Bodybuilding/Sculpting check-in;-)

Hi Everyone,

Wow...extreme premix from cycle max 80 minutes. As you can imagine, my legs feels like exhausted.
I need extra stretch before bed.:rolleyes::eek::eek:

Jen: I am looking forward to upcoming reviews: ultimatum and anarchy.

I have not heard from Mary recently, hope she is well.
Ladies did you read today's newsletter, cathe's newsletter.
I liked the article on what exercise to perform to gain a strong and better looking :p:p rear (how to gain a developped glute muscle) without increasing thighs size:eek::eek:. Very helpful as far as training smart is concerned;) So Yes definitely we can increase the size.

If you did not here it is:

http://cathe.com/can-you-build-glutes-without-increasing-the-size-of-your-thighs

Today I invaded the local YMCA and did Back day!! Did 3 sets of pull ups, 1 narrow. 2 wide. 3 sets of lat pulldowns 3 sets of dumbbell rows. I finished with 3 sets of dumbbell curls and a set of inclined sit ups. Then off to swim with the grandkids!!!

Hello friends,
Yesterday I did Turbo Fire Hiit 15 + Turbo Fire 30. Thanks , Sarbear for the idea! My 12 year old daughter Monika always joins me when she hears the music in Turbo Fire and we had great fun.
Nathalie good job for completing 80 minutes of Cyclemax. Thank you for posting the web link, I wouldn't read it otherwise . Cathe is such a fitness expert, she is amazing!
Jodi - today I did the 20-minute Upper Body and Lower Body add-ons from Cathe's Basic Step & Body Fusion DVD. If these are included in your DVD, I highly recommend them for days when you are not motivated to exercise. Cathe's demeanor is so sweet and extra-encouraging here. The Basic Step is my go-to when I'm sick but still able to move . It raises the mood and I think you can sub the treadmill with it next time:)
Cardio & Weights has some of the best music on a workout video ever!
Tom - good job for working out and swimming with the grandkids. You are one cool granddad.
Jen - take your time reviewing the new DVDs. Your reviews are brilliant.

In addition to the add ons, today I did the abs ball workout from Butts & Guts, the 1st workout from Kelly Coffey-Meyer's Circuit Burn and the Combos segment & stretch from Cathe's Rockout Knockout.

Have a nice day / night everyone!

In addition to the ME UB premix, I also did Hardcore Arms & Abs from Ruthless.

Jen, thanks for all the links. Ultimatum looks interesting, but I'm never t sure I could handle hearing her breathing during an entire workout. It was bugging me with just watching the short clip!

Svetlana, thanks for the extra info on Basic Step and Cardio & Weights. Now I just need to find the time to check them out!

Tom, sounds like you're having fun! I'm curious, is your wife into working out at all? My hubby has no interest but he respects my dedication so all is good.

In addition to the ME UB premix, I also did Hardcore Arms & Abs from Ruthless.

Jen, thanks for all the links. Ultimatum looks interesting, but I'm never t sure I could handle hearing her breathing during an entire workout. It was bugging me with just watching the short clip!

Svetlana, thanks for the extra info on Basic Step and Cardio & Weights. Now I just need to find the time to check them out!

Tom, sounds like you're having fun! I'm curious, is your wife into working out at all? My hubby has no interest but he respects my dedication so all is good.
Jodi..no she isn't. She had a knee replacement in Jan and will have the other next year. Her arthritis would make it tough, but she does water aerobics twice a week and that does help!! That's why I am so happy that women are encouraged to get involved in sports now. When she grew up in Nebraska, they didn't have high school sports, and I think now girls lift for sports, and they carry those fundamentals into adult life and know how to work out. Even as a male high school athlete, We didn't really lift, we just would throw a barbell around once in awhile

This morning was PeakFit Challenge Cardio Strength 1.

Nathalie--I did read Cathe's newsletter (I always look forward to it on Mondays!). I knew they were going to list the glute bridges/hip thrusts--I got great results from her Xtrain 100 Rep Challenge glute thrusts. I always think I need to add that on to other lower body workouts but never do. The other exercise (can't remember the name used in the article but I always think of it as a pizza press since Cathe calls it that in her workouts) doesn't surprise me! She burns me out with her floor work every time. All of those lower body exercises done in tabletop position leave my glutes screaming.

tslop49--sounds like you are doing great keeping up the workouts while on vacation! You're doing much better than I ever do on vacation!

Svetlana--you are making me want to do some TurboFire. I haven't done it in awhile. Those workouts have the best music--so motivating. Chalene is, too. I just discovered her podcast and have been listening to it on my commute. I am really enjoying it. Especially since I am not liking Jillian Michael's podcasts as much since Janice left. I always knew I liked Janice, and even tho she was the producer, it was Jillian's show, so I didn't think she had so much control but clearly she did. Jillian's podcast is a mess now IMHO. I am going to listen to a few more than I think I may just unsubscribe--which makes me sad. I have been listening to her podcast for years--ever since she started it. I also discovered Shaun T's podcast. Only listened to one, so I haven't formed an opinion yet, but I think I like it.

Jodi--I noticed Lindsi's heavy breathing while making the workout cards! It is very irritating but also backs up what tough workouts they are. They leave her gasping for air. We'll see how much it bothers me when I actually do the workouts. If a workout is good enough and I really like it and the trainer, I get into the zone and can ignore a lot; or, rather than ignore, my brain stops even noticing it. It has to be a good workout tho. These look really good, I like Lindsi, the only drawback might be the generic music. I think she uses the same song for every workout.

Jodi--my husband had no interest in working out either but I guess when you spend enough years with someone some of the things you say seep in like osmosis. I have preached to him and my kids that exercise is more than staying lean and looking good--it is not something you do just to lose weight. It is a way of life and respecting your body. It is a mental thing--it makes you feel better, think better, it makes you metabolize food better, it keeps your joints young, your heart and lungs young, even your skin young! It's the #1 thing you can do to prevent type 2 diabetes. It is one of the most important things you can do for yourself. He used to never exercise but now, even tho he claims to hate it, he has been working out for the past year. He's not like me, trying to get in 2 workouts a day, but he does workout 3-4 times a week. That makes me happy.

Hello,

Nathalie - my sister thinks my muscle definition is "too much". She practices ballet where everyone must be skinny. I'm a kickboxing / boxing / Hiit addict. I need strong muscles in everyday life and to prevent injury while doing cardio. I'll be visiting sis and my 40-day old nephew in the end of this week yay.
Jodi - my husband doesn't workout which he should because he is 330 + lbs. But he doesn't stop me from working out, so all is fine.
Jen - Turbo Fire, go for it! ;) I love the Music Pumped option, and use the substitles for some of her funny motivation.
Unlike many others I don't like Michele Dozois' Peak 10 / Peak Challenge Series. Her motivation is not my style ("Look at XXX, she lost 10 pounds while doing this program!" Or "Here is my crew to motivate you" - sounds like, the workout exerciser can't be as fit as her crew) . I kept only Pure Cardio, Anywhere Anytime and Peak 10 Interval Burn. I prefer Michelle's voice in her older DVDs . The Cardio Strength ones are bad for my back. Just sharing ...You do enjoy them !

Today I did the ankle weights section from Cathe's Legs & Glutes (great!) and the resistance loop section from KCM's Split Sessions (pretty nice).
The abs sections from 10 MS Belly, Butt and Thigh Toners & Kickbox Bootcamp.

Warm regards to everyone,

Back to the Y today for shoulders. 4 sets of dumbbell presses, 3 sets of side laterals, 3 sets of heavy dumbbell rows, a long set of heavy shrugs 50 pushups and 3 minute planks. Svetlana, I'm with you, a ballet physique is not a balanced physique, and,heaven forbid,they need an upper body for something because you can't toe point your way out of everything!! (Wow, that was harsh)...sorry sis

Today I tried Intensity again and felt better about the step portion. It was nowhere near perfect, but definitely better.

Tom, water aerobics is great exercise. Good for her for staying active even with bad knees. Svetlana and Jen, I wish my husband would be interested, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. He's an engineer at a bakery plant (they make the buns for McDonald's, of all places!) and he works long hours on his feet. He usually gets in well over 10,000 steps a day. Couple that with a hot Mississippi summer and an even hotter massive oven to work around, and he's exhausted by the end of the day. (He gets so mad when I complain about how cold our offIce gets!). He has adopted some of my healthier eating habits so I'll take that little bit for now.

Resistance loop section in Split Sessions...Svetlana, you have peaked my interest. I love working with a loop!

Happy Wednesday folks! Sorry I haven't had a chance to check-in in several days. Was hoping life would slow down a bit after all of last month's traveling, but alas it has not. Even our weekends have been jam packed with activities. Been running myself ragged trying to keep up with everything and thus have been running on little sleep which is no fun. Because of this, I still have not been able to get back into a regular cadence with working out. Things will hopefully slow down soon so I can get back into my normal routine. Saturday I did chest workout blended from S&H and GS. Sunday-I focused on triceps blended from the same two workouts. Monday and Tuesday ended up being rest days due to me being up later than normal and getting little sleep. :-( Despite my best efforts I was still up working late last night, but I refuse to take another rest day so this morning I'm up early to work shoulders (blended from S&H and GS again). My goal today is to get to bed at a decent hour. I cannot keep running on such little sleep like I have been doing. I just don't function well being this busy, lol. Something needs to change asap. I'm running out of steam.

Hope everyone has a great day!

I'm quickly checking in today. I'll try to catch up reading soon. {I'm so far behind, but I'll enjoy it.} :D

Yesterday I started up again!!! High Reps - Upper Body. Since the premix skips Back, I play the whole workout and just skip the legs sections. This morning I did High Reps - Lower Body. It was so hard getting up to do it this morning!

Today was Y leg day. I will be glad to get back to my "dungeon of doom" I can grunt,swear, throw stuff etc!! No waiting, just fun,fun,fun! Anyway, 2 sets of squats, 3 sets of static lunges,2 sets of Sumo squats 2 sets of dumbbell deadlifts and 3 sets of single toe raises. Finished with a set of pull ups. Still have chest and arm day remaining to survive "group atheletica" I would like to think I Would still lift if I didn't have my own stuff, but I really like the lone wolf approach. Don't wear much Underarmor at home!! Happy iron tossing all!

Hey Mary and SarBear! Good to hear from you! Mary, a little hint about High Reps...if you do the premix which is upper body first, you get the back section included. Once upper body is done, you can skip to the stretch. How's the basement coming along? SarBear, I hope you can get some much needed sleep/rest soon!

Today I did Tracy Effinger's Squeeze Lower Body Challenge and P57's Advanced Express 30 minute Full Body Workout. My legs are fried!

Hello Mary! I knew you couldn't stay away from working out! It's hard! At least for people who have made it such an ingrained habit!

Yesterday I did Pure Strength Legs & Abs and this morning was Pure Strength Back, Biceps & Abs + Weider Ruthless #15 Drip.

Svetlana--I don't get that vibe at all from Michelle Dozois. IMHO she is just pointing out the great results you can get from that type of training--metabolic weight training. And she is right. With proper diet, there truly is no better and more efficient way to shed fat than metabolic weight training--which is what her cardio strength workouts are.

SarBear--a chest blend between S&H and GS sounds brutal! Is you chest screaming?

Hi all,
Tom - I took your advise and tossed iron today :) I mixed Burn Sets (for Back, Shoulders, Triceps) , Gym Style CT (for Chest) and KCM's Muscle Definition (for Biceps). My upper body feels strong, happy and tired.
SarBear - your Gym Style & Slow and Heavy premixes sound tough. You made me interested to give another chance to S&H. Completing the 72 push ups in GS CT are my biggest fitness achievement
Mary - happy to have you back. How does your new workout room look like?
Jodi - the resistance loop bonus in KCM's Split Sessions is 16 minutes long. It works the lower body and lower back. As usual, Kelly offers original twists on exercises and the music is pleasant. I use the loop segment most from this DVD ;)
The two 30-minute main workouts (Lower & Upper Body ) use dumbbells . I like Kelly's workouts because they give me sufficient challenge without too much substituting. My heaviest weights are 18-19 lbs and I don't have space (and money) for barbell / heavier dumbbells.
Jen - you convinced me to give Peak 10 another chance. I'll take Anytime Anywhere and Pure Cardio while I'm out of home visiting grandmom & sister during the Dubai holidays.

Yesterday's cardio - Cardio Leg Blast (blasts premix) and Cardio Kicks (blasts).

Enjoy your day amigos!

Today was chest day at the Y. Did 8 sets of bench, 3 sets of incline flys 2 sets of dumbbell incline bench and finished with 2 sets of dumbbell curls and 3 sets of inclined sit ups. Not crowded so that was nice Cooled off in the pool with the grandkids!! My youngest is 5 today, so we will be "partying on" at Joe's Crab Shack tonight(his choice, not mine) Official party is Saturday with friends. Svetlana, if I did all that, I would be DEAD, not strong!! Keep up the good work everyone!

Thanks for the warm greetings! I feel more back-to-normal, even with DOMS (the good kind). All last week was clean up from the basement-clean-up project and then cooking and preparations for my daughter's graduation party in our backyard on Sunday. That was exhausting! Monday evening we moved the TV from the living room to the basement. We bought a new bigger one for the living room. Tuesday morning I set up the Bose speakers and Voila! I got to do my first workout in my new workout space! Cathe, of course.

This morning I did AfterBurn Express premix (single intervals 1-10). It was my first Cathe cardio workout since my knee injury in January. My knee felt fine but my endurance level has decreased. I don't think I could've made it through the whole regular workout!

Jodi, thanks for the tip about High Reps UB. I'll do that next time. All the basics are in place in the basement and, like you, I just reorganized my DVDs so I can see them all now. That's so much better. I brought them down to the first floor (2nd floor was the old workout room); I'm not planning on storing them in the basement. In fact, I didn't paint the basement floor as I thought I would, maybe in the future though. I'd like to see how the humidity level holds up for a year. It's good right now with the dehumidifier running 24/7. I think it will be drier in the fall and winter. We placed 7 4'x6' dense rubber horse stall mats on the floor, 100 lbs each. It's wonderful for the heavy weights but a little hard so I used a piece of carpet for core yesterday and for sliding discs this morning. I love the big open space! I gotta admit, I'm so glad to get back to my routine but it's incredibly hard to get down there first thing in the morning! I've gotten lazy. Now I'd like my son or husband to build some dumbbell racks to get the dumbbells off the mats.

Sarbear, I hope you get the rest you need. Just remember it's ok to take time off from workouts if you need it.

Jen, Pure Strength is my newest Cathe workout. I look forward to trying it soon. My daughter has been doing Ruthless lately. She likes Steve (so do I). :D

Svetlana, I have a few of Michelle D's workouts and I look at them with dread. I think I need to be in better shape for them! I'll have to give her another chance. Maybe by next year...? Now KCM, I always love Kelly! Wow, you sure do some nice hardcore workouts!

Tom, I'm envious of your partying at Joe's Crab Shack. I love dining on fish and seafood in Florida, so so good! Of course I'm from Wisconsin known for cheese, beer and brats. I'd give it all up for seafood (and sushi) any day.

Nathalie, thanks for continuing to post article links! You remind me to go read them. :D Glutes are something I should think about working on more.

Today was Muscle Max UB premix again. Just love this workout, and now I can't stop singing "it's the rhythm of the night..."

Mary, I am so envious of your dedicated workout space! Someday I will have my very own workout room! Afterburn is such a tough workout. You should be proud of yourself for doing as much as you did.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.