and today's ab work. Tomorrow will be just cardio as long as I have time to get a workout in.

I have been listening to Chalene Johnson's podcasts and I am about to finish a 2 parter on intermittent fasting. I have never had any interest in this before, but now after listening to the podcasts I am rethinking this way of eating as a lifestyle. Has anyone done this? Researched it? Thoughts?

Ive been listening to Chalene's podcasts as well. And I can honestly say since listening to her I've been more focused and organized as it relates to my business goals. I started listening to the intermittent fasting podcast and fell asleep. Since you've mentioned it, I think I'll
listen to it tomorrow at work.

Hello! Thanks everyone for your input. I am not jumping into any fasting, but I am interested enough to educate myself. So we'll see!

This morning was RIPT90 Back Breaker and Shoulder Pressure. Holy #$%&. Wow. These are some awesome workout. I have a lot of nitpicks, but overall, the 3 I have done are very good and effective workouts. My hamstrings are sore from yesterday's Deadlift Killer and my back and shoulders are already aching from this morning's workout. Briefly--Jodi has you do 72 pull ups (I used bands instead of doing pull ups--so modified), 100 bent over rows, 50 renegade rows, 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 75 overhead presses, 75 upright rows. Those are just the high # reps--he had us do other shoulder and back exercises--just less reps. BTW--you don't do them all at once. You do them in circuits, but by the end that is your you final rep count. Planned doubles is RIPT90 Metabolic Mania.

healing11--I am really enjoying Chalene's podcast--I am finding the IF one riveting! But I am always interested in research on health and fitness--especially when it goes against what is commonly preached. I have read a lot about it and I do know that much of what is preached is based on one or 2 studies that have been quoted for more than a decade--and they weren't even well done studies! So I am always interested in hearing about what is being researched now and the results--as well as how the studies were conducted. Which is why I want to know more behind the research on IF and how these theories were developed.

Svetlana--I can't beleive I missed your comment to me. I think it's because I was focusing on what you said about IF! I sometimes get mad about the drunk driver. Usually when the pain is bad. But I am mostly thankful that I recovered enough to lead a fairly normal life. Vacations will never be the same and that makes me sad.

I made myself get up early again this morning to make sure I got in my workout. Today I did cardio from an app called Daily Workouts. You can piece together cardio intervals to make up your own workout. The intervals are a mix of high and low impact and I'd say the intensity is moderate. Got a great sweat on, and it was a nice start to the day.

This eating out so much is just no fun! Breakfast at the hotel is the best meal as they have a wide range of choices, many being healthy. Have not been so lucky with lunch and dinner!

Jen, RIPT90 sounds tough! I need to figure out when I'm going to try it.

Today of Nia BBA consisted of 3 sets of deadlifts 4 sets of glute bridges(do guys REALLY do these??) and 4 sets of ab rollers....that's it! I feel like I am getting away with something, but I think when I get my weights figured out It will get tougher. And I think future sets in the other phases incorporate more reps. I will add some finishers as I go once I get used to the rotations. Tomorrow is an off day and I will have to figure something to do that won't interfere with the 2 following days, maybe (gasp!! cardio??)...NAW...I think NOT!

Today of Nia BBA consisted of 3 sets of deadlifts 4 sets of glute bridges(do guys REALLY do these??) and 4 sets of ab rollers....that's it! I feel like I am getting away with something, but I think when I get my weights figured out It will get tougher. And I think future sets in the other phases incorporate more reps. I will add some finishers as I go once I get used to the rotations. Tomorrow is an off day and I will have to figure something to do that won't interfere with the 2 following days, maybe (gasp!! cardio??)...NAW...I think NOT!

Hi Tom,

Here is the answer. Guys/Blokes should do glute bridge too:D

As I suspected, my back is sore from Back Breaker. The double I did yesterday--Metabolic Mania was tough and awesome. So far I am really impressed with this program! This morning was RIPT90 Leg Overhaul. I finished it off with two 10 Minute Torchers. Planned doubles is RIPT90 Death by Thruster. Leg Overhaul wasn't as impressive as the other RIPT90 workouts I've done so far but it does the job. I think it will be especially efficient when paired with Dead-Lift Killer, but on it's own it's just meh.

Jodi--at least you're making the effort! Minimizing the damage by doing something, right?

That link really didn't give much information--except she lost a lot of weight! I have seen that the topic has come up but I don't spend a lot of time reading posts here (other than this check in), plus I haven't been interested in IF until recently so I never bothered to read it. I am interested enough now, however, that I bought a book about the science behind it. The podcast talks a lot of science and I want to study it and see the bibliography to make sure its credible but if IF is all they say it is, it is the best way to lose body fat and to easily maintain a lower body fat.

You have not missed anything reading it. Forum is just full of personals!!!

You will get more info from the book. I have my book somewhere in my storage.
There is info on fitness rx. Let me know If necessary I will look it up.

When I did it, my cardio were done while fasting. I prefer doing cardio early in the morning fasting anyway.
For days I had to lift I was lifting later during the early evening. I do not really like working evening.
I just made sure I was not catching up in calories breaking up the fasting cycle.:):)

Last 3 days workout

Wednesday: Low impact challenge from LIS Series
Thursday: Rest---Doctors!
Today: I did 4DS kickboxing segment and KCM Powersculpting. I had a good workout.
I do have mixed opinion about few moves though. I did my own modification

Jen You were right I do own powersculpting. It is the second segment from LIFT dvd. I have
enjoyed LIFT more and have visited it I believe at least three time.
Ript90 look intense.:):)

Svetlana: Every summer I have to face hayfever and this year food allergie and intolerance just took a toll!
Any way now I know for sure that I can no longer eat cashew and almond butter. No nut at ALL a part
from coconut. I have to be carefull about thickners as well. Vegetable oil, Soya, lecithin found in various packages.
Now my doctor confirmed these allergies have caused energy slump within the day. I was feeling
sick sometimes. three more days medication and I am done. Basically I have eat SUPER SUPER Clean!

Slide and Glide stretch is one of my favourite...Love it.:):)

Tom: I too am looking forward to review on Nia Program...I am not looking to move trucks;):D. Never say never
but I may change my mind. I am very happy with a balance pack such as STS with some hypertrophy focus.
That being said I am not looking to increase size. I am happy with the current mass. I am just looking to improve
and gain a better body composition and gain more definition, flexibility, endurance and better VO2max.
I will do a strength cycle later.

That is all I have to share today.

Will report more tomorrow;)

Last edited:
Hello! Thanks everyone for your input. I am not jumping into any fasting, but I am interested enough to educate myself. So we'll see!

This morning was RIPT90 Back Breaker and Shoulder Pressure. Holy #$%&. Wow. These are some awesome workout. I have a lot of nitpicks, but overall, the 3 I have done are very good and effective workouts. My hamstrings are sore from yesterday's Deadlift Killer and my back and shoulders are already aching from this morning's workout. Briefly--Jodi has you do 72 pull ups (I used bands instead of doing pull ups--so modified), 100 bent over rows, 50 renegade rows, 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 75 overhead presses, 75 upright rows. Those are just the high # reps--he had us do other shoulder and back exercises--just less reps. BTW--you don't do them all at once. You do them in circuits, but by the end that is your you final rep count. Planned doubles is RIPT90 Metabolic Mania.

healing11--I am really enjoying Chalene's podcast--I am finding the IF one riveting! But I am always interested in research on health and fitness--especially when it goes against what is commonly preached. I have read a lot about it and I do know that much of what is preached is based on one or 2 studies that have been quoted for more than a decade--and they weren't even well done studies! So I am always interested in hearing about what is being researched now and the results--as well as how the studies were conducted. Which is why I want to know more behind the research on IF and how these theories were developed.

I listened to the IF podcast yesterday. This is actually the same information that was taught when I was studying natural health back in the "90's. Except it wasn't called IF it was just viewed as following the natural rhythms of the body. In the morning, they taught to eat fruit to break the fast and further the digestive cleaning cycle, followed by well balanced lunch and dinner with proper food combinations. They also made it clear that eating should stop by a certain time based on the seasons. I think it was 5pm in the fall/winter months and 7pm in the spring/summer months, due to longer days. I followed those principles for years and was actually quite slim and energetic. I got off track and discovered that listening to so many nutritional views works against me and makes eating more complicated. Actually what I just described is how it was for me growing up. My parents didn't allow us to eat after certain hours. Once my mom cleaned the kitchen it was closed after dinner and we ate dinner early and only had dessert twice a week Thursdays and Sundays. Me and all of my siblings were slim and healthy with no digestive issues and rarely sick as kids. Thanks for your post, it makes me realize that maybe I should incorporate what has worked in the past and not reinvent the wheel.

I listen to a Chalene podcast daily. Loved sustainable fitness with Tony Horton. Check it out if you get a chance.

This morning I did Pure Barre's Pure Results Feature Focus: Seat. My quads are very sore! I'm thinking that the cardio from yesterday really burned them out and the extra walking around after our meetings probably has contributed as well. Leaving tomorrow...looking forward to getting home!

I am thoroughly surprised and impressed with RIPT90. For $30 this is a steal. This morning was Arm Annihilator--burned my biceps out. I followed it up with 2 upper body focused 10 Minute Torchers and my arms are aching. Planned doubles is RIPT90 Dirty Dozen, which I am now afraid of. Yesterday's doubles was Death by Thruster and WOW. That was brutal. 4 different thruster varieties. By the end of the workout you have done 225 thrusters. Use the right weights and you are getting a metabolic strength/HIIT workout.

Nathalie--thanks, but I have a lot of information on IF now. I have been poring over it all week and I have decided it is worth a try. I also do fasted training every morning. I get up at 4:20am and workout for an hour on an empty stomach, but I eat and drink a protein shake within an hour of finishing. According to what I've been reading, if I really want to burn fat, I need to go longer after training before I eat. Which works with the 8 hour window I am going to go with--I won't eat until 5 hours after I finish training. I ordered some calorie free BCAAs to drink after I workout to help recover the muscles until I finally eat. We'll see how it goes. I am going to give it a week trial. I think next week is a good week for it, too. I am working overtime and doing Ultimatum. So fasting and intense metabolic training should burn some fat.

healling11--thanks for the info and the suggestion! Chalene has so many podcasts and since I am new to them I have been picking and choosing. I found the one with Tony Horton and downloaded it--I actually started it this morning on my way to work. Also, that has been my first step--prepping me to try this fasting. After dinner I stop eating. Normally I have a very low calorie snack about an hour after dinner, but this week I have eaten nothing after I finish dinner. Even if the 16/8 doesn't work for me I think it's a good idea to close the kitchen after dinner anyway.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.