Body Beast

My DVD's finally arrived today - I'm so excited!!!:eek: I'm starting tomorrow and have 3 weeks for the magic to work before my vacation! LOL!! OK maybe if I stay away from tim hortons new oreo donuts some magic will happen!:p
Jamie

So, I read all the reviews about Body Beast, and I decided to purchase. I previewed the chest and tricep workout last night. This guy is hilarious. Some of the statements he made were hysterical. I don't know if I can do this rotation. I will be laughing so much, I might drop a dumbbell on my face. But that said, I am looking forward to it. Keep in mind, I'm a cheap date. Easily amused. You may not find him funny at all. Just sayin.;)

Last edited:
Yes, he is 'funny' when he calls the other dudes honey and sweetie.:eek::confused:

I liked the program, especially the pyramids. However, I did lose flexibility and cardio endurance with it. I didn't add anything to the program and did it as instructed. The next time, I would add cardio and stretching or yoga. Since the workouts are relatively short, adding in these other 2 components would be doable. I would add in a cathe stretch (from any of her various DVD's) after doing a beast workout.

Well I did D+1 chest/ tris and really enjoyed it once I figured out the best weight selection. Sagi is so funny saying "the beast can count backwards" I almost fell off my stability ball!:D I did add Cathe's Hiit 30/30 after and felt really good post workout. Can't wait for legs tomorrow....ok I'm actually a bit frightened...:eek:
Jamie

Are the exercises okay for women? Not too much traps and upper body work and too little leg? Just wanted to know it wont turn me into an upside down triangle....P90X sort of did that.

Cupcake, I didn't get the triangle effect that you described from doing P90X, but I think I get what you mean---lots of push-ups and pull-ups in P90X and the leg work was minimal (and boring, since there is only one leg DVD). I think Body Beast is much more balanced and works all muscle groups in a more well-rounded fashion. The exercises are definitely suitable for women...I don't really know of any exercises that aren't suitable for women. I just add more cardio because, as I said in an earlier post, I need my cardio fix!

As far as leg routines go, Body Beast has TWO leg videos and they are exclusively for legs (no pull-ups involved like P90X). Nobody knows how to work the legs like Cathe, though, so there are times when I will do a Cathe leg DVD instead for the variety and because I miss Cathe. ;)

This is a great thread. I still haven't received Body Beast (it was supposed to arrive yesterday but as of this morning the tracking info has changed to "unknown" as to when it will be delivered:() but when I finally receive it and start putting together my Body Beast rotation this thread has given me a lot of ideas. I will supplement with additional stretching and cardio. I have an hour to workout in the mornings, so the length of the workouts makes it perfect for all kinds of add ons. Plus, at least from what I can gather, the workout schedule doesn't have you working out 7 days a week, so I can add in a yoga day, too. But I will use Cathe's stretches and core work as add ons--also, for cardio there is her X10, Tabatacise, TTM and CF tabata/HIIT premixes + I have Zuzuka's cardio and strength workouts (all under 20 minutes), Bob Harper's Skinny Rules WODs (also all under 20 minutes), Mindy Mylrea;s HIIT/tabata collections and other short, intense cardio (TurboFire HIITs)--all of which could help round out the workouts to about an hour. So I think I can really make this Body Beast rotation work well by pumping up the rotation with other elements.

This is a great thread. I still haven't received Body Beast (it was supposed to arrive yesterday but as of this morning the tracking info has changed to "unknown" as to when it will be delivered:() but when I finally receive it and start putting together my Body Beast rotation this thread has given me a lot of ideas. I will supplement with additional stretching and cardio. I have an hour to workout in the mornings, so the length of the workouts makes it perfect for all kinds of add ons. Plus, at least from what I can gather, the workout schedule doesn't have you working out 7 days a week, so I can add in a yoga day, too. But I will use Cathe's stretches and core work as add ons--also, for cardio there is her X10, Tabatacise, TTM and CF tabata/HIIT premixes + I have Zuzuka's cardio and strength workouts (all under 20 minutes), Bob Harper's Skinny Rules WODs (also all under 20 minutes), Mindy Mylrea;s HIIT/tabata collections and other short, intense cardio (TurboFire HIITs)--all of which could help round out the workouts to about an hour. So I think I can really make this Body Beast rotation work well by pumping up the rotation with other elements.

Jen,

Are you doing BB to the letter or you are adding your usual weekly cardio frequency?;):)

Jen,

Are you doing BB to the letter or you are adding your usual weekly cardio frequency?;):)

I'm not sure. It hasn't arrived yet, so I'm not sure what the workout calendar/schedule looks like. I workout 6-7 days a week and, as long as I'm not working overtime, I usually do doubles as well 4 days a week. So depending on what the workout calendar looks like then maybe. I do know the length of each workout, so for now at least, I know I will be using add ons to round out each workout to approx. 1 hour. So I will be getting more cardio/stretching/abs than the calendar will call for--at least in that aspect. Now, if the calendar only has me working out 4-5 days a week, then yes, I will be adding more. A long yoga/stretching workout at the very least.

I just found a calendar online for it. So it looks like only one rest day. So the plan then is, if I am working overtime, I will use that rest day for a long yoga workout. If I am not working overtime, I will use my doubles workouts for shorter yoga/stretch workouts and short cardio workouts--and actually use that one rest day as a real rest day--no working out. And either way, I'll still be using add ons to make my morning workout time equal an hour. (BTW--I am currently working overtime about 2 weeks out of every month and I know when I'm working them in advance so I can structure my rotations in advance.)

To Jen,

I know you do usually do a lot of cardio per week. BB calendar limit cardio to oncer per week. Are you happy with the rotation as designed by Beachbody or you are going to add cardio;);)

I wish i could do it now. Just so much going on. I am going on holiday saturday the 09th of August.

To Jen,

I know you do usually do a lot of cardio per week. BB calendar limit cardio to oncer per week. Are you happy with the rotation as designed by Beachbody or you are going to add cardio;);)

I wish i could do it now. Just so much going on. I am going on holiday saturday the 09th of August.

I saw that. Yes, I will be doing more cardio--but not long cardio sessions. They will be short HIITs added on to the end of the strength workouts and when I am doing doubles they will be longer HIITs--like Cathe's HIIT workouts. I don't plan on overdoing the cardio, but (for me at least) one day of cardio a week isn't enough. I'll start out using the Body Beast cardio on the cardio day, but I'm sure after a few weeks that will get old and I'll start using other cardio workouts in place of it.

I still haven't decided when I'm going to start it. The loose idea right now is to start it on August 11. But my daughter is in the middle east right now (she is military) and will be back soon, so I will be going to see her as soon as she returns--that will obviously mess up my workout rotation. So not sure if I should just postpone starting it after I get back from seeing her (which would be about August 25). Actually, just looking at the dates now, I would only be able to do it one week before having it messed up when I go see her. So I guess I will just wait until August 25 to start it.

Like you, I am excited too and I don't want to wait!!!

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, I previewed the first workout and realized the blond background exerciser is Sean from The Bachelor! (yes, I'll admit to watching that show, haha!). I love how Sagi pokes fun at him for using lighter weights than he does (Sean is on a stability ball so that is a factor.) Sagi is goofy, but I do like him. Should be an interesting program.

I ordered Body Beast tonight. Looking for a program that doesn't take 70-90 minutes but I believe it is a six day program:( O well for $49 how can I go wrong:rolleyes:I've lost about 20 lbs since I ended sts and really need to reverse that trend.Hopefully Body Beast and protein shakes are the answer:cool:

Oh my gosh, I previewed the first workout and realized the blond background exerciser is Sean from The Bachelor! (yes, I'll admit to watching that show, haha!). I love how Sagi pokes fun at him for using lighter weights than he does (Sean is on a stability ball so that is a factor.) Sagi is goofy, but I do like him. Should be an interesting program.

LOL!! I think Sagi calls him Barbie!:D Too funny. I really like these workouts so far. Hope you will as well.

Jamie, have you used the amount of weight you thought you would use? I've previewed 2 workouts so far and penciled in on the worksheets the weight I thought I would use, but I have a feeling once I'm doing the workouts (I start next week), I won't be going as heavy as I thought I could.

Jamie, have you used the amount of weight you thought you would use? I've previewed 2 workouts so far and penciled in on the worksheets the weight I thought I would use, but I have a feeling once I'm doing the workouts (I start next week), I won't be going as heavy as I thought I could.

You know it really depended on the exercise as some moved really quickly so I had to lighten up and then others, like the pullover, I have to go heavier next time - just depends on the sequencing. I think with legs next time i'll go at my own pace with the heavier weight and pause the dvd until I'm done all reps - legs also was a bit short for what I like to do so I added 20 minutes of some floor work after and am pleasantly sore today - even had trouble doing some of Cathe's plyo work! Those giant sets are quite tiring but I can see how this is aimed at the home exerciser who doesn't have a lot of weights as you wouldn't be able to use your usual weight and then go right into another exercise. Tomorrow's cardio and abs so we'll see how Sagi compares to Cathe!:p

That was my thought - it really depends on the set. And that was my plan...add on to the shorter workouts. Please keep us posted on your progress!

Cupcake, I didn't get the triangle effect that you described from doing P90X, but I think I get what you mean---lots of push-ups and pull-ups in P90X and the leg work was minimal (and boring, since there is only one leg DVD). I think Body Beast is much more balanced and works all muscle groups in a more well-rounded fashion. The exercises are definitely suitable for women...I don't really know of any exercises that aren't suitable for women. I just add more cardio because, as I said in an earlier post, I need my cardio fix! As far as leg routines go, Body Beast has TWO leg videos and they are exclusively for legs (no pull-ups involved like P90X). Nobody knows how to work the legs like Cathe, though, so there are times when I will do a Cathe leg DVD instead for the variety and because I miss Cathe. ;)

Didn't Cathe mention going heavy on shrugs gives you big traps? I don't remember which DVD it was, but that always freaked me out. Lol. I think there is a difference in how you train for females vs males though. I guess it depends what look you're going for. Do you think this will work if what I want is more an athletic build but not Bikini/Fitness look? Not that i think that would ever happen but I mean...no offense...not overly muscled?

Didn't Cathe mention going heavy on shrugs gives you big traps? I don't remember which DVD it was, but that always freaked me out. Lol. I think there is a difference in how you train for females vs males though. I guess it depends what look you're going for. Do you think this will work if what I want is more an athletic build but not Bikini/Fitness look? Not that i think that would ever happen but I mean...no offense...not overly muscled?

Yes training need to be set according to the look you are looking for. Training need to be set depending on the goal should it be aesthetics, health or performance related. You get what you put into as long as you set the program meeting the goal.

knowing the body type is certainly the starting point in my opinion. It is part of knowing ourselves. Going heavy on shrugs now and then is not going to transform a female frame into incredible hulk!:cool::eek:

Working lateral raise can also slightly hit traps going heavy and raising a long lever beyond the shoulders. Pull ups the triangle shape can be avoided by not gripping too wide too often.

How heavy does it need to be? HEAVY is relative.

Women are simply not lifting heavy enough. Yes women train differently from men, again depending on the goal.

Training excessive metabolic training with light weight is not going to change a body composition. It simply not going to happen. IMO

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.